Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Mordiceius posted:

Rofl. Fuckin really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she's not the main character, but that's just because she doesn't get nearly enough respect.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Actually having proactive characters and not having everything revolve solely around the player is some of the best things this game does, hth you whiny baby.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

I'd say she is, because Mi-An is an anagram for "main", kinda like how in The Matrix, Neo is an anagram for "One", and he's The One

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Mordiceius posted:

I just really really like her personality. She’s so just genuine and nice and fun and it just makes me want to be her friend in a way I don’t feel towards other characters.

Yeah I kinda felt bad going for Amirah instead but I guess that's something for my second playthrough.

On that note it's a bummer Amirah's romance quest is bugged so #1 workshop in Winter doesn't count.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

I found the first actual threatening fight I've encountered against some large bird in the desert to the West/Northwest. Did a ton of damage when it hit me. It gave me a ton of relics and like 10 Chromium Bars, which is very good at my current point since I don't have any other obvious ways to get them.

I ran into that thing and went through a few cycles of it charging at me before I pulled out the gun and shot it like 20 times

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Venti isn't the only one who's awkwardly flirting with you.

That's the thing I rather liked. If you let people know you're interested, sometimes you have to actually give them a Heart Knot in order to start a relationship, but some of them will go "you're clearly interested, so am I, let's see how this goes." And then there's the two that will fall for you all on their own. It's nice!

Although speaking of Amirah, I ran into a slight problem with her. My initial plan was "hit on all the girls, then marry Nia when she comes back into town." Except I started really liking Catori, and wound up having to break it off with Heidi and Venti (Heidi was angry and disappointed, Venti was devastated :(), that's how these things go. But I had Amirah's "become #1 and take her on four dates" side mission, and if there's a way to drop it, I don't know what it is. Getting top rank workshop is going to happen, and the only time it's ever really a question is the first month because you're still tooling up and can only take one commission per day anyway, but I still had the mission and had to take her on four dates.

So I had to take her on four dates, and then at the end, tell her I didn't want this anymore, so she called me an rear end in a top hat. I didn't want to play these games with her heart, but I was trapped by mechanics. :negative:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Question about overall progress but I’m looking to avoid spoiling too much.

If you’re at the point where you just built the water tower, about how far are you into the story?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Question about overall progress but I’m looking to avoid spoiling too much.

If you’re at the point where you just built the water tower, about how far are you into the story?

About 20%.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Uh, wow. Ok, thanks.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah, I'm at the 60% mark according to my ps5 menu. Game's long and I don't think it's dragged at all. Well worth the $40.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I talked to some Chinese players on the official discord about the voice direction and most said that mi-an in the CN version talks like a "snake", as in someone who secretly schemes against you. Seems like it's missing the mark quite a bit considering her actions

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

This is such an insane take to me when the game bends over to an embarrassing degree to suck the player off past a certain point. You're the best builder, the best fighter, get all the plum projects, have the richest man in the free cities come up to you and say you're gonna be his personal guy for the tunnel project because you're "the best", explicitly cutting Mi-an out of the project, every faction that exists in the game thinks you're super special and wants to recruit you, the list goes on and on and on.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Does the Chinese dub Cooper also talk like Boomhauer?

And there's no need to break up with people! You can date lots of people at the same time! I find it fun to do their romance quests.

I'm planning on marrying Fang because he's such a gentle soul and I heard he has the most post marriage content.

Question about X: X often switches between this feminine voice and his parrot voice. Did Fangs late mother give him X as a pet? The impression I get is that the crow was imitating dialogue he heard as a chick when Fangs mother was still around.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I saw some speculation on the Steam forums that Mi-an basically disappearing from the plot past a certain point was a massive overcorrection to early feedback about her.

As for the breakups, yeah technically I don't have to, but I'd rather break it off to their face like an adult than have them dump me because they see me on a date with Catori (which they didn't, because I was Solid Snaking that poo poo like a pro), or worse, have them find out I'm serious about someone else when I get married. Because they do not like it when you marry someone else.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MechaCrash posted:

I saw some speculation on the Steam forums that Mi-an basically disappearing from the plot past a certain point was a massive overcorrection to early feedback about her.

