Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Paracausal posted:

All the vitriol, none of the responsibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

freebooter posted:

I glanced at the website of the Age and saw the phrase "orchestrating a child sex ring" so, uh, yeah, I'm gonna say that's a tad worse.

I think the High Court decision was correct but let's be real - there's a reason even Ardern's New Zealand refused to resettle this particular cohort.

edit - OK hang on the child sex stuff was the crime he's already served his time for, he's been rearrested for "trespass and nine counts of using social media in breach of his reporting requirements," which is all I can read because Fairfax has started playing hardball with the paywalls

According to the abc:

quote:

A recently released immigration detainee has been remanded in custody in Melbourne after being charged with failing to comply with sex offender reporting obligations.

Emran Dad, 33, was arrested in Dandenong in Melbourne's south-east earlier today.

Dad is one of 148 detainees released following a November High Court ruling which found people cannot be held in immigration detention indefinitely.

He faced Dandenong Magistrates' Court on Tuesday afternoon after being charged with nine counts of failing to comply with reporting obligations and one count of trespass.

Police allege Dad created several social media and email accounts and contacted children without telling police, constituting a breach of his obligations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Paracausal posted:

All the vitriol, none of the responsibility

tag yourself

i'm the wizard

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

GoldStandardConure posted:

tag yourself

i'm the wizard

robin neckbeard hood

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

GoldStandardConure posted:

tag yourself

i'm the wizard

I’m the top hat

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Another round of 'Kick the Autistic', as Chris-chan would say.

I just want to circle back to this (nice av btw) - the ideal world would be that people would be able to get the support they need whether it qualifies for the NDIS or not. The big issue being that everything not NDIS effectively got turfed so it'd be amazing if this was reversed somewhat but again not holding out a whole stack of hope for the ALP not to gently caress it up.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Anyone want to guess how much Seven is paying for Bruce's accommodation per fortnight?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Commit a horrid crime, serve your time, get stuck in indefinite detention because no one wants you. Finally get freedom.

Embrace freedom? No, no.

Is that man mentally impaired? Because holy poo poo, it seems like it.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Recoome posted:

I just want to circle back to this (nice av btw) - the ideal world would be that people would be able to get the support they need whether it qualifies for the NDIS or not. The big issue being that everything not NDIS effectively got turfed so it'd be amazing if this was reversed somewhat but again not holding out a whole stack of hope for the ALP not to gently caress it up.

Everything I need for my disabilities I paid for out of pocket, despite being on DSP. I don't trust the NDIS because there are people worse off than me who have died waiting for help and despite several attempts to fix the drat thing it's STILL a shitshow. I told people it was a shitshow from the very beginning and no-one believed me until everything came out in the media. Even just applying for the NDIS costs obscene amounts of money, or so I've been told.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Really, none of the action around indefinite detention matters for Labor. They have already lost because they have nothing to show that has had an impact around the cost of living or housing.

It wasn't easy under Albo after all

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

trunkh posted:

Really, none of the action around indefinite detention matters for Labor. They have already lost because they have nothing to show that has had an impact around the cost of living or housing.

The election will probably be in March 2025 when rates start to fall and they've had another year of Parliament to pop off a few crowd pleasers. Nobody will remember that Labor released busloads of foreign paedophiles into the community then.

Also they can simply pray for unbelievably intense bushfires for two years and hold a hose.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

JBP posted:

The election will probably be in March 2025 when rates start to fall and they've had another year of Parliament to pop off a few crowd pleasers. Nobody will remember that Labor released busloads of foreign paedophiles into the community then.

Also they can simply pray for unbelievably intense bushfires for two years and hold a hose.

Happy to be wrong on this, but I don't think folks forced out of rentals onto the street are going to forget, or care it was 30 years of policy failure that left them without a roof.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

trunkh posted:

Happy to be wrong on this, but I don't think folks forced out of rentals onto the street are going to forget, or care it was 30 years of policy failure that left them without a roof.

