Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So I actually downloaded the collection for switch and have been playing through jt with my wife who has never even heard of it before and now we finally surpassed where the LP is at. Now I feel bad continuing on lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

So I actually downloaded the collection for switch and have been playing through jt with my wife who has never even heard of it before and now we finally surpassed where the LP is at. Now I feel bad continuing on lol

Don't hold back on my account; we're going slow-and-steady here. Each update is only like 15 minutes of gameplay; they're just very dense! I'm trying to write to entertain everyone from those who have never seen any of these games before to those who remember every little detail that's about to happen, so hopefully you'll be good either way!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

DKII posted:

Don't hold back on my account; we're going slow-and-steady here. Each update is only like 15 minutes of gameplay; they're just very dense! I'm trying to write to entertain everyone from those who have never seen any of these games before to those who remember every little detail that's about to happen, so hopefully you'll be good either way!

You’re doing a great job for someone who never wants to play the series, so you know. It’s not my favorite genre but the stories are great. I mostly just don’t have time.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

DKII posted:

I would probably enjoy a prequel episode of Mia Fey vs Neil Marshall.

Same here. Can we get a prequel game of Mia vs. Neil, Lana, Von Karma, and other characters? Maybe Winston Payne and Edgeworth too.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Show the attorney badge

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

At least three times to be sure

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

DKII posted:

Also, case 5 might be unusual in a lot of ways, but it's still influenced by how the cases have gotten more complex as the series has gone on, so if anyone is waiting for the LP to catch up, they're going to be playing the later games at a snail's pace due to how this LP is (rightfully) categorizing everything extensively.

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 3, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The weird thing about replaying these games years later is realizing how much older you get when you compare yourself now to the characters' ages.

These days I'm about Gumshoe's age.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Thanks for the permission to forge ahead. Now I have to look up a walkthrough instead of reading the relevant update :p

...!
Oct 5, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

The weird thing about replaying these games years later is realizing how much older you get when you compare yourself now to the characters' ages.

These days I'm about Gumshoe's age.

lol you're a lot older, actually :xd:

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 144: Episode 5, Day 3, Trial Latter: Third Stabbing

You know, I don't remember that description getting updated. Anyway, the Blue Badger is certainly missing from the floor plans. And it seems to be relevant, since it was blocking our view of the bloody handprint. Let's try it out!

Music: Silence

What about that piece of plywood?

The Blue Badger!

Mascot of the police force!

Explain yourself, Mr. Wright.

So?

So watch what happens when we put him in.

quote:

Nothing else will work here. Though technically the glove and the jar fragments we found in the evidence room are also "missing" from the map. They're just not relevant here.

As they say back west...

"Even a blind man can hit with buckshot."

That is...

so long as he's facin' the general direction.

It seems Mr. Wright's not sure which direction to face.

(It's no use!)

(The more evidence there is, the greater the chance of me being wrong!)
Sound: Stab

Music: Investigation - Core

Just calm down, Mr. Wright.

Try and remember what the evidence room was like on the day of the crime!

(What is it that bothers me about this blood mark...?)

Sound: Desk Slam

Please allow me another chance, Your Honor. I'll prove it this time!

Sound: Gavel

Let us pray the defense isn't simply trying to buy time.

From there we have the same lead-in to the prior evidence prompt. The first somewhat-hard choice we have in this segment, but at least there's no penalty! We have a lot of evidence to for random guessing, though...

Sound: Realization

Ohhhh. The Blue Badger must be a lot bigger than I realized. I thought it was really close to the camera, maybe in the middle of the room? From there, it's not just blocking our view of Gumshoe's locker; it's blocking everyone's access to it!

Well...?

Well... what?

!
Sound: Light Bulb

*gasp!*

That's right.

So long as the Blue Badger is dancing here...