That sucks if true. Gamers are truly the worst.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

MechaCrash posted:

If so Act 3 seems to be a re-correction back from the initial over-correction because she gets to do a lot more again including single-handedly getting the school funded and built to its full potential and is equally collaborative with the player in most of the end-game mega projects.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Yeah I understood it as Mi-an handling the rest of the regular commissions that you never see while you handle your 4-a-day and the big ticket items. She outright says as much when you talk to her right after the Musa meeting.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Yeah, Mi-An is constantly working even if we don't exactly see it. There's at least 1 if not 2 quests that directly deal with her working herself to death and the importance of taking breaks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I just like Mi-an because she doesn't act like she's in competition with the player. She very much feels like she has a "We're in this together, so lets both work together and do our best." But I guess people want every other builder to be the Higgins type of "I'm going to be aggressively competitive but also suck."

With Mi-an, she's the first character I've experienced across games like this (Portia, Sandrock, Stardew, and others) where I just really enjoy every time she's around. She's nice and friendly without being overbearing or having ulterior motives and it doesn't come across as omg hero worship either. She's just kind and shows the player respect as a colleague. It makes me want to be the overbearing obsessive friend.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I like when you’re investigating Andy in Bronco the kid disguise how you end up doing the entire quest without her and she’s like “oh I was working on that too I was just about to reveal his secret, darn you beat me to it, let’s investigate together next time”

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Cooper loving rules. He's the best character in the game.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I assume Mi-an is just permanently stuck grinding bloodstone and clay like I was.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Tired Moritz posted:

I assume Mi-an is just permanently stuck grinding bloodstone and clay like I was.

I kinda wish Mi-an’s workshop grew as you progressed the story; no way she’s taking up the slack with a single civil recycler. Maybe she can’t expand because of town noise ordinances; she’s hamstrung by the small town NIMBYs around her!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

chami posted:

I kinda wish Mi-an’s workshop grew as you progressed the story; no way she’s taking up the slack with a single civil recycler. Maybe she can’t expand because of town noise ordinances; she’s hamstrung by the small town NIMBYs around her!

Look Rian can't get his 15 hours of sleep and wake up at 2 in the afternoon with a busy industrial site a ross the road.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Rian got Dan-Bi knocked up and now she's stuck with his lazy rear end.

This reminds me, I never see these types of games have NPCs that get divorced. Some games more on rails might have NPCs get married/have kids as the story progresses, but I guess breaking up with each other is too much of a bummer.

I'd certainly like to hear Catori's ex husband's side of what happened with them, since something tells me she's not telling us the whole truth about their breakup. It comes off like a r/relationship story that starts with "Had to break up with my unsupportive spouse" and ends up admitting she spent his student loan check on bitcoin or something.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Speaking of Mi-An, is it possible to marry her "too early?" I heard that some of the story bits involving her can look weird because they don't recognize you as her spouse.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I heard if you get married she'll break into your house and loom over your baby's crib menacingly while asking if you want to hang out. And if you divorce your current spouse she'll immediately propose to you or something.

Dunno if it's just a funny confluence of bugs in the scripting and triggers but it sounds like some hilarious Lifetime Movie kind of poo poo.

"Next on Lifetime, A Bridge to Nowhere: The heartfelt confessions of a fellow builder's dangerous obsession"

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Godlessdonut posted:

they don't recognize you as her spouse.
For the most part, this is pretty much it as I recall (and for as far as I've gotten in the story, which is I think the final combat dungeon). There was one story mission where she was actively off at another location for a few days which I think prevented her from doing workshop assistant things and forced her to cancel on the birthday party for me that she gave me a sidequest to hold (not sure how the game would've handled it if it was her birthday). That mission aside though, as long as you accept that the story won't acknowledge that you're married even if being married might otherwise affect something the story is doing, then you're free to marry her whenever.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

JavaJesus posted:

For the most part, this is pretty much it as I recall (and for as far as I've gotten in the story, which is I think the final combat dungeon). There was one story mission where she was actively off at another location for a few days which I think prevented her from doing workshop assistant things and forced her to cancel on the birthday party for me that she gave me a sidequest to hold (not sure how the game would've handled it if it was her birthday). That mission aside though, as long as you accept that the story won't acknowledge that you're married even if being married might otherwise affect something the story is doing, then you're free to marry her whenever.

