Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

fuctifino posted:

e: Which seems to be partially stolen/inspired from this theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isdblo17THs

A movie called The Conversation? Must be a sequel to The Event, and a prequel to The Happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

FiftySeven posted:

I am so stressed out from this, its unreal. Getting to marry and live with my partner should not be a thing only granted to the financially privileged

I'm in a similar boat but further along - my wife got the Fiancé visa and then the family visa about 3 months ago, which means she can stay for 2.5ish years until you have to do family visa 2: the revisaning.

I only just scraped the financial requirements on earnings for those, so 38k is absolutely out of the question. If they don't grandfather her in, or they don't count our combined income (which as of today we'd just squeak through on assuming nothing changed), it'll be impossible for her to stay here.

I don't know how true this is, but I did see on twitter that someone said that when the threshold was increased last time (in 2012), those that were already on the path were not required to meet the new threshold, however, that was also before they introduced the finance -> family -> family 2 process, so I don't know for sure.

When introduced in 2012, minimum wage was £6.19, so on a 37.5 hour work week that'd be £12,070.50. The threshold was £18,600, and to get that you'd need to be on £9.54 or a difference of £3.35 per hour or 59% more than min wage.

The new threshold is expected to come into force in spring, so presumably at the same time as the new min wage which will be £11.44, or £22,308 per year. The new threshold of £38,700 means £19.84 per hour, a difference of £8.40 per hour or 73.4% more than min wage. Or put another way the difference between min wage and the threshold has increased by 150.75%

If the purpose of the threshold is to ensure that you can financially support your spouse, they are tacitly saying that two people need 73.4% more than minimum wage to live. And with two people working full time on the upcoming min wage, they just make it over the new threshold. So you need to be earning the wage of almost 2 people to get your partner in to the uk.

I am hazy on this stuff, but the family visa does appear to count combined income (but only income earned in the UK, and be employed for more than 6 months) to count toward the threshold, but a finance visa doesn't. So that means the fiancé visa is unobtainable if you're not rich, and going straight to the partner visa to use combined income doesn't help because your partner has to be earning in the uk already which they probably aren't.

It was unfair before, and it will soon be 150.75% worse.
So yeah, we're worried too and I 100% agree that this is a punishment for not being rich.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I have just written a letter to my MP and I am gonna walk round to her office and hand deliver it. She is the shadow Home secretary so she's actually in a pretty good place for me to protest this bullshit to.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

keep punching joe posted:

A lot of money is pretty relative to what you're used to. When I was on minimum wage after leaving school 20k was a pipe dream. Now 30k to me feels... just enough to not have to worry about being destitute but also not enough to deal with poo poo that comes up. To me 50k seems like scrooge mcduck money.

I'm in the 50k range and my wife on thy high 40s and it did feel like scrooge mcduck money to us too as I was in the same boat going from minimum wage shelf monkey to head of dept over the last 20 years.

Until we had kids.

We've currently got a £10k a year nursery cost that's going to go up to £20k from next summer (that's including the childcare support, and assuming it doesn't go up again).

When £2k comes out of your pocket every month for just one thing, things start to feel a bit worrisome.

We've got a nice house out in the middle of nowhere so the mortgage is currently floating about £1k a month too, but our interest rate is gonna shoot up just as the kids are both in nursery full time. I'm estimating another £500 a month for that.

Once we get past the nursery, I'm sure things will get back to feeling a bit more like scrooge mcduck. Other than feeding them, and occasionally buying clothes/toys I don't think kids cost £2k a month do they?

The thing is it's a long loving time they'll be in nursery. One kid has just turned 2, so he's got another 2 and a bit years before he starts school and the other isn't 6 months old yet, so she's got another 4 years once she starts.

I'm basically crossing my fingers that for the next 3 or so years, neither of us are made redundant (my salary is already frozen this year and next), nothing breaks down and that prices don't go up significantly again.

It feels weirdly ungrateful/inconsiderate to think this way too given that so many people are in worse situations, but things really don't feel as secure as I'd originally thought for such high salaries.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mega Comrade posted:

I don't think it's just the reform crowd. "Immigration is too high" is a drum the media and politicians have been beating forever and has a lot of cross party support. Rwanda is an extreme solution but if you asked the average person on the street if we should lower immigration they would say yes.
They have been tricked into believing it's the cause of all our problems and will probably be a trick Starmer continues using because it's so politically valuable a tool.
They're specifically terrified about losing voters to Reform/UKIP/"I'm staying at home because they're all the same" voters though, so that's why they take the specific half thought out forms that they do. It's a continuation of "we have to promise a Brexit referendum or we'll lose people to UKIP" "but what will that actually solve?" "losing people to UKIP" logic.