Sound: Objection

Music: Telling the Truth

Sound: Stab 2

That positioning also explains why Marshall didn't notice the bloody handprint already being there when he walked in. As for Meekins... I'll generously assume he blocked his own view while carrying in the Blue Badger. Neither Marshall nor Meekins were wearing gloves so I had already assumed they didn't leave the print. (Marshall opened his own locker and didn't know about the fingerprint sensor on it, so couldn't have been wearing gloves. Meekins cut his hand on Marshall's knife, so didn't appear to be wearing gloves, either; he never made it back to Gumshoe's locker after getting attacked, anyway.)

Sound: Gallery

Sound: Gavel x 3

So that means...

Uh... just exactly what does that mean!?

It means it can't be done!
Sound: Whack

Don't look at me, I didn't put it there!

Ema!

On that afternoon...

Sound: Wipe

was left there before the Blue Badger was brought in...?

It may sound farfetched, Your Honor...

but it's the only possible explanation!

blood was spilled not once, but twice!
Sound: Drama Pound

B-but how...!

The problem is... the "other" time.

I suppose we're not considering that the handprint was left after Meekins was attacked somehow? Whomever found Meekins (and wasn't on the ID card record after Meekins, either) could have gotten blood on their hands and left the handprint? I guess the Blue Badger would've still been in the way?

It had to have been...

Music: Pressing Pursuit - Cornered

Here we go, the good music's on.

quote:

Original line: "That's ridiculous! I refute you!" Kind of funny but not really tone-appropriate.

However!

Awful lot of references to this blood mark on Gumshoe's locker for something that we never officially received as evidence. I guess it is still marked on the floor plan.

When did it take place?

quote:

Original line was missing the word "when", making for a very different demand from Edgeworth...

(When DID the first incident occur...?)

To summarize, the defense claims that...

another "incident" took place in that evidence room.

Very well. Then tell us...

(Proof that shows when the murder took place...)

(There's only one piece of evidence that can show that!)

What shows when the "first" crime took place?

This one's pretty clear if you don't overthink it. The autopsy report has been hanging out in our evidence list for a long time and also mentions the possibility of the murder occurring earlier, but this record really nails down specific times that the evidence room was accessed.

And in order to do so,

an ID card would've been required.

Let's see here... 4:50 PM.

4:40 PM... Ah!

quote:

Nothing else has the specific information that we need here.

This is the proof!

It's quite simple, you see.

If it's so simple, then don't get it wrong.

Huh?

If "huh" was an acceptable excuse, we wouldn't need police.
Sound: Damage 2

There's the penalty, properly handed out by the judge this time.

The first crime took place before the Blue Badger was brought to the room, right?

Say...

When was the Blue Badger brought there, anyway?

Hmm... Don't we have a chart listing a bunch of times for something?

quote:

Original line: "Don't we have a time chart among our evidence items that lists the time?" Just... awkwardly-worded.

(Proof that shows when the murder took place...)

We repeat the scene leading up to the evidence prompt from there. That might be the strongest hint I remember this game ever giving before.

M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-

Sound: Shock 2

Looks like Gant's frame-job is coming to fruition...

Music: Suspense

I never would've figured you had the nerve, boy.

Drop the act, witness.

Wait, when did Marshall get back on the witness stand? Wasn't Ema there earlier? Did he just wander back up there after she stormed in?

Hmm...

Nope, I ain't gettin' it...

It's clear from the luminol test that blood was there.

However, when the "second" crime took place...

That means...

the blood from the first crime was wiped away...

by the real murderer.

I think they're talking about the large blood pool by Goodman's locker here.

Impossible in ten minutes, supposedly. But possible in twenty?

That would mean...

I must say, after all the effort seemingly placed into entangling Edgeworth with this crime, he slipped out of this latest trap remarkably easily.

Let's look at the chart again.

Talk about a lucky number...

But wait...

That doesn't make sense!

Since there's no record of his card being used beforehand...

he must have entered along with the real murderer.

That's the only plausible explanation.

Mr. Edgeworth!

Please look into this ASAP!

That's one "seven" too many, Your Honor.

At least, at present.

What!?

Explain yourself, son.

Someone who is a so-called "executive officer."

