Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Didn’t Guilliman immediately drive off a Black Legion force upon being brought back? Then go back to Terra, become the first person in thousands of years to speak to the emperor, gently caress up some Khorne invaders, become the regent of the entire Imperium and launch a 100-year crusade off of the back of an entire new strain of Space Marine? Hard to say it wasn’t impactful.

Anno fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, Bobby G absolutely dumpsters a bunch of greater daemons at the Lion's Gate when he gets back to Terra. And that's after Guilliman had beaten up Magnus on Luna.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think it’s just sort of a side effect of how everything is structured. The Imperium aren’t the good guys, but they are often the protagonists, and coupled with being humans they’re a faction that people can empathize with. When Chaos consumes an Imperial world we can at least nominally imagine what that would be like, and consider the impact of the lives lost. When Chaos suffers a significant setback they kinda just retreat into the Warp for some number of years to regroup and try again. It’s so ephemeral that it’s hard to feel any sense of drama around their losses.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Anno posted:

Didn’t Guilliman immediately drive off a Black Legion force upon being brought back? Then go back to Terra, become the first person in thousands of years to speak to the emperor, gently caress up some Khorne invaders, become the regent of the entire Imperium and launch a 100-year crusade off of the back of an entire new strain of Space Marine? Hard to say it wasn’t impactful.

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, Bobby G absolutely dumpsters a bunch of greater daemons at the Lion's Gate when he gets back to Terra. And that's after Guilliman had beaten up Magnus on Luna.

None of that is really impactful, its basically just all reactive.

Guilliman driving off the forces invading his planet is just a return to status quo, its not like he hosed up the Black Legion recruitment worlds or whatever.

Greater daemons outside of the the Traitor primarchs are a dime dozen (yes yes we are told they are a big deal but there's tons of them)

Becoming the Regent of the Imperium hasnt really done anything of note, he's literally still trying to unfuck the calendars. He realizes how hosed and cruel the system is and is working to fix it, but get back to me when there's shown to be significant change for the better (there wont be because thats not the point of the setting).

The indomintus crusade again basically is just a status quo reversal except not really cause tons of poo poo is still hosed.

Primaris space marines are a particularly bad example because while people act like they are a huge deal the typical response from CSM we have seen has been "Huh, weird, *blam blam*, well anyways".

Anno posted:

I think it’s just sort of a side effect of how everything is structured. The Imperium aren’t the good guys, but they are often the protagonists, and coupled with being humans they’re a faction that people can empathize with. When Chaos consumes an Imperial world we can at least nominally imagine what that would be like, and consider the impact of the lives lost. When Chaos suffers a significant setback they kinda just retreat into the Warp for some number of years to regroup and try again. It’s so ephemeral that it’s hard to feel any sense of drama around their losses.

This is kinda how I feel. Imperial losses or setbacks are portrayed as long lasting or permanent or a tragedy for the Imperials. Nothing ever really happens to Chaos that ever feels impactful. A greater demon being banished for 100 years is meaningless given the time scales often used in the books. Most chaos worlds that fall were very recently imperial worlds so as such weren't super important.

Chronologically I think maybe the last significant crisis that Chaos forces has had was the post heresy scouring where everyone got pushed into the Eye, and the resulting infighting and power jockeying.

40k has a bad habit of saying "Hey this is a really big deal" and then showing the exact opposite.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

That's a very weird response imo. The back and forth in the fiction is central to the drama. You might not have liked how those particular items were written, and that might be fair, but all of those things are significant with even the most baseline knowledge of the setting. Even if Guilliman had went and messed up a bunch of black legion recruiting worlds, what then would your response be? They'd write some big ups for Chaos right afterwards, certainly, so the drama continues. That's how fiction works in this kind of setting. They've created a new baseline to play around, but the key players aren't going to disappear.

If you feel that the fiction wasn't written as impactfully as you think it ought to be given the stakes involved and the consequences of what's being described, though, I think that's probably fair.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 6, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arc Hammer posted:

I think the scene that best exemplifies it is during the boarding sequence where a marine opens a door and fires three shots in half a second. You know three (or more) people just died in an instant and the marine had them zeroed the instant the door started to open. Just inhuman speed and precision.

They pass by an open door iirc. And yeah, how many people were in there? How many shots did he fire? That many.

