Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Platystemon posted:

😡

Even the mods are denigrating our rooms full of PhDs!

Learning nothing from previous probations means it needs to be ramped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
ban+30 doesn't believe the science

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Baddog posted:

The new government test kits are the intelliswab "gentle shallow" ones, lol.

I got Binax ones.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
and they just sent me iHealths

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
hidrb.com just didn't even ask for a positive test photo, that's new. still asked for a govt ID photo and matched it up with webcam. also confirmed they do not know/care whether you used one of the other pax services in the last 90 days.

edit: above is wrong, see below

maxwellhill has issued a correction as of 07:06 on Dec 5, 2023

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

maxwellhill posted:

and they just sent me iHealths

iHealths have switched instructions to actually go low and slow, right?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

gradenko_2000 posted:

[Bongbong getting COVID tweet]

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

maxwellhill posted:

hidrb.com just didn't even ask for a positive test photo, that's new. still asked for a govt ID photo and matched it up with webcam. also confirmed they do not know/care whether you used one of the other pax services in the last 90 days.

scratch this, they denied it later at the e-mail phase, "based on the answers in my health assessment".

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've been home from the hospital for 24 hours and walked for the first time in 2.5 weeks for 20 mins. Felt like a marathon in high heat. Take care of your heart, kiddos. This poo poo sucks.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I've been home from the hospital for 24 hours and walked for the first time in 2.5 weeks for 20 mins. Felt like a marathon in high heat. Take care of your heart, kiddos. This poo poo sucks.

Glad to hear you're upright and (slightly) mobile :).

Grummbo
Sep 10, 2004

Your son is a doctor? Oh.. Ours is Pope.
The Extinction Rebellion people are throwing a week of disruption events in Melbourne and out of lack of better alternatives I checked out some of the intro sessions. Pandemics are part of climate change right?

One dicknose surgical, a couple intermittent KN95s, and a whole lot of white people chanting and deep breathing in circles. Got the usual passive crap, two feigned they couldn't hear me. One said they couldn't recognise me with a mask on. They skipped over the slide on COVID Marshalls. Oh and one of the organisers couldn't make it because they have COVID.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I missed the initial wave of support but +1 happy to help if you need anything on the ground. Glad to hear you're home.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

hmm

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Grummbo posted:

The Extinction Rebellion people are throwing a week of disruption events in Melbourne and out of lack of better alternatives I checked out some of the intro sessions. Pandemics are part of climate change right?

One dicknose surgical, a couple intermittent KN95s, and a whole lot of white people chanting and deep breathing in circles. Got the usual passive crap, two feigned they couldn't hear me. One said they couldn't recognise me with a mask on. They skipped over the slide on COVID Marshalls. Oh and one of the organisers couldn't make it because they have COVID.

people will make fun, but since you're out of the loop, extinction rebellion is a CIA front and financed by the petro industry for narrative capture. you accidentally went to a cop rally

Grummbo
Sep 10, 2004

Your son is a doctor? Oh.. Ours is Pope.

maxwellhill posted:

people will make fun, but since you're out of the loop, extinction rebellion is a CIA front and financed by the petro industry for narrative capture. you accidentally went to a cop rally

Make fun, but I did kinda know and I went intentionally :( There's just so few options for wearing a mask and not having people give you poo poo. It's that or a goon meet

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
if that's the other option then you definitely made the right choice

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/inquirerdotnet/status/1731879155480854707?t=4Mq0VaGkm0NcIfCj1nhAUQ&s=19

Lol the wave is definitely tearing through the government.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

maxwellhill posted:

scratch this, they denied it later at the e-mail phase, "based on the answers in my health assessment".

