Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
goddamn gleeful burger rear end soldier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

:911: :patriot: :burger:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

Star trek still has a narrative, its a subset of neoliberalism: Tech will fix all problems

St referencing climate change was to say that we must fund space exploration so we find alien technology that will allow us to fix things

Magic future technology that doesn't exist yet will solve all our problems.

In the future we'll also all be magically fit and attractive with zero physical effort despite gorging ourselves on delicious treats the robot makes for us out of thin air.

That's the true appeal of hamburger spaceship with hotdog engine nacelles.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

DancingShade posted:

Magic future technology that doesn't exist yet will solve all our problems.

In the future we'll also all be magically fit and attractive with zero physical effort despite gorging ourselves on delicious treats the robot makes for us out of thin air.

That's the true appeal of hamburger spaceship with hotdog engine nacelles.

the booze is only intoxicating if you want to get drunk, the food only has calories if you need the energy. simple as

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Ardennes posted:

The US was friendly with the Russians from the late 1980s to the late 90s, they were still the Russians. Generally from that point the Klingons either get ignored or more negative bit portrayals (Worf is in Picard, but I don't think there is a single line about anything going on with them or their culture).

The Klingons were in Discovery, but Discovery sucked so don't worry about it

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Also, Borg ftw

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Good thing nobody ever used the space teleportation wizard device to just beam everyone they didn't like into a sun.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lmao, I was sent to belize for 3 months to help in a training mission once and the army shipped a trailer to function as a shoppette for the duration of the exercise. They also shipped out two hispanics to run it.

It was actually pretty well stocked throughout the exercise and it and the local pizzeria next to the barracks were only solace from MREs and UGRs in the months we were there. We actually had british and australian troops come in and use it because theirs sucked.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Alright this is my cover to go full blast on Star Trek here.

This whole Trekapoolza kicked off from us watching Lower Decks which we enjoyed and made my wife want to dig into all of Star Trek since we've got a paramont sub at the moment. I've always been aware of Trek and around it while not liking much of it except the Wrath of Khan (which is loving awesome and the best drat space naval movie ever) and some of the old original series was cool. Lower Decks was good but was also absurdly America-centric for a supposed space multi-planet organization. In one episode they were talking about the California class of ships getting replaced by the Arizona class and I thought if I get yoinked to a far star faring future and have to think about loving Arizona ever just kill me first.

The federation is definitely heavy on liberal smug, but it's actually way worse in next generation which we bounced off of (I've never liked next gen though and yes that's nerd heresy). We still get plenty of federation lecturing people about how much better they are and how they practice the good ethical imperialism. At least on ds9 so far the feds have been less violent as next gen has an awful lot of blowing poo poo up while being smug about being so peaceful. DS9 also benefits from being more slice of life and having plenty of focus on non-federation people. I didn't watch much ds9 at all back in the 90s but we've been enjoying it. Besides some next gen before this we watched Discovery (bad), Strange New Worlds (loved), some original series (still cool).

The feds are definitely America and not the UN at all because it is absolutely dominated by humans and Americans in particular and they just have the occasional non-human person like a NATO soldier on an exchange program. It's a multi planet organization in the same way NATO is multinational but is really America and its clients. At least ds9 has had ship names that weren't just American or British names.

I thought the Bajorans seemed more like space Muslims until they introduced nurse Ratched who is a Christian fundie so they can have their tedious Footloose plot. Americans have to do the religious 'you can't dance in our town!!' vs the kids who just wanna dance across all time and space and its always very boring. Though them being Jewish would fit in that the show actually does respect their religion. As far as I can remember every other religious group gets lots of eye rolling internet atheism style except the space elves/Jews the Vulcans.

Klingons have always been bad and boring, but so far ds9 has been blessedly free of them except a good seven samurai episode where they were basically dwarves anyway. Space orcs that are just stab and yell are just so boring and dumb especially when they aren't supposed to have been uplifted like the krogan. I liked them better when they were shifty treacherous orientals in the original series. Unfortunately, Worf just showed up and we had a klingon war so we might be in for lots of klingon poo poo.

Also, why does every single space faring race have sexual dimorphism with larger males (isn't the opposite in non-primates more common? You'd think the occasional alien would be) and most have some degree of patriarchy? Such a lack of imagination by the writers. Klingon women don't fight and have dodgy inheritance rules. Holy poo poo :females: is painful which is a shame because I sometimes like the episodes about space goblins (I'll call them charitably instead of antisemitic trope). The Trill apparently just had their hillary clinton like a short while ago despite seemingly being space faring for centuries. We've had a singular matriarchy and the writers were too lazy to change much about their social interactions (the boisterous teenager causing problems and acting arrogant is still a dude). The cardassians were boringly patriarchy but recently they introduced idea that women dominate certain fields at least.

Like I forgive a lot on old Trek because I know it was the 60s and people were like 'omg you put women on the bridge?!?' but this poo poo is in the 90s come on.

