Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

KomradeX posted:

These guys look like they loving suck

"look like" lmao

quote:

"We forge tools on Israeli battlefields that give you an edge defending your country, your community & your home."

Agilite is a premium Israeli manufacturer of battle-proven tactical gear that was born from the need to defend our country.

"As Israelis, we've always had to innovate to survive in order to protect our families and our homeland. Our gear has always had to stay one step ahead of our enemies."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

this is why you should get your mre reviews from Steve.

if he has any odious views we'll never know what they are because he's not shilling drop shipped plate carriers he just talks about how the pouched food tastes

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

It's a way of coping with trauma after a sudden shock. This also happened in Ukraine with people making Molotov cocktails even though those wouldn't have had much use against Russian tanks and APCs. Also Americans giving blood after 9/11 which wasn't needed because people got pancaked in the WTC but it was a way for people to feel like they were "doing something" which is a form of processing.

+1

Helping your fellow man is baked into our DNA. Even when hypermilitarized and brainwashed, that empathy comes out in support of that militarization. People want to help, and they want to feel like the help they are providing is important.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Centuries of bringing each other casseroles after people die is now a part of our genetic imprint.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

yet another bit of propoganda from russia-ukraine (nafo types on that haha washing machine) that they are leaning into the pre-made bad guy niche on

The IDF soldiers are simply overwhelmed at seeing that Gazans possess things they could never dream of, like toilets

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

joepinetree posted:

From the point of view of political, cultural and economic elites, Israel is "us" in a way that South African elites never where. And on the reverse side, there was enough of a history of civil rights for racial minorities in the US that doesn't exist in regards to Islamophobia and anti-Arab sentiment.

Israeli elites were educated in the US or by Israeli professors educated in the US to an extent that was never true in South Africa. There are as many Israeli universities approved for title iv funding as there are Mexican ones (i.e., places where you can use your federal financial aid on) Israeli military is integrated into the American military industrial complex in a way that South Africa never was. F-16 is the most common jet fighter in the world and about 10% of all units are in the Israeli airforce. Israeli economy is integrated in a way that South African economy never was: every major tech giant has some investment in an Israeli start up. Odds are your major corporation has been using Israeli companies for security,etc.

It's why I think the "oh, its AIPAC" explanations a bit simplistic. Yes, of course money in politics plays a big role. But for the vast majority of educational, economic and cultural elites, they've seen Israel as "us" in a way that they never saw even literal parts of the US like Puerto Rico or Guam.

And then there is the other side. Civil rights leaders in the US like Jesse Jackson could portray Mandela as one of their own, and the struggle against apartheid as common as civil rights in the US. But 70 years of Islamophobia in the US means that no one is willing to take that step. There will be no organization in the US willing to take a chance and bring some PLO leader to speak, much less Hamas.

I suppose it makes sense that Israel is more deeply integrated with the general West like the last hurrah/last bastion of colonialism, more recently formed and far more tied into the mythology of the righteousness of the modern West... The point about how Islamophobia never had even a superficial "solution" like the US Civil Rights movements is very well made, especially after decades of Wars on Terror. Another point would be how far, far more deeply ingrained Islamophobia has become in Europe after the post-Syria etc. "refugee crisis". Israel perceived as the cornerstone of the wall of the "garden of Europe". It is still strange how easily Israel could be construed as a new Western/White country considering the West's very long, and by 1948 still very much present history of anti-Semitism. Maybe a point of comparison could be with Japan, and how relatively quickly they could be accepted as White enough to be a fellow colonial power... Some complex cultural history of racism to unpack, for sure...

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm sure you've heard the stories of how steroids destroyed military fitness, because special forces guys were cracking 250lbs and required like 10 000 calories a day, would gas out walking up a gentle hill - while Afghans were malnourished by our standards but hadn't turned themselves into "high performance" machines that needed a steady drip of glutamine or they would shut down. It turns out anavar, creatine and god knows what else can make you huge, but then you have to provide those huge muscles with calories, amino acids, potassium and water.