I tried with a few different pictures of positive tests, none worked

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/atlanta_press/status/1731833422719467948

This would be worrisome if not for the fact they're proposing this just right at when we're seeing a humongous surge in Covid.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Grummbo posted:

Make fun, but I did kinda know and I went intentionally :( There's just so few options for wearing a mask and not having people give you poo poo. It's that or a goon meet

Ceasefire protests have the most masks anywhere.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

https://twitter.com/atlanta_press/status/1731833422719467948

This would be worrisome if not for the fact they're proposing this just right at when we're seeing a humongous surge in Covid.

welp, beaten to this.

it's disgusting.

tbh, thought it would've started happen sooner given the prevalence of masks at pro-palestinian protests.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Strep Vote posted:

Ceasefire protests have the most masks anywhere.

good new av

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
An unfair read of Mandy Cohen, to highlight the pattern:

https://people.com/cdc-tips-to-stay-healthy-this-holiday-season-rsv-flu-covid-8410493 posted:

How to Stay Healthy This Holiday Season, According to the CDC
Mask up if you're visiting the elderly or immunocompromised but it's more important to get vaccinated, wash your hands and stay home if you're sick

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates up to 3.6 million people have already caught the flu this year. And it's not the only virus circulating; cases of RSV a respiratory illness that can cause severe complications for infants and the elderly are rising, while Covid still poses a threat to many.

How to handle the holiday season of gatherings, visits and parties?

We absolutely should gather with our loved ones and sit with our grandkids on our lap.
(..)
How can you avoid picking up germs on an airplane?

Think ahead and do vaccines.
(..)
Whats the biggest mistake people make when it comes to staying healthy?

Not staying home when you're sick.
(..)
How important is masking this holiday season?
(..)
Masks can protect you against the circulating viruses if you want to wear well-fitting masks. [ed. bolding mine]
(..)
Apart from vaccination, what else should people do to stay healthy?

If you're on the move and you're traveling and you're in places where there's a lot of folks, [its] always good to [use] hand sanitizer that helps you with not just things like Covid
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
lol, yeah I don't think so.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/12/04/covid-handouts-people-less-willing-work-central-bankers/ posted:

Covid handouts have made people less willing to work, central bankers warn
Pandemic spending spree has done lasting damage to UKs workforce and economy

Covid handouts have made people less willing to work, a group of the worlds most senior central bankers has warned.

The Bank of International Settlements (BIS) said workers preferences have shifted in favour of fewer working hours since the pandemic.

An unwillingness to work longer hours has been most pronounced in countries that gave citizens the biggest handouts during the pandemic, it said.

The BIS called out the UK specifically, where the Government spent tens of billions supporting furloughed workers during Covid, as well as the US and Canada.

While most countries workforces have recovered to the levels they were at prior to the pandemic, all three developed nations are notable exceptions.

The BIS linked this trend to generous state handouts during Covid, with its economists writing: In addition to being held back by health concerns, [workforce] participation has been recovering more slowly where pandemic-related fiscal support was larger.

[ed. I have literally no idea what the graph is supposed to prove]
(..)
By June this year, there were still 191,000 fewer people in work compared to prior to the pandemic, according to the latest available figures from the Office for National Statistics.

More recent numbers show the employment rate remains 0.9 percentage points below its pre-pandemic level, at 75.7pc. Roughly 76 in every 100 people are in work, compared to 77 prior to the pandemic.

Those who do have a job are working less than they did before Covid. The average full-time worker did a 36.4-hour week between May and July [ed. literally 2/3 summer] this year, the most recent figure official data is available for, compared to 36.9 hours in the final three months [ed. which would include Christmas shopping] before the pandemic struck.

The BIS warned that a lack of willingness to work hard risked fuelling inflation as companies are being forced to pay higher wages to attract employees and keep their businesses fully staffed.
(..)
Surveys suggest that people want to work fewer hours than previously, according to the BIS. Employees are also taking more sick leave, it noted.

There has also been a notable rise in early retirement since the pandemic. Mr Shin said: Those people really have not come back as much as we may have expected.
(..)
The labour market is also being held back by more employees phoning in sick, with absences for ill-health rising to the highest level since 2004 last year.
(..)

