Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

poo poo. I ordered the le and I'm getting it shipped from Canada to NZ :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

My partner's LE model didn't have any dead pixels!..but it had a mushy bad QAS button (would only register sometimes and was sticking in a weird way) so he ended up RMAing it and we're hopng no dead pixels on the return trip. My 1TB has no dead pixels either.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Resisting real hard the urge to pull up a test image on my LE, mmmmmm.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

My LE has had zero issues even after tempting fate and running one of those dead pixel checks to see if there was anything I just wasn’t catching normally. Sorry to hear some of y’all are having worse luck.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I don’t have screen issues on my basic OLED but my A (jump) button is starting to stick while playing emulators.

I’m hoping it’ll just kinda loosen up as it breaks in more.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I've picked up existing playthroughs of W40K Space Marine and Batman Arkham City and holy poo poo, this OLED deck absolutely fucks.

Locked 90/60 frames depending on the game's engine, close to maxed out settings. When I get fatigued sitting at my desk with a KBM I can then waddle down on the couch, plop a pillow on my lap and a cat on my legs, and pick up right where I left off. So glad I bought this.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

I don’t have screen issues on my basic OLED but my A (jump) button is starting to stick while playing emulators.

I’m hoping it’ll just kinda loosen up as it breaks in more.

My LE B button is sticking but I feel like it may work itself out so I’m gonna use it for a month or so and then decide if it’s worth an RMA. My wife kept my original steam deck anyway so it’s not like I’d go without one by RMAing it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Anti-Hero posted:

I've picked up existing playthroughs of W40K Space Marine and Batman Arkham City and holy poo poo, this OLED deck absolutely fucks.

Locked 90/60 frames depending on the game's engine, close to maxed out settings. When I get fatigued sitting at my desk with a KBM I can then waddle down on the couch, plop a pillow on my lap and a cat on my legs, and pick up right where I left off. So glad I bought this.

Be careful because you'll soon tell yourself "why would I play a video game at my desk with a KBM when I can play a video game anywhere" then you sell your PC and get frustrated at the low performance of the Deck and buy a different handheld like the Ally, which can run things better than the Deck. Then you stop using the Deck and your PC, and decide to sell both of them to buy an eGPU for your Ally so you can have a dedicated video game machine that's a handheld but also a high-powered gaming PC when you dock it.

Don't be like me, it costs money (kinda).

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I think what's helped me come to terms with the Deck's performance is when I realized how many PS2/PS3/PS4 games that I played were running at only 30 FPS.

Obviously higher is better (and on my desktop I'd never accept below 60) but if I'm hitting 40-45 I'm still doing better than some older games ran on the original hardware.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
You guys had me scared. I just checked my LE OLED and have no apparent display issues. It’s frustrating to hear that they went with BOE screens for their special version.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

Be careful because you'll soon tell yourself "why would I play a video game at my desk with a KBM when I can play a video game anywhere" then you sell your PC and get frustrated at the low performance of the Deck and buy a different handheld like the Ally, which can run things better than the Deck. Then you stop using the Deck and your PC, and decide to sell both of them to buy an eGPU for your Ally so you can have a dedicated video game machine that's a handheld but also a high-powered gaming PC when you dock it.

did they fix the ally's egpu support? it was so flaky in August that I returned mine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TwoDice posted:

did they fix the ally's egpu support? it was so flaky in August that I returned mine.

Russ from RGC swears by it in his most recent video on the Ally.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

jokes posted:

Luckily I also play games that I would never consider using a controller for (Hunt: Showdown) so I can dodge that bullet!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think WinSCP is also ancient but it just works so incredibly well

Most of my coworkers do everything from the command line and use a bunch of Emacs plugins and stuff, while I'm still just using WinSCP for opening files to edit in Visual Studio Code.

