Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Data Graham posted:

My biggest mapping wish list item:

MUTE FOR THE FIRST 10 MINUTES OF THE TRIP

I set the nav to my destination 500 miles away upon starting the car so I don't have to do it later while driving, but it insists on explaining patiently to me turn by turn how to get out of my own loving driveway. I know how to get on the 95 god dammit

If the destination is actually a few hours drive away just get in the car and drive and then say “hey siri take me to Baltimore” once you’re out of your neighborhood? Being able to geofence a location for Siri to not give directions would be neat but this also seems like a nonissue.

E: I use “Hey Siri take me home” a lot when I’m driving home from somewhere I’m not too familiar with. Also you can stop navigation by just saying “Siri stop navigation” once you know where you are and don’t need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

~Coxy posted:

You can fix Siri's pronunciation of individual names.
Do you mean the pronunciation field in contacts? Afaik that only works if it’s talking specifically about that contact in your address book for like an iMessage or phone call and not the name in general (e.g. if a third party app like Messenger tried to read the name)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Boris Galerkin posted:

If the destination is actually a few hours drive away just get in the car and drive and then say “hey siri take me to Baltimore” once you’re out of your neighborhood? Being able to geofence a location for Siri to not give directions would be neat but this also seems like a nonissue.

OK sure, if you just need to get to a vague area. But the reason I'm putting in a specific address is that I need to get to a specific address, and I only have that specific address available to me when I'm sitting in my driveway getting ready to pull the convoy out. I'm not trying to be 300 miles down the freeway and then decide it's time to figure out how to get directions to the Downtown Westin at 68320 Barfbag Parkway East, cuz Siri sure isn't gonna be able to help dig it out of an email from three weeks ago

Geofence would be nice yes. It obviously knows how to do that, it knows exactly where I'm going when I get in my car at 4:30 on a Friday

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Data Graham posted:

OK sure, if you just need to get to a vague area. But the reason I'm putting in a specific address is that I need to get to a specific address, and I only have that specific address available to me when I'm sitting in my driveway getting ready to pull the convoy out. I'm not trying to be 300 miles down the freeway and then decide it's time to figure out how to get directions to the Downtown Westin at 68320 Barfbag Parkway East, cuz Siri sure isn't gonna be able to help dig it out of an email from three weeks ago

Geofence would be nice yes. It obviously knows how to do that, it knows exactly where I'm going when I get in my car at 4:30 on a Friday

I mean I’m assuming that a 300 mile drive means you stop at a gas station at some point where you can set up the actual address while you’re filling up.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Apple Maps™️ works great for walking directions, especially with Apple Watch ™️, you don’t need to keep looking at your iPhone ™️

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My wife is going on a trip and is using her iPhone 13 Pro and a projector for a fun movie time with her scouts. We have an auking projector and she bought a lightning to hdmi connector. However, when she plays a movie, it will not play any sound. The volume is to 100 on the projector and her phones plays sound when unplugged.

Any ideas on what we are missing?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My wife is going on a trip and is using her iPhone 13 Pro and a projector for a fun movie time with her scouts. We have an auking projector and she bought a lightning to hdmi connector. However, when she plays a movie, it will not play any sound. The volume is to 100 on the projector and her phones plays sound when unplugged.

Any ideas on what we are missing?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251219105?sortBy=best

Seems intentional.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

We were looking for the audio to come out of the projector speakers so it is a little bit different than that. Thanks for that link though.

Update though, the sound works through YouTube and Disney+ but not VUDU so it must be an app specific issue.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It might be worth using a bluetooth speaker anyway, since I'm assuming the speaker on the projector is pretty lovely.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
While we’re on the topic of iOS mapping apps:

Why the hell did Google start doing this? Where did this come from? Is it a pandemic thing? I hate it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

OldSenileGuy posted:

Why the hell did Google start doing this? Where did this come from? Is it a pandemic thing? I hate it

What’s the matter with you? How is this something to be angry about?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

It is kinda weird it’s spelled that way

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How they spell it in Merrie Olde Engaland.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

OldSenileGuy posted:

username / post combo

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

OldSenileGuy posted:

:jeb:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

withak posted:

How they spell it in Merrie Olde Engaland.

Wait, really? It's not curb?

Is it called "Kerb Your Enthusiasm" in the uk?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’m with you, I hate this. Absolutely awful word to look at

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mister Facetious posted:

Wait, really? It's not curb?

Is it called "Kerb Your Enthusiasm" in the uk?

No, but curb as in human behaviour and kerb as in thing on the side of the road are 2 different things. Hence the old game “kurby” where you try and bounce a football off the kerb on the other side of the road and catch it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I have literally never seen it spelled "kerb" except for in these Google postings. Is that really how they spell it in London? hideous

And even if that IS the case, why the hell is Google using that spelling for me in :911: ?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is it possible to turn a video clip into a Live Photo and have it animate on the lock screen when unlocking the way Live Photos I've taken with the camera work?

