Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot
Okay thanks for the answers lads, not your fault of course but that’s waaaaaank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

FiftyFour posted:

This might be a really stupid question but can I download purchased films to ATV4K?
I’m thinking about upgrading from ATVHD now I’ve got a 4K TV at long last
Internet speed here isn’t always superb so if I can keep some high quality downloads on the box for perfect playback that’d be ideal
Get a NAS and the Infuse app

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can second that the Infuse app is amazing for NAS. It's easy to use and everything.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I believe you could do Home Sharing from a Mac or PC if you want to watch the downloaded version of an iTunes purchase instead of streaming but I don't think I've done that in literally over a decade.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I can barely remember but I think the OG AppleTV used to load movies to an internal drive right? But that was ages ago and now that internet speeds are faster it’s gone all streaming.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

jackhunter64 posted:

I believe you could do Home Sharing from a Mac or PC if you want to watch the downloaded version of an iTunes purchase instead of streaming but I don't think I've done that in literally over a decade.
Doesn’t have to be an iTunes purchase, it just has to be in your iTunes library. I have no idea how you add something these days, though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

priznat posted:

I can barely remember but I think the OG AppleTV used to load movies to an internal drive right? But that was ages ago and now that internet speeds are faster it’s gone all streaming.

Yes. The original original ATV was literally an Intel Mac with a customized MacOS.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Doesn’t have to be an iTunes purchase, it just has to be in your iTunes library. I have no idea how you add something these days, though.

I'm a weirdo who uses iTunes library for sharing movies/tv on my home network. The file has to be in the right format. You just drag/drop into the library on the TV app.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 14, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yes. The original original ATV was literally an Intel Mac with a customized MacOS.

You can even install regular rear end OSX on it, so some people just used them like a Mac Mini.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I've disabled the touch pad behavior on my Apple TV remote and it's generally been a lot better received by the wife and kiddos. The only frustrating thing is that it seems like the "force quit" process seems to require that you swipe apps up on the touchpad to quit them.

Is there really not a way to kill apps without having the touchpad enabled?

The Drifter
Apr 21, 2006
I think you can double tap the center button to get a list of running apps that you can then press up on to close.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

The Drifter posted:

I think you can double tap the center button to get a list of running apps that you can then press up on to close.

Correct!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

The Drifter posted:

Double tapping the tv button does bring up the list of running apps but pressing up does not do anything. If I turn the clickpad back to “click and touch” swiping up does kill the app.

Edit: weirdly after toggling the clickpad behavior back double tapping on up started working to close apps after bringing up the running apps list by double tapping tv. :iiam:

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 27, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Maneki Neko posted:

Double tapping the tv button does bring up the list of running apps but pressing up does not do anything. If I turn the clickpad back to “click and touch” swiping up does kill the app.

Edit: weirdly after toggling the clickpad behavior back double tapping on up started working to close apps after bringing up the running apps list by double tapping tv. :iiam:

When you access the multitasking screen, give the animation a second to finish before pressing up twice.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I have an LG TV, an Onkyo receiver, and the 1st gen 4K Apple TV. The TV and receiver are also 4K FWIW. I have the Apple TV plugged into the receiver, and the receiver into the HDMI ARC port on the TV. For the last 6 years, when my Apple TV went to sleep, the TV and receiver turned off. When I pressed the home button to wake the Apple TV, the TV and receiver turned on. Great!

However, my Apple TV update itself two months ago, and now that doesn't work. When I I turn off the Apple TV via the Settings menu, the TV appears to turn off (or in fact does), but then cames back online with no signal. The volume button on my Siri remote sometimes works, but most often now does not. In the past, it worked fine, and the receiver on-screen display would show the volume level. Now, when it does work, both the receive and TV volumes OSDs show up :confused:

I turned off and on the CEC on my receiver, TV, and Apple TV, and it makes no difference (I just did each individually, didn't do all 8 permutations). I updated the software/firmware on the TV and receiver, but it didn't fix it either. The only other thing I can think is factory reset all 3, but I'd rather not. Any other ideas? I will not debase myself using two remotes to watch TV :colbert:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Did you try resetting the remote? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213437

