Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

redshirt posted:

From my recollection, Ra is almost never discussed. He's like a non-factor.

Not quite, the Tok'ra are named because they opposed Ra. The fallout from his death incites the various system lord feuds we see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Well, they were clearly already feuding anyway, lots of references to earlier battles between them over thousands of years, but in a pretty complacent way before Ra atomized and freed up a bunch of territory.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

EvilHawk posted:

Fred Willard is great but the story suuuuucks. It's all "You owe your shitbag dad your love and attention even though he abandoned you repeatedly because sometimes he made you feel nice and bought you stuff."

The twist at the end kind of makes up for it though, but still just a bad story.

On to the films now, then a little break before I start Atlantis. I think I've only seen them both once.

wait films? was there tv movies made? im only in s8 or 9

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Stargate Origins is a short series that goes more into what happened before the main events of the original movie.

Stargate: The Ark of Truth takes place right after the end of SG-1 S10 and Atlantis S3.

Stargate: Continuum is after Atlantis S4.

Origins was a web series, the others are TV movies

stringless fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 30, 2023

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

snergle posted:

wait films? was there tv movies made? im only in s8 or 9

Yeah Ark of Truth and Continuum as FFT mentions. Ark of Truth wraps up the later season's plotlines (and isn't that great tbh). Continuum is a bit more wacky and feels like a two-parter TV episode. It's fun.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ark of Truth is very much required it basically condenses the plans for S11 and 12 into a single movie, it's rough because of that. They do well for covering so much ground.
Continuum is probably one of the most fun things Stargate made. The plot ends up not really effecting much so even if there was more you *could* skip it but it would be a crime to watch everything and not watch it.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Man the Atlantis crew really genocided those Asurans hard. Buncha war criminals imo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

Ark of Truth is very much required it basically condenses the plans for S11 and 12 into a single movie, it's rough because of that. They do well for covering so much ground.
Continuum is probably one of the most fun things Stargate made. The plot ends up not really effecting much so even if there was more you *could* skip it but it would be a crime to watch everything and not watch it.

From what I read, even though for previous seasons they were ready to be cancelled/for the show to end, they weren't for Season 10, and got caught by surprise. That's why the last episode of the show, while very good, leaves all kinds of ongoing plotlines open.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah Ark of Truth and Continuum as FFT mentions. Ark of Truth wraps up the later season's plotlines (and isn't that great tbh). Continuum is a bit more wacky and feels like a two-parter TV episode. It's fun.

Continuum loving slaps, though I am a mark for pretty much any alternate reality sci-fi, especially when it comes to SG-1

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

MakaVillian posted:

Continuum loving slaps, though I am a mark for pretty much any alternate reality sci-fi, especially when it comes to SG-1

Plus Daniel swears!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. Just finished SG-1 S10 and 3/4 through Atlantis S2 (currently on the submersible episode)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FFT posted:

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. Just finished SG-1 S10 and 3/4 through Atlantis S2 (currently on the submersible episode)

Hell yeah brother! Cheers from SG-13!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Unrelated, The Man from Earth is probably my all-time favorite movie, and on this rewatch I realized Stargate has two actors from it:

I knew John Billingsley played Coombs in The Other Guys, but also Tony Todd played Haikon in the Sodan episodes.

I probably noticed on my last watch, but also they're three seasons apart.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Felger and Coombs, The Other Guys.

Coombs is OK, Felger is....

The Felger dedicated episode, with the Avenger virus, and the assistant, and Sam, and I don't like to use the word cringe, but...

Also, for the record, Dr Lee is not one of the comedy joke scientists until several episodes after his introduction.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It's absolutely intended. They did a darker version with Kavanagh in Atlantis (just recently saw the episode where they think he could be the Trust mole)

Like the only scientist almost-main character that really comes out looking good in the whole series is Zelenka

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Good old Zelenka.

[guy who doesn't know Zelenka's native language after he dishes everything on Atlantis in a recording to his family] Was any of that classified information?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I love Zelenka, he should be in charge of engineering at Atlantis, not Mckay.

Heroes Part 1 is on Comet now, but part 2 won't air till Monday morning. Dr. Frazier!!!!!

Also, Survivor is also part of the SG1 universe. Direct reference at the beginning of the episode.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Teal'c would absolutely love Survivor, quoting Jeff at hilarious times off-world. Jack would make absolutely sure that, under pain of death by his hands, slowly, no one at SGC tells Teal'c about all the editing and kayfabe.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Teal'c would absolutely love Survivor, quoting Jeff at hilarious times off-world. Jack would make absolutely sure that, under pain of death by his hands, slowly, no one at SGC tells Teal'c about all the editing and kayfabe.

Sandra is clearly the superior Survivor.

- Teal'c

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
watching a few episodes and do they ever go back to that unas slaver world where daniels unas friend is hopefully a sucessful nat turner / john brown

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

snergle posted:

watching a few episodes and do they ever go back to that unas slaver world where daniels unas friend is hopefully a sucessful nat turner / john brown

his friend comes back but I don’t think they go back to overt slavery metaphor world

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

I don't think we see them go back, but there's a Season 7 episode where Daniel brings Chaka (his Unas friend) to a different plant that has Unas, where Earth wants to mine naquadah but the Unas see it as a holy site. It's mentioned that there are societal changes back on slaver planet.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

I don't think we see them go back, but there's a Season 7 episode where Daniel brings Chaka (his Unas friend) to a different plant that has Unas, where Earth wants to mine naquadah but the Unas see it as a holy site. It's mentioned that there are societal changes back on slaver planet.

