Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Tractor supply usually has a decent bolt bin and ace as mentioned already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Guyver posted:

Tractor supply usually has a decent bolt bin and ace as mentioned already.

Tractor Supply is great for stocking up on bolts, especially small ones because they price their bulk bolt bin hardware by the pound.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Its not quite the same, but my company has accounts with Fastenal and Brafasco (Canadian chain). They usually have minimums, so whenever I need something I'll just be like "gently caress it, give me a whole bag" which size dependent can be as few as 10 (big nuts and bolts) or 50-100 (washers etc..) So its nice having a drawer full of poo poo that I need.

In other news, turns out Canadian tire DID have what I needed. I just had to go to the Automotive section, rather than the hardware aisle at the back where they have the drawers of stuff. Actually my local CT didn't even have the drawers of nuts and bolts in the hardware section. They must have gotten rid of them in the last few months. M10 1.5 x 30mm Grade 10.9 gently caress yeah,

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

There is a local fastener supplier that's awesome. They'll sell you a million rivets or 1 washer, and they have a fuckton of old stock from being around for 100 years that they don't know what to do with. I needed a box of weird old brass screws and they were like 'uhhhh it says our cost on this was $.10 in 1971 so.....how about a dollar?'

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Places like that are great.
My dad had a Coleman lantern from............. many decades ago. Belonged to my grandfather. It needed apart that was NLA from Coleman, went to tons of places looking and then the hardware store owned by "that old guy who was like 100 years old" that was within walking distance of our house had 3 in stock from however many years ago it was that he originally got them. Cost my dad about 3 bucks for all of them and now grandad's lantern is good for another century or whatever.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, they are. We just lost ours or at least it's in the process of shutting down.

It took new hires over 6 months just to get close to knowing where things were spread out over their 4+ buildings. I was always very proud to be able to find something plumbing or electrical all by myself. Electrical was particular fun because it was in an old theater building across the stree that they just unlocked the doors to during business hours. There wasn't necessarily anyone in there most of the time and you just grabbed what you needed and brought it across the street to the main building with the registers.

This is of course the place that has all of the weird poo poo for the houses around here. Pieces parts for heating systems/radiator sections, they have a lot of the stamped tin ceiling panels that are common (probably because they're the one who sold them to begin with). It's truly a loss.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BeAuMaN posted:

Other stuff from the DTO sale:
The EZClean power-washer thing; this is the 600 psi model, and it's the lowest historical price according to darn.tools at $75 (includes 4AH battery):
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/RY121852KVNM
There's a bunch of accessories to be had if you search "ezclean"

How do folks like this one? Considering it.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

That Works posted:

How do folks like this one? Considering it.
I wish I could tell you more; I've been eyeballing it for a while. I ended up purchasing it this round, given $75 w/ 4Ah Battery is cheap imo, and I ordered some other things to justify shipping. Things I do know:
1.) There's... about two previous generations of this tool, and this third generation is the higher powered one with the brushless at 600 psi.
2.) Don't expect pressure washer power out of this. It's allegedly good for cleaning the car, and also cleaning stuff outside that either the job is small and they don't want to bother pulling out the pressure washer, or it's in a pain in the rear end place to reach.
3.) Attachments I've heard mixed reviews about. Uses a proprietary connector, however various users have made conversions to accept standard attachments. Foam blaster made by ryobi isn't that great allegedly.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

Having a couple of 80' 10/2 cords left over from my construction days, this is my preferred method.👍
Pigtail to Fridge, lights, Internet- goonspeed!

I've gotten a couple of these and they've been fantastic https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BDNP2D5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I hook them up to a Honda inverter generator. Very little in my house needs that much power, so during outages it's the fridge and some lights/electronics for entertainment.

eta: I also use them to power flood lights on an outdoor skating rink, and they do stand up to being outdoors in extreme weather as well as advertised.

