Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Steamforge are absolute morons if they didn't do their due diligence when acquiring a company that appeared to be running a plastic ponzi scheme lol

Their update speaks for itself, I think. A reasonable person can decide whether decent due diligence would have tipped them off to the issues they mention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

So what’s the point of acquiring an unfulfilled campaign? Hope you can make a profit at retail?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Future campaigns/print runs from a known and generally liked line of games. Tax write-offs?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Invalid Validation posted:

So what’s the point of acquiring an unfulfilled campaign? Hope you can make a profit at retail?

Pretty much all you can do if you fulfill it because you're not making any money off of fulfillment unless you're extraordinarily lucky passing the hat around.

You basically have to hope the market for retail is there and the original backers don't represent the entirety of interested parties. Sometimes this is the case and other times (7th Sea comes to mind) it isn't.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Kwyndig posted:

Pretty much all you can do if you fulfill it because you're not making any money off of fulfillment unless you're extraordinarily lucky passing the hat around.

You basically have to hope the market for retail is there and the original backers don't represent the entirety of interested parties. Sometimes this is the case and other times (7th Sea comes to mind) it isn't.

They definitely bought it for the IP, not for the existing unfulfilled campaign. The hope is that they can manage to fulfill the existing campaign well enough to look like good guys who helped salvage things, and then later follow it up with a new campaign that they can make money on.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Memnaelar posted:

If you read the Steamforged update, it sure seems to indicate that Blacklist misrepresented/omitted a lot of pertinent facts prior to the acquisition and that caused Steamforged far more problems initially in fulfilling than they'd hoped to face.

So, no, I probably wouldn't hold out a lot of hope that Blacklist will actually use that money to fulfill their other obligations.

Oh poo poo I didn't realize how much tea they were going to accidentally spill.

Considering how bad Blacklist screwed up Fantasy series one, I expect nothing else they own is going to happen. Quartermaster logistics had to set up a web page specifically to handle Blacklists Fantasy minis because there was something like 300k in storage fees unpaid. It was so bad that Quartermaster (I don't know how it was legally handled on the back end) took ownership of the products and shipped it out only if backers paid for final leg shipping in the US.

I mean, it still meant that 200+ minis were coming at under 200 bucks, but it was a real gut punch to pay shipping twice.

I know the horror stuff is done, but they're still showing wax samples of fantasy series 2 as if that will ever see production.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

seems like we should add them to some sort of crowdfunding…hrm.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

They tried. They cancelled their last KS and I'm pretty sure were banned from starting any new campaigns in KS until they clear out some of the still pending ones.

Edit. The Kickstarter comments are so spicy.

Ravus Ursus fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 30, 2023

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
To be clear, they didn't acquire Blacklist, they acquired the Street Masters IP (and are fulfilling the outstanding crowdfunding project for same). I seem to recall they also bought the AltarQuest IP earlier (which did not have any outstanding projects) but I'm not 100% on that.

In a Discord I'm on Brady Sadler has said that he and his brother are "fairly heavily involved" with Steamforged on this and that he's been pushing for them to try and acquire Dire Alliance as well. I'm not sure exactly what that means practically speaking but I would love to see more Sadler-designed stuff, even though Steamforged wouldn't have been my ideal company for that.

Edit: And Street Masters is *by far* the most successful thing Blacklist have done, with a ton of already designed material that's currently out of print and in significant demand, so even with the obligation of fulfilling Tides of the Dragon out of pocket it shouldn't be that hard to make some money on it.

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 30, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Glad the Sadlers are involved. I always heard really good things about Street Masters but Kickstarters always came along when I was broke.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Looks like ISS vanguard is finally getting ready to ship the core box. Almost four years after I backed it!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Jarvisi posted:

Looks like ISS vanguard is finally getting ready to ship the core box. Almost four years after I backed it!

Did you back a language version, or pick one-wave shipping? I've had the core box forever.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

gschmidl posted:

Did you back a language version, or pick one-wave shipping? I've had the core box forever.

I just got the generic one! There was some weird trick where you had to pay for shipping twice immediately or else you got hosed

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Jarvisi posted:

I just got the generic one! There was some weird trick where you had to pay for shipping twice immediately or else you got hosed

This is very common with AW, most of their projects are either pay shipping twice or wait an extra two years for your first wave content. I didn’t get wave 1 of Etherfields until last year, and saved a whole $20 on shipping. Doesn’t really matter unless you’re eager to play immediately, but it definitely adds a long wait to the projects.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I think they're starting to move away from that approach lately, probably because shipping is so loving expensive these days.

eskimaux
Jun 28, 2007

Jarvisi posted:

FWIW the core game is really good. Myself and my gaming group have been playing through the campaign (slowly) over the past year and we’re having a great time.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The MCDM Backerkit campaign is live and over a million dollars already.