In my experience, all the "do everything from the keyboard with hyper-efficient key strokes" stuff some people obsess over isn't actually any more efficient in the end, because you have to account for the countless times you gently caress up and hit the wrong thing or forget what to hit. Some of my coworkers are guys who constantly work like this, and they still frequently lose whatever screen they were looking for when doing screenshares in meetings (because when you're just using a keyboard you don't have much of a choice other than memorizing which tab is which or tabbing through them all). Meanwhile I have "a mouse" and can just directly open my files in WinSCP (or look at the taskbar in my mouse-oriented interface) and see which file is which.

This one guy actually came up with this bizarre tagging system for organizing all his files with these 3-letter codes that aren't even human-understandable and are designed specifically for "minimal keyboard movement." Like he saw traditional tagging systems and his issue was "it takes too much time to type a full word." He talks a lot about how people should switch to it. But like...that's literally just an obsessive compulsion! At best you're saving like 0.1s, and more realistically you're losing time because you keep forgetting the codes! I can actually understand why someone might become obsessed with "tailoring their work environment" like this, but the baffling part to me is when they can't understand that other people don't feel that way. Like it truly doesn't occur to this guy that "organizing all your files using what is essentially a bizarre tagging scheme where the tags are random 3-letter codes" isn't something that would appeal to most people.

jokes posted:

For me this reasoning let to me connecting my PC to my TV. If it's even remotely possible, connecting a PC to a TV seems like the best option if your only desire is "play games on the couch/bed with a controller." I basically never play games on my PC monitor with KB+M aside from online FPSes or MMOs with my friend (where it's easier to use Discord like that).

And if you're in a place with good Wifi, you can stream from an actual PC to the Deck, which is probably the best mobile experience possible (since the Deck now has the best display with the OLED).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

In my experience, all the "do everything from the keyboard with hyper-efficient key strokes" stuff some people obsess over isn't actually any more efficient in the end, because you have to account for the countless times you gently caress up and hit the wrong thing or forget what to hit.
The real benefit of command line interfaces is ease of automation. Like once you figure out how to perform some operation, you can trivially write a loop to do the same thing to a bunch of files, or a script to ease the task in the future.

Conversely the benefit of graphical interfaces is discovery/intuition of how to perform a one-off operation without needing a manual in front of you.

Personally I think I'm faster at typing than I am using a mouse but that's probably an anomaly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Most of my coworkers do everything from the command line and use a bunch of Emacs plugins and stuff, while I'm still just using WinSCP for opening files to edit in Visual Studio Code.

In my experience, all the "do everything from the keyboard with hyper-efficient key strokes" stuff some people obsess over isn't actually any more efficient in the end, because you have to account for the countless times you gently caress up and hit the wrong thing or forget what to hit. Some of my coworkers are guys who constantly work like this, and they still frequently lose whatever screen they were looking for when doing screenshares in meetings (because when you're just using a keyboard you don't have much of a choice other than memorizing which tab is which or tabbing through them all). Meanwhile I have "a mouse" and can just directly open my files in WinSCP (or look at the taskbar in my mouse-oriented interface) and see which file is which.

This one guy actually came up with this bizarre tagging system for organizing all his files with these 3-letter codes that aren't even human-understandable and are designed specifically for "minimal keyboard movement." Like he saw traditional tagging systems and his issue was "it takes too much time to type a full word." He talks a lot about how people should switch to it. But like...that's literally just an obsessive compulsion! At best you're saving like 0.1s, and more realistically you're losing time because you keep forgetting the codes! I can actually understand why someone might become obsessed with "tailoring their work environment" like this, but the baffling part to me is when they can't understand that other people don't feel that way. Like it truly doesn't occur to this guy that "organizing all your files using what is essentially a bizarre tagging scheme where the tags are random 3-letter codes" isn't something that would appeal to most people.