2nd eta: They also appear to be on sale right now, 30% off. I paid $100 and was happy to pay that a 2nd time.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

In other news, turns out Canadian tire DID have what I needed. I just had to go to the Automotive section, rather than the hardware aisle at the back where they have the drawers of stuff. Actually my local CT didn't even have the drawers of nuts and bolts in the hardware section. They must have gotten rid of them in the last few months. M10 1.5 x 30mm Grade 10.9 gently caress yeah,

Not sure where you are in Canada, but I found BC Fasteners to have good selection and cheap/fast shipping, with no minimums.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

MrAmazing posted:

Not sure where you are in Canada, but I found BC Fasteners to have good selection and cheap/fast shipping, with no minimums.

A few provinces east of there, but thanks:)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
A local ace (Hillman, South of Seattle) hardware is going out of business and selling their hardware and fasteners by the cabinet. $50 and you get the cabinet plus all the product inside.

Do I really need drawers of fasteners? No, but it's tempting.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Verman posted:

A local ace (Hillman, South of Seattle) hardware is going out of business and selling their hardware and fasteners by the cabinet. $50 and you get the cabinet plus all the product inside.

Do I really need drawers of fasteners? No, but it's tempting.

Probably worth it for the cabinet and drawers, honestly.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hell yeah I'd buy one or 2 for 50 each.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’d buy three, plan to Really Get Organized This Time, stick them in the corner of my shop, never empty them out, and be reminded of my shame every time I saw them glaring at me.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’d buy three, plan to Really Get Organized This Time, stick them in the corner of my shop, never empty them out, and be reminded of my shame every time I saw them glaring at me.

This is the actual woodworker's Way

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I got four of these snazzy card catalog drawers. I got the little cups that fit juuusssst right into them. I got the little separators for the cups. three fifths of the cups remain unused and the remainder are filled with a mélange of drywall screws, big flathead screws of dubious usefulness, kreg poo poo, and seriously a billion salvaged machine screws that somehow follow me like a wraith laughing at me for not having the willpower to throw them away.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
"Hey, what can my family get you for christmas?"

Guys, it's time for free stocking stuffers:

What can I milk from my wife's family?

Rules:
- Must be bitchin'
- Must not be expensive ($45-50 limit)
- Must be for external use only

Off the bat, I'm thinking some Knipex pliers or a dust collection-style paired switch (plug in saw + vacuum and it turns vacuum on when saw turns on).

What are decent (or surprisingly useful) gifts you've received?

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Rules:
- Must be bitchin'

Off the bat, I'm thinking some Knipex pliers or a dust collection-style paired switch (plug in saw + vacuum and it turns vacuum on when saw turns on).

I'm a fan of the Pinecil if you need to do soldering, though you will need to bring your own power supply (which can be a battery clipped to your belt!)

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Should I return what I bought? It's still unopened.

On Black Friday I picked up this benchtop jointer for $340 CAD (brand: King Industrial)
https://www.kmstools.com/king-industrial-6-quot-helical-head-benchtop-jointer.html

and this thickness planer for $610 CAD (brand: Magnum Industrial)
https://www.kmstools.com/magnum-industrial-13-quot-helical-head-planer.html

I know a benchtop jointer has significant limits, but I'm ok with those. I'm not sure about the brand and tool quality though... As for the planer, I went with this over the DW735 because it was $150 less when you account for infeed tables and it has a "helical" cutter. I've since learned that it's only technically a helical cutter and not really comparable to the good ones. I can't find many reviews of this one, but have also learned it looks identical to so many Chinese planers and used to be sold under the "General International" brand or something like that.

I'm just a hobbyist weekend woodworker, but still want to make nice things. Do you think these are going to be fine for 10+ years or if it's worth returning them and spending a little more? Thanks.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Airconswitch posted:

I'm a fan of the Pinecil if you need to do soldering, though you will need to bring your own power supply (which can be a battery clipped to your belt!)

This is sick! Good find.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I don't feel like that's really much of a deal for that style planer and without any good reviews I'd be weary of it if you don't think you can return it after trying it out to make sure it doesn't have excessive snipe or inadequate chip handling or other cut quality issues.