...That's the most non-credible excuse for not just giving us the information I've heard out of this game yet. I think I'll just choose to view it as a sign of the corruption in this justice system.

But that's ridiculous! Just how...

I'm not finished talking, Mr. Wright.

Well, at least the game acknowledges how silly it's being right now.

Oh, we're just pointing back to Lana, aren't we?

An "official charge"...

You're all alike, aren't you?

With your "cover-ups" and your "forgeries"...

Sound: Gallery

I take pride in my work, Officer Marshall.

"Slander," is it? Okay.

Let me ask a question.

Yes?

Your own little "executive."

(L-Lana?)

Don't be stupid. She's been charged with murder.

That's twice now in this update the game made me think it was going somewhere and then immediately pulled back on it. Both good fake-outs, too.

All I want to know is one thing... about that incident.

The SL-9 Incident?

Answer me this, Chief Prosecutor!

I guess we can't have someone talking from the audience. Or wherever the defendant gets stashed while the trial is going on.

I heard him fine, Mr. Edgeworth.

At the time, we...

At least... I did.

...!

L-Lana...

I became a prosecutor in order to suppress crime with the law.

Was Lana living in the same legal system as Manfred von Karma and his crooked 40-year "perfect" record?

Defendant!

Just what are you saying!?

Are Jake and Lana just hurriedly changing places as they exchange lines on the same witness stand here?

During that trial two years ago...

did you really present all the evidence in court?

Chief Prosecutor! You didn't...

!

Why won't you answer him!?

That's just the way it is.

But Lana!

I think our prior episodes have done enough to rebut the notion that one can "know" for sure someone is guilty without being able to prove it in court, that I don't have to go into it any more than that. I'm sure there are situations where evidence that "proves" guilt would be inadmissable in court for any number of reasons, but it doesn't seem like she's talking about that here.

Silent reactions from everyone as Marshall slides back onto the stand.

Sound: Crowd Noise

We get a new sound effect for a crowd that's even more excited than usual. This one also looks like it's pulled from the first Apollo Justice game.

The crowd noise continues for awhile...

Music: Jingle - It Can't End Here

Well. Not how I saw that trial day ending. In all the chaos, I think I forgot about the last revelation that was actually relevant to the case. The person who entered the evidence room, and likely killed Detective Goodman, was some high-ranking "executive officer". Now who have we seen in this episode, that qualifies as a high-ranking officer, is connected to the SL-9 Incident, and has been messing with this case from the very beginning?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Show the detective badge

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Clearly the killer was the Blue Badger.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Clearly the killer was the Blue Badger.

Please. We just proved the handprint had to have happened before its soulless eyes got there.

It was absolutely part of the cover up, though.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

DKII, did you ever stop to think who would be perfect for the lucky seven sevens ID number?

FoolyCharged posted:

It is a cop, it's like saying water is wet.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

FoolyCharged posted:

Quite literally, as we've already proved.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

idhrendur posted:

Quite literally, as we've already proved.

It didn't mean to, though. Meekins set it up.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FoolyCharged posted:

It didn't mean to, though. Meekins set it up.

Let's be honest, the blue badger is smarter than Meekins.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DKII posted:

Wait, when did Marshall get back on the witness stand? Wasn't Ema there earlier? Did he just wander back up there after she stormed in?
Check your pictures again. Ema has been standing next to Phoenix at the defense stand for this entire court day. Marshall never left the witness stand.

quote:

Was Lana living in the same legal system as Manfred von Karma and his crooked 40-year "perfect" record?
This does not need to be a contradiction. Once again assuming Japanifornian law is a parody of Japanese law, it even makes a lot of sense.

In Japanese law, cases never make it into court unless the police can give the prosecution enough evidence that it'll be a clear "win" for them. That's why in over 99% of cases, the suspect is found guilty. If the police has any doubt about the suspect's guilt it never makes it into court.

