Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Well the multiplayer beta was a lot of fun but still needs some work. I uninstalled it, restored
my save and mods, and realized it wasn’t going to be worth the work of going back and forth until it’s just part of the game. It’s a lot of fun though I recommend everyone check it out with some friends. Just be absolutely sure your save files are backed up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Yeah back up your save! I went in all gung ho without backing up and lost mine. Was only 30 hours so not a huge deal but yeah. Starting again with Repentance so there’s loads of new stuff anyway! Repentance is pretty awesome and not as confusing to go direct to as the trailer made it look. Thanks again bucksmash for the really generous gift!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Relyssa posted:

There's a few that remove the mom chase entirely and just put the piece in the room where you start that whole mess. Highly recommended.

I would like this very much, couldnt find it though

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

I would like this very much, couldnt find it though

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2875881571&searchtext=key+pieces

This one lets you skip the shadow chase and the mirror malarkey. There's toggles for both if you feel like doing the tasks anyway.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Mirror malarkey is worth it though because you get an extra boss item

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Relyssa posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2875881571&searchtext=key+pieces

This one lets you skip the shadow chase and the mirror malarkey. There's toggles for both if you feel like doing the tasks anyway.

Mirror malarkey is awesome though.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ariong posted:

Mirror malarkey is awesome though.

That's why there's a toggle for it! I also like it, but not everyone does.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I have come to the conclusion that Tainted Lilith loving rules lmao

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Color Printer posted:

I have come to the conclusion that Tainted Lilith loving rules lmao

gently caress yeah she does

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Meanwhile: Jacob and Esau still exists, sadly

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

Meanwhile: Jacob and Esau still exists, sadly

I really like TJacob but regular J&E are just awful.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
How the gently caress does one not suck with Tainted Cain (other than by cheating with tools that take the seed and tell you recipes)? Do you spam cheap poo poo, get a bunch of lovely items, and never have enough bombs/keys, or do you carefully save up good pickups to make one broken item? So far I had one run where I managed to get Tech X but then I died to being bad; every other run has sucked.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

How the gently caress does one not suck with Tainted Cain (other than by cheating with tools that take the seed and tell you recipes)? Do you spam cheap poo poo, get a bunch of lovely items, and never have enough bombs/keys, or do you carefully save up good pickups to make one broken item? So far I had one run where I managed to get Tech X but then I died to being bad; every other run has sucked.

Find a good recipe, make it 20 times and break the game after a 2 hour run. Hope you can find an easy Mama Mega recipe for boss rush and Hush.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Find a good recipe, make it 20 times and break the game after a 2 hour run. Hope you can find an easy Mama Mega recipe for boss rush and Hush.

Buddy in a box is great for this.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

My favorite Tainted Cain moment was completing Greedier mode by constantly making Quints. The rooms became flooded with turrets and the enemies could barely move before dying.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

DontMockMySmock posted:

I blind ran all his challenge marks. it's a combination of kinda learning what items often lead to good items, and then just praying to rngesus that they actually lead to good recipes this time.

a few keys, any silver money, soul hearts. get some of those into the box and you'll probably get something good. try to mix items, dont just pound five coins together or you'll probably get poo poo.

If you don't like the item you're going to make, consider downgrading some of the items in your box. turn that golden bomb into a regular bomb and question reality as it turns into a much better result.

If you don't have a couple cool damage up items by floor 2 and don't think you can take mom, just reset and try again.

There is no trick that makes the character fun.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DontMockMySmock posted:

It you insist on doing it the least fun way (not that it's all that fun with the recipe mod on anyway), don't pick up any drops at all until the floor is clear then pick up just the highest quality stuff and see what it gets you.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I legit wouldnt give a poo poo about t cain IF and only IF there were no time essential completion marks

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There is also a quick reference for item rarity for the bag, and how some of them associate with item pools:

https://bindingofisaacrebirth.fandom.com/wiki/Bag_of_Crafting#Component_Types_and_Qualities

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I would generally fiddle around with low-mid quality recipes until I found something good. Like Gnawed Leaf (which wins the game with dozens of other items you can easily find) is fairly low rarity. Same for Soy/Almond Milk which goes off hard with a lot of the low rarity proc-chance items. You can also find a recipe for a damage-up like Meat and just keep making that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pro tip for greed mode with Tainted Cain: 8 pennies is Breakfast, which is a full heart and a 1 heart heal. Staying alive in greed mode is probably the biggest key to success early on, so having a heal just lying around on the ground during combat is clutch.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I hate greedier