Reacting to the anti-material rifle ambush was also crazy. They react perfectly to the incoming fire that could actually hurt them, then their flanker cleans up the threat. I do think that was kind of a waste of two bolter rounds, that close up there's no need for shooting. Melee murder would have been harder to animate and lacked the bit where the marine looms out of the dark lit only by muzzle flashes, so I'll accept it as an artistic choice.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

I love how in The Dark City they completely miss all of that even though they're going to use the same webway gate. There's some vox chatter that's obviously bullshit so Lijes just completely disregards it. Oops.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

S.J. posted:

That's a very weird response imo. The back and forth in the fiction is central to the drama. You might not have liked how those particular items were written, and that might be fair, but all of those things are significant with even the most baseline knowledge of the setting. Even if Guilliman had went and messed up a bunch of black legion recruiting worlds, what then would your response be? They'd write some big ups for Chaos right afterwards, certainly, so the drama continues. That's how fiction works in this kind of setting. They've created a new baseline to play around, but the key players aren't going to disappear.

If you feel that the fiction wasn't written as impactfully as you think it ought to be given the stakes involved and the consequences of what's being described, though, I think that's probably fair.

That's not really true. There is no back and forth, there has consistently been a back , which has been a long trend/theme in the setting where Chaos is eroding away at the Imperium. This is consistent with the Imperium being the decaying empire with barbarians at the gates. The 12 prior black crusades were arguably some of the bigger fumbles that Chaos had, but they retconned those to be all part of a master plan that achieved their core goals.

When is the last time that say, something like the devestation of Baal happened to a significant chaos holding (yes, I realize that that is nids but my point stands) or a Plague War level invasion into a highly important Chaos realm? As far as I know Fenris is still pretty hosed from the Invasion.

They are reaaaaally trying to portray the return of Gulliman, The Lion, The Primaris as this grand revitalizing moment for the Imperium, that the Imperium will be making gains against Chaos, but so far they have shored up some of the very recent wall breachs and put out some of the very recently started fires and have done ???? since. Maybe the upcoming books will deal with it, but the Imperium is absolutely primed to start swinging so there can be an actual back and forth.

Im sure the next book will deal with all the above and RG leads like a relatitory raid into the EOT or something to bombard the Planet of Sorcerers before it teleports away in a fart cloud or and I'll eat my words.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Anno posted:

I mean, the bit I threw out as a story was kinda taking the resurrection of Bobby G in the Gathering Storm and flipping it's perspective.

I think what Tesla's feeling is more due to Imperium being the viewpoint team (for lack of a better term), and the need for narrative tension meaning that the Imperium is on the backfoot in most of the stories they feature in. Cain and the Valhallan's have to work with limited resources to try to hold a small sector of land until reinforcements arrive. Or the Enemy (be it alien or Chaos) attacked with the element of surprise, so the Imperial characters have to run a guerilla war to survive. Underdog stories sell like hotcakes and basic writing conventions want the hero to overcome a challenge. Because of this, the Imperium never really gets to FEEL like it should to outsiders, an inexorable force backed by a mountain of men and material that you cannot hope to overcome.

In the Dark Imperium books, Roboute only actually takes the field in one fight and that's against Mortarion. Meanwhile in Know No Fear he's thrown on the back foot against the Word Bearers and Lorgar, and is given one of his most Chad moments by being sucked out the bridge, and beating Chaos Marines to death with his bare hands until he can get back inside the ship.

Hell, people here even bring up that Twice Dead King was one of the first books to make the Imperium feel like a threat, because it presented a crusade fleet in all it's terrifying Glory.

I will also say that the writers need to do a hair better job at writing the impact of the Primarch's return. It feels like they're just there, existing, surrounded by their marines as if nothing's unusual. When it would be like Saint Michael decended from the Heavens, confirm the truth of your religion, and then he was running the Pentagon. Even if he just wanted to fight his war, people would be trying EVERYTHING to see him and get his blessing.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

There definitely should be things like "The Black Legion deployed to Planet X to support the sector wide warfront but then immediately withdrew because Roboute was there, and was angry" or "We boarded this ship but then The Lion threw our dreadnought through the ship hull and into space so yeah, we left because gently caress that".

That wouldn't make any sense at all, really. There were plenty of times during the Heresy where regular Astartes went up directly against Primarchs. Off the top of my head...loyalist World Eaters fighting against Angron. The Alpha Legion kill team attacking Guilliman in his quarters. Sigismund facing Fulgrim atop the walls of Terra. The Grey Knights facing down a fully daemonic Angron. Their entire thing is that they know no fear.