Ardennes posted:

The Klingons are the Russians, basically, they are saying Russian expansionism dies or so will Russia.

The Federation is an idealized version of America, that its expansion is good because its morals are superior, unlike the other powers who are always evil. Occasionally, the Federation needs to fight to "right the Alpha quadrant" and "keep prepared." While "Bugmen" occasionally pop up (usually alien foreigners or humans from the past), the Federation is essence Fukuyama's dream. The Federation is all powerful, and its expansion is protected by moral values, occasionally fighting wars, all of which they can win.

When Gowron attacks DS9, there are Gatling gun torpedo launchers proving to be invincible wunderwaffle.

lol we just watched that episode where you also have the absurdity where warrior race klingons who can't stop fighting each other in melee constantly (how does this work for klingon doctors and academics) get owned by random out of shape federation (American) assholes, who spend all their time pushing buttons, in hand to hand combat. For being space orcs these klingon guys are awfully bad at war.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the only scifi that should be allowed to be discussed in this thread is LOGH and mobile suit gundam

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Stairmaster posted:

the only scifi that should be allowed to be discussed in this thread is LOGH and mobile suit gundam

armored trooper votoms

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Star trek ships really lacked the authenticity of an on board McDonald's filled with a bunch of randoms in camoflauge stuffing their faces.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

PhilippAchtel posted:

The Klingons were in Discovery, but Discovery sucked so don't worry about it

Right, but weren't they almost completely different? That they took the idea of Klingons existing and made them space monsters? It is a bit weird too because Worf came back and still looked like Worf.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Discovery Klingons were chuds

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Discovery Klingons were chuds

Even Star Wars is better about its own internal canon, and it isn't great.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

It's actually Dougram.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ardennes posted:

Right, but weren't they almost completely different? That they took the idea of Klingons existing and made them space monsters? It is a bit weird too because Worf came back and still looked like Worf.

The Klingons changing in appearance and mannerisms from the 60s to the 90s and then I guess again in the 2010s is addressed in universe as some kind of plague.

Which is another point against trying to justify changes from real world production and costuming within the show's universe instead of just ignoring it and moving on. That's the reason Discovery klingons don't look like Worf, I forget if they carried it over to Strange New Worlds or even if there were klingons depicted in SNW at all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/orikron/status/1732553751410467197?t=AMMg5CmSyC22Goug_R63cg&s=19

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

skooma512 posted:

The Klingons changing in appearance and mannerisms from the 60s to the 90s and then I guess again in the 2010s is addressed in universe as some kind of plague.

Which is another point against trying to justify changes from real world production and costuming within the show's universe instead of just ignoring it and moving on. That's the reason Discovery klingons don't look like Worf, I forget if they carried it over to Strange New Worlds or even if there were klingons depicted in SNW at all.

SNW Klingons are more or less 90s Klingons.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

skooma512 posted:

Yeah, but the change from the 60s and 90s was just an issue of practical resources; they couldn't do all the make-up and prosthetics back then while in Discovery they said just screw it. Also, if it was true, it meant that the Klingons looked like regular Klingons in Enterprise, became space monsters in Discovery (maybe a hundred years later?), like 10 years later just looked like Humans with make-up in TOS, and then maybe 10-20 years later looked like they did back in Enterprise (and I guess stayed that way). Paramount just didn't care.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:48 on Dec 7, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

https://theintercept.com/2023/12/06/pentagon-military-failures-waste/

I think the report has been posted before but I was amused by this

quote:

Among those issues made public, the inspector general found that heavy artillery howitzer cannons and dozens of Hummers destined for Ukraine required significant repairs and had not been properly maintained. The report noted that the contractors paid by the government had failed to provide upkeep on critical military equipment that could have just as easily been used by the U.S. military.

The inspector general also found that Pentagon officials did not always explain the payments they made when terminating contractors’ projects, potentially overpaying contractors to the tune of $22 million

US equipment reserves looking good

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Stairmaster posted:

Reinhard von Lohengramm was a benevolent military leader

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i think most of discoveries issue was they were essentially resetting star trek but then chickened out at the last minute, this might even be why they lost Fuller as show runner. So then they kinda just half assed it where stuff was now breaking canon. I think they would have been better not being cowards, and actually rebooted it. People would have still cried about them dancing on trek's grave but they'd have gotten over it and then it could have lived or died on its own merits.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

FuzzySlippers posted:

https://theintercept.com/2023/12/06/pentagon-military-failures-waste/

I think the report has been posted before but I was amused by this

US equipment reserves looking good

I think it was war nerd who predicted that quartermasters around the world would use the Ukraine donations as an excuse to get rid of the hangar queens and unrepairable lemons that take up all their time at the moment.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

err posted:

Space bin Laden did nothing wrong!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.flightglobal.com/fixed-wing/lockheed-martin-sues-f-35-supplier-over-refusal-to-deliver-titanium-components/156127.article

Lockheed Martin sues F-35 supplier over refusal to deliver titanium components
By Ryan Finnerty7 December 2023

F-35 factory
Source: Lockheed Martin

The F-35 prime contractor alleges ones of its sub-contractors, Pittsburgh-based Howmet Aerospace, breached its contract with Lockheed when the metallic components supplier refused to deliver titanium parts for the advanced stealth jet at previously agreed upon prices.
Sorry we can't deliver your just in time military at the previously agreed rate.

