Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Kragger99 posted:

Moth Juice approved in Canada:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10149249/novavax-updated-covid-vaccine-health-canada-approval/?utm_source=site_banner

Nuvaxovid XBB.1.5 has been authorized for people ages 12 and older and is designed to protect against Omicron XBB.1.5 subvariants. It may be given to people who have been previously vaccinated or who have not previously had a shot, Health Canada said.

The updated vaccine stands apart from other COVID-19 shots, as it’s protein-based and does not use mRNA technology. These vaccines contain a modified version of the spike protein itself, unlike mRNA vaccines that have molecular manufacturing instructions for the body to make the spike protein.

Only one dose of the updated vaccine is needed for those Canadians who have already had their primary series, according to Health Canada. However, if you have previously not been vaccinated, you will need two doses of the primary series.

:canada:

Yess!!

That said I have no idea how much they'll gatekeep this, and if I'll be eligible before it becomes as irrelevant as the primary series. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

broke out one of my newer government provided RATs and its shockingly a low and slow. Brand is celltrion diatrust. blue and white box.

as reminder for anyone who hasn't: https://special.usps.com/testkits allows for 4 free tests.

I thought I had maxed out this free link already but I just did it again and I'm apparently good to get 4 more so that's cool.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

tangy yet delightful posted:

I thought I had maxed out this free link already but I just did it again and I'm apparently good to get 4 more so that's cool.

yeah, same this morning. I could have sworn we already did the latest batch. maybe they're not even gatekeeping addresses anymore. going back to try it again tomorrow

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

fosborb posted:

yeah, same this morning. I could have sworn we already did the latest batch. maybe they're not even gatekeeping addresses anymore. going back to try it again tomorrow

No, it says that these are available from Nov 20th or whatever, the last time was in Sept.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

tangy yet delightful posted:

fosborb posted:

Strep Vote posted:

No, it says that these are available from Nov 20th or whatever, the last time was in Sept.

Yup, 4 more from 20 November, see below:

Pingui posted:

More free tests.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/4-free-covid-tests-household-ahead-holidays/story?id=104989775 posted:

4 more free COVID tests will be available to each household ahead of the holidays
The winter season is expected to bring a resurgence of the virus.
(..)
The test ordering site relaunched last month, offering four tests per household, and will now offer an additional four tests per household for anyone who has already ordered -- or eight tests per household for anyone who hasn't placed an order yet this fall.

Since September, about 14.5 million households have ordered tests, for a total of 58 million tests shipped, according to the Administration for Strategic Preparedness and Response, or ASPR, a department within the Department of Health and Human Services.
(..)

Also pretty surprised by 14.5 million households having ordered free tests since September. I don't know the average US household size, but guesstimating that amounts to ~10% of the population.

I guess I wasn't super clear, though I did try to highlight that it was 8 total :shrug:

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
What's the deal with white lung.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
first of all, it's mild. wash your hands

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

nobody has white lung. also it's mild and endemic.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

LuxuryLarva posted:

As far as I can tell the going theory is an assortment of respiratory illnesses, possibly with mycoplasma pneumonia as the main driver. It doesn't seem like anyone is really giving a poo poo, so it is difficult to get more specific information.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Always a good sign that even as clinics and ER get slammed, nobody is awfully curious to find out more about what is going on

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

it's the lung you want to get

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
white, black, cheese

the three lung genders

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

LuxuryLarva posted:

Their first two albums are pretty sick but they didn't really hold onto the spark after that

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

silicone thrills posted:

broke out one of my newer government provided RATs and its shockingly a low and slow. Brand is celltrion diatrust. blue and white box.

as reminder for anyone who hasn't: https://special.usps.com/testkits allows for 4 free tests.

Seems right.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Pooky posted:

Seems right.

Make sure you don't misspell street as 'tsreet' or put a 0 in front of your apartment number

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
New post from Eric Topol on JN.1

https://erictopol.substack.com/p/from-a-detour-to-global-dominance

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/J0se/status/1731734238775701879

Grok is not good at this.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
ah yes the fact that a former official shared opinions about Covid is what’s pertinent, and not what those opinions were

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steve Yun posted:

ah yes the fact that a former official shared opinions about Covid is what’s pertinent, and not what those opinions were

I dare you to give a better summary of the former secretary’s thoughts.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Not normal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/05/business/covid-mask-n95.html posted:

Two N95 Companies Shut Down, as an Era Ends
Two mask companies are shutting down as a once sought-after item becomes an afterthought.