I'm not gonna lie - I like what I see so far. Seems heavily 4e-inspired if I'm not mistaken.

https://www.backerkit.com/c/projects/mcdm-productions/mcdm-rpg?ref=bk-discover-hero-feature

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Most of what I've seen looks rad as hell, but tbh I'm skeptical about this line:

"Certain NPCs can be negotiated with to get them to change their allegiance or reconsider their actions. (Technically, ANY npc can be negotiated with but there’s usually only one per adventure)"

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

The Bee posted:

Most of what I've seen looks rad as hell, but tbh I'm skeptical about this line:

"Certain NPCs can be negotiated with to get them to change their allegiance or reconsider their actions. (Technically, ANY npc can be negotiated with but there’s usually only one per adventure)"
Negotiation does have a bigger role in the game and there more mechanics to support it compared to the "chat+single dice roll" that ends up being how this is handled in most 5e games. I think that line is just there to underline that, even in traditional dungeon crawl one shots, there is going to be room for negotiations with at least one important NPC - aka: negotiation is going to be important in the game and be present in the official stuff for sure.

The exact mechanics are in a state of constant flux - and tbh I expect most of the game to change its face a bunch of times from now to 2025. The combat is really fun so far.

Edit: the real big news is that this is going to come with its custom built VTT like 4e was supposed to. That could alleviate the slowdowns that 4e games used to experience when running higher evel content. Low level content so far is fairly quicker to run compared to 5e, but as players and monsters get more and more options I could see things getting a bit bogged down if you run everything with just pen and paper.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 7, 2023

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

That Italian Guy posted:

Negotiation does have a bigger role in the game and there more mechanics to support it compared to the "chat+single dice roll" that ends up being how this is handled in most 5e games. I think that line is just there to underline that, even in traditional dungeon crawl one shots, there is going to be room for negotiations with at least one important NPC - aka: negotiation is going to be important in the game and be present in the official stuff for sure.

The exact mechanics are in a state of constant flux - and tbh I expect most of the game to change its face a bunch of times from now to 2025. The combat is really fun so far.

Edit: the real big news is that this is going to come with its custom built VTT like 4e was supposed to. That could alleviate the slowdowns that 4e games used to experience when running higher evel content. Low level content so far is fairly quicker to run compared to 5e, but as players and monsters get more and more options I could see things getting a bit bogged down if you run everything with just pen and paper.

Okay, that makes way more sense. The phrasing was a little weird, so that actually helped clear up a lot. Thank you!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I did not anticipate that I'd be this impressed. I haven't followed it but I'm in for hardcovers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

this is a minor complaint, but I feel like if your product has an acronym in the name, it should be spelled out somewhere fairly prominent & early on in the pitch?

I've just skimmed the kickstarter and I don't remember what MCDM stands for and nothing that I saw there told me. Weird, right?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

They should link up with professional wrestling and recreational drugs so MCMG can play MCDM on MDMA.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Leperflesh posted:

this is a minor complaint, but I feel like if your product has an acronym in the name, it should be spelled out somewhere fairly prominent & early on in the pitch?

I've just skimmed the kickstarter and I don't remember what MCDM stands for and nothing that I saw there told me. Weird, right?

Matt Colville Dungeon Master?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Which is just the most white bread name imaginable, no wonder he abbreviates it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kwyndig posted:

Which is just the most white bread name imaginable, no wonder he abbreviates it.
Seems like it's a placeholder - they're going to change it to something flashier. This is just so it's easy to find for the campaign.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The time to do that was years ago, the brand is settled. Any changes now would just confuse the target audience.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

So who is this guy? A Critical Role DM? I don't watch AP streams so I'm deeply lost right now.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

He writes popular 5e poo poo including some crit role books. He has his own webseries where he talks about DMing and does an AP. I think he's guest DM'd for critical role.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I honestly don't know who the gently caress he is other than he comes up in threads here sometimes.

I'm going by what the campaign is saying about the game itself, and it looks slick.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Matt coville was the lead story writer on Evolve.

If you don't remember that game, it's ok. No one else does.