Did you get that benchtop jointer because its cheap or because you don't have room for a proper one? I have a benchtop jointer, solely because of space constraints and... eh, it's not totally useless but for all but the smallest cuts of wood I find that some hand planing is still needed anyways and usually end up feeling like I've wasted more material than I would've just doing it all by hand. If you have the space I'd suggest saving up with the hopes of getting a proper jointer, used or otherwise.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Tenacious J posted:

On Black Friday I picked up this benchtop jointer for $340 CAD (brand: King Industrial)
https://www.kmstools.com/king-industrial-6-quot-helical-head-benchtop-jointer.html

I know a benchtop jointer has significant limits, but I'm ok with those. I'm not sure about the brand and tool quality though... As for the planer, I went with this over the DW735 because it was $150 less when you account for infeed tables and it has a "helical" cutter. I've since learned that it's only technically a helical cutter and not really comparable to the good ones. I can't find many reviews of this one, but have also learned it looks identical to so many Chinese planers and used to be sold under the "General International" brand or something like that.

I'm just a hobbyist weekend woodworker, but still want to make nice things. Do you think these are going to be fine for 10+ years or if it's worth returning them and spending a little more? Thanks.

That Magnum brand is, I think, KMS's house brand or at least that's where I see Magnum branded stuff mostly. I had that planer before I moved and it seemed fine. Much better than my old Dewalt DW734 which I bought used that had trash rollers that slipped constantly.

It has Spiral rather than Helical cutters so it still uses inserts but they are still square to the work piece rather than slightly angled. I think they still reduce load/noise a bit just not as much as helical ones do? It still has the advantage that you can rotate the cutters if they get nicked and it seemed to cut nicely. Too bad it was too heavy to ship across the country when we moved.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I feel that you could probably find those second hand. I passed on a free jointer just like that on the side of the road, no idea what it would have taken to make it good.
I have a ridgid jointer i bought for $100 used, and it came with a homemade cart probably worth just the $100 in castors the old guy put on.

The key here is the one with the most tools when you die, is still dead, and your kids just want to unload it all so they can carry on with their lives.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Rules:
- Must be bitchin'

Thermometers from thermoworks, streamlight headlamp and or flashlights, bags of small clamps/chip clips, power banks. Those are what I usually stuff stockings with if I don't have better ideas.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Rules:
- Must be bitchin'

This little number is pretty boss:
https://www.harborfreight.com/locking-flex-head-ratchet-and-bit-set-35-piece-58074.html

$40 which is almost worth it for the locking flex head ratchet alone

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Tenacious J posted:

I've been eyeing the DeWalt 735 and it's on sale for like $250 cheaper than usual on Amazon/HD/Canadian Tire at $650CAD for the base model (more with the tables). CT says the sale ends Dec 7, the other two don't mention anything (edit Rona and Lowes say til the end of January). I might just bite the bullet and order it tomorrow, seems like a good deal.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you're going to get the 735 I don't know how long that price is going to last.

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 5, 2023

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

The Top G posted:

This little number is pretty boss:
https://www.harborfreight.com/locking-flex-head-ratchet-and-bit-set-35-piece-58074.html

$40 which is almost worth it for the locking flex head ratchet alone

Twice the price but I was eye balling this. It looks similar but is it worth 2x?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I8MYMT2?tag=ei-wish-other-20

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I haven’t tried the Wera ratchet but it’s not locking flexhead which is a downside to me. It has sockets which is real nice but the open case seems like stuff would get lost. Bit driver is real clutch though I have to say.

Seems like more of a general purpose workbench ratchet/driver set type thing than the HF ratchet which is a bit more geared towards automotive stuff, with the flex head ratchet, security Torx and all that. Worth $75? I don’t think so but YMMV

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

ThirstyBuck posted:

Twice the price but I was eye balling this. It looks similar but is it worth 2x?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I8MYMT2?tag=ei-wish-other-20

I recently got this from Wera. I think their stuff is worth the price, but I'm considering from a professional pov. For home use it's too much, imo.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
$113 for ratcheting screwdriver? You could have gotten SnapOn for that money and had money left over for bits too.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

The Top G posted:

$113 for ratcheting screwdriver? You could have gotten SnapOn for that money and had money left over for bits too.

I didn't pay that price, thankfully.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Yeah, you're an idiot of you pay wera prices.

5x the cost just to hate every second of your life that you have to use anything else.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

I was looking at these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0876K6JQX?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

But then I was basically gifted the Wera set so I never ended up getting the Vessel. And I didn't realize I linked the set, I was looking at the single ratcheting driver and then buying bits to go in it.