Two face mask providers say they are closing, as the slow and steady decline of what was once a much-sought-after item continues.

Project N95, a nonprofit that helped people buy protective equipment during the coronavirus pandemic, said Monday it would stop selling masks on Dec. 18 and wind down its operations. It said that revenues from mask sales and donations were no longer enough to support its operations. “Over time, we’ve seen reduced demand for masks,” said Anne Miller, the executive director. “It appears that people prefer to risk getting sick rather than taking precautions.”
(..)
Now almost four years later, masks have become an afterthought to most people, even as doctors say they can still have some value.
(..)
The looser rules nationwide encouraged more people to go without masks, and left holdouts feeling awkward about being the last one still masked up. “I feel now that I’m getting stares wearing the mask, and I’m not a paranoid person,” Andrew Gold, a Manhattan resident, said a year ago.
(..)

Normal.

https://www.dw.com/en/german-accused-of-founding-armed-group-to-fight-covid-rules/a-67642883 posted:

German accused of founding armed group to fight COVID rules
Prosecutors said a German man has been arrested in Portugal on suspicion of forming an armed group to oppose COVID-19 measures. The man reportedly believed the rules were being used as a pretext to abolish basic rights.

The arrested suspect had reportedly lost his job for refusing to wear a mask at work
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:brainworms:
"Long COVID is associated with severe cognitive slowing"

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.12.03.23299331v1 posted:

Abstract
Background COVID-19 survivors may suffer from a wide range of chronic cognitive symptoms for months or years as part of post-COVID-19 conditions (PCC). To date, there is no definitive objective cognitive marker for PCC. We hypothesised that a key common deficit in people with PCC might be generalised cognitive slowing.

Methods To examine cognitive slowing, PCC patients completed two short web-based cognitive tasks, Simple Reaction Time (SRT) and Number Vigilance Test (NVT). 270 patients diagnosed with PCC at two different clinics in UK and Germany were compared to two control groups: individuals who contracted COVID-19 before but did not experience PCC after recovery (No-PCC group) and uninfected individuals (No-COVID group).

Findings We identified pronounced cognitive slowing in PCC patients, which distinguished them from age-matched healthy individuals who previously had symptomatic COVID-19 but did not manifest PCC. Cognitive slowing was evident even on a 30-second task measuring simple reaction time (SRT), with PCC patients responding to stimuli ~3 standard deviations slower than healthy controls. This finding was replicated across two clinic samples in Germany and the UK. Comorbidities such as fatigue, depression, anxiety, sleep disturbance, and post-traumatic stress disorder did not account for the extent of cognitive slowing in PCC patients. Furthermore, cognitive slowing on the SRT was highly correlated with the poor performance of PCC patients on the NVT measure of sustained attention.

Interpretation Together, these results robustly demonstrate pronounced cognitive slowing in people with PCC, which distinguishes them from age-matched healthy individuals who previously had symptomatic COVID-19 but did not manifest PCC. This might be an important factor contributing to some of the cognitive impairments reported in PCC patients.
(..)

(..)

(..)

Pingui has issued a correction as of 12:38 on Dec 6, 2023

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Parity warning posted:

i got to live a thread classic anecdote yesterday where someone saw me in a mask, asked if i wasn't feeling well, i responded with something to the effect of no just trying to avoid that, they say "that's smart, definitely something going around right now"

i'll leave you with the incredibly suspenseful cliffhanger of whether they were wearing/put on a mask or not

also pay no mind to the several unmasked people around who are constantly coughing

I sort of get it, because I never really paid much attention to infectious disease before relatively recently. Then a couple things happened and I learned a little about how to not get a respiratory virus, so now I’m into that camp pretty hard and it works pretty well

The part that throws me is that, unless you’re a very small child, you were there too for those things that happened. You know people those things are still happening to, and odds are good that you’re one of them! I don’t have any special information that nobody else has access to, so it’s a little frustrating when somebody looks right at the thing they used to do to prevent a problem they still have and say “what’s that” or “wow I never thought to do that.” Yes you did, recently!

