Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

fins posted:

laser chat: a ~1kw fibre laser in a rust cleaning setup similar to this will heat the surface to 500-600 C. the photothermal effect will ablate any oxide layer, oil films, garbage juice etc present. source: me, the laser haver. (and "Effect of laser surface cleaning of corroded 304L stainless steel on microstructure and mechanical properties", HJ Yoo et al, 2022)

So what you’re saying is, anything left is a bad mother fucker and soap and water probably won’t help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
laser guy here:

any laser like that flat out is going to be a class 4 laser

while class 4 lasers are like always dangerous, it also depends on the wavelength of the light. anything in the infrared range spectrum is doubly so, your eyes will fail the oh poo poo blink response that can prevent huge damage.

anything over class 1 lasers i still reccomend dedicated safety goggles rated for the wavelength of the pew pew you are operating, hitting something that throws a weird reflection thats deflected and concentrated back into your your eye sucks.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

LifeSunDeath posted:

confirm or deny: safety squints totally safe with derusting lasers?

quote:

A pop or click noise emanating from the eyeball may be the only indication that retinal damage has occurred, i.e. the retina was heated to over 100 °C (212 °F) resulting in localized explosive boiling accompanied by the immediate creation of a permanent blind spot.

Seems fine to me.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
“A pop or click noise from the eye” is a new phrase that will live in my head right next to all the other phrases that dispassionately describe body horror, like “degloving” or “injuries incompatible with life”.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Snap, crackle and pop inside my eyeball.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
still have a couple dead pixels in 1 eye after a class 2 laser reflected off some chrome weird and scared the poo poo out of me.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

still have a couple dead pixels in 1 eye after a class 2 laser reflected off some chrome weird and scared the poo poo out of me.
It's so interesting to me to refer to this as dead pixels when you're talking about a biological eye because it gives a very vivid example of what you're describing in a way that works differently from your eye. It's a good description.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Kith posted:

did you know that the air can have a voltage

https://i.imgur.com/diHqA6I.mp4

How else did you think wind power worked?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Does the brain eventually learn to interpolate over the “dead pixels” in the same way that you don’t notice the natural blind spot where the optic nerve meets the eye? Or is it more obvious because the dead pixels are somewhere like the center of your vision instead of off to the side like the blind spot is?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Luneshot posted:

Does the brain eventually learn to interpolate over the “dead pixels” in the same way that you don’t notice the natural blind spot where the optic nerve meets the eye? Or is it more obvious because the dead pixels are somewhere like the center of your vision instead of off to the side like the blind spot is?

Yes which is what makes it scary depending on the size. A truck could be about to plow into you but your brain just fills in that spot with vague colors of what it thinks should be there like sky, so you don't even know you have a blind spot

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Luneshot posted:

good question:

since i wasnt focussing on the deflections they are fortunately not DIRECTLY in the center of view they are roughly about 30 degrees offset from my focal center in my right eye. this however is annoying as gently caress on a fairly regular basis, like "oh i see a few gnats" then you try to focus on it and it moves with your eye movements also i always have to triple take when i actually see a dead pixel in a screen. use your safety specs i was lucky, after like 15 years working with the big boy lasers and instructing folks in laser safety, dead pixels happen when you get complacent and sloppy even with lower powered lasers. if it were a class 4 that eye would be useless in like femtoseconds your blink reflex isnt fast enough beat the speed of light to save you on a visible light one, and if its IR thats where yeah you are gonna cook your poo poo because your eyes cant "see" it but its still like watts(or kilowatts) of power getting delivered directly on your optics.

be safe with lasers kids.

e: if you really are curious as to the specifics each type of laser (if its licensed and inspected) have a reccomended NOHD and ENOHD, NOHD describes just looking directly at it with naked eyes, and ENOHD talks about deflections, refractions and looking at it with vision aids like glasses, binoculars and optics. lasers (SHOULD) have a certification that you should be familiar with and should have a certificate much like chemicals have safety guidelines.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 4, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

So it's like your nose in that you don't normally see it until you think about it, then when you do it's really annoying.
E: Oh or glasses.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
or how you dont pay attention to your tongue existing. but yes very apt description.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

or how you dont pay attention to your tongue existing.