Labour are angling for a slightly different set of anti-immigration nonsense, which is still bad but doesn't have a bunch of billion pound floating national embarrassments that are supposedly impressive to someone, whereas Reform themselves are in some kind of dogshit bubble because what they want is not achievable by observable reality and that clearly means that observable reality is wrong.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

DaWolfey posted:

I'm in a similar boat but further along - my wife got the Fiancé visa and then the family visa about 3 months ago, which means she can stay for 2.5ish years until you have to do family visa 2: the revisaning.

I only just scraped the financial requirements on earnings for those, so 38k is absolutely out of the question. If they don't grandfather her in, or they don't count our combined income (which as of today we'd just squeak through on assuming nothing changed), it'll be impossible for her to stay here.

I don't know how true this is, but I did see on twitter that someone said that when the threshold was increased last time (in 2012), those that were already on the path were not required to meet the new threshold, however, that was also before they introduced the finance -> family -> family 2 process, so I don't know for sure.

When introduced in 2012, minimum wage was £6.19, so on a 37.5 hour work week that'd be £12,070.50. The threshold was £18,600, and to get that you'd need to be on £9.54 or a difference of £3.35 per hour or 59% more than min wage.

The new threshold is expected to come into force in spring, so presumably at the same time as the new min wage which will be £11.44, or £22,308 per year. The new threshold of £38,700 means £19.84 per hour, a difference of £8.40 per hour or 73.4% more than min wage. Or put another way the difference between min wage and the threshold has increased by 150.75%

The crucial bit you're missing is that min wage in relation to median wage has increased significantly since then - in 2012 median income was 21000, so significantly above the limit, while right now median income is ~28000 (according to the government percentile chart anyway, allowing for 10% wage growth over last 2 years) which is very much below the 38k limit.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

FiftySeven posted:

I have just written a letter to my MP and I am gonna walk round to her office and hand deliver it. She is the shadow Home secretary so she's actually in a pretty good place for me to protest this bullshit to.

Apart from the fact she fully supports these rules lol. But good luck.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

forkboy84 posted:

Apart from the fact she fully supports these rules lol. But good luck.

That's why I consider her well placed to complain to. She deserves to have a bit of rage thrown at her.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Kin posted:

I'm in the 50k range and my wife on thy high 40s and it did feel like scrooge mcduck money to us too as I was in the same boat going from minimum wage shelf monkey to head of dept over the last 20 years.

Until we had kids.

We've currently got a £10k a year nursery cost that's going to go up to £20k from next summer (that's including the childcare support, and assuming it doesn't go up again).

When £2k comes out of your pocket every month for just one thing, things start to feel a bit worrisome.

We've got a nice house out in the middle of nowhere so the mortgage is currently floating about £1k a month too, but our interest rate is gonna shoot up just as the kids are both in nursery full time. I'm estimating another £500 a month for that.

Once we get past the nursery, I'm sure things will get back to feeling a bit more like scrooge mcduck. Other than feeding them, and occasionally buying clothes/toys I don't think kids cost £2k a month do they?

The thing is it's a long loving time they'll be in nursery. One kid has just turned 2, so he's got another 2 and a bit years before he starts school and the other isn't 6 months old yet, so she's got another 4 years once she starts.

I'm basically crossing my fingers that for the next 3 or so years, neither of us are made redundant (my salary is already frozen this year and next), nothing breaks down and that prices don't go up significantly again.

It feels weirdly ungrateful/inconsiderate to think this way too given that so many people are in worse situations, but things really don't feel as secure as I'd originally thought for such high salaries.

This is exactly what I was talking about.
In the top 15% of earners, yet still only just getting by.

You'd think being in the top 15% of earners in one of the richest countries on earth would put you comfortably into nice car, expressive clothes and eating out regularly territory, but instead it's 'can afford a mortgage and raise children'. A standard of living that a couple of generations ago was achievable by a single earner with no degree

Country's hosed

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Kin posted:

2 kids also under 4 and both in childcare, but only 3 days a week for the low low monthly cost of

childcare is utterly hosed

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fatelvis posted:

I'm pretty much the same, and the bolded is by far the biggest difference it has made to my life. It also makes it easier to move to other jobs since you have some saved and consequently (I think at least) employers are less able to treat you like poo poo.

Absolutely this.

In my late 20s I moved to a job which paid several £k more than the job I was in (no point giving numbers as they are 1980s numbers.)- a couple of months in, I started to hate the job.

Basically, I was employed for my qualifications but made to do cold-call sales for half of every day (definitely NOT in the job description I applied for) and at the time which I hated and suffered from terrible phone anxiety even when calling friends & relatives let alone strangers in buying departments! I was stuck though in that job because I had no savings, living in a lovely HMO, pay cheque to pay cheque.

