Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Microplastics posted:

It does seem awfully common (and uniquely British?) for men to end up married to women they hate. They just keep moaning about them down the pub. Like why did you bother getting married

Yeah but they don't mean it. They like pretending they're under the thumb.

A former bf got mad at me because a couple of former female colleagues (he was a nurse) had come back from a round the world trip & sent him a postcard, so I said 'go for a night out with them get all the news!' (I didn't know them at all so no point me going).
He then proceeded to give me (with pride) chapter & verse on how his former girlfriend would have been mad at him for getting a postcard from them let alone suggesting he go on an evening out with them. He was upset that I wasn't mad at him. I guess he was one of those who could really only enjoy a night out if he thought he was being a naughty boy showing the Missus Who Is Boss.

28 Days Later is a 2002 British post-apocalyptic horror film directed by Danny Boyle and written by Alex Garland. It stars Cillian Murphy as a bicycle courier who awakens from a coma to discover the accidental release of a highly contagious, aggression-inducing virus has caused the breakdown of society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Hating your wife, and by proxy , her mother is an absolute cornerstone of Boomer Humour

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I get that if I point out to someone that my mother in law is dead. They rush to say how lucky I am. Usually I have to clarify that she died young, of cancer, it was ugly, it was drawn out and she was a really nice person.

But yeah, some people are weird.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Hating your wife, and by proxy , her mother is an absolute cornerstone of Boomer Humour
Yeah it's not just British, it's almost everywhere in at least the Anglosphere and Hispanosphere and back to the ancient Levant, somewhere up there with fart jokes, dog jokes, and jokes about people walking into a pub.

One day there will come about the ultimate joke about the dog that walks into a pub, farts, and says "my wife sure lives in a society with a code of law" then waggles his canid eyebrow muscles and says "I guess that makes her ma a mother in law" and then everyone claps and cheers and stops using any of it as an excuse to be reactionary about sex and gender roles.

And on that day, that dog will truly be Albert Einstein.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

smellmycheese posted:

Apparently he had other jokes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah it's not just British, it's almost everywhere in at least the Anglosphere and Hispanosphere and back to the ancient Levant, somewhere up there with fart jokes, dog jokes, and jokes about people walking into a pub.

One day there will come about the ultimate joke about the dog that walks into a pub, farts, and says "my wife sure lives in a society with a code of law" then waggles his canid eyebrow muscles and says "I guess that makes her ma a mother in law" and then everyone claps and cheers and stops using any of it as an excuse to be reactionary about sex and gender roles.

And on that day, that dog will truly be Albert Einstein.

I mean there is that old joke about a dog walking into a bar that nobody quite understands any more. Perhaps they already found The Ideal Joke and it just doesn't make sense to us.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

HopperUK posted:

He's the husband of a typical middle-England complainer who probably writes to the Daily Mail

Just think of Hyacinth Bucket (that's pronounced Bouquet btw) talking to her poor husband.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Just Another Lurker posted:

Just think of Hyacinth Bucket (that's pronounced Bouquet btw) talking to her poor husband.

They Norman jokes are exactly what everyone is complaining about then?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I mean there is that old joke about a dog walking into a bar that nobody quite understands any more. Perhaps they already found The Ideal Joke and it just doesn't make sense to us.

A dog walked into a tavern and said, 'I can't see a thing. I'll open this one'. (c. 4500–1900 BC) Sumer

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

A dog walked into a tavern and said, 'I can't see a thing. I'll open this one'. (c. 4500–1900 BC) Sumer

At least the dog wasn't selling substandard copper. :argh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complaint_tablet_to_Ea-n%C4%81%E1%B9%A3ir

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Brendan Rodgers posted:

The ancient Sumerian people on hearing that joke:

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 7, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"And on that pedestal, these words appear:
Coptic peoples drive like this,
And Semitic people drive like this,
And what is the deal with peanuts on the Abydos sailboats?"

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Typical that the thing that finally gets Brits wanting to blow poo poo up is traffic calming measures.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/5Pillarsuk/status/1732820383638626497
https://twitter.com/AFrazzledScot/status/1732821431975637311
https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1732830241536549037
:allears:

Well done Glasgow! :toot:

[edit]

https://twitter.com/carolvorders/status/1732728577672564928

I didn't know about the Infosys link. LOL if this is down to Rishi throwing his toys out the pram.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 7, 2023

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

fuctifino posted:

Well done Glasgow! :toot:

doesn't he know there was a perfectly good branch of subway round the corner he could hide in

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Ok sumer

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Did he get them confused for cyclists

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Was Starmer driving, heard he has previous for running people over.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Noxville posted:

Did he get them confused for cyclists

From the 29er to the D-lock, road tax will be free

I refuse to put more effort into this joke.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I get that if I point out to someone that my mother in law is dead. They rush to say how lucky I am.

that's loving mental. My mother-in-law died a few years ago and if someone pulled that on me they'd be getting a "the gently caress is your problem?" at the very least.