So, in Japan, when working in the police, you'd prob have to let cases go if you can't get the evidence together, which can be frustrating if you're quite certain who did it.
But working as a prosecutor, you're going to win basically every case.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Carbon dioxide posted:

This does not need to be a contradiction. Once again assuming Japanifornian law is a parody of Japanese law, it even makes a lot of sense.

In Japanese law, cases never make it into court unless the police can give the prosecution enough evidence that it'll be a clear "win" for them. That's why in over 99% of cases, the suspect is found guilty. If the police has any doubt about the suspect's guilt it never makes it into court.

So, in Japan, when working in the police, you'd prob have to let cases go if you can't get the evidence together, which can be frustrating if you're quite certain who did it.

This adds a layer of dark comedy to the whole "King of Prosecutors" award. It's basically an award for the guy who goes into court in a nice suit and gets their cases rubber-stamped by the judge the most. From the point of view of the police, prosecutors like Edgeworth and Lana are getting the wealth and prestige that comes mostly from the work the police did.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Check your pictures again. Ema has been standing next to Phoenix at the defense stand for this entire court day. Marshall never left the witness stand.

Ema's clearly on the witness stand here, two updates ago. Then Marshall re-takes the stand last update. In fact Lana and Marshall switch off frequently during that last update, too. You can even see them standing at the same witness stand during the gallery shots, trading off. I'm all for making corrections but telling me to "check my pictures again" is just rude.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Sure but Lana and Edgeworth and von Karma are prosecutors, not police. No one has accused the police of making up evidence here. If the prosecutors are always handed perfect cases then why are they the ones feeling constrained by the law and doing all the cheating?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

DKII posted:

Sure but Lana and Edgeworth and von Karma are prosecutors, not police. No one has accused the police of making up evidence here. If the prosecutors are always handed perfect cases then why are they the ones feeling constrained by the law and doing all the cheating?

The 99% conviction rate also relies on socially pressuring suspects/perps to get written confessions. without that, there's an idea that the trial will drag out and possibly go free, even if you know it's a slam dunk otherwise. the fabricated evidence/needing to make sure is as much about the expectation of building an ironclad case as it is the possibility of someone actually guilty getting free

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DKII posted:

Ema's clearly on the witness stand here, two updates ago. Then Marshall re-takes the stand last update. In fact Lana and Marshall switch off frequently during that last update, too. You can even see them standing at the same witness stand during the gallery shots, trading off. I'm all for making corrections but telling me to "check my pictures again" is just rude.

What I was referring to is, if you scroll back a little bit from the point I was quoting, in the same update, the last time you posted screenshots of either of them, Marshall was on the witness stand and Ema was assisting Phoenix.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Don't think too hard about placements; Nick's assistant will flash step between the witness bench and the defense bench as needed between screenshots, and in general there's no coherency on where people stand. Generally speaking I think only judge Judge, Nick and the prosecutor will always stand in their assigned place, and I'm not so sure on the prosecutor.

Hell, there's at least a couple cases* where the defendant will do a surprise flash step into the defense bench, which you'd think would cause all the bailiffs to dogpile them but Japanifornia, and I'm not referring to situations where the assistant for the case is also the defendant.

*more like a couple dozen

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Really, the "witness stand" is kinda a catch-all area for anyone who isn't defense, judge, or prosecution to speak, it doesn't seem to be just for witnesses.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I always sort of assumed it's just when the game wanted to show the characters from the front rather than from the side.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Omobono posted:

and in general there's no coherency on where people stand.

so far there has been, mostly. This case is more of an exception than a rule so far. You can flip a coin on whether it's "ema went to the stand real quick" or "ema shown from the front which means the sprites demand it was at the stand" though. I'd guess it's probably been pretty good since GBA cart space was limited so they had to be consistent, but this is the first case where they aren't, so...

specifically if I had to guess, I'd say the decision was "show Ema from the front so this bit hits harder" and the teleport to the witness stand was a mostly-technical consequence of available sprites, but that doesn't change the visual implication.

also just imagine her rushing up there and shoving him so hard he disappears into the phantom zone or something. That's funny so I support it :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 8, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's also a big difference between a 99% conviction rate and a 100% conviction rate, and it's presumably that last percentage point which makes up the von Karma Difference. The only non-Karma prosecutor we've seen is Payne, and he presumably also has a win rate in the high nineties despite being a total scrub, because the game is that rigged in his favor.

