Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Speaking of car subscriptions, I got a letter today from Sirius XM wanting me to pay for more Sirius XM because the trial period in the id4 expired. Why the gently caress would I want Sirius XM when I have whatever I want to listen to via Android Auto?

Some people do things differently than you?

And sometimes having a person actually put together a coherent radio show is better than Spotify or pandoras dumb algorithm.

Also sports, comedy and news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It gets me music, news, and comedy stations in areas without signal without having to manage my own set of offline audio files so that's worth the $5/mo to me

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah we kept it going after the trial in the bolt. The curation is good and I’m listening to music I wouldn’t have otherwise. We also use Plexamp via CarPlay.

Edit: lol just realized that I’m actually using it right now, casting the app to our living room stereo. We get a lot of use out of it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Wayne Knight posted:

Yeah we kept it going after the trial in the bolt. The curation is good and I’m listening to music I wouldn’t have otherwise. We also use Plexamp via CarPlay.

Edit: lol just realized that I’m actually using it right now, casting the app to our living room stereo. We get a lot of use out of it.

Yep, it's great for parties and on the weekends we will often just play SiriusXM Chill on all the home speakers.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

QuarkJets posted:

I'm really not sure how Sirius XM is still a thing, their customer base is the intersection of people who are A) not happy with free car radio, B) too old to know how to use their phone for media, and C) able to afford a monthly subscription for car radio. How is this a successful business model? I don't get it.

Some people live in the actual boonies where even 3G cellular doesn’t exist and you only get AM radio when the sky is clear enough.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I have it, they aren't idiots, you can get a subscription for $4.99 if you just tell them gently caress you, I will sign up for your service but not for $20 a month because I already have Spotify.

It's nice, it's probably 80% of my listening in the car.

It's not what you think it is, I have to give them some credit, they really have evolved. SIriusXM is now some, it's hard to describe, curated playlist thing with a hybrid streaming/broadcasting component? There are tons more stations, many of which are highly specific, some come from satellite, some come from streaming, some a combo of the two. If you switch a station, it automatically picks up from the start of a song, you can replay, skip back multiple songs, there are some OnDemand programs.

You don't even have to do that, i keep getting snail mail and paper begging me to sub at $5 a month, but i wont

I don't pay for spotify either, if anything I want onstar for nothing but i'll bail on that too

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, I think I'm out of the electric car market for now. I was looking at one as a second car (for daily use), looking at models coming out next year, but my ICE DD likely met it's demise today, so I need to replace that sooner than next year. I don't think I'm ready to go electric without a reasonable ICE car for frequent winter trips to mountains without great charging infrastructure that would push the winter range on a lot of models that I'd consider. I'm also without charging infrastructure at home, and while I planned ahead and got a subpanel in the garage, I was always planning for a time that I could actually plan for and not "oops, your car is totalled."

Not that I think any of you probably care about my car shopping habits. I do appreciate the feedback I got here while looking at Mach E Rally and Ioniq5 N stuff. Interestingly while I was out today, I actually saw an Ioniq5 in person and it is not a bad looking car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Russian Bear posted:

What’s the newest EV that isn’t connected to the internet? Ioniq/Soul EV? i3?

17+ Soul has LTE, older are 3g and don't work anymore, at least for the U.S.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Bless y'all still using Sirius, you're keeping my mail carrier employed, and ensuring I never run out of paper to start fires with.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I genuinely don't understand how anyone can listen to satellite radio. I had sirius xm in my last car and the audio quality was terrible. Apparently this is because they are limited to between 48 and 64 kbps bandwidth per channel. Maybe it would be tolerable for talk radio, but I couldn't stand it for music. It sounds way worse than terrestrial radio stations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If it was just about paying for the data subscription they wouldn't be removing CarPlay support. They want that sweet sweet recurring services revenue off all their customers that have already paid mid 5 figures for their product, not to provide a great hassle free product.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't mind paying for a data connection but at least let me slot in my own SIM card (or eSIM).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

distortion park posted:

If it was just about paying for the data subscription they wouldn't be removing CarPlay support. They want that sweet sweet recurring services revenue off all their customers that have already paid mid 5 figures for their product, not to provide a great hassle free product.

This.