(Because I'm a hard man, ouuuu )

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pretty much anyone that relentlessly moans about their partner annoys me. Its particularly funny when you meet the partner and they're absolutely sound.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/aliciakearns/status/1732812798327923169

e: Keith got accosted on the train.

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1732847589307932829

And the protesters are at the hotel. I hope Keith faces this wherever he goes

https://twitter.com/AFrazzledScot/status/1732848567386046576

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 7, 2023

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
A few years back I was going over to the US to see my then wife and stay with her and my mother in law over Christmas. I quite liked my mother in law. I mentioned this in a group meeting of my team and my boss, who made a fairly standard mother-in-law joke. My response was to poker-face it and ask him to explain the joke. There was quite a lot of silence.

gently caress casual misogyny.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it's honestly fascinating how unpopular starmer manages to make himself while in opposition to such a poo poo government lol

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1732879076338131099

Jeherrin posted:

My response was to poker-face it and ask him to explain the joke. There was quite a lot of silence.

This is my favourite goto response for bigoted jokes.The more innocent and naive you can be, the more painful and embarrassing it is for them while becoming more entertaining for everyone else in the room. Kudos for challenging your boss like that.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
mother in laws getting a weird get out of jail free card from the usual boomer rhetoric

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OwlFancier posted:

Someone offered a new translation and it was like "A dog walks into a bar. His eyes cannot see anything, I guess he needs to crack one open!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Someone offered a new translation and it was like "A dog walks into a bar. His eyes cannot see anything, I guess he needs to crack one open!"

That just makes me wonder if the sumerians had bottled beer in bars.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm always interested in translations that preserve the spirit of the original rather than the literal wording. Like the guy who discovered that most of the jokes in Aristophanes plays still work if you use a Scottish accent for Sparta and a Somerset accent for Boetia, and replace the Sparrow with a Cock.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Not sure in the thread who recommended Small Saga on steam but it's absolutely fantastic! 8-10 hour, laser-focused JRPG about rodent society living underneath modern day London. It is super left and queer and fun, and a lot of the dialogue feels like someone in UKMT wrote it!

I can't recommend it enough!

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Ms Adequate posted:

That's not funny enough either, I reckon best case scenario it's a wordplay or pun thing that doesn't translate, and worst case scenario, the Sumerian equivalent of Ricky Gervais is the one who became immortal, which has dark implications for our own time.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Glasgow is good :unsmith:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Jeherrin posted:

A few years back I was going over to the US to see my then wife and stay with her and my mother in law over Christmas. I quite liked my mother in law. I mentioned this in a group meeting of my team and my boss, who made a fairly standard mother-in-law joke. My response was to poker-face it and ask him to explain the joke. There was quite a lot of silence.

gently caress casual misogyny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53q4pqkEp_w

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Brendan Rodgers posted:

there's also that one about how often young wives fart on their husbands' laps. like, it's close enough to a modern fart joke you can kinda see where it's going, but not really?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

That's not funny enough either, I reckon best case scenario it's a wordplay or pun thing that doesn't translate, and worst case scenario, the Sumerian equivalent of Ricky Gervais is the one who became immortal, which has dark implications for our own time.

Historians think the Sumerian joke was about brothels as they were usually in pubs.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

forkboy84 posted:

Glasgow is good :unsmith:

The fact Kier looks so bewildered that people are holding him to account in that train video is really loving funny.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
His default response to any unplanned interaction with a member of the public is to look politely baffled until either he or they get hustled away.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Strong "Jeeves, what's going on?" vibes from the man who won't shut up about his working class roots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Skeletome posted:

Not sure in the thread who recommended Small Saga on steam but it's absolutely fantastic! 8-10 hour, laser-focused JRPG about rodent society living underneath modern day London. It is super left and queer and fun, and a lot of the dialogue feels like someone in UKMT wrote it!

I can't recommend it enough!

Nice, glad to hear it since I'm definitely getting it for Christmas