It's probably too early to say where Lana falls on that scale, given that we don't know anything concrete about SL-9.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Less witness standing and more attorney badging please and thank you

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Psion posted:

so far there has been, mostly. This case is more of an exception than a rule so far. You can flip a coin on whether it's "ema went to the stand real quick" or "ema shown from the front which means the sprites demand it was at the stand" though. I'd guess it's probably been pretty good since GBA cart space was limited so they had to be consistent, but this is the first case where they aren't, so...

specifically if I had to guess, I'd say the decision was "show Ema from the front so this bit hits harder" and the teleport to the witness stand was a mostly-technical consequence of available sprites, but that doesn't change the visual implication.

also just imagine her rushing up there and shoving him so hard he disappears into the phantom zone or something. That's funny so I support it :v:

She ran off in between trial segments and then showed up to interrupt the guilty verdict and begged for help on the stand (similar to Larry last episode I guess, though she didn't formally testify). So that part makes sense to me, and Marshall was basically done so it made sense that he'd be dismissed for the imminent verdict. She moved back to the defense table some point after that, and then later Marshall silently returned to the stand I guess. It got funnier when Marshall and Lana were rapidly going back and forth, though.

In the end it's not really any different from other times we have multiple characters speaking in front of the same backdrop, switching back and forth as needed. The witness stand just seems more like a spot that only holds a singular person, particularly when you see it in the gallery shots with one person standing at it like so:

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 145: Episode 5, Day 3, Investigation: Joe Darke Killings

Not sure how anything that's happened today is your fault?

I'm sorry for what my sister said...

Music: Recollection ~ The SL-9 Incident

That's just the way it is.

We did what we had to...

in order for him to get the verdict he deserved.

I... didn't know.

the "Joe Darke Killings."

(Sounds like everyone's heard about these killings but me...)

Phoenix probably would have been buried in law school at the time? He is kind of generally oblivious anyway, though.

That's why she used me...

That's why she used what happened to me.

What do you mean, "what happened" to you?

It's all there in the file...

When he murdered Officer Marshall's brother,

But what did you have to do with those killings, Ema?

Oh. I really need to be more patient with my snap-judgments in this episode.

What? He tried to kill you!?

So that means you...

Yes.

(I didn't see that one coming!)

Well, the file said she was a witness. But... I didn't see it coming that she not only witnessed the final murder, but was nearly a victim herself!

Before we talk with Ema further, let's look around the office again. There's one subtle difference here...

Mia's desk.

I sit here even less now that I've stopped taking cases.

I'm borrowing this desk, okay?

(If that's what they're teaching in high school math, we're in serious trouble.)

Now for our massive evidence list. Most of these don't have new reactions from Ema, but I'll show the handful that do.

Right. A few days before he was murdered,

Uh it was the same morning that he was murdered, not a few days before. Weird error there.

(Although "stolen item" is more like it...)

(Swiped by that lone wolf who dressed up like him.)

It didn't come as much of a surprise to me...

There was something strange about this shoe, wasn't there?

Let's see, what was it...?

The traces of blood on its sole.

Not a big pool of it, anyway.

But we did find blood on the floor somewhere, didn't we?

Where was that again...?

In the evidence room at the Police Department.

That's right. We now know the other numbers aren't related to the murder.

"7777777"... An "executive officer."

It's weird that Teflon-Edgeworth hasn't had anything stick to him yet:
  • The murder took place between 4 and 4:40 PM in the evidence room, with Edgeworth's name on the access list during that time.
  • The victim was transported from the Police Department to the Prosecutor's Office by Edgeworth, in his trunk
  • The victim was killed by Edgeworth's own knife

So even if Edgeworth didn't do it, how did "7777777" get Edgeworth's knife out of his trunk and then stuff Goodman into it? Maybe they approached Edgeworth as he was getting ready to leave, asked him to run an errand for him, and then Edgeworth ran off with his trunk still open? Yes, I am still confident that Gant is the killer here.