I've found apps that claim to do it and they do generate a Live Photo that'll animate in the photos app, but in the wallpaper editor they say "Motion Not Available - Motion from this Live Photo is not supported as a wallpaper".

edit: Okay, seems in iOS 17 they added extra metadata for what counts as a wallpaper-friendly Live Photo, found another app called VideoToLive which can export to the new format. Tried a test video which plays it back all weird and choppy but at least I have something to work with now! I think it wants to do some slow-motion stuff which will really mess up footage from a cartoon or anime or whatever.

Example of the weird warping: https://imgur.com/a/uH37E72
Hope some app dev can work out what magic they need to do for a Live Photo wallpaper to just play at the original speed and without this stuff on it.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 8, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

OldSenileGuy posted:

I have literally never seen it spelled "kerb" except for in these Google postings. Is that really how they spell it in London? hideous

And even if that IS the case, why the hell is Google using that spelling for me in :911: ?

It’s spelled that a lot in various forms of racing since racing is so heavily euro.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

anyone using guy siri voice?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

~Coxy posted:

You can fix Siri's pronunciation of individual names.

I just want to point out that this is a total lie. Anyone who lives or works regularly in a non English country will understand.

I have never been able to get Siri to understand/pronounce common Danish names.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

anyone using guy siri voice?

We switched my FIL’s to the Australian Male Siri because he would always call Siri “the bitch”.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Really not regretting the iPhone 15PM. That 5X camera does shockingly well in a lot of circumstances. The quality is really good considering what it’s able to do at the zoo today. If you already have the PM, don’t sleep on that camera, even if you’re just a dork like me who takes pics of food, people, cats, and funny signs.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I really hope they bring that zoom lense to the non-Max phones - I had an XS Plus and kinda hated how big it was and went back to the smaller sized display when they bumped it up to 6.1”.

I have heard the latest Max’s footprints aren’t that much of a difference to the non-Maxes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This might have been the coolest animated album art I’ve seen yet.

Give it a watch and see.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’ve been using this case for the past few days and while it’s nice for protection in case you’re hiking or doing something where you might reasonably drop your phone, it does make the phone slightly uncomfortable to use one-handed.

Naked Pro is still the way to go.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any wireless earphones in the ~$30 price range that you’d consider passable?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Used AirPods?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rinkles posted:

The headphone thread has been full of people enjoying the Moondrop Space Travel for a while.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

The headphone thread has been full of people enjoying the Moondrop Space Travel for a while.

Was just going to say this. I ordered a pair for my steam deck but they seem on paper pretty legit for the price.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Edit: I just ordered a pair of Moondrop Space Travel as a Christmas gift for my partner and I was super tempted to get myself a set to replace my slowly degrading 1st gen AirPod Pros.

—-

So it’s nearly 2024 and I’ve only just discovered that you can make folders in Photos to hold multiple albums for better organisation.

HOWEVER, you can’t move pre-existing albums into a folder, so I would need to recreate all my photo albums if I wanted to do this 💀

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rinkles posted:

Anker Soundcore have a few models in that range. I have the Life whatever ones from them and they're great. Sound quality, battery life, and noise cancelling are all very good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bottom Liner posted:

Anker Soundcore have a few models in that range. I have the Life whatever ones from them and they're great. Sound quality, battery life, and noise cancelling are all very good.
:yeah:

I've owned a couple pairs of these, including the Life Q30, which if you don't mind spending $25 more, they're on sale right now for $55.99:

https://www.amazon.com/Soundcore-Cancelling-Headphones-Comfortable-Bluetooth/dp/B08HMWZBXC?th=1

If you want to stay in that $30 price range, the Life Q20 are currently on sale for $39.99:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NM3RSRQ?th=1

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

I’ve been using this case for the past few days and while it’s nice for protection in case you’re hiking or doing something where you might reasonably drop your phone, it does make the phone slightly uncomfortable to use one-handed.

Naked Pro is still the way to go.

Using it on a 15PM myself and it does add a good amount of bulk to it. I’d like to use the phone caseless, but the wobble when on a desk from the camera module is too much for me. I’ll probably keep using this case until my Bullstrap sienna case comes in.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Rinkles posted:

This isn't quite meeting your price point, but the Beats Flex is a cheap device with first-class support in iOS (i.e. W1 chip.)
It's not a brilliant device but I doubt any cheap BT headphones are.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iOS 17.2 out now.

Includes Journal app, Action Button and camera enhancements, bug fixes, security updates and more.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’ve been looking forward to trying the Journal app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don’t even know what a journal app is for.