Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea that's kinda the answer I was expecting. I'd pay normal price for The Prophecy but I'm not gonna shell out like $70 for The Prophecy and two mediocre sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Basebf555 posted:

Yea that's kinda the answer I was expecting. I'd pay normal price for The Prophecy but I'm not gonna shell out like $70 for The Prophecy and two mediocre sequels.

I'll be the voice to the contrary and say that I love all three of The Prophecy films, with the only real weakness being that Vigo doesn't come back as Lucifer.

I actually think 2 is the strongest one.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

DTV trash, but not completely awful.

A review that, oddly enough, makes perfect sense in this thread.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

All 5 (!!!) Prophecy movies are streaming on Paramount+

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm definitely not against enjoyable DTV trash I just don't want to pay premium prices for it and I doubt it would look particularly good in 4k anyway.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm looking forward to working through that set. It's also a pretty box, as usual from VS

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Speaking of anthologies, does anyone else remember Nightmare Cafe? I want to say it ran for like six episodes in 1993 or something with Robert Englund as sort of the Rod Serling. I can recall the cafe scenes but none of the stories.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Speaking of anthologies, does anyone else remember Nightmare Cafe? I want to say it ran for like six episodes in 1993 or something with Robert Englund as sort of the Rod Serling. I can recall the cafe scenes but none of the stories.

Yeah I was really into that show, at first I was confused because I thought it was in the NOES universe.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is there anywhere to watch it? I assume YouTube.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Only ever seen one episode and you just reminded me of it!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Looks like it's at least partially on YouTube. Only legit place I can find it is UK Amazon

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

goferchan posted:

Was looking for any 2023 releases I may have missed and checked out Good Boy last night. It was a totally serviceable "girl meets boy and ignores serious red flags" movie but I was a little disappointed it didn't run harder with the premise. He could have basically been any kind of weirdo and it would have been the same movie.

Unbelievably frustrating movie. I get it that Sigrid was supposed to be enraptured by a millionaire but she might be the dumbest person in horror film history which is really, really hard to do

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I remember that show. Not sure if it made a full season though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's a Wonderful Knife is pretty decent. I mean I enjoyed it. Justin Long is great.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Just dropped

That opening scene is amazing and I immediately had to pause and come here about it

Hell yeah, thanks for the heads up. I've been dying to watch Naga again!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CelticPredator posted:

Interesting. Might be interested. What should I put in? I’m trying to get traction for Alienated but people have always been iffy with that lol so idk

Wouldn't hurt to try.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Uncanny is a great Canadian attempt at a British-style horror anthology where all of the stories are about cats. Essential viewing for cat loving horror fans.

Going so far as having Peter Cushing in the wraparound segments as a writer who has discovered that cats secretly run the world. (This is a secret?)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh I've never even heard of The Uncanny. I love me some anthologies and I love me some Peter Cushing. Oh nice it has Donald Pleasance in it as well. Looks good , gonna watch it.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 8, 2023

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

y'all HEAD COUNT loving whips rear end, it's such a good little spook-em-up with just the right amount of paranoia and chills.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It was announced tonight that Jordan Peele and Hideo Kojima are collaborating on a horror game if that is to any interest of anybody

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

goferchan posted:

It was announced tonight that Jordan Peele and Hideo Kojima are collaborating on a horror game if that is to any interest of anybody

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0tmk5lJOSs

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

looking forward to 300 hours of cutting lawns or whatever the hell the gameplay will be this time

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Two men with no editors, it will be at least a 2k hour game

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Jordan Peele saying MGS2 instead of any other metal gear game is how you know he is a true artist

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

y'all HEAD COUNT loving whips rear end, it's such a good little spook-em-up with just the right amount of paranoia and chills.

are we talking about Head Count (2018) or Head Count (2023), cause I remember 2018 being ~fine~ while 2023 seems to be getting quite good reviews

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

VROOM VROOM posted:

are we talking about Head Count (2018) or Head Count (2023), cause I remember 2018 being ~fine~ while 2023 seems to be getting quite good reviews

2018, about the extra person at the air bnb party. I was riveted, it was super fun tracking who all was where.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

2018, about the extra person at the air bnb party. I was riveted, it was super fun tracking who all was where.

the spin-the-bottle / card game sequence is a perfect little tense scene, just keeps ratcheting up and up

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Godzilla Minus One was great. I might like Shin Godzilla a bit more, but both are top tier Godzilla flicks. If they want to continue doing period pieces, I'd love a 60s set flick with Mothra.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Shrecknet posted:

I haven't seen it since 2018, but I remember the setup being really good, a couple great scenes, and then it sort of just petering out.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So Eileen is pretty decent. Very trashy paperback thriller kinda vibes that it leans into.

And frankly, I'd have done all that poo poo if Anne Hathaway was nice to me too.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Leatherhead posted:

I haven't seen it since 2018, but I remember the setup being really good, a couple great scenes, and then it sort of just petering out.

Head Count was well directed with a ton of problems. They had good shots and you could tell the director tried but the bones weren't there. Too many characters and it just peters out like most zoomer horrors. There's no agency in the film. The kids just sort of die, there's a curse on them, done. There are some hints at an idea of The Thing or something like that but it's too subtle around teens just blasting themselves.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

So Eileen is pretty decent. Very trashy paperback thriller kinda vibes that it leans into.

And frankly, I'd have done all that poo poo if Anne Hathaway was nice to me too.

now check out Be My Cat (free on YT)

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 8, 2023

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

now check out Be My Cat (free on YT)

Oh that sounds like a loving nightmare, I'm in.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

i will do anything Anne Hathaway demands even if she isnt nice to me.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
How have I slept on Pontypool all these years? Just watched it in broad daylight and it actually gave me a proper spookadoodle at one point. Highly recommended if you’ve been sleeping on it as I had.

Now heading out to go see Dream Scenario in the theater. Then later tonight I’ll end with either Black Mold (just hit Tubi) or the new Adams family film, Where the Devil Roams.

It’s a good day for horror!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Gary the Llama posted:

How have I slept on Pontypool all these years? Just watched it in broad daylight and it actually gave me a proper spookadoodle at one point. Highly recommended if you’ve been sleeping on it as I had.

Now heading out to go see Dream Scenario in the theater. Then later tonight I’ll end with either Black Mold (just hit Tubi) or the new Adams family film, Where the Devil Roams.

It's a favorite oddball movie of mine. I saw it the first time at like 3 am and wasn't sure if it was my sleepiness or the movie itself causing me to feel so disoriented and tense.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I really liked the Ottessa Moshfegh novel so I've been pretty hyped for Eileen for a while. Wonder if Margot Robbie is still working on a My Year of Rest and Relaxation thing.
The real horror Moshfegh adaptation would be Lupvana. Im picturing something a lot like Hard to Be a God tho you'd prolly wanna change some of the particularly disgusting poo poo.

Also Naga was fun. It didn't blow me away but it was really well made for a debut and the last 15 minutes to so both delighted and intrigued me. The whole movie is just a loop of Indiana Jones grabbing his hat before the stone door falls forever.

I wouldn't recommend Be My Cat tho tbh. Couldn't finish it. It has this intriguing premise and you think it might explore some creepy sorta Bjork Stalker territory but then it's like...oh this is just another horror film where you're going to repetitively torture kill women over and over and over. I'm good...
Pontypool is great tho yeah.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I really liked the Ottessa Moshfegh novel so I've been pretty hyped for Eileen for a while.

Good news, I've not read the book, but apparently the movie is a very faithful adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Gary the Llama posted:

I hope you enjoy Where The Devil Roams! I thought it was great but everyone I've recommended it to ends up mad at me.