Sure, they might retreat when they don't think they can win, but that's a matter of tactics and strategy. Even when Talos and First Claw do it, it's clear they're not doing it because they're afraid. They're doing it because they don't think victory is worth the materiel or lives it will cost them if they fought it out.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Telsa Cola posted:

That's not really true. There is no back and forth, there has consistently been a back , which has been a long trend/theme in the setting where Chaos is eroding away at the Imperium. This is consistent with the Imperium being the decaying empire with barbarians at the gates. The 12 prior black crusades were arguably some of the bigger fumbles that Chaos had, but they retconned those to be all part of a master plan that achieved their core goals.

When is the last time that say, something like the devestation of Baal happened to a significant chaos holding (yes, I realize that that is nids but my point stands) or a Plague War level invasion into a highly important Chaos realm? As far as I know Fenris is still pretty hosed from the Invasion.

They are reaaaaally trying to portray the return of Gulliman, The Lion, The Primaris as this grand revitalizing moment for the Imperium, that the Imperium will be making gains against Chaos, but so far they have shored up some of the very recent wall breachs and put out some of the very recently started fires and have done ???? since. Maybe the upcoming books will deal with it, but the Imperium is absolutely primed to start swinging so there can be an actual back and forth.

Im sure the next book will deal with all the above and RG leads like a relatitory raid into the EOT or something to bombard the Planet of Sorcerers before it teleports away in a fart cloud or and I'll eat my words.

The forth is the status quo you're referring to. Also, the black crusades weren't retconned to be successes, they were sold that way from the beginning. The good guys need something genuinely threatening to fight against, so the bad guys 'win', and the imperium pushes them back to the status quo. That's the back and forth. Imperial territories are sold as real, significant places where consequences can occur - chaos strongholds are not written like this. They are distant, ephemeral - they technically don't exist, as far as the fiction is concerned, because they only exist to explain away how the bad guys are able to operate, and even then only if it's important to the story at hand. There's nothing there for the imperium to 'win' at in the story because there's no significance to it. Realistically, in the same way, Imperial losses are only as significant as the writing is able to sell the impact of those losses, but since the Imperium is our default PoV, it's something we can at least relate to.

That's the entire shape of the fiction though. The Imperium is in decay, even at it's best. Imperial victories are ones in which the Imperium survives another day, because that's the best they can hope for. That's just a core part of the setting up until now. The nature of the Imperium means that any gains they might make in technology or territory or whatever is countermanded by their backwards attitudes and self destructive behavior.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 6, 2023

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Calax posted:

I will also say that the writers need to do a hair better job at writing the impact of the Primarch's return. It feels like they're just there, existing, surrounded by their marines as if nothing's unusual. When it would be like Saint Michael decended from the Heavens, confirm the truth of your religion, and then he was running the Pentagon. Even if he just wanted to fight his war, people would be trying EVERYTHING to see him and get his blessing.

Read the Watcher's of the Throne duology. The bits where ordinary folks react to the return of Guilliman are great, contrasted with how the Silent Sister and the Custodes react. The scene where the Sister is publicly honored by the returned Primarch has her somewhat dispassionately remark that the witnessing public has full-blown religious mania thing going on. People are weeping and babbling and collapsing.

Of course, the politicians start wheeling and dealing and going behind his back immediately, but ordinary folks are consumed with the most dangerous of emotions: Hope.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Telsa Cola posted:

And yeah that would be a dope scene.

In the Lion book (no real spoilers) the Lion clowns on a squad of terminators with his bare hands and then at the end goes "huh that was harder than I thought it should be."

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

S.J. posted:

The forth is the status quo you're referring to. Also, the black crusades weren't retconned to be successes, they were sold that way from the beginning. The good guys need something genuinely threatening to fight against, so the bad guys 'win', and the imperium pushes them back to the status quo. That's the back and forth. Imperial territories are sold as real, significant places where consequences can occur - chaos strongholds are not written like this. They are distant, ephemeral - they technically don't exist, as far as the fiction is concerned, because they only exist to explain away how the bad guys are able to operate, and even then only if it's important to the story at hand. There's nothing there for the imperium to 'win' at in the story because there's no significance to it. Realistically, in the same way, Imperial losses are only as significant as the writing is able to sell the impact of those losses, but since the Imperium is our default PoV, it's something we can at least relate to.

That's the entire shape of the fiction though. The Imperium is in decay, even at it's best. Imperial victories are ones in which the Imperium survives another day, because that's the best they can hope for. That's just a core part of the setting up until now. The nature of the Imperium means that any gains they might make in technology or territory or whatever is countermanded by their backwards attitudes and self destructive behavior.