If it’s a paid option for the car, then just roll an x- year cost into the price of the car. Instead, it’s pay for one option and then subscribe for other options or else.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

carticket posted:

So, I think I'm out of the electric car market for now. I was looking at one as a second car (for daily use), looking at models coming out next year, but my ICE DD likely met it's demise today, so I need to replace that sooner than next year. I don't think I'm ready to go electric without a reasonable ICE car for frequent winter trips to mountains without great charging infrastructure that would push the winter range on a lot of models that I'd consider. I'm also without charging infrastructure at home, and while I planned ahead and got a subpanel in the garage, I was always planning for a time that I could actually plan for and not "oops, your car is totalled."

Not that I think any of you probably care about my car shopping habits. I do appreciate the feedback I got here while looking at Mach E Rally and Ioniq5 N stuff. Interestingly while I was out today, I actually saw an Ioniq5 in person and it is not a bad looking car.

Check out a PHEV. I daily drive a 2017 Prius Prime and its a solid car and charges easily in a few hours with a 110v plug charger in the garage.

I use 0 gallons of gas per week for my normal commute and if we go more than 40mi in one outing on a weekend then it will burn gas around 40ish mpg. Ive put about 20k mi on mine so far and it's averaging around 130mpg for total usage over that time.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

That Works posted:

This.

If it’s a paid option for the car, then just roll an x- year cost into the price of the car. Instead, it’s pay for one option and then subscribe for other options or else.

It could be an accounting thing. Maybe they don’t know how much that data connection will cost them 10 years down the line. The subscription allows them to keep the passthrough costs variable.

Though make no mistake, they’re paying it whether you’re subscribed or not so they can get (and then sell) your location data to advertisers.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wayne Knight posted:

It could be an accounting thing. Maybe they don’t know how much that data connection will cost them 10 years down the line. The subscription allows them to keep the passthrough costs variable.

How long are the subscription plan periods? Even less likely to commit to something like this if they cant guarantee a flat rate.

Easier way would be to allow the user an option to offload data to their own connection but hey if the purpose is actual functionality and not a cash grab they wouldn’t be removing options like carplay

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Elviscat posted:

Bless y'all still using Sirius, you're keeping my mail carrier employed, and ensuring I never run out of paper to start fires with.
:lol:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

QuarkJets posted:

I'm really not sure how Sirius XM is still a thing, their customer base is the intersection of people who are A) not happy with free car radio, B) too old to know how to use their phone for media, and C) able to afford a monthly subscription for car radio. How is this a successful business model? I don't get it.

I know how to use a phone to play music, but I just like having someone else curate music for me. I'm a SiriusXM, Apple Music and Spotify subscriber. :c00l:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've had the trial sirius membership in the new car for a few weeks now.

It's been useful three times. Once on the drive back when I was passing through lots of radio station coverage areas, and twice when there was bad weather so I couldn't tune into my local npr station.

The first time I listened to what is now I suppose "classic" rock and it was as per the label. The second time I tried the classic radio plays channel hoping to get like 30s detective serials and instead I got a bunch of . . .let's just say depictions of enslaved individuals in the antebellum era. Lots of "massah". So that got turned off. Third time i found the npr channel and it was just npr but different.

If I traveled an immense amount I can see the advantage of the reliable connection but I don't.

What I really want now is a way to make the car stop trying to convince me to active apple play or remote wifi Hotspot or whatevertheshit extra they want me to pay for. I should be able to turn off pop-up adverts in my own car.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

TheWevel posted:

I know how to use a phone to play music, but I just like having someone else curate music for me. I'm a SiriusXM, Apple Music and Spotify subscriber. :c00l:

Can you spend some of your redundantly spent money on food for the homeless instead?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Can you spend some of your redundantly spent money on food for the homeless instead?

Nope

edit: spotify is just for me, apple music is for my family, and siriusxm is in both cars because it's a lot easier to just get in the car and use presets than constantly screw around with our phones while driving

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 5, 2023

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

TheWevel posted:

Nope

edit: spotify is just for me, apple music is for my family, and siriusxm is in both cars because it's a lot easier to just get in the car and use presets than constantly screw around with our phones while driving

Well keep the 3 services then, AND buy some poor people some food.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

That Works posted:

Check out a PHEV. I daily drive a 2017 Prius Prime and its a solid car and charges easily in a few hours with a 110v plug charger in the garage.

I use 0 gallons of gas per week for my normal commute and if we go more than 40mi in one outing on a weekend then it will burn gas around 40ish mpg. Ive put about 20k mi on mine so far and it's averaging around 130mpg for total usage over that time.

