Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
The only reason they sent us free tests after that is because it dawned on some think tank ghoul that free RATs would mean fewer reported positives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

lmfao just remembered Psaki trying to be a master tactician when a reporter asked about sending tests to people.

"so what are we supposed to do? send a test to everyone in the country? then what?"

lmfao

sneering neoliberal dismissiveness is such a fixture of modern american life isn't it

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
a week after recovering from COVID my wife threw up and has felt like poo poo for 48hrs, one of two kids feels like poo poo with a fever. COVID negative, all.

Totally normal I am sure. When you have kids, you and your kids just get sick most weeks for years, it's always been like this and my own childhood memories of only missing school a few times a year most of the time are clealy hallucinatory redactions of my pox-riddled childhood.

We've been taking it as easy as we can, I paid my cousin to refill our basement with firewood so that I wouldn't have to haul much for a couple weeks, but, maintaining a consistently low heart rate and having two small kids in the house during the first snows of the year isn't challenging, it's impossible.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Dren posted:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3015095/

I guess the misinfo was totally predictable.

:eyepop:

"AIDS denialism promotes the idea that HIV is harmless and cannot cause any disease, most certainly not AIDS. Some AIDS denialists claim that there is no proof that HIV exists at all. HIV antibody tests are said to be invalid because anyone can test HIV positive, people who do test positive do not develop AIDS, and there are people who develop AIDS who have never tested HIV positive. AIDS denialism rejects HIV treatments as toxic poisons that do more harm than good. The central tenant of AIDS denialism is that there is an ongoing debate among legitimate scientists regarding whether HIV even exists and if it does exist whether HIV causes AIDS. AIDS denialism intersects with AIDS conspiracy theories, and may impede HIV prevention and treatment.

The adverse effects of AIDS denialism have been most discussed in South Africa, where former President Thabo Mbeki gave equal credibility to AIDS Denialists and genuine AIDS scientists. As a result, the South African government delayed HIV testing and thwarted efforts to distribute antiretroviral medications. The result was devastating, with over 330,000 South Africans dying earlier than necessary from AIDS and over 35,000 babies needlessly HIV infected because medications that can prevent mother-to-child HIV transmission were not made available."

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

welp, my son tested positive, only two and a half months after the previous bout with COVID. love this stupid loving timeline :thumbsup:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

U-DO Burger posted:

welp, my son tested positive, only two and a half months after the previous bout with COVID. love this stupid loving timeline :thumbsup:

:sever:

Foobie
Dec 14, 2022
Does anyone know if paxlovid helps against long term Covid effects? Can anyone point me to a post saying what I need to do on the test2treat website to get free paxlovid? My partner got covid and while they’re very near the end of the 5 day period I didn’t know about it beforehand and would like to get them some to stop any kind of long Covid effects. I also probably have it since we live together but I haven’t tested positive on one of the at home tests since 2021 and this time was no different.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lol

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

U-DO Burger posted:

but my medical doctor assured me we had "pretty good protection for maybe 3 months"

Foobie posted:

Does anyone know if paxlovid helps against long term Covid effects?
I don't think anyone really knows, original studies were promising, I think there's a newer study that looks worse.

quote:

Can anyone point me to a post saying what I need to do on the test2treat website to get free paxlovid?

You just make an account, then report a positive test result, tell them your insurance status (CLICK NO I DO NOT HAVE IT), decline to upload photo of the result, in the text box write "I have tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 2 days", and that's about all there is to it. I have gotten two boxes this way; my wife was unable to use hers (breastfeeding) so we've got one stashed.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Foobie posted:

it definitely helps prevent some long-term covid effects, but not all, iirc. there's a bunch of different long covid symptom clusters, some of which are like "covid exploded so many lung cells that your lungs are useless now," and taking pax 100% for sure helps reduce risk of that greatly -- and the earlier & longer you can take it, the better. but some stuff seems more related to just "did you get covid at all" and not really protected against by paxlovid. the weird immune system consequences are more along these lines, i think

regardless: it's worth it for the symptom reduction and long-term protection that it does give, even if it's not 100%

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Gotta say, the two pages or so of the thread are making me really nervous, I don't recall ever seeing so many people coming in with the "Well I got got..." posts.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Don't worry, that's perfectly normal. Covid causes mild memory loss after all

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

wastewater 7d moving average slope over the past 3 - 4 weeks here is at like a 60 degree angle from the x-axis lol

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

we trashed all our toothbrushes post-COVID which is really a habit we picked up post strep and AFAIK it's more of a maybe-valid concern there, but, can't hurt.

Along those lines I have a Nasonex bottle I used maybe 6 out of 60 doses of, during and after the heavy congestion period. Is it reasonable to try to sanitize the nasal dispenser or do I just accept the mild monetary and environmental hit of throwing away a useful unexpired drug?

Toothbrushes are consumables anyway and there's rarely a "too soon" for a new one, IMO.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Soap Scum posted:

wastewater 7d moving average slope over the past 3 - 4 weeks here is at like a 60 degree angle from the x-axis lol

A lot of the north east ones are very number up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Insanite posted:

i'm looking forward to someone on chemo legally challenging our future national mask bans and then losing handily

They’ll say “you should just stay home if sunlight is a danger to you”.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

SardonicTyrant posted:

Do I have to do anything special if my paxlovid arrives at CVS? Because it's not on my profile and the pharmacist over the phone said they don't see it, but I just got a call half an hour ago that it arrived at the store.

this happened to me once and it turned out to have been them calling about a different drug of mine coincidentally right when i was on the paxlovid site. fooled me good

Cabbages and Kings posted:

we trashed all our toothbrushes post-COVID

this didn't even occur to me for some reason. my electric brush's heads haven't seemingly worn down at all for years so i just kept using it. luckily i started spraying the brush with HOCl after every use because who wants to stick old spit back in their mouth. other than that my post-COVID house sanitation just consisted of doing laundry/sheets and spraying some alcohol in the freezer.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Foobie posted:

(..)

