Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Punished Ape posted:

Is this related to trying to equate the 'from the river to the sea' chant with calls for genocide?

I looked up the guy that tweeted it and

Bill Ackman posted:

In 2023, following the onset of the 2023 Israel–Hamas war, several Harvard undergraduate student groups signed a letter condemning the Israeli state. The statement held the "Israeli regime entirely responsible for all unfolding violence," declared that millions of Palestinians in Gaza have been "forced to live in an open-air prison," and called on Harvard to "take action to stop the ongoing annihilation of Palestinians." In response, Ackman called for the publication of the names of all students involved in signing the letter so that he could ensure his company and others do not "inadvertently hire" any of the signatories. Ackman posted, "One should not be able to hide behind a corporate shield when issuing statements supporting the actions of terrorists," and the names "should be made public so their views are publicly known".[84]

so I won't say definitely, but he sure doesn't seem to be neutral on I/P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

It’s a small camera on a stick coming out of a hidden underground spiderhole.

Not sure manning the ECP and maintaining 360 is gonna cover all your bases in that environment.

Fair, and something I hadn't considered.
I would have figured they would have checked for tunnels near their encampment, but I guess they are safely away from schools and hospitals.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

A.o.D. posted:

Lol

loving lmao

Why is that a "lol"? I don't know a lot about political stuff (I get most of my news from this thread and the CE thread), but the US funds a lot of terrible poo poo. I know every country probably does, but in the US, I'm getting the feeling we're not exactly the good guys.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BUUNNI posted:

Im planning to move out of the US precisely so my taxes don’t fund any more genocides, actually :v:

As an expat, I've got bad news for you re: paying US taxes while not living in the US.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Leave posted:

Why is that a "lol"? I don't know a lot about political stuff (I get most of my news from this thread and the CE thread), but the US funds a lot of terrible poo poo. I know every country probably does, but in the US, I'm getting the feeling we're not exactly the good guys.

Probably because

psydude posted:

As an expat, I've got bad news for you re: paying US taxes while not living in the US.

US citizens are taxed on their global income even if they live abroad

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Discussion Quorum posted:

US citizens are taxed on their global income even if they live abroad

That does assume that they intend to remain a US citizen, if they end up as a citizen of another nation, they could, presumably, apply to have their US citizenship annulled?

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
^^^^ETA: My dude if you think immigration if hosed in the US and A, good luck with any other developed country. Some countries have certain ways to get through roadblocks, but if you're just some non-millionaire rando in the general pool of people trying to immigrate to Switzerland or whatever, it's a total shitshow

A.o.D. posted:

Lol

loving lmao

gently caress, beaten.

Leave posted:

Two reasons.

First, it's part of this undercurrent of American Main Character Syndrome. Some Americans have decided that their country is the only which has any agency. And they fail to realize America isn't some special and unique evil in the world, it acts just like any other country and takes actions that are to its benefits just like every other country. Sometimes those actions are harmful to others (ex: Iraq invasion), sometimes it's beneficial to others (ex: US anti-piracy work).

It's also part of the same reactionary mindset that far-right American nationalists are constantly engaging in, they just move their nationalism to some "more worthy" country and swallow its propaganda as fully as any freerepublic posting-fox news watching red blooded USAian. It's basically like some guy in Pakistan watching 80s action movies and thinking America is paradise full of awesome heroes who save the world every day, just from the other direction.

Second, the USA still taxes its citizens who live abroad, so now you get to double dip on contributing to horrible poo poo lmao

Personally, I'm someone that moved to the US, so I don't think moving abroad is a bad thing in general. If you find life more personally satisfying in some other country, or there's opportunities there that you won't get in the US - go for it! Whether it's temporary or permanent there's tons of positive things to be said for experiencing a different country like that. But don't trick yourself into thinking that it's going to be morally purifying.

Dopilsya fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 6, 2023

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

PurpleXVI posted:

That does assume that they intend to remain a US citizen, if they end up as a citizen of another nation, they could, presumably, apply to have their US citizenship annulled?