They'll vote green. It's fine.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
lol

Ombudsman slams ‘culture of fear’ under Andrews, risk to public funds over multibillion-dollar projects

the SRL has always seemed insane to me. stated benefits come nowhere near balancing with the projected investment in time and money. and that's even before they ditched the airport link, which seemed like the one part of it that everyone could agree was worth doing.

e: i think Allan will quietly put a bullet in its head a year or so out from the next election, before tunnelling starts. they can spin the prep work they've already done into some generic "precinct enrichment" thing

Mola Yam fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 5, 2023

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

trunkh posted:

It wasn't easy under Albo after all

What did they even do?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Theron posted:

I know this isn't what you meant, but they're not criminals! They've served their time and are (supposed to be under our broken system) rehabilitated. They're only criminals when they engage in new criminal acts.
yeah but saying this doesn't generate rage clicks for the content farm

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

GrandTheftAutism posted:

What did they even do?

about detainees? they lost a high court case and it turns out indefinite detention was illegal the whole time or some poo poo.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

thatbastardken posted:

about detainees? they lost a high court case and it turns out indefinite detention was illegal the whole time or some poo poo.

I meant about the cost of living or housing, or anything else really

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

They're trying to pass laws that will help everyone in precarious work but the senate doesn't like it bc small businesses (who are almost entirely exempt).

Idk how you magic up supply overnight for housing but state and fed should magic up some supply immediately and freeze rents for a year to both thump inflation and be popular.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

JBP posted:

They're trying to pass laws that will help everyone in precarious work but the senate doesn't like it bc small businesses (who are almost entirely exempt).

curious about this as someone in precarious work, are there any details online anywhere?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

GrandTheftAutism posted:

I already have antivaxxers using me as a prop for their bullshit and ignoring me when I call them out on it so you're halfway there

Another round of 'Kick the Autistic', as Chris-chan would say.

Enough. I did my best to explain my position in good faith, and all you've done is trolled and baited. I'm not a racist or some useful idiot and gently caress you if you want to claim otherwise. I'm not going to talk about the referendum any further, you whiny little bitch. You lost, get over it.

... What? You got disagreeable ideas about racial representation but it's rude to disagree because you have autism?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

huh interesting, fbi have arrested a bloke in relation to wieambilla shooting last year

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

religiously motivated? thought they were sovcits?

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

religiously motivated? thought they were sovcits?

Sovcits and millennial evangelicism are not mutually incompatible. In fact, they are often co-morbid.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

curious about this as someone in precarious work, are there any details online anywhere?

I assume this is easier to read than the DEWR page on it:

https://www.australianunions.org.au/2023/10/17/lets-get-wages-moving-again-close-the-loopholes/

Lmao it literally links here:

https://www.dewr.gov.au/closing-loopholes

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Captain Theron posted:

I know this isn't what you meant, but they're not criminals! They've served their time and are (supposed to be under our broken system) rehabilitated. They're only criminals when they engage in new criminal acts.

bowmore posted:

yeah but saying this doesn't generate rage clicks for the content farm

For the curious that isn’t how it works for non-citizens (who would ordinarily be subject to deportation), and it isn’t really how it works even for citizens these days (as cases like Fardon and Pompano are basically templates on how to draft constitutionally valid control orders).

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Captain Theron posted:

Sovcits and millennial evangelicism are not mutually incompatible. In fact, they are often co-morbid.

hmm yeah thats true

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

ty, it owns and is hilarious wage theft isnt criminalized, my current company are p ok but ive worked for multiple orgs that do it in the past and its always bizarre to get a grand+ in backpay when they get caught and realize if i stole that much from them i would thrown in the clink. i dont know why its getting held up but i assume writing up a law that would allow for egregious wage theft to be punishable by law would make a bunch of people poo poo themselfs with anger

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 6, 2023

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-fee...lshare:copylink

Rob has stood up 350 women on dates. He says incels are taking revenge
Bitter about being unable to find a partner, one man has made it his mission to get back at women – by catfishing them. Experts warn online misogyny spread by the growing incel movement can have serious real-life consequences.

Rob said he’s been in trouble with the law, and has admitted to threatening to kill a woman. In 2019, Rob was charged and given an intervention order for stalking a woman.

He showed The Feed a court document showing he was refused bail for breaching an intervention order.

The document states Rob was refused bail because of “history of prior breaches of bail”, “lack of fixed address” and “lack of social ties”. There were also concerns for the victim, who feared Rob would find out where she lived.

