Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
given that the card is removal for an attacker i think she's removing an attacker

that's not proft, either, he looks like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Literally what is happening in this art. It looks like she's trying to kill him, but the flavour text on the showcase says she's saving him. Why is there a knife just floating in midair between them.

I think it's an indebted Orzhov Ghost (orzhov guild symbol on forehead, cut looks incorporeal) that Kaya is killing with her ghostbusting knives.

edit: oh it's not Kaya, that's Etrata. That's why she's upset about helping a cop.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I hope they bring back morph for this set so that there's at least something resembling a mystery. I really hope there's something that ties the theme together more than just... Clue tokens.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

flatluigi posted:

the clue weapons will be in the main set as well, if you've ever looked forward to opening a card named Rope

Pretty sure I played against rope the first time I opened up MTGA, it's been around a while.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is there no commander set for this or did they just hold back spoilers?
And an Unmask reprint is guaranteed in the commander set right?

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

HootTheOwl posted:

There's 4 decks, they showed off the boxes with the rest of the cards they showed

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

HootTheOwl posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-Commander-Disguise-Revenant/dp/B0CMR5QLPZ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I don't think I saw people mention it, but apparently Secret Lair is packing a few more Doctor Who cards for this year's specials. And from my eye, probably the best one is also the most historically interesting one:

From what I know, either the second or third trans character on a Magic card (a friend of mine put it as 'depends on if Balan, Wandering Knight counts')! And I can see her being a pretty fun one in the Paradox deck.

There's also one for the Celestial Toymaker which is a weirdo choice gimmick clearly intended for the villain deck, and one for David Tennant Again that's basically designed to reflect regenerations as a concept. There's also two more they haven't revealed yet, one of which is likely Ncuti Gatwa's Doctor.

EDIT: I've kept bringing the Paradox deck to locals, and given it a bit of extra kick from the Ixalan stuff; I haven't won with it yet, but I keep managing to do pretty okay and finding neat combos that I don't quite draw early enough in the game to get rolling. There's also a pretty fun dynamic that every night I've gone someone's come up with a different idea for what to pair with Paradox, it's just generic enough as a concept that everyone goes different ways with it. I've also been suggested the Fae Dominion deck as a Black/Blue that seems to fit my style, so I guess I"m keeping my eye out for that one!

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 6, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

kalel posted:

can't wait to see the columbo expy. making peter falk's little poo poo-eating grin in the art, flavor text starting with "oh, and one other thing..."

Man that would be amazing

Also I mean.. I would probably buy an ace attorney secret lair

Objection could be counterspell

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

GrandpaPants posted:

I hope they bring back morph for this set so that there's at least something resembling a mystery. I really hope there's something that ties the theme together more than just... Clue tokens.

In the reveal stream, they said that there is a new mechanic called disguise in the set. They didn't give the details but mentioned face-down cards and mystery.

So, looks like you're getting (fixed?) morph!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Man that would be amazing

Also I mean.. I would probably buy an ace attorney secret lair

Objection could be counterspell

The weird thing is that, going by their general personalities, I don't think Phoenix and Edgeworth would be blue and red commanders respectively.

I think Edgeworth is primarily blue, focused on laying down a lot of restrictions and snuffing out enemy strategies. Phoenix is probably white and/or green, doing a lot of buildup and defense until he eventually has a case that can't be stopped.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Cleretic posted:

I don't think I saw people mention it, but apparently Secret Lair is packing a few more Doctor Who cards for this year's specials. And from my eye, probably the best one is also the most historically interesting one:

From what I know, either the second or third trans character on a Magic card (a friend of mine put it as 'depends on if Balan, Wandering Knight counts')! And I can see her being a pretty fun one in the Paradox deck.

There's also one for the Celestial Toymaker which is a weirdo choice gimmick clearly intended for the villain deck, and one for David Tennant Again that's basically designed to reflect regenerations as a concept. There's also two more they haven't revealed yet, one of which is likely Ncuti Gatwa's Doctor.

The last two are probably going to be Ncuti Gatwa's Doctor and Ruby Sunday (his companion) just so all Doctors and companions will be officially covered.

I don't see a deck where Rose Noble really has that much of a place in though (as a companion), outside of a "doctors/companions matter" deck or unless there's some kinda reanimation/flicker loop you're doing. It's almost like she was designed to be the companion for 14 which is just begging you to Run All The Doctors.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TacoNight posted:

In the reveal stream, they said that there is a new mechanic called disguise in the set. They didn't give the details but mentioned face-down cards and mystery.