Like, yeah, media government capitalist society trained wrong as a joke etc, obviously, it’s just a little frustrating

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:brainworms: 2 (small n, unvaccinated mothers)
"Developmental impairment in children exposed during pregnancy to maternal SARS-COV2: A Brazilian cohort study."

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(23)00802-0/fulltext posted:

Highlights
• A prospective cohort of infants exposed to maternal SARS-CoV-2 intra uterus.
SARS-CoV-2 exposed infants had an increased risk of neurodevelopmental impairment.
Fine motor and personal-social were the subdomains most at risk of delay.
10% of exposed infants had an abnormal result at cranial sonography.

Abstract
Background
The effects of in-utero exposure to maternal SARS-CoV-2 infection on offspring's neurodevelopment are still unknown.

Methods
We performed a prospective cohort of babies exposed to SARS-CoV-2 during pregnancy, and a control group of unexposed babies in a low-income area in Brazil. Children's neurodevelopment was assessed using the guide for Monitoring Child Development in the IMCI context for both groups (at 1,2,3,4,5,6, 9 and 12 months), and the Ages & Stages Questionnaire (ASQ-3) for the exposed group (at 4, 6 and 12 months).

Results
We followed 127 children for one year, 69 in the COVID-19-exposed Group (EG), and 68 in the control group (CG). All mothers were unvaccinated at the time of cohort inclusion and maternal demographics were similar in the two groups. 20.3% of EG children and 5.9% of the CG received a diagnosis of neurodevelopmental delay within 12 months of life (p=0.013, RR= 3.44; 95% CI, 1.19- 9.95). For the exposed group, the prevalence of neurodevelopment impairment using ASQ-3 was 35.7% at 4 months, 7% at 6 months, and 32.1% at 12 months.

Conclusions
SARS-CoV-2 exposure was associated with neurodevelopmental impairment, and specific guidelines are needed for the follow-up of these high-risk children to mitigate the long-term effects on children's health.

I should note that considering the cohort is low-income in Brazil, I have some concerns about causation. Getting financially gutted by illness when you are already that poor, cannot possibly be good for a developing fetus. That said, the abnormal cranial sonography seems to indicate otherwise. I would also note that (without checking the specifics of the measurements), fine motor control being hosed could be in line with the study above showing poor reaction time in a PCC cohort.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

20.3% of EG children and 5.9% of the CG received a diagnosis of neurodevelopmental delay within 12 months of life (p=0.013, RR= 3.44; 95% CI, 1.19- 9.95).

Even the inside chance of twenty percent higher risk is bad enough, let alone the median two hundred and forty percent increase or the outside chance of ten times the risk.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

On a lighter note, somebody posted some on-sale auras a while ago and my girlfriend left some in the staff room at work and people actually took some, so thanks for helping that happen. They’re not using them at work, of course, but I’d rather people have a couple in the junk drawer than have nothing, especially this time of year

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

NeonPunk posted:

Always a good sign that even as clinics and ER get slammed, nobody is awfully curious to find out more about what is going on

counterpoint I was 1 of 9 patients on a floor of a hospital, and they had to discharge 8 on Saturday and they had to send a bunch of nurses home. where’s the cases???

it’s because I was on the “clean” floor nobody could get Covid from. literally told me that when they saw me wearing a Mask. did they test me, family, visitors, drs, food service people, any single person?

no

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

shazbot posted:

(..)
it’s because I was on the “clean” floor nobody could get Covid from.
(..)

The technical term is "a school".