He also worked on the Dune Card game if I remember right? He's written pair of novels that are ok, Thief and Priest. He ran a DND game, I think in 4e, that was also ok. He did, and I guess still does, a bunch of DM advice videos and quotes a lot of pop culture a dude in his 40s-50s would be into.

He's fine and inoffensive even if his approach and speaking manner rub people the wrong way. I expected this thing to be another heartbreaker but I'm. It sure what to make of it.

So far it looks like it's an offshoot of 4e, it doesn't use d20s, it's 2d6 and d8s and d4s, it has attacks auto hit so you don't roll for that, it has renamed 6 stats but its not 1-20, it's just a number defined by your class, there are also kits that tweak your class?

It's.... Different? He says he's not making a dungeons crawler and he's not making a crunchy games, and he emphasizes the heroic fantasy and his examples are just cold dudes doing cool things.

Could be cool.

I think his pricing is going to scare off a bunch of people even though it's probably what those things should cost nowadays, especially if everyone is getting paid fairly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ravus Ursus posted:

it has attacks auto hit

Ugh.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
He and his team have also published a few D&D open game license books already so they're not total newbies. I know one's called Strongholds & Followers, I don't remember what all else because I have never played 5E and have no personal interest in buying supplements for it.

But he definitely has dozens of hours of Youtube content out there where you can hear all about his philosophies about GMing, game design, and so on. As well as a decent chunk of D&D actual play campaign, "The Chain of Acheron".

I would trust them to make a pretty solid, focused RPG and the things I'm hearing sound like they know what they want and have a plan. It's just not what I want from RPGs is all.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Spells too.

It looks like only effect riders has resistance rolls.

So that fireball hits everyone and they roll to not catch fire.

It goes both ways, the necromancer page has an example. It there's a chance to hit dice thing on there so who loving knows.

He also gives bosses double turns.

Like I said it's different and could be neat, might be a train wreck.

malkav11 posted:

He and his team have also published a few D&D open game license books already so they're not total newbies. I know one's called Strongholds & Followers, I don't remember what all else because I have never played 5E and have no personal interest in buying supplements for it.

But he definitely has dozens of hours of Youtube content out there where you can hear all about his philosophies about GMing, game design, and so on. As well as a decent chunk of D&D actual play campaign, "The Chain of Acheron".

I would trust them to make a pretty solid, focused RPG and the things I'm hearing sound like they know what they want and have a plan. It's just not what I want from RPGs is all.

The first book was fine, the second books has been considered a hot mess from what I've seen. I didn't have use for it so I have no idea how that plays. His most recent monster books seems ok?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It's a lot of hype without much substance on the pitch page, and I see a lot of "you have to check out the Discord or his YouTube video essays for more details" on RPGnet, which is a major turnoff for me. And then there's the "hopefully we will have rules for crafting and other stuff, guess we'll see in 2025" which is a refreshingly realistic timeline but also another turnoff. I'm not on the MCDM train and I'm not going to buy a ticket based on an alpha play test I have to go elsewhere to learn about in bits and pieces.

Hopefully it's good and I'll pick up the books in a couple of years.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I think this product looks exciting, and it's already surpassed it's goal. But why the gently caress is the pitch video an hour long?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Kwyndig posted:

The time to do that was years ago, the brand is settled. Any changes now would just confuse the target audience.

That's what happened to Black Flag, too, though boy did they pick the most generic names to try and supplant it. At least Tales of the Valiant has some grip, but Core Fantasy Roleplay? Phew.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

DalaranJ posted:

I think this product looks exciting, and it's already surpassed it's goal. But why the gently caress is the pitch video an hour long?

Dude can be long-winded.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

I think he’s very cautious in making the goal ‘they’ll hire someone to continue to work on a dedicated VTT that they have a working prototype of’ and given his one or 2 videos where he gets in to his read of the history of 4e D&D, he seems to have a not naive understanding of the risks and pitfalls of what they’re trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/detestablegames/party-panda-pirates

good option for a kids/family game, I have 3 of their kickstarters and they are great quality

also anyone been following along with Nemesis Retaliation? I feel like they are getting a little too greedy with some of this stuff, like there's 3 packs of acrylic tokens for Retaliation and then 2 more for the previous games. but then you have the "constructs" pack for the original that has hp counter bases for the aliens(actually useful) but its packaged with heap of not so useful terrain. AND they still haven't even said what is cross compatible