Yeah to me the shape of the current setting isn't the Primarchs are back and the Primaris Marines are here to save the day, It's more, the primarchs are back and the primaris marines are here now, and thats the bare minimum for the imperium to barely stay alive and hold on to what it has, things are really bad. When they first introduced them I think they intended it to be a revitalization moment but they decided to change that as time went on and now the imperium is worse and pressured more than ever before. Kinda like how the Ynarri are stuck in a holding pattern and their mission cant be completed anymore, currently.

Roboute wants to take everything back and undo some of the worst excesses of the imperium, but his hands are tied and he himself is pissed that he can't actually just unilaterally undo the inquisition despite being a son of the emperor. The indomitus crusade did return big chunks of what was lost to the empire, but chaos is still hounding them every step of the way and getting big wins at the same time, meanwhile the tyranids are surrounding the entire domain and eating away at the edges.

Personally I prefer it that way, the Imperium of man as a rotting, inherently evil institution that has 10 thousand years of decayed momentum working towards its own destruction really shouldn't be the kind of thing that One guy waking up can turn around and save, not even the Emperor. I like that there's a tragedy in that, the Imperium is too weak to end its enemies and bring peace, but still powerful enough to absolutely crush anybody that is just trying to live out there in space or act towards making something better.

Hydra Dominatus

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 6, 2023

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The fact that 40k is a narrative but also a -product line- also limits storytelling options. In a a pure book series you can just go "House Billabong, central to this setting, was betrayed at the Battle of Bungle and wiped out in a valiant last stand. Things are sure shook now!"

But 40k is limited in that scope. An author can't just go and say "So yeah, this tragedy during the Second Thramas Crusade activated a new flaw in the Blood Angels genetics and they ALL were lost to the Black Rage and put down. Throw your BA armies away or repaint them as Dark Angels, I guess."

I think they once kinda tried to kill Eldrad, but hey, he had to still be available to be sold and played, and there's barely any big Eldar characters still about in the lore, so they walked that back.

You can still generate stakes by guiving the factions and characters other things to lose: friends, ambitions, key resources, ideals. But in a truly big setting, authors don't always pull that off gracefully. Half the time it's just a blurb like "the Space Wolves scored a colossal victory by purging the Jonhatus Schmoenatus heretic horde in the system of Nowheria!"

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Speculation: Eldar have high metabolism, which would mean they need to eat a lot which would mean that most of a craftworlds population would be on the noble and respected path of the farmer, tilling the land of abandoned palatial estates. This explains both why farseers are so prominent in the culture, because all the farmers want to know how the harvest is going to be that cycle, and why the eldar prefer quick hit and fade tactics, because they want to get the job done and eat third breakfast.

This is my truth.

E: Asuryeehawni.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 6, 2023

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

euphronius posted:

Eisenhorn et Al is “old “

It actually sucks so much of Abnetts stuff is hundreds of years before Guilliman returns.. Would love to see Eisenhorn and Ravenor in the timeline.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Sephyr posted:

You can still generate stakes by guiving the factions and characters other things to lose: friends, ambitions, key resources, ideals. But in a truly big setting, authors don't always pull that off gracefully. Half the time it's just a blurb like "the Space Wolves scored a colossal victory by purging the Jonhatus Schmoenatus heretic horde in the system of Nowheria!"

Agreed completely. 40K fiction tends to be at its best when the author gets you to care about an individual, or a city, or a warband, or some other discrete, finite entity that can either have a good or bad outcome without having any impact on the setting overall. Oltyx is a dweeb nobody (from the perspective of the Necrons as a whole) so the author has free rein to describe his successes and failures. Whether Vervunhive stands defiant or falls to Heritor Asphodel matters very little in terms of the overall Sabbat crusade, and nothing at all to the fate of the Imperium, and that lets it serve for way better storytelling than if it was shoehorned into being some kind of galaxy-changing event.

To reference a completely different series, it's why I like the books in Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey-Maturin series where the title characters aren't traveling on HMS Surprise, because Surprise is essentially a third main character and has plot armor. But when they're sailing a different ship, those ships can and do get sunk sometimes. It expands the author's freedom.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Asuryeehawni.

Hover Tanks are repurposed tractors.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I think the first early example of this style was 'Lord of Night'. On paper, it's a big victory: this one Night Lord heretic by himself just rocking an imperial hive world!

