Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Bregor posted:

Mikolas has had a pretty good run too. Sometimes guys just figure it out. Honestly $5 million AAV for any arm that could possibly give you 100+ decent innings seems like a good gamble to take.

IP is such a wildly undervalued stat, just being there to pick up the ball and absorb whatever is so useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

tadashi posted:

Seattle just making room on the roster for Ohtani, right?

:negative:

i'm just gonna cry myself to sleep tonight

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

elentar posted:

IP is such a wildly undervalued stat, just being there to pick up the ball and absorb whatever is so useful

This is always more apparent when your 5th starter and/or bullpen is hurt or bad or just AAAA guys and your manager is standing around like Travolta waiting for Uma to come down

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

elentar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CPm2f_u_WY

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The problem is that Fedde has never been able to pitch beyond the 5th cause he stinks like real bad.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Sitting thinking about baseball and man it's been awhile since I've been so bummed. And i've watched some godawful mariners teams the last fifteen years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
:siren: BIG FREE AGENT SIGNING :siren:

Wade Miley returns to the Brewers for 1x8.5

Not quite as big a free agent as Lance Lynn, but still on point for Milwaukee

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 5, 2023

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mike Axisa is also reporting that Cole is a big King fan and is lobbying the FO to keep him.

I'll believe it's really scuttled the trade when Soto ends up elsewhere, though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1732062024820043806

I legitimately don't understand this lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ohtani’s a big fan of Dunedin, FL

Bregor
May 31, 2013

It’s all vibes with the kids today

Oh did I say vibes? I meant wallet

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ohtani's agent has determined the Jays are the likeliest team to run up the price the Dodgers will ultimately pay

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
If Shohei likes Dunedin he's the most easy to impress major FA who has ever existed in any American professional sport.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

:siren: BIG FREE AGENT SIGNING :siren:

Wade Miley returns to the Brewers for 1.8x5

Not quite as big a free agent as Lance Lynn, but still on point for Milwaukee

Wade Miley 2011-2020: 10.2 rWAR
2021-2023: 7.8 rWAR

Did he unlock the secrets of the left-ballers?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

What exactly do you not understand?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
https://twitter.com/JackCurryYES/status/1732066407951536325

Even Curry is on Ohtani to the Jays :raise:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

tadashi posted:

Still annoyed that Hinch broke Miley for the rest of the 2019 season chasing a no hitter that never materialized

Kind of a nothing statement isn't it? "The Jays believe if they sign Ohtani they'll get more butts in the seats" yeah no poo poo

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Also I assume the meeting in Dunedin is because they just renovated that complex and its generally thought of as if not the best, than one of the best facilities in the minors/spring training. Ohtani would be doing most of his rehabbing there so why would he not want to see that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

What exactly do you not understand?

It's a mid sized market, cold weather, bad ballpark team that wins like 90 games in their best years in a division with both the Yankees and the Red Sox and is a farther flight from Japan than where he is now.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Oh no, the big scary Yankees/Red Sox...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Popete posted:

Oh no, the big scary Yankees/Red Sox...

Do the last 20 years.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well once they invent a time machine I'm sure Ohtani will take that into consideration.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Popete posted:

Well once they invent a time machine I'm sure Ohtani will take that into consideration.

So your contention is that the Yankees and Red Sox are done being relevant and will just be lovely every year now?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
yes

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ok, guess we'll see.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

mcmagic posted:

So your contention is that the Yankees and Red Sox are done being relevant and will just be lovely every year now?

that's what my source, mcmagic, says.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Poque posted:

which mcmagic? i didn't say that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Poque posted:

My sources tell me that teams, such as the Padres just to cite one example, are lining up to trade the Yankees good players for pupuplatters of semiprospects, just to do them a solid and help them win like it's their God given right to do.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

tadashi posted:

Brewers pitching lab in 2018 taught him the cutter which completely changed his performance. It’s why he is fond of Milwaukee and willing to take below average contracts.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think 1x8.5 is about as big a contract as a pitcher of Miley's age and track record can reasonably hope for

Bregor
May 31, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Keep going I’m almost there

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

My sources tell me that teams, such as the Padres just to cite one example, are lining up to trade the Yankees good players for pupuplatters of semiprospects, just to do them a solid and help them win like it's their God given right to do.

I'm sure the Padres will trade Soto to the best offer that is dictated by what the market is and what their financial situation allows.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
According to my sources the Texas Rangers are the best baseball team in the world.

Still feels good. Creed, your writeup is this weekend. For realsies.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Creed, your writeup is this weekend. For realsies.

:yeshaha:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Intruder posted:

Still annoyed that Hinch broke Miley for the rest of the 2019 season chasing a no hitter that never materialized

Kind of a nothing statement isn't it? "The Jays believe if they sign Ohtani they'll get more butts in the seats" yeah no poo poo

Yes and no. Curry isn't much of a rumor monger, so if he's commenting on it too then he has heard or knows things too

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
But he's not saying anything related to Ohtani leaning toward the Jays, only that the Jays want him so they can draw more fans

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

It's a mid sized market, cold weather, bad ballpark team that wins like 90 games in their best years in a division with both the Yankees and the Red Sox and is a farther flight from Japan than where he is now.
Toronto is the 4th largest city on the continent (bigger than Chicago) and the 3rd largest market in MLB, not even really counting how it gets most of the rest of Canada in it's tv market.

Any perceptions about it being more financially constrained than that are self-imposed by the corporate ownership.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 5, 2023

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Toronto is the 4th largest city on the continent (bigger than Chicago) and the 3rd largest market in MLB, not even really counting how it gets most of the rest of Canada in it's tv market.

Any perceptions about it being more financially constrained than that are self-imposed by the corporate ownership.

Rogers Communications is a multi billion dollar corporation, they can outspend any team if they wanted to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

bawfuls posted:

Also, yeah it gets cold in the winter, but baseball is a summer sport and I don't think anybody would be citing the weather if we were talking about him playing in New York instead of Toronto, despite the winters being comparable.