What cursed job do you have that you share with these absolute wieners and what accounts do they post in YOSPOS under?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

like there is no way the guy obsessively tagging his filenames to conform to some terminal tab completion scheme is actually achieving efficiency at anything

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’ll drop the price and see. Selling on Facebook Marketplace is miserable and I’m always torn between pricing something at what I want to take (which would have been $300) and turning down endless lowball offers or pricing high to get a reasonable counter offer off the bat.

Honestly, if you want to sell things quickly and with minimum hassle it makes a lot more sense to just deal with Mercari or eBay's bullshit. I sold my original deck on eBay for just shy of $500, which was more than worth it even accounting for fees given that it sold in exactly five days and required no interaction at all with the buyer. I don't think I could have gotten $400 selling on FB marketplace unless I wanted to hang onto it for months.

Buy it now only with immediate payment required eliminates close to 100% of the scams you'll encounter and almost anything with a reasonable price will end up selling eventually.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I will say that the one negative I'm experiencing with the OLED model so far is that the desktop mode performance is a bit.. odd?

I use my Deck about 50/50 docked/handheld and for all intents and purposes it's also my primary PC. There are definitely some minor quirks with that experience since switching to the OLED. Talking stuff like applications not keeping the same window size, shape or screen position when reloading (Steam always sticks to the top left corner when I open it fresh). The start menu panel opens like half way up the screen instead of from the bottom tray like it should. Had a couple of applications doing some weird flashing/flickering effects on the screen when opening.

Nothing that isn't working or that I'm concerned about spending any time fixing. Just a stack of slightly odd behaviors that weren't there on my LCD model or previous firmware. Game mode continues to run perfect.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

What cursed job do you have that you share with these absolute wieners and what accounts do they post in YOSPOS under?

My job is actually very pleasant (basically a non-academic programmer in academia, where I support this scientific website and its small-ish community of users) - the guy with the bizarre 3-letter tags isn't exactly a coworker and is more "a friend of my semi-supervisor who posts in our work chat." He's a nice guy, but is just oblivious that whatever unique mental condition he has isn't "an objectively correct way of thinking."

The other Emacs guys are actually cool (they're all Kenyans who work remotely with us, though one is actually moving here in a couple months) and better than me at like 95% of things, but the keyboard purist stuff is still pretty silly since I've seen first-hand that it doesn't actually save time. IMO that sort of stuff just comes down solely to personal preference.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The real benefit of command line interfaces is ease of automation. Like once you figure out how to perform some operation, you can trivially write a loop to do the same thing to a bunch of files, or a script to ease the task in the future.

Conversely the benefit of graphical interfaces is discovery/intuition of how to perform a one-off operation without needing a manual in front of you.

Personally I think I'm faster at typing than I am using a mouse but that's probably an anomaly.

Oh, you can do lots of cool stuff from the command line for sure (and I probably use it more overall for work), but it's a situation where you can just use both interfaces and achieve the benefits of both. I generally have both Byobu and WinSCP open and connected to my work server. Command-line-only just gets inconvenient when dealing with a lot of different things, since you seem to just end up with a bunch of screens/channels and text that isn't as easy to visually parse as a more graphical interface.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 6, 2023

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bonus Situation posted:

I will say that the one negative I'm experiencing with the OLED model so far is that the desktop mode performance is a bit.. odd?

I use my Deck about 50/50 docked/handheld and for all intents and purposes it's also my primary PC. There are definitely some minor quirks with that experience since switching to the OLED. Talking stuff like applications not keeping the same window size, shape or screen position when reloading (Steam always sticks to the top left corner when I open it fresh). The start menu panel opens like half way up the screen instead of from the bottom tray like it should. Had a couple of applications doing some weird flashing/flickering effects on the screen when opening.

Nothing that isn't working or that I'm concerned about spending any time fixing. Just a stack of slightly odd behaviors that weren't there on my LCD model or previous firmware. Game mode continues to run perfect.