In theory yes, although they got wise to that game a few years back and now:

https://common.usembassy.gov/en/renounce-citizenship/ posted:

Fee: Immediately prior to taking the oath of renunciation, you must pay the non-refundable fee of US $2,350 for administrative processing of a request for a Certificate of Loss of Nationality. The fee is not waivable, nor is it refundable if your request for a Certificate of Loss of Nationality is denied.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Yes, but there's a few technical problems with this:

1) This presumes that the person has obtained citizenship in another country, which can vary wildly in terms of the requirements of time in residence and language requirements.
2) The application fee to renounce your US citizenship is $2350. There's currently a lawsuit wending its way through the courts on this.
3) Once you're no longer a US person (e.g. citizen or resident), most banks and investment firms will no longer work with you. So this would mean transferring your funds to banks that do, or alternatively, transferring them out. When you transfer funds out of the US after giving up your citizenship, you're hit with an exit tax. If you keep your funds/retirement accounts/etc. in the US, then you'll continue to pay interest income and capital gains tax on those.

e:

Dopilsya posted:

^^^^ETA: My dude if you think immigration if hosed in the US and A, good luck with any other developed country. Some countries have certain ways to get through roadblocks, but if you're just some non-millionaire rando in the general pool of people trying to immigrate to Switzerland or whatever, it's a total shitshow

Yeah if we take a look at the list of English-speaking developed countries that have naturalized citizenship pathways, virtually 100% of them either require you to show up with a job offer in a critical skills field or lots of cash in hand. Almost all of them are closely aligned with the US from a defense and geopolitical perspective, and of the two that aren't, one (Singapore) is probably Israel's second closest ally behind the US, and the other (Ireland) is largely dependent upon large, multinational US firms that either did a tax inversion or base their EU operations there.

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 6, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hamas has listened to all of your concerns regarding the validity of their claims as to whether they actually got the tank or simply activated the anti-armor shielding or whatever and decided to start posing with their kills as proof

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Thank you for the answers. I didn't know that about tax stuff! I'm glad I asked; I'm sometimes afraid to ask things that I don't know because I don't want to be accused of a bad faith argument or something. I'm just an idiot, I swear!

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Al-Saqr posted:

Hamas has listened to all of your concerns regarding the validity of their claims as to whether they actually got the tank or simply activated the anti-armor shielding or whatever and decided to start posing with their kills as proof

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

psydude posted:

1) This presumes that the person has obtained citizenship in another country, which can vary wildly in terms of the requirements of time in residence and language requirements.

The US will still let you renounce even if you don't have another citizenship, that's why you can't renounce when in the US. You're someone else's problem if you make yourself stateless.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Dopilsya posted:

First, it's part of this undercurrent of American Main Character Syndrome. Some Americans have decided that their country is the only which has any agency. And they fail to realize America isn't some special and unique evil in the world, it acts just like any other country and takes actions that are to its benefits just like every other country. Sometimes those actions are harmful to others (ex: Iraq invasion), sometimes it's beneficial to others (ex: US anti-piracy work).

I dunno I'd say the size and reach and clout America has had over the last centruy, and the sheer amount of international fuckery they've pulled does actually make them fairly unique in the effect they've had globally.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I dunno I'd say the size and reach and clout America has had over the last centruy, and the sheer amount of international fuckery they've pulled does actually make them fairly unique in the effect they've had globally.

I might be misreading something or misunderstanding the argument, but that doesn't seem unique at all among other imperialist powers to me? Even limiting it to the last century, Britain and Germany have had outsized global effects.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 6, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Plenty of reasons why that was a lmao have already been mentioned, but let me do my own breakdown:

1. Wherever you want to go is probably not much better, you're just not aware of the particulars.

2. American immigration policy is terrible, most places are worse, if not outright impossible. Actual naturalization can be a nightmare.

3. You will be taxed no matter where you are, and if the US wants your money, they will take it and unless you go cash only, there's nothing you can do about it.

4. Just because you say "I'm not a US citizen" doesn't mean the US will agree with you. Uncle Sam gets final say, and there's no guarantee they'll allow you to renounce even if you file the paperwork. In fact if you plan on loudly denouncing US policy, or agitating against US interests, it's all but guaranteed that State isn't going to work with you.

Anyhow, I was just laughing at your naivety. By all means pursue whatever path your conscience dictates, just know that it probably isn't going to go the way you want.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

On my third tour, there was a guy who had been IRR recalled who denounced his citizenship rather than do another deployment. He had a German wife and had been living in Germany, and just stayed there.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

psydude posted:

A.o.D. posted:

Plenty of reasons why that was a lmao have already been mentioned, but let me do my own breakdown:

1. Wherever you want to go is probably not much better, you're just not aware of the particulars.

2. American immigration policy is terrible, most places are worse, if not outright impossible. Actual naturalization can be a nightmare.

3. You will be taxed no matter where you are, and if the US wants your money, they will take it and unless you go cash only, there's nothing you can do about it.

