Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WhatEvil posted:

Should I pay into a pension? Or spaff it all up the wall and lie a decent life while I still can?
Canada at least has MAID as a fallback if you want to do that, whereas the pro suffering ghouls over here won't even let us have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just avoid that Canadian teachers pension fund or whatever it is that bought the national lottery (UK) ball machine and also lost millions when FTX collapsed.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The DUP are more Dr NO than Dr WHO

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The salary requirement for spouse visas will also apply to visa renewals, so in essence if you are already on the 5/10 year route you will need a partner earning 38k when the time to renew your visa comes along.

This is insane.

Literally breaking up families.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The Perfect Element posted:

Is 'cybersex' still a thing, nowerdays? It was all the rage 15-20 years ago, but it seems pretty quaint now.

e: a/s/l? wot r u wearing??

Their robe and wizard hat. Says right there in their reply.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

UKMT Winterval 2023/24 - If I'm not at work I'm not wearing my wizard robe

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thank you whoever used my Octopus referral code :)
Pretty sure it was a goon.
£50 just landed in my account.

I wish you a Merry Octomas

I used one last month? I don't know how long it takes to filter through.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Canada at least has MAID as a fallback if you want to do that, whereas the pro suffering ghouls over here won't even let us have that.

I thought this was something to do with nukes before I googled it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

"DxEU's Midnight Runners - Come On Arlene" was one of the greatest titles in the history of this forum imo

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

keep punching joe posted:

The salary requirement for spouse visas will also apply to visa renewals, so in essence if you are already on the 5/10 year route you will need a partner earning 38k when the time to renew your visa comes along.

In the (current) gov.uk site on family visas, it says that combined income is used to count toward the threshold, so long as it's earned in the UK. If you already have the family visa and will be renewing it then the person on the visa (may) already be employed.

quote:

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/proof-income
You and your partner must have a combined income of at least £18,600 a year if:

you’re applying as a partner

..snip...

You and your partner can use:

income from employment before tax and National Insurance (check your P60 or payslips) - you can only use your own income if you earn it in the UK

Or have I got that wrong, or it's changing too?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
This dystopian bullshit just landed in my inbox courtesy of a school mailing list.

"Hey kids, come hang out with this run-down white van!" - Britain, 2023

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
THEY ARRESTED SANTA???

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Microplastics posted:

Nursery fees were mentioned earlier.

Funnily enough last week we had a sort of PTA meeting with our nursery, and given they'd just hiked fees almost 10% you can imagine what the main topic of conversation was. So we got answers.

And although some of the cost increase is down to food inflation (a nursery will get through a lot of food, it's not like the meals are small. growing toddlers eat almost adult portions) most of it is, if course, staff.

And it's incredibly competitive right now. Staff will move for a 10p/hour increase because it makes a difference. Nurseries are fighting over a limited supply. Staffing shortages can cause a huge headache because nurseries can't legally operate if the ratio moves past 8 kids to 1 staff member, so they fight hard and give competitive salaries and perks like training. Our nursery recruits directly via LinkedIn etc, but they can't fulfil their needs entirely by this, so they use a recruiting agent which can charge exorbitant fees. It all gets passed on to the customer.

It's hard to feel mad because nursery staff do an incredibly hard job - I wouldn't do it for 70k - but they're on retail wages. They probably deserve a pay lift.

Instead most parents and nurseries alike blame the goverment for just not subsidising it enough.

I mean it makes sense that costs for them would be high, but yeah, it's that the level of government support is so low.

Like, it's obvious that if (and we know the right wing don't) the government wanted a truly thriving country, there would be fully subsidised childcare and fully funded education to make our people smarter and have the best start to live, while I and my wife spend the money we earn in places like shops to help continue and grow the economic cycle.

The truth is though, that it's not what they want. A smart country is more likely to catch on to their grift which is funneling all of the money from everybody to the pockets of a select elite including themselves.

It continually frustrates me that it's so blatant, yet people don't spot it or talk about it for whatever reason.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

xtothez posted:

This dystopian bullshit just landed in my inbox courtesy of a school mailing list.

Please ensure that the man in the beard and costume is not PC Dave 'The Nonce' Smith, as he is not allowed near schools due to a littering conviction that has somehow gone missing from all records.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tesseraction posted:

"DxEU's Midnight Runners - Come On Arlene" was one of the greatest titles in the history of this forum imo

Still appears randomly in my brain and elicits a chuckle five(?) years later

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I see Scarfolk is spreading to London.

(Not sure if this is a prank, an instruction intended for someone other than the general public, or the new London craze on TikTok that I am unaware of. Are all the kids Stepping Back? Has Mizzy been banned from Plunging?)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Betjeman posted:

THEY ARRESTED SANTA???

Nah, Santa's a cop.

Anyway most nursery employees are typically paid retail/minimum wage. If you think teaching wages are bad - hooo boy. It's basically criminal and just another way that this country is slowly collapsing since nobody is going to want to do it long term for £8 per hour. It's a tough job!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I don't know how much my nursery pays but they must get at least the London living wage, 13.15 an hour. I can't imagine doing that kind of work for that wage. Unthinkable to me that it pays so low, when I'm getting 50k to sit on my rear end and poke a computer repeatedly until some numbers are good instead of bad

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

Now , of course, Baroness Foster - for her services towards Irish Unity

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Guavanaut posted:

I see Scarfolk is spreading to London.

(Not sure if this is a prank, an instruction intended for someone other than the general public, or the new London craze on TikTok that I am unaware of. Are all the kids Stepping Back? Has Mizzy been banned from Plunging?)

