Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

NotJustANumber99 posted:

its also usually bollocks

sure. it’s one of those things like“I know my rights”, a threat display designed to warn you you’re dealing with a petty bastard who fully intends to make your life a misery if you don’t give them what they want.

sad thing is it often works, unless you happen to be better than them at petty bastardry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I have read the Magna Carta, you know :mad:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I prefer the original Manga Carta.

kecske posted:

otherwise normal, functional family units can fall apart as soon as theres money to be had from an estate to settle. Cash sums like that suddenly being within grasping distance make people go nuts
One of my grandad's brothers died and left everything to his 2 brothers. Not even a huge amount, maybe a few grand after his funeral costs were taken care of.

It was supposed to go mostly to my grandad, but the youngest brother decided to contest it and hired a solicitor. Then he started insisting that his solicitor's fees should come out before the estate was divided up.

Then he went full Trump, hiring solicitor after solicitor and firing them when they told him he would never get what he wanted, like it was now a legal impossibility and also he owed more money to solicitors than he stood to get if successful.

He had the loving cheek to turn up while they were sorting probate for my grandad and start demanding my mam sign some forms, but she stood her ground, which I'm proud of her for.

As far as we know he's still chasing lawyers and racking up bills.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I prefer the original Manga Carta.
I heard that the remoaners never read it and only watch the subs :mad:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The essex space program sending an indignant, rat faced woman up with 2 Big Lads and a facebook live uplink in a modified corsa.

They better call my agent, I'm busy atm

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

You can't prove the subs are better if you can't read the original Latin

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Guavanaut posted:

i wouldn't have even watched the sub if she hadn't been PM for a month and a half

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Lembit convinced my grandma not to give me anything in her will, arguing that because I had changed my name from Opik I shouldn't get anything that was an Opik's. She had always been deeply, deeply opposed to me changing my name (This was the first time, before I transitioned) so this was an easy sell. I hadn't even expected to get my dad's entire share or anything, I hadn't expected anything, but I had politely asked if I could be included for a small fraction of whatever came from selling her house when she passed, on the grounds that I'm disabled and without any real prospects (And at the time I had been engaged and intending to move to America, adding plenty of expenses) so getting a few grand would make an immense difference to me whilst Lembit and my aunt would have barely missed that from their shares. Nope. Also then I wasn't even informed when she died, which was kinda lovely and I don't know whether to attribute it to simple malice or a desire to keep me away from any possibility of contesting the will.

So yeah long story short big sympathy fuct, it's a poo poo situation to be placed in.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've been told it's why there's so many derelict rural run down properties in France where they've been split so many times between family that no one can agree what to do with them that they just end up blocked and left to ruin.

smh they should have played Crusader Kings 3, that'd teach them why equal inheritance is a bad idea right quick

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i wouldn't have even watched the sub if she hadn't been PM for a month and a half

Brendan Rodgers posted:

You can't prove the subs are better if you can't read the original Latin
Oh is that what Nadine's book about Liz vs Alexander de Boris is all about?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ms Adequate posted:

[snip]
So yeah long story short big sympathy fuct, it's a poo poo situation to be placed in.

I'm sorry you had lovely relatives too. <hugs>

I'm rubber-banding a lot going from wanting to walk away from it all, and wanting to go in fighting, but I don't like the person I feel I start becoming when I focus about the money and the injustice of it all. Everything about my mum and brother is toxic, and I broke away from that family to feel less toxic, so I'm really debating if it's worth challenging any of it, or even turning up at the funeral.

Most of the estate is tied up in the house, and it will be a while before that can go to market let alone be sold so I have time to decide a path without emotions steering my decisions. She only died around 10 days or so. It might even be less than that. I didn't actually make a note to remember the day as it won't be a day I'll give two shits about with each yearly cycle. I've felt no actual mourning sensations, and probably don't expect to. I think I mourned her long ago.

But one thing that's worth publicly mentioning here, I've written a few times about a certain relative who worked undercover in NI in the 90's. gently caress protecting that war-criming murdering oval office, but it's my brother. He's issued at least one death threat -"I will loving kill you!" in my last phone call with him - which is pretty direct. So if I am suddenly murdered, Pete did it. He has experience stalking and killing civilians on UK soil, and yes, he would probably consider killing me if it would secure him an extra £12,500 cut as he's killed for a lot less when working for the govt. One of the few times I saw him in recent years, he crushed my windpipe at the family dinner table because I dared to criticise his raising of his son....

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

fuctifino posted:

I'm sorry you had lovely relatives too. <hugs>

I'm rubber-banding a lot going from wanting to walk away from it all, and wanting to go in fighting, but I don't like the person I feel I start becoming when I focus about the money and the injustice of it all. Everything about my mum and brother is toxic, and I broke away from that family to feel less toxic, so I'm really debating if it's worth challenging any of it, or even turning up at the funeral.