Rob says he was later granted bail following a recommendation from his doctor, although this cannot be verified by The Feed. Rob said he’s been diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

Judges will gain the power to cancel the Australian citizenship of some serious offenders and to preventively detain some non-citizens released by the high court ruling on indefinite detention, due to two government bills passing in the final week of parliament.

On Wednesday the immigration minister, Andrew Giles, declared he had begun preparations to ensure he was “ready to go” once the new regime was enacted allowing him to apply to state supreme courts to re-detain serious offenders who could not be deported.

With the House of Representatives returning a day early for a condolence motion for Peta Murphy, Labor is set to use Coalition support in that chamber to pass the preventive detention regime on Wednesday evening after it cleared the Senate on Tuesday.

The rush to legislate preventive detention drew condemnation from the Greens, crossbench MPs and refugee and asylum seeker advocates, who warn it will create a parallel legal system allowing migrants and refugees to be imprisoned on the basis of what they might do in the future.

It's like I'm seeing double! FOUR LNPs!

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Lid posted:

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-fee...lshare:copylink

Rob has stood up 350 women on dates. He says incels are taking revenge
Bitter about being unable to find a partner, one man has made it his mission to get back at women – by catfishing them. Experts warn online misogyny spread by the growing incel movement can have serious real-life consequences.

Rob said he’s been in trouble with the law, and has admitted to threatening to kill a woman. In 2019, Rob was charged and given an intervention order for stalking a woman.

He showed The Feed a court document showing he was refused bail for breaching an intervention order.

The document states Rob was refused bail because of “history of prior breaches of bail”, “lack of fixed address” and “lack of social ties”. There were also concerns for the victim, who feared Rob would find out where she lived.

Rob says he was later granted bail following a recommendation from his doctor, although this cannot be verified by The Feed. Rob said he’s been diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder.

wow, that last sentence

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

https://nit.com.au/06-12-2023/8934/coalition-labor-combine-to-sink-UNDRIP-bill

labor voting progressive no and voting with dutton, you hate to see it :(

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
rob sounds like a oval office

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
baffled by the ability to get to the stage of asking 350 women on dates and never once thinking 'perhaps i should not be evil'

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

ungulateman posted:

baffled by the ability to get to the stage of asking 350 women on dates and never once thinking 'perhaps i should not be evil'

250 of them were Anidav alt accounts left over from the temple game

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

ty, it owns and is hilarious wage theft isnt criminalized, my current company are p ok but ive worked for multiple orgs that do it in the past and its always bizarre to get a grand+ in backpay when they get caught and realize if i stole that much from them i would thrown in the clink. i dont know why its getting held up but i assume writing up a law that would allow for egregious wage theft to be punishable by law would make a bunch of people poo poo themselfs with anger
the bill being held up is mostly just lambie and pocock wanted more time to look at it in committee than the government wanted to give them. pocock's indicated support for the wage theft bit but lambie has some dumb concerns about small business or something, and they both have various concerns with other bits of the bill.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Imprisonment without need for a conviction is ridiculous AND sounds like they're setting up for another high court challenge. Isn't this problem a job for police surveillance and/or conditional visas rather than attempting to get courts to rubber stamp criminal punishments without a trial?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

ungulateman posted:

incels and people on the more alt right side of conservatism tend to lack empathy

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Non Compos Mentis posted:

rob sounds like a oval office

I like that he is getting so many dates and rather than treating the women in a manner that would make them like him he just decides to be a oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Everything I need for my disabilities I paid for out of pocket, despite being on DSP. I don't trust the NDIS because there are people worse off than me who have died waiting for help and despite several attempts to fix the drat thing it's STILL a shitshow. I told people it was a shitshow from the very beginning and no-one believed me until everything came out in the media. Even just applying for the NDIS costs obscene amounts of money, or so I've been told.

I'm amazed by the horror stories people tell about getting the NDIS because we had already managed to finally find an OT and speechy for our kid (and were just hoping to get some help with the cost), applied, filled in a form, did two pretty easy phone interviews and then got a frankly ridiculous amount of money over a two year period that is way more than we could ever spend and at no point were even asked how much we needed.

Like I'm sure there are plenty of absolute trash parts of the system around the country but jeez it's just whiplash with how easy it was here in Brisbane.