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 6, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

wesleywillis posted:

After 10 years of abuse my 1/4 drive Milwaukee impact driver finally turned in to a drill (it'll spin...... sometimes) and I had to go out and buy a new one today.

Picked up a new 1/4 drive m18 fuel driver:
https://www.milwaukeetool.ca/Products/2953-20

I look forward to the next 10 or more years of beating the hell out of it.

I have a feeling that the old one was on its way out for a while as the last bunch of times I abused the poo poo out of it used it, the smell coming out of it was that of electric death. You probably know the smell. Well last night I was changing out the summer/winter tires on my truck and wanted to pop the rear drums off to make sure everything was good. I got couple bolts, threaded them in to the holes and started cranking. It managed to get both drums off, but after a valiant battle with the second one, it finally croaked. I'm going to take it apart and see what is actually broken, and maybe I'll try to fix it and use it for a spare.

Things it did battle with:
Hundreds, or maybe thousands of wood screws from 1-6 inches in length.
Stuck bolts of all sizes
Wire brushes cleaning threads
3+ inch hole saws
Countless self tapping/drilling screws
A shitload of lag bolts, "Oops! Forgot to do a pilot hole in this wet wood"
Chasing rusty 7/8" 14 threads with a tap welded to a socket.
Various brake parts and some suspension pieces of varying rustiness.
Lug nuts
Countless random nuts and bolts loosened and tightened
Drilling through steel, wood aluminum
The ground when I dropped it
A bunch of other poo poo I probably don't remember

Time to pour out a 40 pack of deck screws for the fallen.

Well a few weeks ago my impact died and just today I was out at a store and saw some new Milwaukee drills for sale for cheap and I thought to myself "I wonder how much longer my drill will last me"?

It came as a set with the aforementioned impact and a few hours after I asked myself that question, I got my answer.

https://imgur.com/XzeHKfr

Well it did battle with a similar number of things as listed above and served me well.

Time to pour out another 40 pack of deck screws.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 8, 2023

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Does anyone have experience with small electric chainsaws?

My mom is big into gardening but is not big or strong. In any case its just tough pruning she wants the saw for, not felling trees. She saw some in-store and loves the idea of being able to use a chainsaw one-handed (which to me seems optimistic and/or dangerous). In any case, its the tiny ones she wants.

This Milkwake one looks like its exactly what she wants but is pricey
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mi...tery/1001560523

Amazon features a zillion mini chainsaws of a different design. Cheap, I imagine the quality is all over the place
https://www.amazon.ca/Chainsaw-Cord...1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Any suggestions?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Count Roland posted:

being able to use a chainsaw one-handed (which to me seems optimistic and/or dangerous).

It seems neither to me. These aren't really "chainsaws" per se. They are too small and slow to have anything resembling kickback. They are tiny battery operated saws that happen to have a chain style blade.

That one will be fine. So will the 8" Ryobi or any other one. They're super handy tools to have and probaby a lot safer to use for pruning/cutting up brush than a sawzall/hackzall.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I'd get the Ryobi simply because it's oilless.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wallaka posted:

I'd get the Ryobi simply because it's oilless.

I think some of the others are too based on the last time this came up in the thread. But agreed - I got the 8" ryobi in a package deal with the pole saw. It's so nice to be able to keep them somewhere and not worry about them constantly leaking oil like my gas saws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Count Roland posted:

Does anyone have experience with small electric chainsaws?

My mom is big into gardening but is not big or strong. In any case its just tough pruning she wants the saw for, not felling trees. She saw some in-store and loves the idea of being able to use a chainsaw one-handed (which to me seems optimistic and/or dangerous). In any case, its the tiny ones she wants.

This Milkwake one looks like its exactly what she wants but is pricey
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mi...tery/1001560523

Amazon features a zillion mini chainsaws of a different design. Cheap, I imagine the quality is all over the place
https://www.amazon.ca/Chainsaw-Cord...1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Any suggestions?

Try a reciprocating saw with a long wood bit. They're much safer to use one handed. Plus they come cordless.