SteamOS took in some major updates to the underlying Arch Linux install in version 3.5, which is what shipped with the OLED. The desktop was upgraded as part of this. You're running into changes and bugs from that update. It's worth reporting the bugs you see on the SteamOS GitHub.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What's the difference between Chiaki and Chiaki4deck?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Bonus Situation posted:

Installing Cryo on the OLED has the window suuuuuuper tiny with no ability to resize. Definitely something has changed.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Heran Bago posted:

What's the difference between Chiaki and Chiaki4deck?

4deck is just a fork with some specific optimizations/enhancements for the Deck.

https://streetpea.github.io/chiaki4deck/updates/done/

Sounds like the goal is to merge them back in to the main chiaki branch whenever possible, so a lot of this may be in both now.

Fuzz posted:

Installing Cryo on the OLED has the window suuuuuuper tiny with no ability to resize. Definitely something has changed.

I didn’t have this problem installing it when my OLED arrived but I think I was a few days ahead of you if I remember from discord, so it’s possible something changed in that time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

My job is actually very pleasant (basically a non-academic programmer in academia, where I support this scientific website and its small-ish community of users) - the guy with the bizarre 3-letter tags isn't exactly a coworker and is more "a friend of my semi-supervisor who posts in our work chat." He's a nice guy, but is just oblivious that whatever unique mental condition he has isn't "an objectively correct way of thinking."

Ok that actually makes a ton of sense as an environment where you’d encounter people with intense idiosyncratic behavior around computers

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Best Steam Deck game continues its reign

https://x.com/poncle_vampire/status/1732450881767920105?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s like 5 bucks, I’m buying vampire survivors, hope it’s good otherwise you guys owe me 5 big ones.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Spent the afternoon setting up in-home steaming and Switch emulation, then realized that I'd rather play most all of those games on a big screen. The ones I want mobile and old emulators are already set up.

TotK runs well. The default emulator setting or the optimizer configures Yuzu to run it at 0.75X resolution or 540p/810p with FSR at 88%. This hits 60FPS 100% of the time but it doesn't look great. I switched to native res and doubled the provided RAM to 8GB. Just short of a consistent 60 FPS in heavy areas. OLED Deck might be able to hold 60. Setting up Gyro took way longer than needed because I didn't read directions.
Shader stutter is still a thing but not nearly as bad as it used to be. A few seconds in a new area and it's smooth.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Rolo posted:

It’s like 5 bucks, I’m buying vampire survivors, hope it’s good otherwise you guys owe me 5 big ones.

Agreed. And if you like it you can donate $10 to a charity of your choice.

Your move, holy man.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh poo poo it’s an arcade rogue lite. I crack out bad on these.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've found that most people hit a wall with VS at a certain point, different for each person. But up until you hit that wall it's a drat good time.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I just killed a praying mantis and got a chest that gave me 5 items and 800 gold, holy cow.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Rolo posted:

I just killed a praying mantis and got a chest that gave me 5 items and 800 gold, holy cow.
The creator worked in Gaming (Re: Gambling Machines) and used the high you get from hitting that makes you want to keep playing that and mobile games for a game that's super cheap and doesn't have microtransactions trying to bleed you dry. The DLC they've had remains cheap and lots of new features. It's a great game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nothing gives a primal rush of brain good feel than the start of the music that goes with a 5-item chest.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

njsykora posted:

Nothing gives a primal rush of brain good feel than the start of the music that goes with a 5-item chest.

Yup. VS is the best money I've spent in a long time.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Vampire Survivors is totally cracked. A path of exile meme build simulator.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Poncle please, I have a family

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

njsykora posted:

Making this the boot-up video is the best upgrade you can do for your Deck

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Making this the boot-up video is the best upgrade you can do for your Deck

Honestly the release of this video made me turn off shuffle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The hell, Sandrock just switched to "Unsupported" for some reason. Been playing it for weeks without problems, so that's weird. I normally use the filter that removes them from view, so that's annoying!