Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I guess I missed that scene in part 5.

EDIT: I'm going to keep this post as is. Part 5 of what?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When Evil Lurks is somewhat grim.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm starting my Alienated feature campaign tomorrow. I won't post the link here for uh, obvious reasons. SA's history with crowdfunding is very bad lol.

I'll post an email you can email me at and I can make a big ol mailing list once I figure that out if you want to see how it's going.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Saltburn was really good right up until the last 10 minutes or so. Having it be implied that Oliver was behind everything would have been way better, the whole Keyser Soze bit just felt hacky and brought it down

I support Barry Keoghan being a sociopathic weirdo in more stuff though, guy's like Steve Buschemi with lead energy

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think I had a rather atypical reaction to seeing Cat's Eye when I was little. I basically wanted my own mean little gnome that lives in the wall of my house.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Not enough love for the popcorn monster mash fun of Final Wars.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think I had a rather atypical reaction to seeing Cat's Eye when I was little. I basically wanted my own mean little gnome that lives in the wall of my house.

I was too dumb and too young to understand how voice acting worked when I first saw this, but I liked the little gnome guy as well and felt like I recognized his voice from somewhere.

Watching it again as a teenager was the first time I realized just how prolific Frank Welker is. It's also when I realized he's also the loving cat in that movie, too.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah Frank's range is basically
1) every animal in everything ever
2) nibbler's gibberish noises
3) nibbler's very serious elocution voice
4) Dr claw/cave of wonders

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He's only recently been slowing down compared to the ten projects a year he used to do but he's also seventy-seven.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah Frank's range is basically
1) every animal in everything ever
2) nibbler's gibberish noises
3) nibbler's very serious elocution voice
4) Dr claw/cave of wonders
Megatron

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fred from Scooby Doo

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Has he tried Batman?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
My favorite anecdote about Frank Welker is from Rob Paulsen (and I'm paraphrasing) talking about when they were working on The Snorks and the director asked if Frank could make the sound of like, a "clam sneezing" and everyone being blown away when he did it. They had no idea what a clam sneezing should sound like, but all agreed that he had nailed it once they heard it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ambitious Spider posted:

Not enough love for the popcorn monster mash fun of Final Wars.

Final Wars improves as you see more Godzilla movies. An entire movie of fanservice, and it rules for just being that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's a Wonderful Knife - the worst of the happy death day, freaky, totally killer trend in horror, mostly because the script. Felt rushed like it needed a couple more drafts to make the emotional beats better. Production was solid tho, love Justin Long as the hammy villain and the lead was good. There's some fun kills and a few decent gags.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Nikumatic posted:

My favorite anecdote about Frank Welker is from Rob Paulsen (and I'm paraphrasing) talking about when they were working on The Snorks and the director asked if Frank could make the sound of like, a "clam sneezing" and everyone being blown away when he did it. They had no idea what a clam sneezing should sound like, but all agreed that he had nailed it once they heard it.

Elvis used to keep Welker around to do dog impressions on command.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
frank welker is very good at animal sounds

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

MacheteZombie posted:

It's a Wonderful Knife - the worst of the happy death day, freaky, totally killer trend in horror, mostly because the script. Felt rushed like it needed a couple more drafts to make the emotional beats better. Production was solid tho, love Justin Long as the hammy villain and the lead was good. There's some fun kills and a few decent gags.
It was weird as hell that she was completely hosed up after killing Justin Long and still suffering the PTSD from it a year later. But then she kills her own father and it barely registers. And sure one could say that it wasn't her father technically or whatever. But it was her father enough that she accidentally calls him "dad" a bit earlier in the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Crowdfunding up. Email me at Alienatedfeature@gmail.com if you want to follow it

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Because of this thread I found out about Godzilla Minus One and decided to watch it in a fancy theater setup. (“XD” theater with “DBOX” seats, which I had never heard of). It was really really good. I’m so glad I caught it in the theaters. Those seats were really awesome for this movie, too.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Chinook posted:

Because of this thread I found out about Godzilla Minus One and decided to watch it in a fancy theater setup. (“XD” theater with “DBOX” seats, which I had never heard of). It was really really good. I’m so glad I caught it in the theaters. Those seats were really awesome for this movie, too.

DBOX is one of those things that for some films are extremely worth it. Seeing Lost Boys in DBOX was awesome. Seats moved with the flying vampires and the under the train trestle was a blast.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man 30 Coins/Pesedas is fuckin great. This season is so balls to the wall.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrmpti8QHco

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Reminds me of one of the parts of Roadside Picnic that never made it into Stalker, the dead come back (but only kinda).