Except, well, the Imperium is mot short on lovely worlds, and the main character basically loses the last dregs of what mattered to him. Not as great at ADB's trilogy, but surprisingly good.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

I do like the idea that maybe they're setting up a twist, that a few Primarchs coming back to punch Chaos Marines in the face isn't going to save the Imperium because the fundamental structures of the Imperium itself are the biggest problem. It would be a fun story for the big heroes of legend to reappear, everyone to cheer and celebrate, and then they turn around and say 'poo poo is hosed, we can't fix this'.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I do like the idea that maybe they're setting up a twist, that a few Primarchs coming back to punch Chaos Marines in the face isn't going to save the Imperium because the fundamental structures of the Imperium itself are the biggest problem. It would be a fun story for the big heroes of legend to reappear, everyone to cheer and celebrate, and then they turn around and say 'poo poo is hosed, we can't fix this'.

I think it's notable that Cawl, who is entirely capable of developing new technology and is pretty much a person who worked directly with the emperor when developing the original space marines, is not allowed to actually develop anything new that isn't based on an stc or mars or the inquisition will have him killed. Both are already trying to, and are only ramping up their efforts as of late.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I liked the speculation that Guilliman's return will ultimately lead to civil war because the Imperium is fundamentally incapable of change.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

I think it's notable that Cawl, who is entirely capable of developing new technology and is pretty much a person who worked directly with the emperor when developing the original space marines, is not allowed to actually develop anything new that isn't based on an stc or mars or the inquisition will have him killed. Both are already trying to, and are only ramping up their efforts as of late.

Read Genefather.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sextro posted:

Read Genefather.

Yeah, he's mostly given up trying to develop new technology that would improve the Imperium, because of that hassle, and is entirely focused on his work with using necron pylons to try to close the rift.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
If we're wishing, and if the presumption that the Primarchs are returning is taken for granted, I'd like the next grand arc of the plot to focus on the Imperium struggling against itself to become slightly less horrible. If the Lion, Corax, Russ, and Jaghatai are principally engaged in fighting to keep the borders secure while Guilleman, Dorn, and Vulkan attempt to unfuck the colossally-hosed institutions of the Imperium, that's a nigh-endless struggle which can replace the prior nigh-endless struggle and give new opportunities for writing new kinds of stories.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Gimme a big time throwdown between Ordo Hereticus and Vulkan over the policy of murking billions of loyal citizens because daemons were present during a Chaos invasion they helped beat back with their faith and lives.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Khizan posted:

That wouldn't make any sense at all, really. There were plenty of times during the Heresy where regular Astartes went up directly against Primarchs. Off the top of my head...loyalist World Eaters fighting against Angron. The Alpha Legion kill team attacking Guilliman in his quarters. Sigismund facing Fulgrim atop the walls of Terra. The Grey Knights facing down a fully daemonic Angron. Their entire thing is that they know no fear.

Sure, they might retreat when they don't think they can win, but that's a matter of tactics and strategy. Even when Talos and First Claw do it, it's clear they're not doing it because they're afraid. They're doing it because they don't think victory is worth the materiel or lives it will cost them if they fought it out.

Sidetracking a bit, there are a lot of points in the Siege of Terra series and wider Heresy books where the behaviour of astartes when enemy Primarchs appear just seems deeply stupid or outright suicidal. They're always charging at the primarch from all sides and obviously getting slaughtered. I get there's some in-universe justification for that, they are warriors as well as soldiers, and especially with legions like the World Eaters you could argue it makes sense. For others like the Alpha Legion it feels like very false set-dressing to give the primarch cool things to do.

You would think that not only would almost any marines fall back immediately in the face of a primarch - they should be professional enough to not attack in the face of certain death - you would think that some of the genius strategic minds of the imperium/traitors would start just setting up traps to make sure an enemy primarch appeared at the front, and then pointing some kind of orbital bombardment or precision weapon strike at the grid coordinates.

I get the narrative reasons that doesn't happen, and at a couple points, e.g. Saturnine and Angron, the authors play with it by showing daemon primarchs just aren't killable by such impersonal methods. But it makes me roll my eyes every time that whenever a Primarch goes into battle there will be a page or two of mighty astartes champions running straight at him and being cut down in one blow. Like don't they ever stop to think?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mllaneza posted:

They pass by an open door iirc. And yeah, how many people were in there? How many shots did he fire? That many.

I did a double check and played back the scene at half speed. The marine yanks the door open with one hand before immediately firing three shots. At regular speed you almost miss it but the door is definitely closed before he starts shooting. It's just insanely fast reaction times.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Z the IVth posted:

In the Lion book (no real spoilers) the Lion clowns on a squad of terminators with his bare hands and then at the end goes "huh that was harder than I thought it should be."

