Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Disposable Scud posted:

This was a revelation to my entire friend group when we saw the film. We later found out there is a subway near Universal Studios.

I live by that subway and take that train to Hollywood or downtown. It rocks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Music doesn't have rights

Music has the right to children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJj24t6nOn4

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Hoo boy that album is tethered to a hell of a time in my life, gonna stop what I was doing and listen to the whole thing now thanks

edit: did mushrooms for the first time by myself to this and Geogaddi and that was certainly a plan

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 6, 2023

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm seeing a disappointing amount of Game of the Year posts going up before Dusk HD and Against the Storm launch...

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Squiggle posted:

Hoo boy that album is tethered to a hell of a time in my life, gonna stop what I was doing and listen to the whole thing now thanks

edit: did mushrooms for the first time by myself to this and Geogaddi and that was certainly a plan

Yeah first time I heard it I was on acid at my friend's house and the third track made me feel like I was being contacted by aliens.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I hope all the new Godzillas will be good

Crossin' my fingers that Godzilla x Kong will end with a touching wedding scene between two kaiju

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

minus one what

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

theyre going to gently caress.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

They already did. I saw that baby monk in the trailer.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

theyre going to gently caress.

that's not minus, that's multiplying

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Hwurmp posted:

minus one what

not much, minus one what with you?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

Got tickets for Godzilla Minus One on Friday. Hyped!!!

i just saw it

its really good

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Hwurmp posted:

cities, more like shitties

lol nice

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Baldur’s gate 1 & 2 are currently #28 on the Nintendo eshop best sellers list, above Totk. Lots of grandmas buying the wrong game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

Baldur’s gate 1 & 2 are currently #28 on the Nintendo eshop best sellers list, above Totk. Lots of grandmas buying the wrong game

I've played none of them but doesn't sound like it

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Seems like TotK's sales were probably heavily front-loaded whereas interest in the previous Baldur's Gate entries (and the franchise in general) is sitting a respectable baseline while BG3 remains relevant.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hwurmp posted:

minus one what

Godzila

mystes
May 31, 2006

ToTK is also sold both electronically and as a cartridge, right? I assume BG1/2 are just sold on the eShop so they have an advantage in that sense.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sorry my post wasn’t meant as an indictment of totk, I just think it’s funny to imagine young switch gamers buying bg1 having heard “bg3 is good” and encountering the backwards d&d rules of the 90s for the first time

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Sorry my post wasn’t meant as an indictment of totk, I just think it’s funny to imagine young switch gamers buying bg1 having heard “bg3 is good” and encountering the backwards d&d rules of the 90s for the first time

This was me on Steam with the Enhanced Edition.

One day I'll go through it on story mode...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

this gamer's managed to finish his very first 3D model + animated walk cycle

blender's automatic weights are making this so much goddamn easier than i thought it would be. i assumed parenting clothing would be a nightmare but there's only a lil bit of manual painting needed and the rest is gravy

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Twitch is leaving Korea because of what sounds like an insane internet law. If I understand correctly, web companies need to compensate ISPs based on their traffic, so things like Twitch and Netflix get massive fees.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Rinkles posted:

Twitch is leaving Korea because of what sounds like an insane internet law. If I understand correctly, web companies need to compensate ISPs based on their traffic, so things like Twitch and Netflix get massive fees.
Exactly what I heard and I'm super curious how they deal with VPNs.

The fact Twitch straight up said they were going to help their biggest streamers/communities move to other services that aren't Twitch really got my eyes wide.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

DaveKap posted:

The fact Twitch straight up said they were going to help their biggest streamers/communities move to other services that aren't Twitch really got my eyes wide.

Another legal requirement? If you can't offer the service you have to assist with off-boarding?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I don't think the youths will enjoy bg1 & 2 much. Frankly, they're were too complex for me at the time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I never actually finished BG2, got about halfway through and teenage me was like hmm I could play this deep immersive story OR I could kill Pindleskin 10,000 times for epic loot. The choice was clear.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ok so look at at your character's thac0 (to hit armor class 0), subtract your target's AC (armor class), and that's the number you need to roll on a 20-sided die to successfully hit your target.
e.g. you have 17 thac0, your target has AC 6... 17-6=11, you need to roll 11 or higher.

Of course if a spell effect says "+2 thac0 bonus" it means you lower your thac0 by 2 (sometimes it's worded as "-2 thac0 bonus"). Lower is better, same for your AC
Likewise for your saving throws. Typically your stats won't affect your saving throws, UNLESS you're a dwarf, gnome or halfling, in which case your constitution will give bonuses (i.e. lower numbers) to certain saving throws. The saving throws are: death, wand, spell, polymorph, breath. idk why a fireball cast from a magic wand (vs. wand saving throw) is treated as different from a fireball cast by a mage (vs. spell saving throw).