Research is ambiguous, some sasy yes, some says no or not really. In all likelihood this comes down to methodological differences, as to what constitutes long COVID, PASC or PCC. So instead of pointing to an article, I will just say that because some of the longer term symptoms experiences are from the acute illness (like the ground glass lungs), whether those are defined as long COVID or not, Paxlovid will reduce stuff like that.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

maxwellhill posted:

(..)
my electric brush's heads haven't seemingly worn down at all for years so i just kept using it.
(..)

Sure the heads are pretty sturdy, but 9 out of 10 dentists recommend you replace them once the bristles are gone.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

A lot of the north east ones are very number up.

:drat:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

maxwellhill posted:

this didn't even occur to me for some reason. my electric brush's heads haven't seemingly worn down at all for years so i just kept using it.

:stare:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Starting to think my 2 day visit with my parents, just before Xmas, them mask-less, me possibly being as well (for the first time, in front of anyone, since Mar 2020), might be ill-timed. They are 100% "back to normal". I asked them to isolate for 2 days before we arrive, or at least wear a *GOOD mask if the MUST go out. It's a bit more complicated than just the above, but this could be the last time I ever see them in person, and my last Xmas in my home country, so that weighs heavily on the decision. Not sure I can ask them to test when we arrive, so that's a bad start.

*this probably means expensive to them, so not sure even clarifying to them what it means will help

If I go mask-less, I'll be using my air purifiers in the common rooms, and our bed room at night. Also Iota Carrageenan nasal spray (who know if it works, but worth a try), frozen beet chunks, vit D, and maybe mouthwash. The last one will be new for me, but not an issue - I assume I just gargle with it? And need to make sure it contains CPC?

Anyway, the above is absolutely red-card violating the "Only Trust Your Respirator" code, so I know the end result odds. I have the latest Pf vax, but I'm in Canada, so no Pax for me. No kids, just wife, and a dog, which is also a new hole in my plan apparently...

If I decide to post through it, it might be this years sister in law saga :smith:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

lmfao just remembered Psaki trying to be a master tactician when a reporter asked about sending tests to people.

"so what are we supposed to do? send a test to everyone in the country? then what?"

lmfao

was it about tests or was it about masks

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

was it about tests or was it about masks

it was tests

https://twitter.com/mkarolian/status/1467959999645298697?t=xXyxgBmo0CTXuKs341aHrg&s=19

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
anyone got that cdc chart that has Covid RSV flu and mycoplasma infection rates on the same graph

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

NeonPunk posted:

Today I know personally 3 of my coworkers calling out sick today and I've never seen that many bus still parked at the yard this morning.

It's definitely here and hitting hard. Mask up and stay safe y'all

i got to live a thread classic anecdote yesterday where someone saw me in a mask, asked if i wasn't feeling well, i responded with something to the effect of no just trying to avoid that, they say "that's smart, definitely something going around right now"

i'll leave you with the incredibly suspenseful cliffhanger of whether they were wearing/put on a mask or not

also pay no mind to the several unmasked people around who are constantly coughing

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Steve Yun posted:

anyone got that cdc chart that has Covid RSV flu and mycoplasma infection rates on the same graph

This is the closest I recall seeing to what you are requesting (no mycoplasma):
https://www.cdc.gov/respiratory-viruses/data-research/dashboard/activity-levels.html

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Parity warning posted:

(..)
people around who are constantly coughing

If only we had followed The Science harder, we wouldn't have all this lockdown induced coughing.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

this video is perfect

everything wrong with the last four years

"maybe ... just give people the thing they need?"

'HOW MUCH WILL THAT COST'

e: not even what they need, just.. a little help

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The coughing is people trying to be indirect to indicate that you forgot to take off your mask when covid was totally defeated in early 2021.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just heard a knock at the door and when I looked out the window it was a courier with a parcel. I told him he could just leave it on the porch and he insisted that wasn't possible without me signing for it so I went "Okay sure" and started pulling on a mask, and he immediately went "Actually it's fine, I'll just leave it here for you"
lol

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Every single time I've had a package delivered signature required in the last four years, I just put up a little sign saying it's OK to leave but if they need me to sign, it'll take me a minute to put on a mask and stuff.

They always just leave it. They don't have time for that poo poo.

This includes when it's like 'ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE AN ADULT SIGN IN PERSON, NO RELEASE ALLOWED.' They don't even slow down long enough to read my note just drop kick that poo poo onto the front steps. This would probably be annoying if we ever had any package thieves around here, but thankfully we don't.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Wastewater showing increases everywhere?

Baddog
May 12, 2001
The new government test kits are the intelliswab "gentle shallow" ones, lol.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/inquirerdotnet/status/1731708969729831310?t=D66MWd4WPzptfFp1ZIDTuQ&s=19

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Baddog posted:

so much materials and process to guarantee a negative lol

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Baddog posted:

I got "CareStart" ones

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

shazbot posted:

stay positive

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fosborb posted:

so much materials and process to guarantee a negative lol

😡

Even the mods are denigrating our rooms full of PhDs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol I was on the kaiser site to schedule a phone chat with my doc about my neverending loving allergies and noticed this little change to the UI recently

Previously there wasnt a whole separate respiratory illness thing under "get care" and it certainly wasnt at the loving top.