I was just reading parachute harnesses need to be designed because our gym rat operators now weigh as much in their shorts as they're supposed to in full battle rattle.

Lmao at turning yourself into a Ferrari or Lamborghini or whatever.

Gonna get wrecked by the Ural every time.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

See also: IDF big beard oakley operators getting completely poo poo-housed by guys in track suits in a stand-up fight

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm sure you've heard the stories of how steroids destroyed military fitness, because special forces guys were cracking 250lbs and required like 10 000 calories a day

I'm reminded of the American heartland GI who grew on a diet of plenty of protein with eggs, beef, bacon and whatnot every week fighting against a Vietnamese fighter half his size that had two bowls of seasoned rice and some protein once in every while

It's deeply ironic for the "operator" (and similar) types -- they cannot realize at all that the Palestinians are the ones who have developed that deeper moral fibre for the grim work of real war, not them. A military guy using steroids and working out in an air-conditioned gym is deep in ignorance or denial if he thinks that this is martial training.

Incidentally, I was chatting with a medical sports scientist last week about this. Every now and then comes along a military guy (who wants to be foreign legion or UN or whatever) and they ask for a consultation program, which the doc then proceeds to summarily bash over their heads that physique development has nothing to do with soldiering. The principle also applies to sports: mentality and technique are among two of the important things that are most fundamental to the activity, yet are completely missing from what is being proposed there. I mentioned Palestine to him and he said that while he never looked at it this way, it made total sense from his background: the average Palestinian in Gaza was far, far more able to the work of martial development just by mentality alone than any of those guys

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

smoobles posted:

Ham rear end

a very poor poster once said his 'ham rear end cheeks clappin' or similar, something to think about

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Real Mean Queen posted:

This one really sticks with me. Food is kind of inherently interesting, and the question of how to make and distribute military rations is a super complicated one that has been answered in a bunch of different ways. Everybody seems to do it a little differently, and that's neat.

Israel though, gently caress. It looks like they just took a box to a grocery store and blindly grabbed cans until it was full, and then said "I'll take a thousand of this"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Bg4SQvhXU&t=96s

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

"look like" lmao

I was orginally going to say they looked like they deserved some red triangles, but thought better of it. I shouldnhave just.said that the first time.

This is why Steve is much more palatable, he genuinely loves MREs and seems to respect all troops, every country troops which is kind of dumb, but better than this poo poo

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

Don't worry, the IDF are VERY proud of capturing and destroying an abandoned building.

https://twitter.com/manniefabian/status/1726577407887573363

is there any footage of these losers capturing an actual Hamas target, such as a bunker or tunnel system?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I'm reminded of the American heartland GI who grew on a diet of plenty of protein with eggs, beef, bacon and whatnot every week fighting against a Vietnamese fighter half his size that had two bowls of seasoned rice and some protein once in every while

It's deeply ironic for the "operator" (and similar) types -- they cannot realize at all that the Palestinians are the ones who have developed that deeper moral fibre for the grim work of real war, not them. A military guy using steroids and working out in an air-conditioned gym is deep in ignorance or denial if he thinks that this is martial training.

Incidentally, I was chatting with a medical sports scientist last week about this. Every now and then comes along a military guy (who wants to be foreign legion or UN or whatever) and they ask for a consultation program, which the doc then proceeds to summarily bash over their heads that physique development has nothing to do with soldiering. The principle also applies to sports: mentality and technique are among two of the important things that are most fundamental to the activity, yet are completely missing from what is being proposed there. I mentioned Palestine to him and he said that while he never looked at it this way, it made total sense from his background: the average Palestinian in Gaza was far, far more able to the work of martial development just by mentality alone than any of those guys

literally this quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_sxG6vJRao&t=14s

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CODChimera posted:

is there any footage of these losers capturing an actual Hamas target, such as a bunker or tunnel system?

Nope nothing

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

literally this quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wydDRwwXFZg

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
if you can DL more than 600lbs shrapnel no longer penetrates skin

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

KomradeX posted:

I was orginally going to say they looked like they deserved some red triangles, but thought better of it. I shouldnhave just.said that the first time.