Fixed morph?
You're going to get Illusionary Mask key-worded and you're going to like it!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
And don't say manifest. Where's the replacement effect on manifest that lets me get under bridge AND trigger my Kroxa?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

TacoNight posted:

I wonder what they'd change for morph

I don't really remember morph being terribly broken, but I don't think I actually played when it was relevant to begin with

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
When they make new versions of old mechanics it's usually to make it flow better/be easier to understand/increase the design space - look at cascade vs discover.

I suspect the new version will be an activated ability rather than the nonsense it is now

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MrL_JaKiri posted:

When they make new versions of old mechanics it's usually to make it flow better/be easier to understand/increase the design space - look at cascade vs discover.

I suspect the new version will be an activated ability rather than the nonsense it is now

I assume you mean turning a morph face up?
Because it's only ever going to be something other than a special action if and only if it's a fixed cost. The reason why is that morph costs are secret, so you need to turn the creature up and reveal the costs at the same time. The stack wouldn't let you do that.

Imagine your op paying 4 mana and passing priority.
You take game actions, they take game actions, the rest of the table takes game actions
The creature finally is turned face up and it turns out it was 5 mana not 4. Or they were off on their color mana counts. Your op couldn't afford it. Do you rewind? Do all the game actions everyone took still happen and you just undo the illegal flip?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Framboise posted:

The last two are probably going to be Ncuti Gatwa's Doctor and Ruby Sunday (his companion) just so all Doctors and companions will be officially covered. .

there's still a grievous lack of captain jack harkness, and don't bring up that face of boe poo poo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Silhouette posted:

there's still a grievous lack of captain jack harkness, and don't bring up that face of boe poo poo

That's due to the whole "sexual harassment" stuff, same reason there's not a Mickey card.

HootTheOwl posted:

I assume you mean turning a morph face up?
Because it's only ever going to be something other than a special action if and only if it's a fixed cost. The reason why is that morph costs are secret, so you need to turn the creature up and reveal the costs at the same time. The stack wouldn't let you do that.

Imagine your op paying 4 mana and passing priority.
You take game actions, they take game actions, the rest of the table takes game actions
The creature finally is turned face up and it turns out it was 5 mana not 4. Or they were off on their color mana counts. Your op couldn't afford it. Do you rewind? Do all the game actions everyone took still happen and you just undo the illegal flip?

Turn it over as part of the cost

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Oh what, is barrowman a sex pest? goddamn :(

Also I forgot mickey existed, as you should

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

TacoNight posted:

Camouflage reprint here we come.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That'd mean the morph ability itself is still part of the stack as a triggered action, but it's also already happened by the time it goes on the stack?

I'm not sure what that would mean in that case or how it'd really improve anything. I guess you could stifle a morph which is very funny

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How is that different than what it is now?
You pay the costs, and then turn it over with no player being able to respond
vs:
You pay the cost, including turning it over and no player is able to respond

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I'm not sure what that would mean in that case or how it'd really improve anything. I guess you could stifle a morph which is very funny
Well no, because stifle wouldn't un-pay the costs

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Silhouette posted:

Oh what, is barrowman a sex pest? goddamn :(

Also I forgot mickey existed, as you should

Yeah, he loved playing a game of "hey, here's my dick" constantly on the set. It's supposedly half the reason Eccleston didn't come back after the first season. The other half being the showrunners and BBC refusing to do anything about it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I feel like if you really want a Jack in that deck, there's a 'good enough' card to fit his flavor and the deck's color identity in the game somewhere.

He was basically RTD doing a Han Solo type, and I'd be stunned if Magic doesn't have like, eight different Han Solos in its card pool.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Literally what is happening in this art. It looks like she's trying to kill him, but the flavour text on the showcase says she's saving him. Why is there a knife just floating in midair between them.

I actually thought the person on the card was Kaya at first because I'm used to her saying really dumb things as flavor text.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

How is that different than what it is now?
You pay the costs, and then turn it over with no player being able to respond
vs:
You pay the cost, including turning it over and no player is able to respond

For one thing, it gets rid of the ability to counter split second spells with the appropriate morph creature which is definitely a rules edge case they're likely to close with a new version.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MrL_JaKiri posted:

For one thing, it gets rid of the ability to counter split second spells with the appropriate morph creature which is definitely a rules edge case they're likely to close with a new version.