Chaka sooouuu

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

A bit strange how the resolution to that episode was "how about a bit of light and respectful slavery instead of outright genocide?"

Also it's got Michael Rooker as the commanding officer that constantly insists on genocide lol

S07E07: Enemy Mine

stringless fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 4, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FFT posted:

A bit strange how the resolution to that episode was "how about a bit of light and respectful slavery instead of outright genocide?"

Also it's got Michael Rooker as the commanding officer that constantly insists on genocide lol

S07E07: Enemy Mine

Yeah, an odd ending, but it's the Unas's idea to work the mines. I just watched it the other day, the reaction of the various SG people is like..... well, we didn't expect that, but if you want to.....

Col. Rooker learns some respect by the end.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
huh i must of missed that one or im not as far as i thought

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

redshirt posted:

Yeah, an odd ending, but it's the Unas's idea to work the mines. I just watched it the other day, the reaction of the various SG people is like..... well, we didn't expect that, but if you want to.....

Col. Rooker learns some respect by the end.

This, it's not slavery. The Unas know about the Goa'uld, and they want to help in the war. Maybe in the long run they'd join up as soldiers but our cultures are too far apart and we barely understand their language and culture anyway, but they still want to do what they can to assist, soooo

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Man, I feel like the creature effects in Season 10 didn't hold up even at the time, between the bear and the dragon.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

FFT posted:

Man, I feel like the creature effects in Season 10 didn't hold up even at the time, between the bear and the dragon.

I don't remember a Bear but, yep, the Dragon was awful. To be honest that entire dip into the fantasy genre didn't work for me at all.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't remember a Bear but, yep, the Dragon was awful. To be honest that entire dip into the fantasy genre didn't work for me at all.

I don't remember a bear either.

The dragon I just shrugged off since it's clearly supposed to be some kind of a hologram anyways.

As for the King Arthur stuff, yeah, it's cheesy and hokey, but I liked it. I liked how it tied into the religious vibe of the Ori, and all those medieval towns and peons.

It also fits long standing SG tradition of tying aliens and some historical Earth culture. Ancients become the legends of Arthur. Why not!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Too bad Ba'al never took over Earth. He seems like he would have reinvented the Goa'uld System Lords into being OCP executives and turned the Jaffa into PMCs.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Too bad Ba'al never took over Earth. He seems like he would have reinvented the Goa'uld System Lords into being OCP executives and turned the Jaffa into PMCs.

I loved Ba'al, and specifically that plot. CEO Ba'al, engaging in hostile corporate takeovers. It was a perfect way to use a Goa'uld.

Wasn't there another (maybe 2 more) corporate Goa'ulds? There was the tech guy who was dying so got a snake put in him; there was lady Goa'uld who was running some company (was she working with ba'al?)....

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

^^Athena!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I could see him Trumping his way into the oval office if he was left alone in s9.

Anyway is there a reason Ronon is so tremendously bland? Did the writers, Momoa or both suck?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't remember a Bear

redshirt posted:

I don't remember a bear either.
S10E05 - Uninvited - wherein mysteriously violent creatures are slaughtering people on some other planet and also loving up Mitchell and Landry's little relaxing getaway in the woods.

It wasn't necessarily a bear to begin with, tbf.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FFT posted:

S10E05 - Uninvited - wherein mysteriously violent creatures are slaughtering people on some other planet and also loving up Mitchell and Landry's little relaxing getaway in the woods.

It wasn't necessarily a bear to begin with, tbf.

Oh yeah, the bears that got some kind of subspace worm in them that turned them into mutated monsters.

Or, AKA Landry and Cam cooped up at O'Neill's camp, The Episode.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Leandros posted:

^^Athena!

I could see him Trumping his way into the oval office if he was left alone in s9.

Anyway is there a reason Ronon is so tremendously bland? Did the writers, Momoa or both suck?

A bit of both. Momoa is very good at the "Big loving badass dude who can beat the poo poo out of the physical threat of the week", but he's not exactly a great actor.
This doesn't mean he's a bad, or middling actor - he just knows what he excels at, and doesn't try to break that in a show that asks him to be just that.

The character isn't super deep though, or unique: "I've lost my family, I'll have my vengeance, the quirky yet noble humans will warm my cold broken heart, etc etc" - nothing that hasn't been done before.

Needed a bit more spice somewhere

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

I mean sure the backstory sucks but I mean his general demeanour. 90% of the time he's just gruff and looks at anyone like he's raring to fight. Teal'c was a warrior but at least he could smile for reasons other than fantasizing about shooting people.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Momoa is kind of the Arnold replacement that just got huge (in more ways than one) just about 5 years too late. Like Momoa's already done Conan, and I could kind of see him in a lot of past Arnold roles like Running Man, Terminator, etc. more than Dwayne Johnson.

edit: Ronan also feels like you have a problem with having both he and Teyla filling the role of 'outsider with awesome combat abilities that surpass every Tau'ri and have unique Wraith connections' so I don't know if they wanted to have his character lean more alienated while she was the one who was more sociable with Earth crew.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ronon doesn't like poor Michael. That's a character trait.

As usual, an episode where I say out loud: "Shut up Rodney!"