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I just stopped playing because of Tainted Cain, why bother with everyone else's completion marks when I know I'm never going to do his. Suck rear end character made even worse with the random recipes.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I simply completed t cain before he got reworked

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tainted cain was not among the hardest three characters to complete except mayybe the speedrun marks

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

welcome posted:

I just stopped playing because of Tainted Cain, why bother with everyone else's completion marks when I know I'm never going to do his. Suck rear end character made even worse with the random recipes.

is there a website that allows you to plug in the seed and get the recipes?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

tainted cain was not among the hardest three characters to complete except mayybe the speedrun marks

I just lost a Tainted Jacob double-brimstone, cricket, bent spoon run on the last phase of The Beast fight :negative:

Had like 8 hearts left and was even in the "facetank any hits as long as you avoid Esau" mindset.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

just did a tainted cain beast run and it took over an hour and a half. ask me anything (don't ask me a single thing)

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
doing tainted cain blind was not the most difficult character i've completed the marks for so far.

he's also not the most frustrating. that still belongs to regular jacob & esau

but tainted cain is easily the most boring character in the game by a huge margin. nothing like reducing anything cool you find into just another pile of crap on the floor to kill the entire feel of the game.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

brainSnakes posted:

he's also not the most frustrating. that still belongs to regular jacob & esau

:agreed:

I made some progress on Tainted Cain (got mega satan and delirium, which feels pretty good) but every run takes an hour and a half, how the gently caress do i ever do the boss rush and hush??

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Get the shovel half on Basement 1 by killing the boss there fast enough. Then the boss rush timer is irrelevant, Hush is another matter…
I think that works, but there are also random Mega Mama recipes, that’s how I did it.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Color Printer posted:

just did a tainted cain beast run and it took over an hour and a half. ask me anything (don't ask me a single thing)

all this t cain chat both excites and terrifies me

i regularly spend 1:30-2:30 per run min maxing the poo poo out of everything. I have this wonderful, awful feeling that TCain is make for some broken as heck +3 hour runs.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Xaiter posted:

all this t cain chat both excites and terrifies me

i regularly spend 1:30-2:30 per run min maxing the poo poo out of everything. I have this wonderful, awful feeling that TCain is make for some broken as heck +3 hour runs.

the problem is that it doesn't at all feel fun or satisfying if you manage to break things with tainted cain, it's just slow tedium. i tried very hard to like playing as him but it just never clicked

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

hosed up a tainted cain run by doing ipecac + monstro's lung like a moron, stuck with it until I managed to craft a d4, and ended up with a loving lightsaber

pictured: doin a sword spin, firing a beam to the left. Technology + the sword thingy, i think?

Anyway it was pretty rad and I annihilated Mother

Makin' progress on TCain. Managed to craft a Mama Mega once to do the boss rush. With how many items there are in this game, it felt really lucky; not lookin forward to having to get another for Hush.

edit: i wouldn't find TCain half as frustrating if they had simply introduced an extra button for the Bag of Crafting (had this same issue with TMagdalene, too). I am constantly using items that I don't want to while trying to use the bag. Had an very very good run that was going to go for The Beast but I accidentally used my Fool card two rooms before Mom's Foot :mad:

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 15, 2023

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
I finally finished all of J&E's Hard Mode marks last night. On their way to an Eden Run to celebrate this accomplishment, Jacob didn't notice Esau was stuck on a speed limit sign, resulting in the older brother being struck by a semi.

The Eden run started with Cricket's Head and almost 9 starting damage. Managed to unlock Tainted Eden on that run and the unnamed challenge that comes with her.

Taking a peek at the challenge/character, oh boy. This is gonna be a trainwreck. But it can't be worse than Ultra Hard, right...? I'm looking forward to this unmitigated chaos tonight.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

For that challenge, when you get something super broken don't take any other item for the rest of the run and you should be fine

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Very close to cheating all of Jacob and Esau's marks because gently caress that stupid character

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Meowywitch posted:

Very close to cheating all of Jacob and Esau's marks because gently caress that stupid character

Do it!!!!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Meowywitch posted:

Do it. I did, no regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Crackbone posted:

Do it. I did, no regrets.