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh poo poo drat! I had no idea that was a thing. That exact thing has been happening to me with my Yamaha receiver since the last ATV update (volume keeps randomly stopping working, and the only thing that gets it going again is to go into the receiver on-screen controls and turn HDMI control off/on). I'll try that. Thanks!

e: VV Yeah it didn't work for me either. :(

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 5, 2023

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Inept posted:

Did you try resetting the remote? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213437

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it did nothing! While messing around with the settings on the Apple TV, I have managed to get the (non functioning) volume on-screen display stuck on so now I'll have to do a reset. :negative: (I rebooted, but it's still there)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Toe Rag posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it did nothing! While messing around with the settings on the Apple TV, I have managed to get the (non functioning) volume on-screen display stuck on so now I'll have to do a reset. :negative: (I rebooted, but it's still there)

This may sound ridiculous and is definitely a long shot, but I had this issue once and it turned out my TV's actual remote was stuck on. I actually thought my AppleTV or the tv itself were broken because I noticed the issue went away when I covered the IR receiver on the TV... but then I tried pulling the battery out of my TV remote and the issue went away.

Though looks like in your case the Apple volume is going down so maybe your Apple TV remote is wonky.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I have a Pioneer VSX-524 and my Apple TV 4K Remote can only change the volume once every couple dozen clicks or so via IR.

Am I missing something? It’s not reliable at all. I’ve trained my regular remote, but I really like the ATV 4K remote.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My receiver oddity is if I click the vol up too many times on the Apple TV remote, it turns the radio on.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

I have a Pioneer VSX-524 and my Apple TV 4K Remote can only change the volume once every couple dozen clicks or so via IR.

Am I missing something? It’s not reliable at all. I’ve trained my regular remote, but I really like the ATV 4K remote.

What kind of TV? Sounds like your CEC is going fucky. I recently experienced the same when I bought a Sonos Arc for Atmos, but only had an ARC port on my TV. Everything was working great until I bought an HD Fury Arcana box to get me Atmos via eARC and my CEC went to poo poo for my Sony X900F. Couldn’t change the volume of the Arc or turn my TV on/off with the ATV remote.

I’ve been loving with it for a week until I disconnected all my HDMIs, unplugged all my sources, unplugged my TV and let it sit for 3-4 minutes. I plugged my TV back in, disabled Bravia Sync (Sony’s CEC), re-enabled it, then plugged my poo poo back in one at a time and it finally worked.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The problem I’ve been having lately, maybe the past 6 months or so, is that suddenly the volume on my sound bar will stop working with the AppleTV remote. The remote still works for the AppleTV itself, but no longer changes the volume. I tried resetting the sound bar and the AppleTV a few times, even tried re-syncing the IR back to the sound bar, to no avail.

What I finally figured out is it’s the remote. The IR must just stop functioning randomly in the remote, and it takes resetting the remote for it to start working again. It’s a pain in the rear end as now it’s happening like every other week or so, but at least it’s an easy fix that takes like 1 minute.

So yeah, if anyone else experiences that problem, make sure you try that as a fix. On the newer silver remotes you hold down the TV and the volume down button on the remote until the light on the front of the Appletv turns back on. After a few seconds just press any button on the remote and it’ll reconnect and start working again.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What kind of TV? Sounds like your CEC is going fucky. I recently experienced the same when I bought a Sonos Arc for Atmos, but only had an ARC port on my TV. Everything was working great until I bought an HD Fury Arcana box to get me Atmos via eARC and my CEC went to poo poo for my Sony X900F. Couldn’t change the volume of the Arc or turn my TV on/off with the ATV remote.

I’ve been loving with it for a week until I disconnected all my HDMIs, unplugged all my sources, unplugged my TV and let it sit for 3-4 minutes. I plugged my TV back in, disabled Bravia Sync (Sony’s CEC), re-enabled it, then plugged my poo poo back in one at a time and it finally worked.