Uh, I believe that's one "seven" too many...

(We can't find out whose number this is unless we have some incriminating evidence.)

(That's going to be hard to dig up by tomorrow...)

Mr. Edgeworth is so kind, giving us something like this.

I don't think he knew who you were two days ago.

Are you okay, Ema?

...Is Larry behind us again?

Sound: Damage 2

Never mind, just a gag with her sneezing the powder everywhere.

(Might as well wipe my dignity away too while you're at it.)

This screwdriver was at Edgeworth's office, wasn't it?

Then what are we doing carrying it around?

I like that little dig at Phoenix's hoarder tendencies.

(If I recall...)

(Edgeworth said Chief Gant asked him to take this to the Prosecutor's Office.)

This one just gives the same response as showing Goodman's ID.

This jar's pretty fragile.

What do you mean, "about to"? It's already broken.

I meant again...

(This piece was found in Detective Goodman's evidence locker.)

(That means...)

Wait, it was found in the locker? I thought it was found on the floor in front of his locker. Though we were told it had an SL-9 evidence tag anyway.

Did Detective Goodman not have any other evidence from other cases in that locker?

This fingerprint was left on the locker when Marshall was stashing his bloody coat.

(I wonder what's going to happen to Officer Marshall now...)

He'll probably end up selling lunches with Angel Starr.

At first I thought it was a joke,

but it turned out to be a goldmine of evidence.

We only directly used the video four times; I think the fifth was about the Blue Badger placement, blocking Gumshoe's locker. Or there's something else in there I'm still missing.

It also gave the Blue Badger some publicity...

of the negative sort, that is.

It seems everything is somehow related to this incident.

Yes. The name of everyone connected to this trial is listed in here.

All that's left...

is to figure out just what role everyone plays in this case.

If we search hard enough, I think we'll find our answers.

(What exactly did, or didn't, Lana do?)

You know, we've kind of investigated everything there is to investigate about Goodman's murder. We already examined the evidence room; learning that two incidents took place there doesn't change what we already found. So what are we going to be actually looking into today? I think it'll be more about solving the events of two years ago.

To that end, let's finally talk to Ema about it.

There was a terrible thunder storm that day... Unusual for the season.

I was alone in my sister's office.

We were planning to eat dinner together once she finished her work.

Joe Darke...

I didn't know what was going on.

Just then, Prosecutor Marshall showed up.

(Jake Marshall's brother...)

Joe Darke tried to take me hostage,

Then...

What happened?

I-I'll never forget it!

Sound: Thunder 2 x 2

a bolt of lightning flashed outside the window, lighting up the office for an instant.

(A permanent picture...?)

I guess we'll have to wait a bit to hear more on that topic.

So you weren't able to testify about that?

No, I was only asked about when I was attacked.

Made it up? You mean, provided bogus evidence?

The Prosecutor's Office wanted that guilty verdict so badly.

Edgeworth!?

Yes.

But I'm sure he didn't know anything about it!

So, hold up a minute. Joe Darke runs off from questioning, Neil Marshall chases him down and gets killed, and they have to resort to making up evidence to convict Joe Darke of the murder? Isn't just being in the neighborhood of the victim enough evidence for this justice system?

Even so...

that's when it all started.

The rumors about Mr. Edgeworth, I mean.

It's all my fault...

(So it's true. Even though he may not have known it...)

(Edgeworth really was involved in falsifying evidence!)

She became cold, like she is today.

(She must not have been able to face up to what she did... Especially not to Ema.)

What did you see in the instant that crime occurred?

(Neil Marshall was stabbed right in front of this poor girl!)

Hmm. Another gap in the timeline from a witness. And Ema didn't actually see Joe Darke stab Neil Marshall. Did he run off instead, and someone else came in and killed Neil Marshall while Ema was passed out? Maybe someone desperate to get evidence on Joe Darke to put away the serial killer?