4. Just because you say "I'm not a US citizen" doesn't mean the US will agree with you. Uncle Sam gets final say, and there's no guarantee they'll allow you to renounce even if you file the paperwork. In fact if you plan on loudly denouncing US policy, or agitating against US interests, it's all but guaranteed that State isn't going to work with you.

Anyhow, I was just laughing at your naivety. By all means pursue whatever path your conscience dictates, just know that it probably isn't going to go the way you want.

I'm fortunate enough to be a dual citizen. The pension I get every month is also considered non-taxable income. I can effectively retire and not pay any US taxes. The country I'm moving to also uses the dollar so I can live a very comfortable life without having to work. I've already done this for several years without any issues.

Anyway sorry for the dumb derail but drat it feels good to have this option available.

BUUNNI fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 6, 2023

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

bulletsponge13 posted:

On my third tour, there was a guy who had been IRR recalled who denounced his citizenship rather than do another deployment. He had a German wife and had been living in Germany, and just stayed there.

Plenty of non-citizens join the military, so I can't imagine that worked.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

McNally posted:

It's not like his branch of service would ask Interpol to put out an international warrant for this guy's arrest for being a deserter. Even if they did do that, he could just... avoid getting arrested by German police :confused:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BUUNNI posted:

I'm fortunate enough to be a dual citizen. The pension I get every month is also considered non-taxable income. I can effectively retire and not pay any US taxes. The country I'm moving to also uses the dollar so I can live a very comfortable life without having to work.

Anyway sorry for the dumb derail but drat it feels good to have this option available.

Well then it sounds like a lot of the immigration hurdles have been removed. But fair warning: even if your pension is non-taxable, you'll still be required to file a US (and possibly state, depending upon where you're domiciled) tax return annually along with probably an FBAR and possibly a FACTA, depending upon how much money you're planning to keep in foreign bank accounts. Additionally, if you take out a mortgage on an overseas property denominated in the local currency and then refinance, the IRS will assess a capital gain if the currency has weakened against the USD. Unfortunately it doesn't work in the opposite direction, where the USD has weakened against the local currency. The US really doesn't like it when its citizens move away.

If you give up your citizenship, then this isn't an issue, but it might complicate your pension (assuming it's a US pension). I'd consult an accountant for sure if that's your plan.

e: Just saw your thing about the local currency being the dollar. That'll definitely save you some headaches when it comes to FX, but depending on the country you're moving to you'd probably want an offshore bank unless the local banking system is stable.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 6, 2023

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

psydude posted:

Well then it sounds like a lot of the immigration hurdles have been removed. But fair warning: even if your pension is non-taxable, you'll still be required to file a US (and possibly state, depending upon where you're domiciled) tax return annually along with probably an FBAR and possibly a FACTA, depending upon how much money you're planning to keep in foreign bank accounts. Additionally, if you take out a mortgage on an overseas property denominated in the local currency and then refinance, the IRS will assess a capital gain if the currency has weakened against the USD. Unfortunately it doesn't work in the opposite direction, where the USD has weakened against the local currency. The US really doesn't like it when its citizens move away.

If you give up your citizenship, then this isn't an issue, but it might complicate your pension (assuming it's a US pension). I'd consult an accountant for sure if that's your plan.

e: Just saw your thing about the local currency being the dollar. That'll definitely save you some headaches when it comes to FX.

Yep, it's awesome and I'm very fortunate that I can actually do this. Plus living expenses, food, medical care, and pretty much everything is cheaper and better there, with the sole exception of like electronics and high-tier consumer goods. I'll hand it to the US there, Americans have much greater access to consumer goods market but to me it's just not worth it.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I fuckin wish there was a big lever I could pull to check out of imperialism but it's not that easy lol

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

McNally posted:

It did work. There is a difference between a non-citizen, and forcing a Non-Citizen to serve in a war.
That batch of IRR was slated like 2000 men for induction training; less than 300 showed up. Several of the guys who deployed with us only did so because they would lose their civilian Jon's if they didn't.

I think he had already applied for German citizenship, but I'm not sure.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Lists and rankings are just exercises in the measurement of dicks and dickery. They are fun, but trying to label whomever as the mostest ever breaks down pretty quick and just opens the door to whataboutism.

That being said, whatever the American empire actually constitutes, the sun does still set upon it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We are watching right now what happens when US hegemony looks even a little wobbly and it absolutely sucks for large numbers of people all around the world.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Alchenar posted:

We are watching right now what happens when US hegemony looks even a little wobbly and it absolutely sucks for large numbers of people all around the world.