This is why Steve is much more palatable, he genuinely loves MREs and seems to respect all troops, every country troops which is kind of dumb, but better than this poo poo

mresteve finally got rid of that state of jefferson sticker he had in the background. he is good and capable of change

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Brain Candy posted:

in the genocide passage, this is forbidden. just so malevolent and anti-life and stupid that the bronze age refused this

That's because trees (especially orchards) are extremely valuable to bronze age peoples and G*D (or more accurately, his scribes working for the king) don't want them damaged. Nowadays they just get their fruit from the supermarket so they don't need to capture the orchards intact.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

is fhat the mukhabarat fingies threat guy

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

time to watch generation kill again, and hell, why not

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Luceid posted:

time to watch generation kill again, and hell, why not

I never did watch this show, but right now there is so little to watch that now might be a good time.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Agilite sounds like a name from a WoW expansion.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

if you can DL more than 600lbs shrapnel no longer penetrates skin

Battlefield medicine journals will at some point have to account for HGH enlarging organs. Trying to treat a gut wound with Joe Rogan beachball sized organs would be a pita.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Owlbear Camus posted:

this is why you should get your mre reviews from Steve.

if he has any odious views we'll never know what they are because he's not shilling drop shipped plate carriers he just talks about how the pouched food tastes

I really, really appreciate that the guy really into military history keeps his opinions to the food

There are a couple of dudes on youtube that immediately went the hard reactionary direction during covid and it loving sucks

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CODChimera posted:

lol that would require targeting and attacking people that can fight back.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I really, really appreciate that the guy really into military history keeps his opinions to the food

There are a couple of dudes on youtube that immediately went the hard reactionary direction during covid and it loving sucks

please dont tell me they got to forgotten weapons too

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Al! posted:

forgotten weapons guy tried to publish a Ukrainian nazi’s memoirs like 2 months too early

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

It's because he is a genuine weirdo. He is a guy who probably spends hours a day tracking down MREs, doing translations of instructions in Russian MREs, and buying terrible 80s refernce T shirts. He likely has some bad opinions, like nearly anyone, but he just doesn't give a poo poo about that because he is actually just concerned with documenting what is inside the 2015 Russian Mountain Ration

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

come on dude, they were always reactionary they just didnt say it openly

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

ACAB and all that but man Patlabor's so good.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

+1

Helping your fellow man is baked into our DNA. Even when hypermilitarized and brainwashed, that empathy comes out in support of that militarization. People want to help, and they want to feel like the help they are providing is important.

yeah this is why I hate apocalyptic zombie fiction so much. People naturally work together and if someone has ever been in the middle of a disaster then you’ve felt how often you just start moving towards assistance without thinking. It’s dense ideology work that makes us truly cruel bastards. People looking for looters to shoot in a hurricane are the weird ones.

Ancient humans probably weren’t beating each other to death with bones at the first problem but loving their way through disagreements like bonobos. Rule of the strong poo poo is propaganda.

Evil fucks want us to think all the cruelty of the IDF is a natural consequence of different groups interacting as opposed to the consequences of specific philosophies of hate.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Al! posted:

Azov supporter, works with Pro-Rhodesia youtubers, and also did a third thing that I forgot about.

Edit: The third thing was wearing a NAFO patch.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 02:51 on Dec 5, 2023

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Al! posted:

burger posting but the tfr firearm racism thread is split 4 ways between ian getting worse, who's trashing on trans people, who's reppin' rhoadesia and food or car chat. if nothing more, it's a great resource to vet martial adjacent youtube celebs

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

BearsBearsBears posted:

Azov supporter, works with Pro-Rhodesia youtubers, and also did a third thing that I forgot about.

oh god ian no

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

im not an army guy so whats wrong with the israeli combat rations

Not a jarhead, but this is my understanding:

A heavy chunk of warfare, for as long as recorded history, has been about logistics. You want to reduce the number of things that can go wrong, because you need to account for everything every single person in the army needs, and what corners each soldier might end up cutting. If you don't, then your army starts deteriorating and then you need to account for other problems (such as "our rations have resulted in 1/3rd of the force being busy making GBS threads their guts out to do war").