Poor Ema... You've been through so much.

I drew a picture, but it wasn't any good.

Two years ago... You must have been 14. That's understandable.

I decided that when I grew up, I'd become a scientific investigator.

And find the evidence to make an airtight case...

Well, don't I feel like an rear end in a top hat now. All of Ema's "annoying quirks" from the first day that became more "endearing qualities" by the second day are now just reasonable characterization given her back story.

I see...

(I think I'm finally starting to understand what makes Ema tick.)

(But there's still something that bothers me about that crime.)

Not like we're stopping now.

There's something that's puzzling me, Ema.

What is it?

You said you were in Lana's office at that time, right?

That's right.

Why then would a serial killer come running in there?

Oh, there's no mystery there.

At the Prosecutor's Office?

Taken in for questioning? You mean by the police?

But why did he run all the way over to your sister's office?

For a moment, I thought he ran the full 30-minute drive between the two locations, too. Then I figured Lana just had some kind of visiting space at the Police Department for when she had meetings there or something?

Here I figured the game was being intentionally confusing and sat back to wait for a full explanation.

Across from the elevator?

But Lana was the Chief Prosecutor, wasn't she?

No, silly!

Didn't I tell you?

That's... a much simpler explanation. The SL-9 files even referred to her as an "Executive Investigator", alongside Damon Gant. Though detective-to-prosecutor is an interesting career switch.

She was the best in the entire force!

Whaaaaat!? (That's news to me!)

After the Joe Darke case,

"You're so good at faking evidence, you belong over here!"

(Lana used to be... a detective?)

(I'd better have another talk with her!)

While we're free to go pretty much anywhere, the game is hinting pretty heavily that we should go to the detention center next.

L-Lana...

Falsifying evidence...

I didn't think you were the type.

But Lana! If you're wrong...

an innocent person might be found guilty!

Lana was so desperate to convict the man that threatened her sister. But did she really get the right one?

Lana.

Ema told me about you.

Oh?

About how you were a detective two years ago,

That's right.

Could you fill me in on the details? Especially about that unusual change of jobs?

quote:

If we visit the detention center before talking to Ema and clearing all of her topics, Lana isn't around yet.

Looks like they're questioning Lana again.

(I guess we're not the only ones who want to question her...)

Well, since we've come all this way, why don't we go see Mr. Meekins?

Uh... Let's not and say we did.

(I'd rather come back and do that later.)

I like that Phoenix is just as annoyed by Meekins as I am.

Music: Detention Center - Jailer's Elegy

Let's look around and go through our massive evidence list before talking to her.

This guard monitors the visitor's room.

Still not much to look at in here, really.

Attorneys and prosecutors have no business showing evidence outside court.

(She really means it...)

Lana...

Yeah, we just get that reaction to everything we have.

No more distractions before the main event, I guess.

A lot of revelations were uncovered at the trial today, not the least of which was

the fact that this case is largely connected to another one, two years ago.

I know how obsessive Officer Marshall can be.

I believed in you, Lana!

It couldn't be helped, Ema.

Well, all drama aside, the fact of the matter is

at 5:15, there was no murder at the Police Department.

Was Goodman still alive when Lana found him, but bleeding out? Did he tell her who killed him, and that it was a setup for Edgeworth? That's about all the sense I can make out of Lana right now. She's acting like someone being blackmailed or threatened.

Why won't you tell us?

(I don't think I've ever seen Lana look so fazed before...)

Music: Detention Center - Jailer's Elegy

She was amazing!

They probably worked well together with Manfred von Karma...

Chief Gant?

Damon Gant... he was everything I aspired to be.

(Ema really idolizes her big sister.)

But now you're Chief Prosecutor... What happened?

I always planned on becoming a prosecutor. The reason I became a detective was...

Interesting cross-training.

Gant's help in the SL-9 case was crucial to its resolution.

(Maybe I should ask more about this "investigation" of theirs two years ago.)

