Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

S.D. posted:

Gita Jackson (cofounder of Aftermath) claims Somerton made $170k/year on Patreon.

https://twitter.com/xoxogossipgita/status/1731437764523003915

I just started mumbling "How?", "Why?" etc... when Gita's name came up in that video. Then Vice, The Verge, etc.... These people and publications are pretty well known! Not even limiting your plagiarism to lesser known writers is just so unbelievably stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

"Helloooo this is Chef JOHN from FOOOOOD Wishes dot Com wiiitthhhhh...James Somerton's pickled balls! That's right"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I just started mumbling "How?", "Why?" etc... when Gita's name came up in that video. Then Vice, The Verge, etc.... These people and publications are pretty well known! Not even limiting your plagiarism to lesser known writers is just so unbelievably stupid.

I assume that when you start getting away with it you feel like you can take from bigger and bigger creators. Once you've had your first successful "actually I am a smol bean and this person is threatening to kill me" defence then you probably feel like you've got a good strategy that'll just keep working.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's going to be an interesting week watching the feeding frenzy as every video Somerton made gets poured over for plagiarism and fact checking + all the streams and social media posts people can find until all that's left is a skeletonized corpse.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

In case you're curious, he's lost 10% of his subscribers since the video was posted.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

In case you're curious, he's lost 10% of his subscribers since the video was posted.

he's taken down his patreon altogether, the trackers show a 10% drop but that's just how many he lost before he pulled the plug

https://www.patreon.com/jamessomerton

e: oh you meant youtube subs

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

If that's the case then I can totally see this guy disappearing into the ether, especially after deleting his discord and patreon and all other socials. That's passive income money if he saved it right

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The guy playing Keegan in the intro to the hbomberguy video looks like Caddicarus but he's not credited (as in Caddicarus or anyone else being that little cutout), which is weird since there's such an emphasis on crediting people with the whole plagiarism thing. I don't think hbomberguy is up to anything, it's just got me feeling weird.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

anyone know how much these guys make?

i know hbomb and shaun were making like $9k-$12k/mo. when their patreon was still public, and that was like 5 years ago

Doesn't answer your question but I've heard sponsorships can be very lucrative to the point where gaming streamers with a reliable 10k+ audience get offered like 10k USD per hour streaming a sponsored game, iirc. I imagine the numbers being similar if not much higher for sponsored videos with millions of views.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

That's a long way short of Dan Olsen. Sad.

how much does he make?

Pants Donkey posted:

Various sources say ad revenue from a YouTube video with millions of views caps at around $30K, but it’s hard to say for sure as I imagine there are a ton of variables. Especially when you consider in-video advertising deals. Swell Entertainment actually does a fantastic video every year breaking down her YouTube revenue, and you can see how much those ad deals pay out. I imagine they pay even more to a larger channel like Somerton or IH.

they cap around $30k? are you sure? ali abdal has one video where it did under 5 million and he said that alone brought in over $200k from ad revenue

S.D. posted:

Gita Jackson (cofounder of Aftermath) claims Somerton made $170k/year on Patreon.

https://twitter.com/xoxogossipgita/status/1731437764523003915

holy poo poo... :stare:

and that's just from patreon donations. that doesn't include yt ad revenue, sponsorships, any possible software/courses that he might also had, etc.

i gotta get my channel up and running..

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm sure he could resurface in a new scene with a shave, haircut, contact lenses, and scrambling his name into an anagram like Major Semen Sot. Though Mr. Jetsam Noose sounds cooler.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Spaced God posted:

If that's the case then I can totally see this guy disappearing into the ether, especially after deleting his discord and patreon and all other socials. That's passive income money if he saved it right

I'd be amazed, given he's clearly blown through the Telos money without making a single film. The guy relocated to Toronto basically on a whim.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh, man. I'm gonna confess to having actually been subscribed to Somerton's channel (until now, obviously!) and having enjoyed several of his videos.

Although...upon reflection, that shouldn't be a bad thing, 'cuz it's not as if that means I liked his ideas. Nah, it just means that I liked the ideas of the cooler people that he actually stole those ideas from!
:unsmith:

Though I will say! that I'm on the record, in this very thread, as having thought several of his opinions were in fact kinda sus. Not to be, like, "oh I always knew he was bad" -- 'cuz yeah, I obviously didn't always know he was bad -- but no matter how interesting his essays were, he still gave the impression of someone who really looked down on "mainstream" gays and mainstream gay content like Love Simon (and now we know why!). And his video on gay representation in video games always came across to me like he didn't actually play the games in question.

(And now we know why. :sweatdrop:)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

how much does he make?
I've heard he makes one million dollars

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

B33rChiller posted:

That's a long way short of Dan Olsen. Sad.

Lmao

Mr Interweb posted:

how much does he make?

It’s a thread injoke from someone getting incensed by his riches when patreon would localize the currency amounts but not the sign so SEK or something was represented as $

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

"Helloooo this is Chef JOHN from FOOOOOD Wishes dot Com wiiitthhhhh...James Somerton's pickled balls! That's right"
”And from there you take legal action. Or don’t. You’re the Cease & Desist of your plagiarist.”

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

how much does he make?
Eighty grand a month

Grassy Knowles posted:

Lmao

It’s a thread injoke from someone getting incensed by his riches when patreon would localize the currency amounts but not the sign so SEK or something was represented as $

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Sooo ah, sidebar irt gay youtubers: I haven't been in this thread for so long that I forgot to plug my latest Wonder Woman deep dive video here! Good thing there was internet drama to draw me back in.