All that happened in like less than 10 seconds too, from what I remember.

Ok, a bit longer than that, it took less than a minute.

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 6, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Does Gav actually stop new writers from doing eldar stories? That would be pretty sad. I feel like they're a super underserved faction and new blood shedding new light on them might do good.

There have been some (mostly unconfirmed) stories about Gav putting his foot down on authors wanting to write Eldar books, as he apparently considers them his baby.
Which is hilarious when there's never going to be a third Ynnari book because the second one sold terribly.

Inspector_666 posted:

Speaking of underserved factions where the gently caress are my Votann books?!?!

Well, there was that book that Gav is/was supposedly writing for Votann. :v:

If it shows up on Saturday, there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth I'm sure.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Sephyr posted:

The fact that 40k is a narrative but also a -product line- also limits storytelling options. In a a pure book series you can just go "House Billabong, central to this setting, was betrayed at the Battle of Bungle and wiped out in a valiant last stand. Things are sure shook now!"

But 40k is limited in that scope. An author can't just go and say "So yeah, this tragedy during the Second Thramas Crusade activated a new flaw in the Blood Angels genetics and they ALL were lost to the Black Rage and put down. Throw your BA armies away or repaint them as Dark Angels, I guess."

I think they once kinda tried to kill Eldrad, but hey, he had to still be available to be sold and played, and there's barely any big Eldar characters still about in the lore, so they walked that back.

This is where I think Imperium Nihilus can create a lot of fun tales. The Imperium as we know it pre-Indomidus effectively exists in Imperium Sanctus, struggling to stay alive and possibly even managing to make a few steps foreward against her enemies. Nihilus though, it's the wild west. The structure of the Imperium and the Administratum have broken down due to the loss of the Astronomican. Everything we consider to be "Rules" can be broken and you're not going to see a Retribution Fleet show up. Even in the Lion's book, there's a small Chaos empire that a former Dark Angel built out of terrified planets. Stories that you wouldn't have been able to tell in "Old" 40k can be played with in Nihilus (although there was enough ground in the Imperium as it was you could write just about anything).

I don't think that you're ever going to truly see anyone wiped out. Like you said, but at the same time you could see a sector be taken by Chaos for an edition or two as the Imperium struggles to reclaim it. Hell, maybe Armageddon Falls to Orks and an 11th edition is built on the battle to reclaim it?

Also the Eldrad Uthwe thing was from the OG 13th black crusade that Games Workshop did. The results were based on player battle reports, which effectively gave Chaos a minor win, but they didn't change the Status Quo that much.

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Eye_of_Terror_Campaign

That's the basic run down of it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Such a classic example of GW underestimating what would happen. First and last time they really let the control of plot progression in players hands, and then just altering the final result to suit their needs.

Also that article is hilarious masturbatory at times.
From what I recall from stories back then is that Order utterly dominated the space section, while chaos had the ground. Even then I recall people weren't too pleased about it all of a sudden ending with a minor Chaos victory.

But I think the best story I remember in the wake of that campaign ending was the Orks flipping everyone the bird and setting up their own empire in one corner

They did try again with Storm of Chaos for Fantasy, but then they pretty much ignored the final results in that case, because they didn't get the results they wanted. Like EoT did rock the status quo, while SoC end result involved a lot of narrative convince that thing ended up more or less the same, the example I remember was that it had the Slayer king die at the hands of some monster, only for his son to take up the oath after seeing his father die.
The one plus was that it did end with Grimgor kneeing Archaon in the balls before walking off.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well it just proves Grimgor iz da best.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Grimgor teabagging Archaon was the greatest piece of writing GW ever did in Fantasy tbh.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

No wonder they decided to make the switch to the Mortal Realms, they simply knew that there was no way they could beat that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/CGTester/status/1732798161113002060?s=19

Tester got himself a gig for the Rogue Trader game.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I got in on the early alpha beta or whatever it was. I knew 5 minutes into it that I had to shelve it. It was so lore heavy right out of the gate I knew I needed to wait for the actual release. It was like someone put a 40k book into Baulders Gate 2. I'm going to have to finish whatever book I'm reading at the time when it releases and clear my calendar for a few months, I think.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

There's a lot to it. Here's a good play through of the opening of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dni-zgj0i8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I'm excited for it but I'm also gonna wait until probably February and see how the game's coming with patches and so forth.