Still waiting for something actually helpful...

"Second-in-command"? That means the investigation lead was Damon Gant, right?

Now there's an interesting little tidbit. When Darke ran into Lana's office two years ago, was he really looking for Gant?

(They even had the same office...!)

We led a team of the best detectives on the force:

It was the first time Marshall worked with his brother. He was quite... "gung ho."

We asked him to come in for questioning. We were desperate for evidence.

Now how can you be so sure he was the serial killer if you didn't have any evidence?

(When he tried to murder Ema...)

You see, the first person who happened upon the scene of the crime...

was me.

...! (Now you tell us...)

First one that you know about, maybe. Let's assume that Joe Darke really was the serial killer, for reasons that the game won't explain to us. The question the game seems to be wanting us to ask - did he really kill Neil Marshall? Or did someone else do it while Ema was passed out, and before Lana arrived?

So Gant was also there... Shouldn't he have been right behind Marshall, chasing after Darke?

The investigation was in its final stages, and Darke must have suddenly panicked.

But why would he go there?

That's where he found me.

So you were the first person to run to the scene, Lana?

It appears so.

Uh... We're not really expected to believe that Darke stabbed Marshall in the back from that positioning, are we?

Three bodies?

Prosecutor Marshall, the victim, Ema, who had passed out,

During the struggle, it seems Mr. Marshall struck a final blow before he died.

No wonder you didn't have any evidence, your story doesn't make any sense.

What did you do?

To be honest, I panicked.

(Can't blame her, after all her sister must have gone through.)

Now that we've cleared all of Lana's topics, we get a new scene directing us on where to go next.

Let me get this straight.

You were all involved in the SL-9 Incident?

I don't buy it.

W-what are you saying?

There's no way everyone involved in this trial was also involved in that incident

just by "chance."

At least one person went to extremes because they didn't believe it was truly solved.

Ever since his brother died, he's changed completely.

Life doesn't end with the closing of a case.

Well, Joe Darke's did. :dumbrim:

That "case" just might not be over yet.

!

Ema was assaulted by Darke at the Police Department, right?

Yes, in the office that Damon Gant and I shared.

(Maybe we should have a look at the Chief's office - the site of the final SL-9 murder!)

Off to the Chief's office next! We can't get directly to the Police Department entrance from here, but we can go to the next-best spot nearby.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
I do love the amount of extra art they did for these flashbacks compared to the original cases.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
A person in their twenties can become a law enforcement detective and then a lead prosecutor in only two years.

Gotta love anime culture.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Joe Darke, the Onion Killer

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

achtungnight posted:

A person in their twenties can become a law enforcement detective and then a lead prosecutor in only two years.

Gotta love anime culture.

It's called grindset

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Have you considered the possibility that maybe Ema wouldn't have kept all that from you if you had been more diligent in showing her your attorney badge?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Maybe Joe Darke coincidentally kept popping up in the areas around the previous killings and suspicion was on him as a result.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Maybe he had a really good defense attorney with an eye for contradictions and a particularly shiny badge.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Darke just needed to hit Gant's coffee pot. The stuff in interrogation had a bunch of creamer and poo poo in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

DKII posted:

So you weren't able to testify about that?

No, I was only asked about when I was attacked.

[...]

So, hold up a minute. Joe Darke runs off from questioning, Neil Marshall chases him down and gets killed, and they have to resort to making up evidence to convict Joe Darke of the murder? Isn't just being in the neighborhood of the victim enough evidence for this justice system?

I mean, if there was no conclusive evidence or direct testimony, how could they ever convict? Yanni Yogi was found in a locked room with a dead body, and he was never convicted.

The law that the defendant will always be declared guilty, unless someone else is goaded into confessing on the stand, seems to be specifically applied only when Phoenix is on the defense.

You could even argue that it's an effect of the three-day-trial law, if we want to pretend Nick's challenges are not just a gameplay contrivance; when SL-9 happened, it wasn't a guarantee that the likeliest suspect would always hang.