Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
It’s been a while since I saw someone posting about rules they could just get rid of or change. The ghosting Gygax has lost its potency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Also, if you're into pirate stuff (as I am, and you seem to be), there's an expansion for Ironsworn: Starforged that's being developed for that style called Sundered Isles.

Speaking of Sundered Isles, I just spent the last couple of day's free time drawing* a reference for my game of it (I have the playtest materials thanks to being a SF Backer) and thanks to all that work I feel a need to show it off somewhere.

* Sketching over a collection of plans and draughts for a handful of 1720 and 1746 Establishment 20-gun Sixth Rate Frigates, mostly HMS Blandford.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 9, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

picked up two boxes of Sorcery TCG beta boosters and the precons.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

moths posted:

Thanks, I'll definitely bring that up to our GM.

I feel like he's running a scripted adventure; Every session has been just a goddamn loop of picking one of the four cards and rolling dice around the table until a score goes to zero.

Absolutely dreadful.

I've never played Mouse Guard but I have played Burning Wheel and Torchbearer, and I've never had a session go like that. The majority of obstacles should just be resolved in a single roll

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I got a Lorcana promo card at PAX Unplugged that has only known the touch of human hands long enough for me to put it into a sleeve and I figure I might as well get it graded, see if I can get a 10. Who should I be sending it in to? I know most graders are scams that give out meaningless high grades, so not them, but that is the extent of my knowledge.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

CapnAndy posted:

I got a Lorcana promo card at PAX Unplugged that has only known the touch of human hands long enough for me to put it into a sleeve and I figure I might as well get it graded, see if I can get a 10. Who should I be sending it in to? I know most graders are scams that give out meaningless high grades, so not them, but that is the extent of my knowledge.

You should probably check the card out on tcgplayer before going through the effort of getting it graded. Lorcana is very popular and promos tend to be expensive, but the card might not be worth that much.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

King of Solomon posted:

You should probably check the card out on tcgplayer before going through the effort of getting it graded. Lorcana is very popular and promos tend to be expensive, but the card might not be worth that much.
It says market price $27.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

It says market price $27.

That's not anywhere near expensive enough to be worth getting graded imo. If it shoots up in the future then go for it but you'd just be setting money on fire for nothing if you did it now.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah grading is for stuff worth multiple hundred at the low end and honestly I'm not sure I'd bother below $1000 once you factor in the cost of getting it done

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Is it that expensive? I mostly wanted a cool collectible and to see how high I could make the number go up.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
It cost me $68 to get 2 cards graded with CGC a couple years ago.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
On the topic of Lorcana;

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

drrockso20 posted:

On the topic of Lorcana;

Hey now, no doxxing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Aniodia posted:

Hey now, no doxxing.

Trad Games Chat: They may be useless, but they came with the website

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

BlackIronHeart posted:

It cost me $68 to get 2 cards graded with CGC a couple years ago.
I dunno, $34 to get a cool little sealed card with a number on it doesn’t seem unreasonable.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's more than the card is worth though. You'd be throwing money away.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Kwyndig posted:

It's more than the card is worth though. You'd be throwing money away.
spending money on something that you like. sure, it's a waste, but it's a cute display piece.

I mean I'd just play with the card myself, make excuses to use it even if it's not optimal, treat it to some game time rather than hoarding it and then hoard it as a playworn memento

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Oh okay. Yeah if you just want the novelty of having a 10 grade collectible, then go for it. It's a bad value proposition, but that's different from doing it for fun.

My understanding that actual 10s are hard even if you have handled the card perfectly just due to minor bumps/scratches from the production/packing/shipping process, but who knows what you'll get?

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
Celira Darkflame, the Evil Sorceress BBEG I had art commissioned for.
I'm going through fleshing her character out some more.

Any personality quirks you guys think are a must have for her?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

trapstar posted:

Has a pet lizard. Not like a cool magical lizard familiar, just a mundane crested gecko. It has a really extra name like Baron Gargoylius and she talks to it on a fairly regular basis about how much her parents suck.

Talks in an Audrey Hepburn style affected mid-Atlantic accent, that gets dropped when sufficiently shocked or enraged

Likes to sit with a nice glass of wine while watching her enemies get slowly tortured to death. WHITE wine, she doesn't wanna come off as a vampire by accident.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

Has a pet lizard. Not like a cool magical lizard familiar, just a mundane crested gecko. It has a really extra name like Baron Gargoylius and she talks to it on a fairly regular basis about how much her parents suck.

Talks in an Audrey Hepburn style affected mid-Atlantic accent, that gets dropped when sufficiently shocked or enraged

Likes to sit with a nice glass of wine while watching her enemies get slowly tortured to death. WHITE wine, she doesn't wanna come off as a vampire by accident.

Haha! I love these!!! I would never have thought of stuff like this on my own, another reason brainstorming with others is a good idea in creative endeavors!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

trapstar posted:

Haha! I love these!!! I would never have thought of stuff like this on my own, another reason brainstorming with others is a good idea in creative endeavors!

:tipshat:

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
gets too angry and passionate to make a good one-liner or threat so she makes her loyal henchmen do it and gets real excited when they come up up with a good one

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Hates having to dress like that and only does it because she knows that it gives the heroes/other villains a certain impression, so if things do go south, she can actually disappear and plot again.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Hates having to dress like that and only does it because she knows that it gives the heroes/other villains a certain impression, so if things do go south, she can actually disappear and plot again.