In terms of Rations, this means squaring the circle of providing as much nutrition as humanly possible, in as many calories as humanly possible, in as appetizing a form as humanly possible, which won't ferment into something unappetizing/unhealthy, that will last as long as humanly possible, as cheap as possible, in packaging that is as durable as humanly possible, won't leech anything unhealthy into the food, and is as easy and intuitive to open as humanly possible, while also being as light as humanly possible.

Each aspect you fail to meet means that the soldier won't perform as well; if the ration is disgusting, then they won't eat it, they go hungry or even malnourished, they won't work as hard. If the food isn't healthy enough, they end up with deficiencies that harm how much work they can do. If there aren't enough calories, they get worn out sooner and their physique suffers. If the ration ferments or spoils, then they won't eat it (or get sick), see above. If the food expires too fast, you will need to regularly replace rations, which drives up the resource cost of war in production & delivery. If it costs too much, that's another budget issue. If it weighs too much, then that's a strain on the soldiers and they either can't carry as many supplies or maybe even won't bring enough rations. If the packaging is annoying to open, then they might go longer between meals because it's a pain in the rear end, and the quality of their work falls off. You get the idea.

Soldiers are recruited from all walks of life, with varying levels of personal intelligence & competency, and you need as many of them as you can supply, so you need to plan around the lowest common denominator. The Art of War is held up as this incredible work of mystical buddhist wisdom, but most of it is just "here's everything that can go wrong." As funny as the people who live off rations for the hell of it can be, it actually works because by design these things are supposed to meet all your dietary needs as quickly and easily as possible.

Most armies approach these issues with the following: mostly low moisture food, a shitload of preservatives, a shitload of sugar, a shitload of fat, a shitload of salt, thick fibrous dry bread, none of which is offensive to most's digestion, often with a heating element to heat & sterilize the food, in vacuum-sealed plastic or laminated paper, if cans are used they often have pull tabs. A lot of modern rations will even include a candy bar, both for the calories & to ensure even the biggest manchildren in the army will open their rations.

Israel's approach (going off Steve's video) appears to be a big heavy cardboard box full of cans of low quality cold wet food that tastes bad, that you need to spend minutes cutting open, that also seem to not agree with a lot of soldiers' stomachs (and also the meat seems to easily ferment).

They seem to just accept that soldiers are going to burn their money ordering Pizza Hut, and will always have access to Pizza Hut.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

One of the most jarring posters I saw towards the end of my time in the Marines was this poster that says "he's training hard because he's fighting for his home, what are you training for?" with this silhouette of a dude running on top of a hill.

God drat the USA is garbage.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

sullat posted:

That's because trees (especially orchards) are extremely valuable to bronze age peoples and G*D (or more accurately, his scribes working for the king) don't want them damaged. Nowadays they just get their fruit from the supermarket so they don't need to capture the orchards intact.

i know, just feels like it sums up the israeli death drive and blindness well

an olive tree can take forty years to mature and lives for five hundred years. to destroy a grove isn't just a crime against the people who depend on it now and those that cared for it in the past, it's also a crime against the future

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Neurolimal posted:

Israel's approach (going off Steve's video) appears to be a big heavy cardboard box full of cans of low quality cold wet food that tastes bad, that you need to spend minutes cutting open, that also seem to not agree with a lot of soldiers' stomachs (and also the meat seems to easily ferment).

They seem to just accept that soldiers are going to burn their money ordering Pizza Hut, and will always have access to Pizza Hut.

The IDF ration also includes a can of tuna with so much oil that you can replicate the miracle of having an oil lamp lasting without refueling for at least a week.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

IN FORTY YEARS OLIVE TREES WILL REGROW AND ISRAELI CHILDREN WILL REST IN THEIR SHADE AT GUSH KATIF!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Fitness youtuber Alan Thrall started at a lean 160lbs, a body well suited for military work, but then bulked into 220+ army beefcake which subsequently got him out of military work because he looked good on TV carrying caskets.