Now, obviously humans, unlike the other player races, can't start as a multiclass. They have what's called dual classing, where their first class is frozen and they pick up a second class that starts at level 1. Until the new class' level exceeds the level of the character's previous class, the latter is "inactive", and basically doesn't exist, save for the hit points gained. To dual class, you need to have enough of your first class' main stat and your

k out of juice

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
This just reminds me that we never got a good kinda SRPG that uses the 4e stuff which seems like it was tailor-made for an SRPG with a computer keeping track of all the marks and other poo poo

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Ok so look at at your character's thac0 (to hit armor class 0), subtract your target's AC (armor class), and that's the number you need to roll on a 20-sided die to successfully hit your target.
e.g. you have 17 thac0, your target has AC 6... 17-6=11, you need to roll 11 or higher.

Of course if a spell effect says "+2 thac0 bonus" it means you lower your thac0 by 2 (sometimes it's worded as "-2 thac0 bonus"). Lower is better, same for your AC
Likewise for your saving throws. Typically your stats won't affect your saving throws, UNLESS you're a dwarf, gnome or halfling, in which case your constitution will give bonuses (i.e. lower numbers) to certain saving throws. The saving throws are: death, wand, spell, polymorph, breath. idk why a fireball cast from a magic wand (vs. wand saving throw) is treated as different from a fireball cast by a mage (vs. spell saving throw).

Now, obviously humans, unlike the other player races, can't start as a multiclass. They have what's called dual classing, where their first class is frozen and they pick up a second class that starts at level 1. Until the new class' level exceeds the level of the character's previous class, the latter is "inactive", and basically doesn't exist, save for the hit points gained. To dual class, you need to have enough of your first class' main stat and your

k out of juice

Got it! Time to boot up BG1 again now.

*Runs into a wolf. Every attack misses. Team wipe.*

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Monkey Fracas posted:

This just reminds me that we never got a good kinda SRPG that uses the 4e stuff which seems like it was tailor-made for an SRPG with a computer keeping track of all the marks and other poo poo

People didn't like 4e because of that stuff

They were wrong

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Strawberry Panda posted:

Got it! Time to boot up BG1 again now.

*Runs into a wolf. Every attack misses. Team wipe.*

story mode only baby

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The main thing I remember about 4E was people complaining they turned into WOW lol

I don't really follow D&D either so I dunno how things got from that to the current zeitgeist where it's the most popular thing in the world because of streamers

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
For me the biggest problem was climbing to the top of a wizard house, and seeing the battle log fill with poo poo like:

code:
Contingency: Immunity to Normal Weapons
Contingency: Immunity to Abnormal Weapons
Contingency: Immunity to Weapons That Promised Me In The Description Box That They Eat Magical Protections And poo poo Out Dead Casters
Contingency: Protection Against Spells That Dispel Protections, Except Maybe One Of Them, No We Won't Tell You Which One LOL
Contingency: Invisibility
Contingency: Improved Invisibility
Contingency: Improved I Can't loving Believe That Wizard Is Still Somewhere In This Room, Goddamit These Fireballs Hurt A Lot
The only reason I got through BG2 was that anti-caster paladin subclass that comes with an innate dispel magic power you can just spam at anything with a pointy hat until their spellbook is empty.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The main thing I remember about 4E was people complaining they turned into WOW lol

I don't really follow D&D either so I dunno how things got from that to the current zeitgeist where it's the most popular thing in the world because of streamers

They made 5e which was basically just 3.5e again

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

people say that, I don't really agree, 5e is a whole lot closer to 4e than 3. they just filed all the labels off the stuff morons complained about being too video gamey while working essentially the same way + made the character creation and combat worse (but to their benefit ultimately because all the people brought in by the 5e boom would not have liked that stuff)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I just wanna play around with all of the 4e battle system stuff; I love it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The last D&D edition I actually played on tabletop was 2.5. 5E seems a bit samey to me from the outset (you can basically make every class look and play identically if you want) but all the adjustments Larian made for BG3 were good ones that I expect to be surreptitiously stolen.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I remember trying neverwinter nights many moons ago and just looking at items stats and seeing the dnd stuff and just completely bouncing off and immediately uninstalling. gently caress that poo poo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

most of it's in 5.5 so either larian was working off wotcs notes or wotc really liked bg3 early access

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Haha poo poo.
When are they again, tomorrow?