Most of the estate is tied up in the house, and it will be a while before that can go to market let alone be sold so I have time to decide a path without emotions steering my decisions. She only died around 10 days or so. It might even be less than that. I didn't actually make a note to remember the day as it won't be a day I'll give two shits about with each yearly cycle. I've felt no actual mourning sensations, and probably don't expect to. I think I mourned her long ago.

But one thing that's worth publicly mentioning here, I've written a few times about a certain relative who worked undercover in NI in the 90's. gently caress protecting that war-criming murdering oval office, but it's my brother. He's issued at least one death threat -"I will loving kill you!" in my last phone call with him - which is pretty direct. So if I am suddenly murdered, Pete did it. He has experience stalking and killing civilians on UK soil, and yes, he would probably consider killing me if it would secure him an extra £12,500 cut as he's killed for a lot less when working for the govt. One of the few times I saw him in recent years, he crushed my windpipe at the family dinner table because I dared to criticise his raising of his son....

Mate can you not completely cut ties and never see these people again? You shouldn't be seeing someone who's hurt you and threatened you. Please be safe.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

gently caress cutting ties, i'd be getting a restraining order. Jesus.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does sound like to put that right you would need an artillery barrage rather than a lawyer.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Changing the subject to UK stuff - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67608097

quote:

'Labour won't turn on spending taps' says Starmer

[quote]Sir Keir Starmer is to warn that the UK will face "huge constraints" on public spending if his party win the next General Election.

On Monday, he will say anyone expecting an incoming Labour government "to quickly turn on the spending taps is going to be disappointed".

Growing the economy is set to be a battleground for both Labour and the Conservatives at the next election.

quote:

In a speech to economists and think-tanks later on Monday, Sir Keir will say economic growth "will have to become Labour's obsession if we are to turn around the economy".

But he will argue that decisions taken from the government and previous Conservative administrations for the past 13 years "will constrain what a future Labour government can do".

Austerity 2.0 here we go!!!!! :toot:

HopperUK posted:

Mate can you not completely cut ties and never see these people again? You shouldn't be seeing someone who's hurt you and threatened you. Please be safe.

The nephew, his son, is the executor. There's not even an intermediary solicitor I can contact, and the nephew completely blocked me on social media at the time the will was changed. I have no other contact for the family than my brother's mobile, and I think he's blocked me now. The old parental landline now goes to someone's mobile, and there's no answering service. Mum, in her narcissistic wisdom also decided to give Pete my new home address as well as my telephone number after I'd cut all contact with him for 13 years. Yay, fun times :toot:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 4, 2023

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Will actually sell the taps to fund economic growth.

fatninja187
Oct 4, 2013

Beware the ninja

If we are sharing lovely relative stories...

My mum died when i was 19 and my dad re-married shortly after. I wasn't happy about it but at the same time i didn't want dad to spend the rest of his life on his own, so i was civil with my step mum. My dad dies about 10 years later and i find that under her urging he had written a new will, cutting me out and leaving everything to her. She promptly sold the house and all of the stuff in it, throwing away everything that could not be sold (pictures etc) and hosed off with everything.

Guess i was too in shock to think clearly not to mention broke so no solicitor for me. At the time i remember thinking 'oh the money isn't important' now hurtling towards 40 and unable to afford my own home, facing the prospect of renting forever, yeah the money was important.

But mostly it soured my memory of my father and made me see him as a weak pathetic man.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Funny to think those Victorian novels where the plot revolves around a dying relative and a contested will are still relevant today.

Someone should do a 21st century update, I'd read that.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
How about a story where your new stepdad tells you that you can't have any money from the estate because it would crowd out your ability to increase your own salary through innovation, and also decrease the value of the estate which must at all costs be kept untouched and immaculate in perpetuity.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Happy 4 December - the 45th anniversary of the raid on Cynthia Payne’s house in Ambleside Avenue, Streatham, in which police found men (including, apparently, a Lord, an MP, and some vicars) queueing on the stairs waiting to pay for sex with luncheon vouchers, to all who celebrate.

https://mulberryhall.medium.com/odd-this-day-036f6ff4d4a1

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Pistol_Pete posted:

Funny to think those Victorian novels where the plot revolves around a dying relative and a contested will are still relevant today.

Someone should do a 21st century update, I'd read that.

One of Iain Banks last books - The Steep Approach to Garbadale - is kind of this. It's also about the morality of interventionism and incest because etc.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Zalakwe posted:

One of Iain Banks last books - The Steep Approach to Garbadale - is kind of this. It's also about the morality of interventionism and incest because etc.

Steep Approach to Garbadale is a good read.