It's basically the "evil sorceress" uniform, it's like fantasy villain dress code. There are days she really wishes she had gone into Druidcraft, those hippies can dress however they want.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Ominous Jazz posted:

gets too angry and passionate to make a good one-liner or threat so she makes her loyal henchmen do it and gets real excited when they come up up with a good one

Haha that's cute!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That's some tactical thinkin eh?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

she's ruined five or six of those slinky dresses by catching the tails on fire from all those floor candles strewn around, but the floor candles are obviously necessary for sorcery purposes so she's been experimenting with flame-resistant silks. There's a collection of insects in the basement, but they're not the big dangerous scary kind, they're silkworms she's trying to ensorscle to produce asbestos silk.

The truth is if she can get that working at scale, she'll have it made. There's got to be a market for flameproof silk, right? Think of the profits!

In the meantime, a certain amount of dark sorcery and alluring over-testosteroned adventurers to their doom is the main gig. Just to tide her over.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

she's ruined five or six of those slinky dresses by catching the tails on fire from all those floor candles strewn around, but the floor candles are obviously necessary for sorcery purposes so she's been experimenting with flame-resistant silks. There's a collection of insects in the basement, but they're not the big dangerous scary kind, they're silkworms she's trying to ensorscle to produce asbestos silk.

The truth is if she can get that working at scale, she'll have it made. There's got to be a market for flameproof silk, right? Think of the profits!

In the meantime, a certain amount of dark sorcery and alluring over-testosteroned adventurers to their doom is the main gig. Just to tide her over.

Haha. The comments about the slinky dress catching fire kind of reminds of the whole "viking helmets with horns" aesthetics that is depicted a lot in popular media. Would theoretically be super impractical in real life, but is part of the stereotypical depiction of what a viking (or evil sorceress) would wear in pop culture.

Also something to be said about bikini armor in like early 80s and 90s fantasy art as well lol.

trapstar fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 7, 2023

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Asterite34 posted:

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'd build on this, she really hates being mistaken for a vampire and continually reminds people that she isn't one.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

I'd build on this, she really hates being mistaken for a vampire and continually reminds people that she isn't one.

*scoffs*
"I'm not going to suck your blood sweetie, If that's what you're thinking...."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

trapstar posted:

Haha. The comments about the slinky dress catching fire kind of reminds of the whole "viking helmets with horns" aesthetics that is depicted a lot in popular media. Would theoretically be super impractical in real life, but is part of the stereotypical depiction of what a viking (or evil sorceress) would wear in pop culture.

Also something to be said about bikini armor in like early 80s and 90s fantasy art as well lol.

yeah there's no evidence vikings ever put horns on their helmets, the idea originates with some creative adornments on costumes in opera about vikings

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Has unusually well-drilled minions (if not necessarily powerful ones) because due to a mixture of boredom and taste, she attempts to train them in musical theater and choreographic routines. For bonus, have a Palico or whatever to be the Gumby-cat.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Nessus posted:

Has unusually well-drilled minions (if not necessarily powerful ones) because due to a mixture of boredom and taste, she attempts to train them in musical theater and choreographic routines. For bonus, have a Palico or whatever to be the Gumby-cat.

Lol, she's on her path to becoming a Disney villain now!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

trapstar posted:

Lol, she's on her path to becoming a Disney villain now!
Yeah I'm getting vibes of the evil witch from Rhapsody from that design.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

trapstar posted:

1) legitimate patron of the arts
2) enraptured by bad acting but recognizes that it's gotta go
3) This culminates in her saying weirdo cringe fantasy stuff in her dramatic speeches that she picked up from watching middling plays without realizing it's weird and cringe

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

NachtSieger posted:

1) legitimate patron of the arts
2) enraptured by bad acting but recognizes that it's gotta go
3) This culminates in her saying weirdo cringe fantasy stuff in her dramatic speeches that she picked up from watching middling plays without realizing it's weird and cringe

Ok that makes her seem endearing AF lol.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I think we accidentally gave her nothing but endearing fuckup qualities, you should probably make her really, idk, racist against halflings or something else so she isn't TOO likeable

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

trapstar posted:

Haha that's cute!

That's some tactical thinkin eh?

Yes, she wants all her rivals to think that she's incredibly shallow and not a master planner. This outfit is all a costume to get any opponent to underestimate her.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

I think we accidentally gave her nothing but endearing fuckup qualities, you should probably make her really, idk, racist against halflings or something else so she isn't TOO likeable

oh she's absolutely a human supremacist

all the dramatic plays she likes to quote from are about the inevitable superiority of humans from, specifically, her own homeland in particular, and begrudgingly, most other humans too

think like some wannabe-shakespere but actually more like hp lovecraft paranoid playwright writing stories about the inevitable tragedies that befall those who sully the human line by consorting too closely with the monstrous races, including orcs, goblins, dwarves, and especially half-elves.

Also, she thinks pineapple is good on pizza. And she never calls her mother. And she's tone deaf but insists on singing half-forgotten arias from her favorite racist plays to her minions, who are not allowed to leave during her performances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ah, she's a Facebook Aunt.