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
On anthologies, one I haven't seen mentioned yet is Three... Extremes, which gives you one segment apiece from Hong Kong/South Korea/Japan. It's been on my mind a bit because I've seen some Park Chan-wook films recently and he's got one of the se gments.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Crescent Wrench posted:

On anthologies, one I haven't seen mentioned yet is Three... Extremes, which gives you one segment apiece from Hong Kong/South Korea/Japan. It's been on my mind a bit because I've seen some Park Chan-wook films recently and he's got one of the se gments.

Not just any Japanese short : that’s a Takashi Miike.

It’s not much of an anthology, in the sense that it’s just three non-feature length films back to back, but each one of them is pretty good

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Opopanax posted:

Saltburn was really good right up until the last 10 minutes or so. Having it be implied that Oliver was behind everything would have been way better, the whole Keyser Soze bit just felt hacky and brought it down

I support Barry Keoghan being a sociopathic weirdo in more stuff though, guy's like Steve Buschemi with lead energy
I heard some complaining about its depictions of queerness and class, a friend of mine said Fennell is kinda settling into Neolib Zahler territory and it's more misguided and perplexing than Promising Young Woman...
I dunno, I haven't seen it.

Still gonna give it a shot tho why not, it's one of four or five movies to moviepass...I was pretty leery about it to begin with.

But first, Minus One on Imax in half an hour.... :twisted:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Crescent Wrench posted:

It seems impossible but in a series with Takashi Miike and Park Chan-Wook, it's Fruit Chan's Dumplings that steals the movie IMO.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Shrecknet posted:

It seems impossible but in a series with Takashi Miike and Park Chan-Wook, it's Fruit Chan's Dumplings that steals the movie IMO.

Also true.

I only have a hazy (but favorable) impression of the others, but I remember the poo poo out of Dumplings.

Didn’t love the feature though. The story didn’t need to be filled out.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

Not just any Japanese short : that’s a Takashi Miike.

It’s not much of an anthology, in the sense that it’s just three non-feature length films back to back, but each one of them is pretty good

I almost mentioned Miike as well, I've just been more focused on Park. And, yeah, I guess there's no framing device, but Cat's Eye barely does aside from the cat appearing in all of them, and three or four stories is pretty standard. (You also anticipated my question about whether or not the Dumplings feature-length adaptation was necessary or not. It's also the segment I remember the most clearly, but it also seemed like the right length as is.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah, I’m not married having a little framing device, but I feel like that’s heavily implied by calling something an “anthology”. At least enough that I’d mention the lack in a recommendation.

Really, I think the most important thing is just for stories to understand their own pacing. It’s the secret most important part of horror, and a lot of movies bloat themselves with padding.

Sometimes a scary story is only going to be 50 minutes long and that’s fine.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I heard some complaining about its depictions of queerness and class, a friend of mine said Fennell is kinda settling into Neolib Zahler territory and it's more misguided and perplexing than Promising Young Woman...
I dunno, I haven't seen it.

I've been hearing the same too from those who've seen it who's opinions I trust.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also true.

I only have a hazy (but favorable) impression of the others, but I remember the poo poo out of Dumplings.

Didn’t love the feature though. The story didn’t need to be filled out.

:yeah:

I love Three Extremes and it’s saying something that the Miike short is the one that sticks with me the least of the three. And seconding to just skip the feature length version of Dumplings.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Redwood Creek just launched their last restoration of 2023: Jean Epstein's 1928 The Fall of the House of Usher. It's historically notable because it was Luis Buñuel's first screenplay.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

A fun anthology I watched for the first time this year was Tales of Terror. Great cast and you get a fun range of Vincent Price performances between all three shorts.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

NAGA is cool as hell and hits Netflix on the 7th!

Just dropped

That opening scene is amazing and I immediately had to pause and come here about it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Was looking for any 2023 releases I may have missed and checked out Good Boy last night. It was a totally serviceable "girl meets boy and ignores serious red flags" movie but I was a little disappointed it didn't run harder with the premise. He could have basically been any kind of weirdo and it would have been the same movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
What's the consensus on The Prophecy 2 and 3? There's a 4k set coming out but I've never seen any of the sequels. Although, as a physical media person, my experience tells me that when a box set gets released without the option to buy each film individually that usually means there's some garbage in there that they know wouldn't sell on it's own.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

What's the consensus on The Prophecy 2 and 3? There's a 4k set coming out but I've never seen any of the sequels. Although, as a physical media person, my experience tells me that when a box set gets released without the option to buy each film individually that usually means there's some garbage in there that they know wouldn't sell on it's own.

DTV trash, but not completely awful. Neither are as good as the first and that one isn’t exactly a classic to begin with. Walken is barely in 3 and I remember that one being pretty dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They’re okay and worth it if you want to see Walken continue to ham it up as Gabriel. The coroner (Kenny from Seinfeld) from the first one shows up in them as well.