He’s shopping Ioniq5n and Mach E Rally, not sure there’s much in the PHEV lineup that’s comparable.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
revisiting the app subscription thing - it's true that there's ongoing cost to the LTE data but that's cost the manufacturers have chosen to incur.

they could just as easily fit it with a SIM slot / esim and not run any centralized infrastructure and it'd be wildly cheaper for them to maintain but then they wouldn't get their tasty cut.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

TwoDice posted:

revisiting the app subscription thing - it's true that there's ongoing cost to the LTE data but that's cost the manufacturers have chosen to incur.

No, they haven't, they have chosen to charge you for it, that is what you are upset about.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

No, they haven't, they have chosen to charge you for it, that is what you are upset about.

no, I'm more bothered about the centralization than the fees

remote start does not require a car manufacturer to run a server or to charge me money, and yet they implement it this way

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There are probably some non-trivial security issues and design/manufacturing costs to letting a user gently caress around with the car's SIM. Cars have never been an open ecosystem for hardware or software, so the restrictions seem at least consistent with that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hm it seems like sirius is on my new car, not sure if there is some free plan for the first x months or if it is just a forever free plan with less options. I will probably never use it again.

Also on the PHEV I am noticing the range number is going down when I do a full charge, it started at around 69km (nice) and is now at 55. Is that more just representative of the computer deciding based on my driving that's how far I can go?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

priznat posted:

Hm it seems like sirius is on my new car, not sure if there is some free plan for the first x months or if it is just a forever free plan with less options. I will probably never use it again.

Also on the PHEV I am noticing the range number is going down when I do a full charge, it started at around 69km (nice) and is now at 55. Is that more just representative of the computer deciding based on my driving that's how far I can go?

Almost all new cars come with either a 3 month or a 1 year free Sirius trial.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

priznat posted:

Probably due to falling temperatures depending on where you are.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Probably due to falling temperatures depending on where you are.

That's what I was thinking, been about 5-8C most of the week but warmer today. Next week should be the start of the cold, just in time for the winter tire swap!

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

priznat posted:

Sirius XM does free previews around American holidays. I have never had a subscription in my current car but have been driving around to the 80’s new wave station since the weekend before thanksgiving.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

my Bolt came with free 1 month on sept 30th, and then i called onstar and got coverage till the end of december or so, which included sirius xm

the only thing I am interested in paying for is whatever level of onstar that lets me track the car if it gets stolen, otherwise i do not give a poo poo. Radio is free, or I can stream audiobooks through bluetooth

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

TwoDice posted:

no, I'm more bothered about the centralization than the fees

remote start does not require a car manufacturer to run a server or to charge me money, and yet they implement it this way

A correct take. Why the hell do we need to ping a manufacturer server to remote start the car.

And if the answer is "security" they can piss off; it's not hard to build secure wireless tech that doesn't need the internet. (The answer is money, of course, but they try and sell it as security, or feature updates, or whatever the gently caress).

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

A correct take. Why the hell do we need to ping a manufacturer server to remote start the car.

Having the ability to unlock and start a car from anywhere in the world is pretty nice. You could be on a trip, and get someone to go to the airport where your car is parked to go charge it up if you hosed up and didn’t top it off before hand.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Having the ability to unlock and start a car from anywhere in the world is pretty nice. You could be on a trip, and get someone to go to the airport where your car is parked to go charge it up if you hosed up and didn’t top it off before hand.

the way apple does this where you can text them a time bounded revocable car key is nicer IMO

edit: i know this currently uses a manufacturer server as a key server but it does not inherently have to

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Steakandchips posted:

And if the answer is "security" they can piss off; it's not hard to build secure wireless tech that doesn't need the internet. (The answer is money, of course, but they try and sell it as security, or feature updates, or whatever the gently caress).

If you want to do the remote start through the app, its going to go through the server.

This isn't remote start through the keyfob from close range.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

kill me now posted:

If you want to do the remote start through the app, its going to go through the server.

This isn't remote start through the keyfob from close range.

Why can't you do it through WiFi on a local LAN if your car is connected to your home network in the driveway? :confused:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

FlapYoJacks posted:

Why can't you do it through WiFi on a local LAN if your car is connected to your home network in the driveway? :confused:

And then put a hotspot with a VPN server running on a Raspberry Pi always on in your car, and you're golden. Easy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

TwoDice posted:

the way apple does this where you can text them a time bounded revocable car key is nicer IMO

edit: i know this currently uses a manufacturer server as a key server but it does not inherently have to

you run a private server and have that generate a OTP to unlock the car each time, if the car is not unlocked this way the car does an Inspector Gadget and acme bops the thief in the head with a mallet