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

lmao show me a worker that ever wanted to work more hours

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Austria represent

Baddog
May 12, 2001

quote:

[its] always good to [use] hand sanitizer that helps you with not just things like Covid

Had to get some blood work done yesterday, and the place was just chock full of people coughing and hacking. Including the unmasked phlebotomists of course. Big ol sign taped to the desk, "we have hand sanitizer please just ask". OK, yes, every surface in here is coated with spit right now, but the air is 10000x worse. And we're all just gonna ignore this poo poo because hand sanitizer is the only thing that hasn't been politicized. It's ok to get a big ol' pump of sanitizer, that doesn't mean you're "afraid". Just ignorant.

People not even bothering to try to cover their mouths like you learn to do in kindergarten. Very few people getting blood drawn are the picture of health, but we're all just saying "gently caress you" and spitting in each others faces, lol. Little old grandma comes in with her walker, gets signed in, goes around the corner and fishes out a lovely little yellow surgical. Bless your heart honey, such an abject failure of public health. When they say "masks don't work", the yellow surgical that has been wadded up in your walker for a month, that's what they are talking about.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
If I can get in to the lab at like 6:00am for blood draws, I usually don't feel too bad in a half mask. Usually there's only 1 or 2 other patients there that early and not much staff yet.

If I have to go to the lab during the day or afternoon, that's one place I absolutely won't compromise on, it's a full face P100 every time. What a loving cesspit. I'm honestly shocked I haven't gotten sepsis from there, and I go to the 'good' medlabs in town.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Rescue Toaster posted:

If I can get in to the lab at like 6:00am for blood draws, I usually don't feel too bad in a half mask. Usually there's only 1 or 2 other patients there that early and not much staff yet.

Yep I should have ran, and tried a different time or location. But I really wanted these results ASAP. Dumb. Hope my seal was good!

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Moth Juice approved in Canada:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10149249/novavax-updated-covid-vaccine-health-canada-approval/?utm_source=site_banner

Nuvaxovid XBB.1.5 has been authorized for people ages 12 and older and is designed to protect against Omicron XBB.1.5 subvariants. It may be given to people who have been previously vaccinated or who have not previously had a shot, Health Canada said.

The updated vaccine stands apart from other COVID-19 shots, as its protein-based and does not use mRNA technology. These vaccines contain a modified version of the spike protein itself, unlike mRNA vaccines that have molecular manufacturing instructions for the body to make the spike protein.

Only one dose of the updated vaccine is needed for those Canadians who have already had their primary series, according to Health Canada. However, if you have previously not been vaccinated, you will need two doses of the primary series.

:canada:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Early on, I remember reading that the vaccines had zero ability to reverse-transcribe, as a safety measure, and therefore the spike protein itself, similar.

Then this study came out which appeared to cast doubt on that: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35723296/

quote:

We detected high levels of BNT162b2 in Huh7 cells and changes in gene expression of long interspersed nuclear element-1 (LINE-1), which is an endogenous reverse transcriptase.
. Furthermore, no data on placental transfer of BNT162b2 is available from Pfizer EMA assessment report. Our results showed that BNT162b2 mRNA readily enters Huh7 cells at a concentration (0.5 g/mL) corresponding to 0.5% of the local injection site concentration, induce changes in LINE-1 gene and protein expression, and within 6 h, reverse transcription of BNT162b2 can be detected. It is therefore important to investigate further the effect of BNT162b2 on other cell types and tissues both in vitro and in vivo.

This was published out of sweden in Current Issues in Molecular Biology, which has a scimagojr h-index of 57 (this is not good, but, also, a lack of citations and a lack of follow up work go hand in hand).

Is anyone aware of any follow up work, or studies that would discredit this?

e: I am not an alarmist lol I want my moth slut juice, I am just interested in this work

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Dec 5, 2023

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Kragger99 posted:

If I go mask-less, I'll be using my air purifiers in the common rooms, and our bed room at night. Also Iota Carrageenan nasal spray (who know if it works, but worth a try), frozen beet chunks, vit D, and maybe mouthwash. The last one will be new for me, but not an issue - I assume I just gargle with it? And need to make sure it contains CPC?
Gargle for 30 seconds at least 3 time per day. (30 seconds of gargling is longer than it feels. Use a timer at least the first time.) There's research showing that mouthwashes based on CPC and essential oils (e.g., Listerine) have similar antiviral properties. PVP-I mouthrinses are probably the best option of all, but they're expensive and tougher to find in stores. I wouldn't stress out about getting CPC over Listerine.