This one covers the end of the wholesome 60s* and then the notorious Mod Era where she lost her powers and went around being kinda Asian. Is it cultural appropriation if an Asian character created by a white writer gives you permission? Check it out if you're interested :buddy:

*Cold Wars may apply

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
someone out there needs to make videos about all the handsome gay nazi's and hell somerton might be the man for the job

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

someone out there needs to make videos about all the handsome gay nazi's and hell somerton might be the man for the job

I thought the point was he already did

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

hbomb's comin'

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

Watch coffezilla dig into Telos' finances next

I saw Mutahar Annas be nice about the video, so there's a chance we might see that.

Chef John mentioned, so I gotta post this compilation of the "You are after all..." He does. That's 7 years old, there should be a new one!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if the guy actually watched anime he could have made a video about the gay nazi catboy in hellsing

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Arivia posted:

The guy playing Keegan in the intro to the hbomberguy video looks like Caddicarus but he's not credited (as in Caddicarus or anyone else being that little cutout), which is weird since there's such an emphasis on crediting people with the whole plagiarism thing. I don't think hbomberguy is up to anything, it's just got me feeling weird.

Isn't that Brian David Gilbert? I haven't watched the full video yet but I'll check the credits when I get there.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Endorph posted:

if the guy actually watched anime he could have made a video about the gay nazi catboy in hellsing

Hellsing was gayer than if Weiß Kreuz and Gundam Wing hosed.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This is the only bald Limey whose videos I care about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEe4LIq3ErE

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

macabresca posted:

Isn't that Brian David Gilbert? I haven't watched the full video yet but I'll check the credits when I get there.

Oh. Duh. I’m an idiot yes that’s likely BDG instead. Not in the credits though.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BrianWilly posted:

Though I will say! that I'm on the record, in this very thread, as having thought several of his opinions were in fact kinda sus. Not to be, like, "oh I always knew he was bad" -- 'cuz yeah, I obviously didn't always know he was bad -- but no matter how interesting his essays were, he still gave the impression of someone who really looked down on "mainstream" gays and mainstream gay content like Love Simon (and now we know why!). And his video on gay representation in video games always came across to me like he didn't actually play the games in question.

I only ever watched a couple of his vids before bouncing off entirely but the representation in video games was one of them and the primary catalyst for me bouncing off of his content. Like you said, the entire video read like he played none of these games and was only offering surface thoughts cribbed from forums/fandom wikis rather than anything he invested serious effort into. Knowing now how much he plagiarized - and that he content-mill'd so heavily that he obviously didn't have even a passing interest in half the subjects he opined on - makes my gut reaction make a lot of sense in hindsight. The more youtube content you watch, the more you can tell the difference between someone with serious interest in their chosen subject matter and someone churning content for cash, and he certainly falls pretty heavily into the latter.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Jenny getting some jabs in. I had no idea she had interacted with Somerton.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1731492236972699988

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I watched a couple of his Harry Potter videos because they seemed like the ones he was actually emotive during (did kind of get bored of a few others) so this was really funny and sad to discover:

https://twitter.com/transscribe/status/1731395381584400417

https://www.vox.com/identities/2019/12/19/21029874/jk-rowling-transgender-tweet-terf

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 4, 2023

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I have no idea how many Somerton videos I saw because my history has one I stopped watching halfway through, and for all I know he deleted the rest I had seen :v:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I'm honestly hopeful this whole event will start a movement of people fact-checking and looking for plagiarism. While the potential exists for it to become a witch hunt, the work required to do it credibly would hopefully prevent bad actors from derailing a movement.

Admittedly, I can't help but wonder if anyone I'm subscribed to is doing this. If nothing else I'm probably going to throw a line into google every now and again.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

As hbg said in his video, it’s most likely going to lead to more effort into plagiarism, most likely via AI.

I’m the sure AI will make the videos sound weird, but it’s also more work to check against. It’s not like YouTube isn’t full of bad writers (see: the small amount of Somerton’s original content :v:)

It does force another layer of work on top of it though, to the point where you have to edit the word salad of a bot trying to make your stolen script sound original and not suspiciously weird and alien. At that point actual research and original opinion would be easier.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Hbomberguy posted:

I can't believe Hbomberguy may control the fate of the middle east.

Points to the person here who predicted it would be Somerton months ago

By the way Hbomb, congrats on your quarian girlfriend. Doing the talimancers proud! :zpatriot:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The increasing shittiness of Google will also probably make fact-checking and source-checking worse

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

As hbg said in his video, it’s most likely going to lead to more effort into plagiarism, most likely via AI.

I’m the sure AI will make the videos sound weird, but it’s also more work to check against. It’s not like YouTube isn’t full of bad writers (see: the small amount of Somerton’s original content :v:)

It does force another layer of work on top of it though, to the point where you have to edit the word salad of a bot trying to make your stolen script sound original and not suspiciously weird and alien. At that point actual research and original opinion would be easier.

Yeah the second it becomes easier to just do your own writing the grifters will move on to stealing a living elsewhere.

I also feel like advances in AI/large language models will go both ways and help people find plagiarism more easily. And then we'll end up with an arms race.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Kim Justice posted:

Pants Donkey posted:

”And from there you take legal action. Or don’t. You’re the Cease & Desist of your plagiarist.”

:lmao:

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Pants Donkey posted:

I think making something entertaining that still avoids being easily detectable would be really hard. At best you’d get the revised version of Man in Cave.

Or the channels that do this will flood out so much it just creates infinite garbage and no one can find anything anymore is a fun potential outcome too.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Most people aren’t searching for discerning, high quality work. They want background noise while doing homework or something to kill time while commuting or taking a dump. That’s why these videos of Wiki summaries read by Microsoft Sam still get enough views to keep pumping them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Setting aside ChatGPT enhanced plagiarism (but I repeat myself) there's still a tremendous pre-chatGPT body of work out there to audit, at least in the more well known creators. There's value in setting the record straight for historical plagiarism. It is my hope that these kind of audits become more common.