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Pingui posted:

The technical term is "a school".

it was a learning hospital!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:denmark:

https://www-ssi-dk.translate.goog/s...&_x_tr_pto=wapp posted:

(..)
Summary of respiratory tract infections November 27-3. December
  • The number of covid-19 cases has increased further, while the number of people hospitalized with covid-19 is at the same level as last week. The incidence of SARS-CoV-2 in wastewater is increasing.
    The number of pertussis/whooping cough cases is at epidemic levels and there are no signs yet that the epidemic is abating.
    The number of mycoplasma cases continues to increase and is at an epidemic level.
    The number of RS virus cases is significantly increasing for the fourth week in a row.
    The number of flu cases is increasing significantly.
(..)
:crnasickos:

New COVID hospitalizations per week since 2020:

Source: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/220fef27d07d438889d651cc2e00076c/page/Covid-19-Regionalt/

Pertussis/whooping cough cases per month since 2010:

Source: https://www.ssi.dk/sygdomme-beredskab-og-forskning/sygdomsovervaagning/k/kighoste---overvaagning

Mycoplasma cases and percentage positive per week since 2015:

Source: https://www.ssi.dk/sygdomme-beredskab-og-forskning/sygdomsovervaagning/m/mycoplasma

New RSV hospitalizations per week since 2018:

Source: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/220fef27d07d438889d651cc2e00076c/page/RS-virus/

New influenza (A+B) hospitalizations per week since 2018:

Source: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/220fef27d07d438889d651cc2e00076c/page/Influenza-A-og-B-samlet/

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
looks like 2.5 years of Mycoplasma immunity debt there.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Pingui posted:

lol, yeah I don't think so.

lmao the part about it fueling inflation because it means companies are paying people more competitively. “look proles you should be working harder and longer hours so companies can pay you less” just saying the quiet part out loud.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Real Mean Queen posted:

I sort of get it, because I never really paid much attention to infectious disease before relatively recently. Then a couple things happened and I learned a little about how to not get a respiratory virus, so now I’m into that camp pretty hard and it works pretty well

The part that throws me is that, unless you’re a very small child, you were there too for those things that happened. You know people those things are still happening to, and odds are good that you’re one of them! I don’t have any special information that nobody else has access to, so it’s a little frustrating when somebody looks right at the thing they used to do to prevent a problem they still have and say “what’s that” or “wow I never thought to do that.” Yes you did, recently!

Like, yeah, media government capitalist society trained wrong as a joke etc, obviously, it’s just a little frustrating

Nothing could possibly disrupt Normal. Was Normal disrupted for a minute there? Best not to dwell on it. Normal is eternal. Nothing will ever change in this world.

This is why I don't even look at the climate change thread. This species will choke to death and with it's last desperate gasp it will say, "Hold on, lemme check my Crypto stonks real quick..."

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

LuxuryLarva posted:

immunity debt from taking asbestos out of buildings and/or children out of the mines

Also I refuse to fuckin’ contemplate the idea of mask bans but if it ever happens I guess I’m buying scrubs and stealing the poo poo out of healthcare hero valor every time I need to get groceries or whatever

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

shazbot posted:

it’s because I was on the “clean” floor nobody could get Covid from. literally told me that when they saw me wearing a Mask. did they test me, family, visitors, drs, food service people, any single person?

no

Just amazing. :allears:

I would have been so sarcastic if anyone said anything like that to me. "You have an agreement with the covid virus that it just skips this floor? How did you negotiate the terms? Did you speak directly to covid or is there some kind of virus ombudsman who handles this kind of thing?"

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Someone I was stuck in a meeting with in a small conference room yesterday is out today with a "nasty bug" he's getting some rest today but should be back tomorrow! Aura don't fail me now!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Hybrid Immunity is Back (note: you have to do the opposite of what everyone who says they have hybrid immunity does and actually continue to keep getting boosters)

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1732447948058096070

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

deadwing posted:

Hybrid Immunity is Back (note: you have to do the opposite of what everyone who says they have hybrid immunity does and actually continue to keep getting boosters)

They promised us that the hybrid immunity was robust! Robust!!!

Goddamn, there was a time where the phrase "robust hybrid immunity" featured in pretty much every article and news reports about covid

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
when they said robust hybrid immunity they were talking about how americans can't stop themselves from buying seven-foot-tall trucks

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

so....i SHOULD get covid.... interesting....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Day 3 of me not feeling like complete rear end, and I even walked a mile yesterday without any problems. So maybe I'm finally over whatever the hell that was.