US hegemony working efficiently also sucks for a large number of people all around the world though.

actual related content:

https://twitter.com/elicoh1/status/1718014116231602565

BUUNNI fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 7, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Lots of states have dual taxation treaties that basically stipulate "if you are a citizen/permanent resident of both, you may deduct your taxes paid to one from your tax liability to the other". So if i wound up in Sri Lanka, I could choose to pay all my income taxes to Sri Lanka, a good country that has never engaged in war crimes, rather than to the US. or i could pay most of my income taxes to the US, a bad country, and the remainder to Sri Lanka

Flavor to taste for your particular immigration needs.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

BUUNNI posted:

US hegemony working efficiently also sucks for a large number of people all around the world though.

actual related content:

https://twitter.com/elicoh1/status/1718014116231602565

poo poo, we wiped out isis?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Google Jeb Bush posted:

So if i wound up in Sri Lanka, I could choose to pay all my income taxes to Sri Lanka, a good country that has never engaged in war crimes, rather than to the US. or i could pay most of my income taxes to the US, a bad country, and the remainder to Sri Lanka

I regret to inform you that you may need to Google the Tamil Tigers.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Lots of states have dual taxation treaties that basically stipulate "if you are a citizen/permanent resident of both, you may deduct your taxes paid to one from your tax liability to the other". So if i wound up in Sri Lanka, I could choose to pay all my income taxes to Sri Lanka, a good country that has never engaged in war crimes, rather than to the US. or i could pay most of my income taxes to the US, a bad country, and the remainder to Sri Lanka

ah yes, just giving my tax money to the good states. How novel. lol

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Ahahahahshahshagalolololobingo.

Probably a fake post but still hilarious.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Is this the 2023 version of "IF TRUMP WINS I'M MOVING TO CANADA, A GOOD COUNTRY WHERE NOTHING BAD EVER HAPPENS" or something?

Because much like how lol I had bad news for those folks about the state of social and racial justice in Canada, lol I have bad news about every developed country ever

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You also don't need to pay US federal taxes as an expat unless you're making a staggering amount of money. I think there are some states that require you to pay state taxes no matter what though.

There's always that one dick at the bar humblebragcomplaining that he has to pay US income tax.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 7, 2023

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

You also don't need to pay US federal taxes as an expat unless you're making a staggering amount of money. I think there are some states that require you to pay state taxes no matter what though.

There's always that one dick at the bar humblebragcomplaining that he has to pay US income tax.

I paid US income tax as an ESL teacher in Egypt making not even US minimum wage (but enough to live like a god-king in Egypt). Uncle Sam will always have a hand in your pocket.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I paid US income tax as an ESL teacher in Egypt making not even US minimum wage (but enough to live like a god-king in Egypt). Uncle Sam will always have a hand in your pocket.

You shouldn't have. The exemption changes yearly based on inflation but it's been six figures for a while. You can choose to not take the exemption if you want to pay taxes for some reason. Only people I knew in Asia who paid US taxes were engineers.

E: Maybe there's some sort of "gently caress Egypt in particular" exemption for the tax home thing? The IRS site seems pretty clear that if you're working abroad for a full year and making under $120,000 you don't have to pay income tax.

Not trying to dig at you or anything, it's the past so doesn't matter. Just much different than my expat experience and, as far as I can tell, what the IRS says.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 7, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Lord Awkward posted:

I looked up the guy that tweeted it and

so I won't say definitely, but he sure doesn't seem to be neutral on I/P

Ackman lost literally one billion dollars betting against the idiocy of his fellow man by shorting herbalife. He should know better by now.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Only people I knew in Asia who paid US taxes were engineers.

Which makes sense if you plan to rotate back to the States and don't want ?!? years of unfucking your obligations to the IRS. Everybody else just slushes through two friendly offshores and calls it a day.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

bloody ghost titty posted:

Which makes sense if you plan to rotate back to the States and don't want ?!? years of unfucking your obligations to the IRS. Everybody else just slushes through two friendly offshores and calls it a day.

More that everybody else I know makes well under $100,000 so doesn't owe anything.

Paying Korean taxes feels less bad since you get to go to the doctor and there are trains and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dopilsya posted:

^^^^ETA: My dude if you think immigration if hosed in the US and A, good luck with any other developed country.

There's something in the internet water that has people convinced that other nations don't hate immigrants even more than the US and it's the guiltiest feeling of schadenfreude when you see them find out