I guess the Russian sanctions are biting in reverse yet again.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I think it was war nerd who predicted that quartermasters around the world would use the Ukraine donations as an excuse to get rid of the hangar queens and unrepairable lemons that take up all their time at the moment.

if I was better at memes I would post an oops all lemons here

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

DancingShade posted:

https://www.flightglobal.com/fixed-wing/lockheed-martin-sues-f-35-supplier-over-refusal-to-deliver-titanium-components/156127.article

F-35 factory

The F-35 prime contractor alleges ones of its sub-contractors, Pittsburgh-based Howmet Aerospace, breached its contract with Lockheed when the metallic components supplier refused to deliver titanium parts for the advanced stealth jet at previously agreed upon prices.
Sorry we can't deliver your just in time military at the previously agreed rate.

one weird trick…

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

FuzzySlippers posted:

The report noted that the contractors paid by the government had failed to provide upkeep on critical military equipment that could have just as easily been used by the U.S. military.

If only the military could somehow provide their own upkeep....

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

F-35 factory

Free PFC

Pittsburgh Fighter Components

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

If only the military could somehow provide their own upkeep....

sounds like what a commie would say to deny a freedom worker their chance to increase their gig app rating

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

DancingShade posted:

The crew are often shown doing exercises, and they speak about improving themselves on a mental, physical, and philosophical level. Mostly in TNG iirc.

Unfortunately this gets forgotten by most writers most of the time, and the zeitgeist of liberalism suffuses itself into media that was supposed to be better.

err posted:

Too bad he was stabbed in the back by those intergalactic bankers with the strange religion.

This is the real litmus test we need to keep an eye on. When America can no longer Burger, it will signal the true end of the empire.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Stairmaster posted:

:hmmyes:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Votskomit posted:

The crew are often shown doing exercises, and they speak about improving themselves on a mental, physical, and philosophical level. Mostly in TNG iirc.

Unfortunately this gets forgotten by most writers most of the time, and the zeitgeist of liberalism suffuses itself into media that was supposed to be better.

Too bad he was stabbed in the back by those intergalactic bankers with the strange religion.

This is the real litmus test we need to keep an eye on. When America can no longer Burger, it will signal the true end of the empire.

so go the Treats, so goes the Empire.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1732175518886236475

if the us had kept the egyptian m1 production line online it would have had a capacity of three engines a month lol

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Votskomit posted:

loving Terraists...always trying to use papist dogma to to restore the Roman Emp--

er, I mean Earth to it's former glory as the center of human civilization

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Hatebag posted:

there's definitely some japanese stuff going on with the klingons too. and i think the federation typically behaves more like a midpoint between the un and nato. nothing is really a 1:1 analog though. even the cardassians aren't perfect representations of israelis. plus the shows were all written by different people and produced by a series of degenerate abusive cokeheads so the uh racial characterizations aren't 100% consistent either

Yeah, nailing any of the Races down to one culture in Star Trek doesn't really work. Kingons Are Feudal Samurai Viking Russians. Vulcans are Japanese Roman Greek Philosophers. Romulans are Chinese Roman Spartans. Bajorans are Midwestern Jewish Palestinians. Cardassians are Italian Fascist Nazi Japanese Imperialist Israelis. Ferengi are...a number of unfortunate stereotypes mashed together with American capitalists.

That's something I like about them actually. It makes them more well rounded and believable.

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 09:14 on Dec 7, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Yeah, nailing any of the Races down to one culture in Star Trek doesn't really work. Kingons Are Feudal Samurai Viking Russians. Vulcans are Japanese Roman Greek Philosophers. Romulans are Chinese Roman Spartans. Bajorans are Midwestern Jewish Palestinians. Cardassians are Italian Fascist Nazi Japanese Imperialist Israelis. Ferengi are...a number of unfortunate stereotypes mashed together with American capitalists.

That's something I like about them actually. It makes them more well rounded and believable.

Remember, Russians were also thought of as Asian drunken aggressive brutes so it is saying more about how American writers thought of them than their own culture. Also, yeah the Bajorans are specifically supposed to be Israelis, not necessarily Jews. Remember also, back in the 1990s, Palestinians were only terrorists and only Israelis were spiritual freedom fighters.

Basically, it is a mess because the stereotypes they are pulling from are non-sensical and often made up.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 09:39 on Dec 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Cardassians are Italian Fascist Nazi Japanese Imperialist Israelis.

This seems fairly consistent