:argh:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you started it with the loving nose thing

:colbert:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Grey Cat posted:

So it's like your nose in that you don't normally see it until you think about it, then when you do it's really annoying.
E: Oh or glasses.

or how you dont pay attention to your tongue existing. but yes very apt description.

Biting my tongue while looking at my nose and the rims of my glasses.

I'm at work, so it's an OSHA appropriate post...

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
just take some deep manual breaths while being aware of that small itch somewhere on your body

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Montague Tigg posted:

just take some deep manual breaths while being aware of that small itch somewhere on your body

Joke's on you, I was already aware of the multiple small itches.

Also, I don't recommend playing with carbon rods and an old PSU to melt metals; the arc light sparks they make are Really Very Bright. I don't think I have any blind spots, but I do have a blob and another small spot that shows up if I blink while tired or my blood sugar is low. Fortunately well outside the center.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Computer viking posted:

Joke's on you, I was already aware of the multiple small itches.

Also, I don't recommend playing with carbon rods and an old PSU to melt metals; the arc light sparks they make are Really Very Bright. I don't think I have any blind spots, but I do have a blob and another small spot that shows up if I blink while tired or my blood sugar is low. Fortunately well outside the center.

Wait, did you make a rudimentary stick welder out of a power supply for a PC? Thread appropriate as gently caress if so.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
another time safety squint aint

:laffo:

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Warning: None

https://twitter.com/bubblegumoctopu/status/1731568478505611419

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Insane price for it too.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

It pops up on Amazon from time to time too, and usually around Christmas.

Most common use is using a generator to burn down your house, 2nd most common is cause someone strung up the Christmas lights backwards and wants to connect the female end to the outlet.

I wonder how many Christmas lights you see every year have a hot male plug on the end of them.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I've got a hot male plug right here!!

Oh my bad that's just a regular extension cord.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
WARNING: None

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Just make them with a fuse.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you have been none more warned

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

No. 6 posted:

Just make them with a fuse.

Hmm the fuse keeps blowing, but replacing it with a nail does the trick. 👍

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Stoatbringer posted:

Hmm the fuse keeps blowing, but replacing it with a nail does the trick. 👍

I didn't know I could use my finger nails to transmit electricity! BRB, have an outlet to touch.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I know that is dumb, but what would happen if you plugged that in? Would standard voltage immediately arc? Or would it just lie in wait ready to gently caress something or someone up at the first chance?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

It's not unsafe if the prongs don't touch

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

deoju posted:

I know that is dumb, but what would happen if you plugged that in? Would standard voltage immediately arc? Or would it just lie in wait ready to gently caress something or someone up at the first chance?

It would lie in wait for the male ends to touch anything mildly conductive. Such as human flesh!

mobby_6kl posted:

It's not unsafe if the prongs don't touch

You have to say “no conducto” first

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

deoju posted:

It's like if you stick a fork in an electrical socket except the electrical socket carries its own fork attached at all times.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
And the extra fun part is that HOT MALE PLUG is not only exposed, but probably chilling on the roof.

Get some debris up there and baby you got a roof fire goin.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

These signs make me laugh, because that's how you hook a boat up to shore power. There will be signs warning you to plug in the boat first so that you don't accidently electrify your section of the marina.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

you started it with the loving nose thing

:colbert:

Welcome to grundle awarenesses hour.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

deoju posted:

The best case scenario is it touches something conductive that you don't care about, it arcs and trips the breaker and you go "Wow that was really loving stupid of me i'm going to remove that"

Worst case is a death that takes a minute or two and hurts the entire time you're dying as your entire body locks up and you can't let go and you can't scream for help.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

nomad2020 posted:

These signs make me laugh, because that's how you hook a boat up to shore power. There will be signs warning you to plug in the boat first so that you don't accidently electrify your section of the marina.

Proof please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

It's a MacGyver taser!