I don’t believe I have a CEC compatible television, it’s some off brand oversized Korean monitor, hence using IR instead.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Is there such a thing as a TV that doesn’t have CEC?

I thought that ended 15 years ago.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Here is a fun thing I learned: there is no way to unpair the current remotes from an Apple TV other than to get a new one and pair that which will supposedly override it. This is relevant because mine got wet or something and started sending constant phantom presses which makes doing anything at all on the TV frustrating because I was constantly fighting with it. So it is currently wrapped in foil until I can get a new one or the battery dies

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Why not just remove the remote? As in, put it on the other side of the house, or in the garage, or in your car, or in the garbage/recycling?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lmao

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Or just take the batteries out?
What are we even talking about here? :stare:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

eightysixed posted:

Or just take the batteries out?
What are we even talking about here? :stare:

You can’t take the batteries out

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

You can’t take the batteries out

My drill says otherwise, but YMMV.

Or buy a microwave, I guess, or a magnet, or go donate it to GoodWill.
Like, this is the dumbest problem to have.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 10, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Why don’t you just wrap it in foil?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

So it is currently wrapped in foil until I can get a new one or the battery dies

He already did that, bruv. Try to keep up :eng101:

edit: Look, the remote requires 1.21 jiggowatts to work as needed or get it to 88mph in a car and give us a trip report.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 10, 2023

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

eightysixed posted:

Is there such a thing as a TV that doesn’t have CEC?

I thought that ended 15 years ago.

OKAY I finally figured it out.

Turns out my receiver and TV are old enough that the manuals referred to CEC as the full name (Consumer Electronic Control) being controlled by Audio Relay Control (ARC).

I couldn’t figure out if it was a TV problem, Apple TV problem, or receiver problem. I couldn’t find any manuals for my TV because it’s a weird oversized off brand Korean monitor I bought years ago.

Some kind person on AVS Forum put up a link to the full receiver manual and clear instructions, so now my Siri Remote works great!

Now to figure out if I can equalize volume across the apps…

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Apple TV is probably the best behaved CEC device I’ve ever come across so it’s usually something else.

NewFatMike posted:

Now to figure out if I can equalize volume across the apps…
Absolutely not possible as far as I know, at least not on the Apple TV itself. Apples dynamic compression is decent but if you have a good sound system you can tell when it’s on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Receivers often let you adjust the db of an input if it’s hotter than other ones.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

qirex posted:

Absolutely not possible as far as I know, at least not on the Apple TV itself. Apples dynamic compression is decent but if you have a good sound system you can tell when it’s on.

:negative:

My gains of having a single remote control everything and forcing surround sound will simply have to be good enough.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like I’m either being dumb or the internet is lying to me.

I have an MHY93LL/A which is a 32gb Apple TV HD (2021).

It currently has TVOS 15.6 but everything I’m reading says it should go up to the latest version but doing a software update says it’s on the latest version.

I’m using it at work so it’s not a huge deal it just seems weird it won’t update.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I feel like I’m either being dumb or the internet is lying to me.

I have an MHY93LL/A which is a 32gb Apple TV HD (2021).

It currently has TVOS 15.6 but everything I’m reading says it should go up to the latest version but doing a software update says it’s on the latest version.

I’m using it at work so it’s not a huge deal it just seems weird it won’t update.

Is it possible it's being managed? With MDM you can defer updates up to 90 days. tvOS 17 is still within that 90 day window.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is it possible it's being managed? With MDM you can defer updates up to 90 days. tvOS 17 is still within that 90 day window.

I don’t think so? It’s my device I bought last year and just got around to setting up.

The only reason I bought it was because it was $60 and it came with the new remote which I’m using on my other ATV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I don’t think so? It’s my device I bought last year and just got around to setting up.

The only reason I bought it was because it was $60 and it came with the new remote which I’m using on my other ATV.

You mentioned work, so I thought it was a possibility. I haven't done this in a long time but if you have a Mac you may be able to connect to the computer and use Apple Configurator to manually install the latest tvOS. do so at your own peril of course.