The TV show Succession is pretty much about this too.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

smellmycheese posted:

Happy 4 December - the 45th anniversary of the raid on Cynthia Payne’s house in Ambleside Avenue, Streatham, in which police found men (including, apparently, a Lord, an MP, and some vicars) queueing on the stairs waiting to pay for sex with luncheon vouchers, to all who celebrate.

https://mulberryhall.medium.com/odd-this-day-036f6ff4d4a1

Who'd want to have sex with a luncheon voucher? Bunch of pervs.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

sebzilla posted:

if they will pay, where do I get the luncheon vouchers?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

sebzilla posted:

unforgettable luncheon

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The luncheon vouchers were the cornerstone of her cunning system. Kind of like ride tickets at the funfair.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Out of date luncheon vouchers got me acting unwise.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I think honestly he could lose just about everyone as long as he's still perceived as less bad than the tories in whatever way people want to define "bad"

There is no alternative through the electoral system, you get him or you get the tories. One of them has to win even if everyone stays home.

We had a Coalition that disagrees with you there (or the other alternative is the SNP), if enough Labour voters do sack it off.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

The TV show Succession is pretty much about this too.

The thing with Succession is that you don't want any of the fail-children to actually get the inheritance, there's no one to root for, it's just awful people being awful for about 40 hours.

It's very well done for what it is, and worth watching, but not really one-to-one with the conversation so far :ohdear:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Rappaport posted:

there's no one to root for

Not even The Disgusting Brothers?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

You never hear about Toyah Wilcox anymore, do you? Anneka Rice, neither.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Succession is one of the best TV shows ever made IMO. It has one of the best soundtracks too

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Not even The Disgusting Brothers?

No :colbert:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If I wanted to watch awful people being awful for about 40 hours I would watch Always Sunny, because at least that's a comedy

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There are a bunch of things that don't count toward the savings limit bullshit, you just need to find them or get an accountant who knows.

I don't think Vanguard accounts count (because they're not savings, they're ✨iNvEsTmEnTs✨), and it would give you a bit of a passive income.

Vanguard accounts do count, as they're technically capital (shares/investments/funds all count). Basically anything that isn't your own home or assets held in trust (which usually includes undrawn pensions) counts. Also giving the money away or spending it can count if the DWP feels like you're doing it to get more benefits (there is no strict guidance, just whether the assessor feels like being a twat or not). The easiest option for this amount would be to spend at least some of it, preferably on something defensible (eg wheelchair upgrades, home improvements etc). It's going to depend on when (if?!) the money turns up and whether it's all as one lump sum or as a bunch of payments. At the moment it's all technically held in trust by the executor so until probate's sorted it doesn't count either.

If I were in fuct's situation I'd take the 25k and say bollocks to it and them, having been through a multi-year legal battle over an inheritance it's extremely stressful and can easily cost more than you'll potentially get[1]. And that's without death threats.

If the other beneficiaries were reasonable then it's very easy and quite common to get a deed of variation to alter the amounts in the will to include other people or share things more evenly, but that requires the other beneficiary(ies) to agree.

At the moment the ball's in the executor's court, but they do have a *legal* responsibility for which they have to swear an oath, to fulfil the contents of the will according to the law and not show favouritism for any beneficiary. So I'd be keeping an eye on them to actually submit probate properly and then distribute the residue accordingly (and no tricks like taking off fees or costs even though the will says they shouldn't or taking an unreasonable time to distribute after probate).

One thing I've learned is that getting a will done (I've got mine) reduces the number of problems that can happen after you die but they sure as poo poo do not eliminate them. Being honest, while you're still alive, about who's going to get what when you die would help a lot though.

[1] The classic cautionary tale about this is Bleak House, which is a fun watch when you're in the middle of an inheritance battle!

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Microplastics posted:

If I wanted to watch awful people being awful for about 40 hours I would watch Always Sunny, because at least that's a comedy

succession is also a comedy disguised as a prestige show

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

Ms Adequate posted:

You never hear about Toyah Wilcox anymore, do you? Anneka Rice, neither.

Toyah was high profile during lockdown with her sunday lunchtime youtubes. I'll leave it to the reader whether this was for fun home-spun musical performances, or to see an increasing acreage of thinly veiled boobage.

Anneka Rice, not so much.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ms Adequate posted:

You never hear about Toyah Wilcox anymore, do you?

You absolutely do if you're a fan of Robert Fripp. Or YouTube MILFs I guess

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

quote:

UK would be a climate leader again under Labour, vows Starmer
Exclusive: Labour leader tells Guardian at Cop28 that Britain is wanted back in ‘leading role’ as he accuses Sunak of retreating
x

Keith, you retreated on your own climate policy before you even got elected...

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Nuclear Spoon posted:

succession is also a comedy disguised as a prestige show

I read the Succession thread on here throughout the shows run and I feel like a lot of people were determined to see it as a serious drama rather than a sitcom of increasingly insane situations that is a direct successor of The Thick of It and Veep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

fuctifino posted:

Succession is one of the best TV shows ever made IMO. It has one of the best soundtracks too

fully agree that the show is brilliant, but the soundtrack is dreadful; that recurring faux-classical piano theme sounds like something you'd be subjected to as hold music on the phone to HMRC (and is repeated as much)