I don't see how it would. What makes that possible is that turning a morph isn't an activated ability, so nothing to do with costs.
I guess what you're suggesting here is that disguised creatures all gain an activated ability that doesn't do anything but give you permission to pay it's own cost?
3, Turn this permanent face-up: [this space intentionally empty]

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There are a couple of ways you could do it:

X, reveal this: turn it face up

X, turn this face up: [whatever text you'd normally put as a "when this is turned face-up" triggered ability]

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jabor posted:

There are a couple of ways you could do it:

X, reveal this: turn it face up
Reveal is something cards can do, not face-down 2/2s

quote:

X, turn this face up: [whatever text you'd normally put as a "when this is turned face-up" triggered ability]
This one would also require a lot of secret rules. Like it's a 2/2 with no abilities, but also has an activated ability. I wouldn't want to be the one to figure out how to fit this into the layers.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My point is that all these "simple" solutions for morph aren't, and given my low opinion on RnD these days it's probably going to be like MegaMorph but with clues instead of +1/+1 counters

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Disguise could change timing rules. Though defaulting to sorcery speed would take away the whole combat bluffing game.

My take is that we play it face down as a 2/2 for 2, since gray ogre is no longer where it’s at.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
When morph was created, they didn't have access to two things we have today - reminder tokens and DFCs. The effect that creates the face down object could give it an activated ability, like Incubate. Put a reminder card in the token slot. Players will know what it does in limited, and have to be responsible for saying which is a disguised creature and which is an OG morph if playing them mixed together in a deck. I think if morph was done today it might be with DFCs, having a generic no-name creature on one side and the actual creature on the other.

There's no guarantee disguise is an updated morph, anyway. I saw someone say it's rumored to be a ninjutsu variant where the new creature keeps all the counters and attachments of the old one.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LifeLynx posted:

When morph was created, they didn't have access to two things we have today - reminder tokens and DFCs. The effect that creates the face down object could give it an activated ability, like Incubate. Put a reminder card in the token slot. Players will know what it does in limited, and have to be responsible for saying which is a disguised creature and which is an OG morph if playing them mixed together in a deck. I think if morph was done today it might be with DFCs, having a generic no-name creature on one side and the actual creature on the other.

There's no guarantee disguise is an updated morph, anyway. I saw someone say it's rumored to be a ninjutsu variant where the new creature keeps all the counters and attachments of the old one.

This is the "Fixed cost" thing I mentioned earlier.
In magic you first must state costs, before you can pay them.
With morph that makes showing the card part of the same group of actions as paying the costs:

quote:

702.37e Any time you have priority, you may turn a face-down permanent you control with a morph ability face up. This is a special action; it doesn’t use the stack (see rule 116). To do this, show all players what the permanent’s morph cost would be if it were face up, pay that cost, then turn the permanent face up. (If the permanent wouldn’t have a morph cost if it were face up, it can’t be turned face up this way.) The morph effect on it ends, and it regains its normal characteristics. Any abilities relating to the permanent entering the battlefield don’t trigger when it’s turned face up and don’t have any effect, because the permanent has already entered the battlefield.
So a reminder token would be, what? A checklist of all nuMorph costs in the set? That gets unwieldly if you ever print another card with the ability. So the cost must be something all players have access to at all times. A fixed cost.
Closer to incubate.
I also don't think we have to speculate on how morph or fixed morph would have been done today, because morph was in Khans

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I suspect that it’s going to be a lot different than Morph, if they wanted a Morph-like effect they would just use Morph. Cascade->Discover seems way more different than what’s being described.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I wonder how much dev time morph would take to implement in arena. the edge cases would probably make it a pain in the rear end to perform QA on

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalel posted:

I wonder how much dev time morph would take to implement in arena. the edge cases would probably make it a pain in the rear end to perform QA on

I don't think it would be too hard.
The rules of special actions are already covered under lands. Just add costs and make it instant speed.

But also khans is comming to arena next week so hopefully they did solve it. It would be super funny if Khans remastered had fetches (pioneer banned) but didn't have any manifests (pioneer legal)

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

kalel posted:

Probably not much, Khans of Tarkir is going to be draftable on Arena next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
fwiw i don't think we know yet if whatever the disguise mechanic is will actually be in the main set, just a theme for the commander precon (which iirc have used non-main-set mechanics before)