I stuck it out for a few more months - my then boyfriend getting more and more anxious in case I quit the job and he would have to look after me (something that had recently happened with his brother & his gf) - crying every morning, wanting to throw a sicky every day. One day I quit. I said to myself "never again am I going to be stuck in a job I hate, beholden to an employer because of needing the money. I got temping work on higher pay almost immediately. Luckily I used to enjoy audio typing and was good at it.

Anyway, over the next 4 years I dedicated myself to accruing somehow 2 years worth of living expenses. This included doing casual chambermaiding work on weekends in the big hotels in West London (there used to be a job centre in Mortimer St where you could go along about 6am and sit there and they'd call out casual jobs that had come in late the previous day or early in the morning 'chambermaid needed - such a hotel - start time 8am' or whatever.), taking out car loans for non-existent cars & banking the money & so on.*

*was intrigued at some point to discover - I think it was in Poor Economics - that this method of getting savings by borrowing, say £1000, putting it savings and paying off the debt - is used by quite a lot of people (mostly women!) because for some people, paying off debt is an important commitment so it does happen, while stinting money to get savings is not priority. So while on the one hand it makes no sense in terms of pure financial considerations when interest on debt is taken into account, it does make sense from a different, human, perspective.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kecske posted:

This is also the other end of the 'migration problem' that the Tories and Reformers and Labour nationalists of all types have.

They've spent decades blaming immigration for everything, but annual population growth is completely anaemic, but also gently caress you if you want any help whatsoever raising kids.

It's impossible to square the three so you either get putting the small boats on the big boats to distract from the migration figures or blaming the population numbers on Sunak being a WEF lizardman or basically any wild rear end poo poo other than addressing economic inequalities.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Private Speech posted:

The crucial bit you're missing is that min wage in relation to median wage has increased significantly since then - in 2012 median income was 21000, so significantly above the limit, while right now median income is ~28000 (according to the government percentile chart anyway, allowing for 10% wage growth over last 2 years) which is very much below the 38k limit.

Yes you're right, that bit does complete the circle and demonstrates that it has become unobtainable to the average wage earner too.

The alternative way of meeting the criteria was through savings - if you didn't have the income then having £16k in savings was also acceptable.
I don't know if there has been mention of this figure changing, but i'd be willing to bet that it too will go up, and probably to about £40k

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Wait wtf, is normal island having a teeny weeny nuclear accident?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There was a cyber attack against some infrastructure at Sellafield, but the graphic isn't based on something that's currently happening, it's based on top of the range simulations like building a terrible reactor there in the 50s and letting it catch fire.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

There was a cyber attack against some infrastructure at Sellafield, but the graphic isn't based on something that's currently happening, it's based on top of the range simulations like building a terrible reactor there in the 50s and letting it catch fire.

Phew was worried there for a sec-

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is new news

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/05/sellafield-nuclear-site-leak-could-pose-risk-to-public

quote:

Revealed: Sellafield nuclear site has leak that could pose risk to public
Safety concerns at Europe’s most hazardous plant have caused diplomatic tensions with US, Norway and Ireland

Sellafield, Europe’s most hazardous nuclear site, has a worsening leak from a huge silo of radioactive waste that could pose a risk to the public, the Guardian can reveal.

Concerns over safety at the crumbling building, as well as cracks in a reservoir of toxic sludge known as B30, have caused diplomatic tensions with countries including the US, Norway and Ireland, which fear Sellafield has failed to get a grip of the problems.

The leak of radioactive liquid from one of the “highest nuclear hazards in the UK” – a decaying building at the vast Cumbrian site known as the Magnox swarf storage Silo (MSSS) – is likely to continue to 2050. That could have “potentially significant consequences” if it gathers pace, risking contaminating groundwater, according to an official document

Cracks have also developed in the concrete and asphalt skin covering the huge pond containing decades of nuclear sludge, part of a catalogue of safety problems at the site.

These concerns have emerged in Nuclear Leaks, a year-long Guardian investigation into problems spanning cyber hacking, radioactive contamination and toxic workplace culture at the vast nuclear dump.

Sellafield, a sprawling 6 sq km (2 sq mile) site on the Cumbrian coast employing 11,000 people, stores and treats nuclear waste from weapons programmes and nuclear power generation, and is the largest such facility in Europe.

e: These are photos from 2014 - https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/oct/29/sellafield-nuclear-radioactive-risk-storage-ponds-fears

I doubt things have naturally improved by themselves over the past 9 years

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 5, 2023

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
"It'll mostly kill foreigners" one weird trick to increase support for nuclear power

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's lots of plants there so just rename it to a green site.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Back when I was about 6-7 there was a campaign to pressure Tony Blair to shut down Sellafield saying that it was bad for the Irish coast and potentially disastrous if something went wrong. I'm not sure if it was supported by the government but in my case they were able to get the entire school in on it. First act of political activism for me.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/sellafield-postcards-to-reach-no-10-today-1.421375

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

DreddyMatt posted:

You'd think being in the top 15% of earners in one of the richest countries on earth would put you comfortably into nice car, expressive clothes and eating out regularly territory, but instead it's 'can afford a mortgage and raise children'.
gently caress, less than a generation. In 2008, before I got RSI and my life became surreal, I was supporting myself on a £14k salary, renting in a shared house, and honestly felt I had enough spare for the odd game or trip to the pub if I wanted.