I guess I can live with that, thanks!

Panfilo posted:

I heard if you get married she'll break into your house and loom over your baby's crib menacingly while asking if you want to hang out. And if you divorce your current spouse she'll immediately propose to you or something.

Dunno if it's just a funny confluence of bugs in the scripting and triggers but it sounds like some hilarious Lifetime Movie kind of poo poo.

"Next on Lifetime, A Bridge to Nowhere: The heartfelt confessions of a fellow builder's dangerous obsession"

Well, she'll have no reason to stalk me if I marry her in the first place.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mordiceius posted:

I just like Mi-an because she doesn't act like she's in competition with the player. She very much feels like she has a "We're in this together, so lets both work together and do our best." But I guess people want every other builder to be the Higgins type of "I'm going to be aggressively competitive but also suck."

With Mi-an, she's the first character I've experienced across games like this (Portia, Sandrock, Stardew, and others) where I just really enjoy every time she's around. She's nice and friendly without being overbearing or having ulterior motives and it doesn't come across as omg hero worship either. She's just kind and shows the player respect as a colleague. It makes me want to be the overbearing obsessive friend.

Yeah, I'm having difficulty articulating just exactly why I like Sandrock's characters so much, but holy crap did they knock them out of the park. By the end of the game, you know everyone, and they've all got their little quirks and feel a lot more like people, rather than NPCs with a gimmick. Maybe it's just all the stuff that goes on in town around you, like Cooper and Hugo being in a band and playing on the stage, the church folks running around checking trees and helping with the farm, Mi-an doing the same thing you do running around to collect resources, the town getting together for story time, etc. etc.

There's just so much happening, and the social web that the characters have is really easy to see and very prominent, so even if you don't interact directly with some folks (like Pablo, who was often in his shop when I was in the area), you still see that the rumor mill gets around to him, and then he starts spreading that further to others.

It's just neat, well done, and some of the best NPC interaction I have ever had in a game. The difference between Sandrock and Portia is staggering when it comes to the NPC quality.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Well just finished up my first year in Sandrock over the weekend. I'm glad I took a chance on this game, I hadn't really been able to get into this genre before but I'm hooked now.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Spoilers for stuff around A Bridge Too Far main quest

I really do enjoy how these characters develop, I mean, what the hell, I did NOT expect Elsie to get a glow up like that this game is great lmao

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

FireWorksWell posted:

I really do enjoy how these characters develop, I mean, what the hell, I did NOT expect Elsie to get a glow up like that this game is great lmao

Neither did I and it conpletely changed my opinion of them.

This game does a superb job of making the town feel alive. Characters change, some leave, new ones arrive, the town itself gets new structures. Sure, there are not too many interactions with most of the new people, butI'm not upset because this game has enough people in it already.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

Lmao I had been ignoring her mostly all game until that moment and I resolved this time around to be nicer to her.

How long can you put off progression and how limited is it I wonder -- thinking of if someone could theoretically stick around on the most basic tier of progression to stall out days to maximize friendship with every current resident just to see what happens with story bits clearly meant to be more introductory or for their early character development.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Lmao I had been ignoring her mostly all game until that moment and I resolved this time around to be nicer to her.

How long can you put off progression and how limited is it I wonder -- thinking of if someone could theoretically stick around on the most basic tier of progression to stall out days to maximize friendship with every current resident just to see what happens with story bits clearly meant to be more introductory or for their early character development.

There are lines for getting married, having a kid and getting divorced with Mason still in town.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh wow, very interesting. It's the opposite of my playstyle to try it myself, but I am going to try and build up friendship way earlier than last time and marry Pierre before his official heel turn reveal.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Oh wow, very interesting. It's the opposite of my playstyle to try it myself, but I am going to try and build up friendship way earlier than last time and marry Pierre before his official heel turn reveal.

Do you mean Pen? You can't marry him, apparently, he's a fuckboy. He just rejects you every time. It's on Youtube.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

A Sometimes Food posted:

There are lines for getting married, having a kid and getting divorced with Mason still in town.

wtf how would this even be possible :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sydin posted:

wtf how would this even be possible :psyduck:

He won't leave til you fix the stage I think?