I understand some of the words on this post

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

quote:

Usually, when a train terminates at a bay platform (comes in one way, goes out the other) the driver will take their key out, leave the cab, walk to the other end of the train, key in, doors closed, drive train out the other way.

However, at peak times, there's no time to do that (and besides, the platform's probably busy enough to make it difficult for the driver to force their way along.) So what happens is that as the inbound driver gets out at the far end, another driver gets in at the other end to take the train out the other way. This is what stepping back is.

The inbound driver, once they've left the train, presses a plunger on the platform to tell the outbound driver "I have left the train, you may go." Then, assuming the signal is clear, the outbound driver is settled into their cab and everything is in order, the train leaves the other way.

So naturally, it's very important to remember to plunge.

I could not rest until I found out the answer

https://reddit.com/r/london/comments/2vxyww/a_question_for_tube_travelers_regarding_a/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This sounds like exactly the sort of thing that twisto would have a deep historical knowledge of.

e: ^ Excellent. Exactly the sort of industry specific thing that sounds like "have you remembered to saponify your lutefisk before sousing" to anyone outside it.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 6, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

LOL you should get a bit on that quiz show with Da on :newlol:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

xtothez posted:

they're going to shove that snowman's carrot up his bum and take a hairdryer to him when they get him back to the cells

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think the elves on the left are about to chuck some bottles of petrol at the van first.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i've the same soft spot for dr whom that a lot of people who grew up with british TV seem to have but i do resent any show that gives CAFFRIN TAYTE AAMABOVAHED screen time :mad:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LabourList/status/1732356787355996646

:allears:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"We have reduced racist and sexist bullying against Labour MPs by over 40% by suspending Diane Abbott"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

"We weren't bullying people correctly before."

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix posted:

LOL you should get a bit on that quiz show with Da on :newlol:

I’d be the token English person who hasn’t got the slightest loving clue what’s going on

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Angrymog posted:

I used one last month? I don't know how long it takes to filter through.

It must be you then because you're the only one I've had in the last couple of months!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

keep punching joe posted:

This is insane.

Literally breaking up families.

This is going to be a nightmare, I've offered a really good guy a salary of £36K (6 more than he'd put as an expectation and decent for science), and he needs to review his visa in May, guess we might all be screwed? Plus he has a wife finishing her masters, guess if she doesn't get a great job then that's another fail. They have a child too, how long until they say it has to be £38K per family member (including kids)...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

I’d be the token English person who hasn’t got the slightest loving clue what’s going on
Ah, the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Microplastics posted:

I don't know how much my nursery pays but they must get at least the London living wage, 13.15 an hour. I can't imagine doing that kind of work for that wage. Unthinkable to me that it pays so low, when I'm getting 50k to sit on my rear end and poke a computer repeatedly until some numbers are good instead of bad

Must it? I work in pharmacy (as lots of folk know) and I get my company's London wage, which is 11.51 an hour. We're the lowest paid people in our entire village. Lmao.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
They haven't specified the exact wage but they have said that they meet the London living wage. They probably pay above it though given the staffing issues.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Marmaduke! posted:

This is going to be a nightmare, I've offered a really good guy a salary of £36K (6 more than he'd put as an expectation and decent for science), and he needs to review his visa in May, guess we might all be screwed? Plus he has a wife finishing her masters, guess if she doesn't get a great job then that's another fail. They have a child too, how long until they say it has to be £38K per family member (including kids)...

Hell, how long before it has to be 38k for citizenship and the right to vote even if you were born here? One weird trick...

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Service guarantees citizenship.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Microplastics posted:

That's part of why I moved into management.

Other than a bunch of highly transferable people skills if my industry implodes due to AI/automation, I now at least mentor other computer pokers to make numbers look better.

Speaking of, what is a relatively high paid stable job role/career path to potentially transfer to in your 40s?

I work in (digital) marketing and while it's not like folk are gonna stop selling stuff, the tech behind it is slowly simplifying and it's anyone's guess what it'll be like in 10 years never mind 20 when I'm getting close to retirement but not the (lol) state pension age.

It's had me thinking if things like being an accountant are more future proof etc. They always seem like important roles in a company.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Runcible Cat posted:

Hell, how long before it has to be 38k for citizenship and the right to vote even if you were born here? One weird trick...
Honestly I'd respect the ideological consistency of someone who just wanted to deport everyone here to Rwanda more than I do this kind of blancmange brained nonsense:

fuctifino posted:

All the problems are down to immigrants according to Turning Point, and it's also down to people voting for Labour, because look at the mess Corbyn's made of our country over the past 13 years.

https://twitter.com/TPointUK/status/1730910828642152679

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Kin posted:

That's part of why I moved into management.

Other than a bunch of highly transferable people skills if my industry implodes due to AI/automation, I now at least mentor other computer pokers to make numbers look better.

Speaking of, what is a relatively high paid stable job role/career path to potentially transfer to in your 40s?

I work in (digital) marketing and while it's not like folk are gonna stop selling stuff, the tech behind it is slowly simplifying and it's anyone's guess what it'll be like in 10 years never mind 20 when I'm getting close to retirement but not the (lol) state pension age.

It's had me thinking if things like being an accountant are more future proof etc. They always seem like important roles in a company.

My ultimate plan for long term career future proofing is to eventually be made a judge.

I can guarantee you that's one career that will straight up still be going as is in 100 years time. You won't ever see Judge ChatGPT or Judge Grok on the bench*.

*= Though there is a Judge Raymond Groarke, he is not a computer in disguise.
Unless he's one of those sophisticated Westworld type Robots, but then we have much bigger problems.