Now I'm not earning, and we live off my wife's sole income, and every month it feels like we barely make it to the finish line. I don't just mean in terms of finance, I mean in terms of she has said if she didn't have me cooking, cleaning, washing and organising the house, she would turn into a feral racoon person and probably get fired for turning up to work wearing a cereal box.

And we are in the extrordinarily optimistic position of having a mortgage smaller than most rents (I'm not going to say lucky because the only reason we only have a half mortgage is because my wife's mum died young of prolonged cancer and there was a pandemic that killed the previous occupants of this house).

And still we have fuel companies boasting about record profits while our heating bill is now four times the size of any other bill we pay. We went through looking at them the other day and it was £60 a month this, £50 a month that; and then £180 for bloody octopus.

Buy fewer octupi, I guess.

The worst of it is how when you point this out, there's a certain type of tory bellend like Lee Anderson or Jamie Oliver who pulls the whole "hmnyah, but I see you have a television and a playstation, you could sell those and live off porridge" like having an entire country living in emiserated destinution is fine, actually.

Actually no, it makes perfect sense for people like Sunak and Cameron to boast about Britain being one of the richest countries in the world but never spending it. Miserly cunts.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Britain's crumbling nuclear infrastructure gives me the fear, though not as much as the many allegedly unreported accidents and incidents that take place in Faslane every year.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm in the Fallout:UK mod. I'm in the Children of Men cosplay. I'm in the combination Fallout:UK mod / Children of Men cosplay.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Even a catastrophic failure of the waste infrastructure wouldn't kill as many people as Britain's oil infrastructure running normally, so maybe the government can claim that's being expanded in the north sea to kill us all first as a precautionary measure.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Would swim in this.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

Britain's crumbling nuclear infrastructure gives me the fear, though not as much as the many allegedly unreported accidents and incidents that take place in Faslane every year.

Tbh, this is one of the only things that greatly put me off nuclear power. It might be fine when the government cares about the populace, or failing that their own wellbeing. But that all goes out the window when the neoliberal death driven fuckwits get in charge.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah but the same is true but worse for most other forms too.

There might not be one big scary incident to point to, but the long term deaths and destruction from going drill baby drill in the north sea will be a few chernobyls at least.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Man I spend the day busy and it all pops off huh? Glad fuct got unprobed early.

Now what's this about nuclear leakage?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Now what's this about nuclear leakage?
Four decades of a whiskey and korma diet will do that.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Anyone got any experience of Love Energy?

I received some fantastic quotes from them from EDF etc on Friday (relating to our non-domestic supply for common parts of the building), but now I've had a further contact from them resulting from my very initial inquiry from a completely different person that seems to indicate the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing as the quotes I've just seen are wildly different from the quotes I was sent on Friday.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Would swim in this.

As long as you don't dive down and rub your face on the nuclear waste it's probably fine

https://what-if.xkcd.com/29/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They could fund the cleanup by selling that as experience days.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

kecske posted:

2 kids also under 4 and both in childcare, but only 3 days a week for the low low monthly cost of

As someone without kids - what? How does childcare cost north of £2,000 and how can people afford it? Is this because you're classed as rich so get no support? Is it some super fancy place?

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Would swim in this.

Warm water near the coast with relatively little poo? Perfect.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's a valid point, the radiation sources mean it's a lot less likely to give you typhoid than any water on the coasts.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
A grand a month per child was normal when the pandemic hit.
My lads nursery shut in April, and we had to look after him until he started school in September. We saved six grand.
(Work was amazing and basically gave us the time off paid as childcare, me doing these days a week and the wife two. There are some advantages of being public sector)

I can see fifteen hundred to two grand now, post inflation.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

a catastrophic failure of the waste infrastructure
What is a nuclear storage silo if not The Biggest Bin.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's a bit of an internet cliché, but insanely accurate for my generation:

Plants are the new pets.
Pets are the new kids.
Kids are like the new exotic animals, where you need to be incredibly wealthy and slightly insane to have them.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's a bit of an internet cliché, but insanely accurate for my generation:

Plants are the new pets.
Pets are the new kids.
Kids are like the new exotic animals, where you need to be incredibly wealthy and slightly insane to have them.

The neoliberal version of Children of Men is way more boring than the fictional version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

fuctifino posted:

I doubt things have naturally improved by themselves over the past 9 years

looks like nature is healing