But there have been some studies suggesting that mouthwashes baste on hydrogen peroxide (HPO), polihexanide, chlorhexidine digluconate (CHG), or octenidine are NOT effective for this, so definitely avoid those.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

quote:

Those who do have a job are working less than they did before Covid. The average full-time worker did a 36.4-hour week between May and July [ed. literally 2/3 summer] this year, the most recent figure official data is available for, compared to 36.9 hours in the final three months [ed. which would include Christmas shopping] before the pandemic struck.

Life expectancy drops multiple years: Nothing to see here. Move along.

Average workweek drops by thirty minutes under the most coked statistic possible: This is basically the sack of Rome.

Anyway, may proposal is that we cut what works out to about a dozen hours from the work week, such that over the decades of remaining adult life, it adds up to the lost three years or so.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 22:10 on Dec 5, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Early on, I remember reading that the vaccines had zero ability to reverse-transcribe, as a safety measure, and therefore the spike protein itself, similar.

Then this study came out which appeared to cast doubt on that: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35723296/

This was published out of sweden in Current Issues in Molecular Biology, which has a scimagojr h-index of 57 (this is not good, but, also, a lack of citations and a lack of follow up work go hand in hand).

e: I am not an alarmist lol I want my moth slut juice, I am just interested in this work

lol uh oh

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
broke out one of my newer government provided RATs and its shockingly a low and slow. Brand is celltrion diatrust. blue and white box.

as reminder for anyone who hasn't: https://special.usps.com/testkits allows for 4 free tests.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9164063/

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

More layman friendly version: https://www.chop.edu/news/feature-article-no-study-does-not-prove-what-you-think-it-does-part3

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lol @ publishing their last takedown in 2022 though

quote:

Yes, this study showed viral shedding. No, that doesnt mean vaccinated people are as contagious as unvaccinated people.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

That specific study was so widely mentioned in conspiracy circles, the authors did a Q&A on it. Which can be found here:
https://www.lunduniversity.lu.se/article/qa-covid-19-vaccine-study-gains-attention

That doesn't go over it, but I think it should really be emphasized that HuH-7 isn't some random cell line, but is rather specific:

https://huh7.com/ posted:

(..)
General Information
The HuH-7 cell line was established in 1982 from a well differentiated hepatocyte derived cellular carcinoma cell line that was originally taken from a liver tumor in a 57-year-old Japanese male. The line was established by Nakabayshi, H. and Sato, J. Huh-7 is highly susceptible to the hepatitis C virus (HCV), and it is often used as a model to investigate hepatoma and HCV. This cell line can be used for an HCV replicon system, which allows for an in vitro production of infectious HCV particles and development of drugs that combat HCV.

Huh-7 Characteristics
Huh-7 is an immortal cell line composed of epithelial-like, tumorigenic cells. The majority of Huh-7 cells show a chromosome number between 55 and 63 (mode 60) and are highly heterogeneous. These cells are adherent to the surface of flasks or plates and typically grow as 2D monolayers. Although containing many mutations and INDELS, it is worthy to note the Huh7 cells have a point mutation in the p53
(..)]

Basically it is one of those studies where you test an extreme to demonstrate that something can technically happen. But that means the circumstances are pretty far from normal.

E;fb :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Pingui posted:

That specific study was so widely mentioned in conspiracy circles, the authors did a Q&A on it. Which can be found here:
https://www.lunduniversity.lu.se/article/qa-covid-19-vaccine-study-gains-attention

That doesn't go over it, but I think it should really be emphasized that HuH-7 isn't some random cell line, but is rather specific:

Basically it is one of those studies where you test an extreme to demonstrate that something can technically happen. But that means the circumstances are pretty far from normal.

E;fb :(

Thanks for these, I've been reading this thread for over a year and while I have picked up a little from reading the studies posted here, most of it is way too technical for me to understand. (but keep posting them! The bits I can digest are interesting!)