Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Let's not rewrite history too much, pushing Swerve and Keith Lee was cool and good and the Acclaimed were one of the most over things in the company and FTR just happened to have tons of awesome matches and one of the best trilogies of all time during this supposed insane bungle.

The tag titles have pretty much always been on exactly who they should be on besides maybe right now, where you should probably just be giving Ricky a singles push.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

MJeff posted:

Let's not rewrite history too much, pushing Swerve and Keith Lee was cool and good and the Acclaimed were one of the most over things in the company and FTR just happened to have tons of awesome matches and one of the best trilogies of all time during this supposed insane bungle.

The tag titles have pretty much always been on exactly who they should be on besides maybe right now, where you should probably just be giving Ricky a singles push.

Agreed except at the very start of AEW - losing to Private Party was interesting I guess but they really should have won the belts out of the gate and leaned into being jackass heels in 2019.

Same as how we never got a true Omega best bout machine run and Cody not turning heel, the great AEW what ifs

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bucks losing in the first tag title tournament was a decent idea since it'd put over another team and you could do a chase. And I could see why they did Private Party even if it didn't mean anything in the long run as Private Party stalled in their growth

Now SCU winning the titles feels like a major miss. Probably should of been Best Friends

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if i can't rewrite history... then i'll drestroy it.

Jeroen
Jun 2, 2004
I have been accused of a stalker!

That DICK! posted:

By The Way was a great album

Probably the best of their second run with John Frusciante.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MJeff posted:

Disagree slightly, with three in particular.
The current champs being obvious like you mentioned. It’s great getting Big Bill more over but Ricky has been shunted down the card massively.
FTR during their belt collector story .
Proud n Powerful should have had a run back when they were hot, it was a big miss at the time not to get another of their home grown teams more over.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

The way Starks & Big Bill won the titles owned and entirely justifies their reign.

No reason it needs to be a 6+ month reign though

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

the two best tag teams in aew are/were PnP and Best Friends and they did the best tag match AEW has ever done, imo if they gave trent and chuck the belts with a lot of promo time and creative input on their various feuds, they would be very big stars because just like OC they tap into a form of modern detached and cynical culture very well when they're given the chance to. Acclaimed were good, Starks and Bill are good, the rest are all some variation of smark team for smark marks and that hits the exact limit of appeal that keeps happening

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i put on a random early dynamite because i was bored and i didn't see any aew before february 2022, and cody rhodes was just referred to as the mononym "cody." what the hell was that? you can't be scared of a guy who says "just 'cody'" and then has that tattoo unless you're scared of a guy stealing your catalytic converter or taking everything prescription in your medicine cabinet because he has a guy who'll buy anything Rx, even if it's for toenail fungus

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

you had to be tghere

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

i put on a random early dynamite because i was bored and i didn't see any aew before february 2022, and cody rhodes was just referred to as the mononym "cody." what the hell was that? you can't be scared of a guy who says "just 'cody'" and then has that tattoo unless you're scared of a guy stealing your catalytic converter or taking everything prescription in your medicine cabinet because he has a guy who'll buy anything Rx, even if it's for toenail fungus

legal reasons, wwe owned the trademark to Cody Rhodes

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

legal reasons, wwe owned the trademark to Cody Rhodes

oh. lol

you can still do better than "cody" imo

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Eat This Glob posted:

oh. lol

That’s what he was going by in the indies and new japan too.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It did give us the very funny way they were announced as Cody and (legally required pause) Brandi Rhodes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

It did give us the very funny way they were announced as Cody and (legally required pause) Brandi Rhodes

100% the reason she got hired

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Eat This Glob posted:

oh. lol

If Cody was dedicated to his craft he'd just have legally changed his name to Cody Rhodes. But sadly he's a hack

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

why not cody "wide open" roads? This is why hes back slumming in the WWE and not killing in the indys with Cardonna

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

CODY andbrandi RHODES

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023

Suplex Liberace posted:

why not cody "wide open" roads? This is why hes back slumming in the WWE and not killing in the indys with Cardonna

Cody really should have been part of the Varsity Blonds and they should have announced him as:
Cody, Cody Bo-Bo-dy
Bo-na-na fanna Fo-fo-dy
Fee-fi-mo-mody
CODY!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Rush always does the same moves in the same order. And half of them are emotes.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So does Orange Cassidy and I mind it way more with Orange than I do with Rush. Knowledge I'm taking from this is that Orange Cassidy needs to be more like Rush.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

magiccarpet posted:

Yeah, but it's cool when he does this because he has immense physical charisma.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

magiccarpet posted:

so does jhon cena and hes great

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

magiccarpet posted:

I’m gonna let you in on a secret. Almost every single wrestler ever does this.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MJeff posted:

So does Orange Cassidy and I mind it way more with Orange than I do with Rush. Knowledge I'm taking from this is that Orange Cassidy needs to be more like Rush.

Don't we all

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

If Cody was dedicated to his craft he'd just have legally changed his name to Cody Rhodes. But sadly he's a hack

its unbelievable to me that he didnt do this.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

magiccarpet posted:

one of those moves is 'just pummeling the other guy' though so its fine.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The_Rob posted:

I’m gonna let you in on a secret. Almost every single wrestler ever does this.

Yeah, but the magic is mixing up the order and throwing in little wrinkles and finding new ways to do old stuff and some wrestlers are definitely better at that than others.

The best I've ever seen at that, shocker, is Okada. Guys has like four moves and he's always finding ways to make it seem fresh.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Dropkick

Elbow Drop

Rainmaker

World Famous Money Clip

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Just for fun.

Rainmaker
Tombstone
Landslide (I think he started doing this in 2019?)
Cobra Flowsion (I think he started doing this last year)
Money Clip
Dropkick
Cradle Neckbreaker
Flapjack
Elbow Drop

I seriously have a hard time thinking of anything else after that. And that's with him adding two high-impact moves in the last couple years.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Does he still do the Scooby Dooby Doo?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Okada's peak is better than anyone else in the world but for me nobody beats Kento Miyahara for sheer consistency, and he's the exact same way. He'll hit the Blackout knee 15+ times over the course of the match (to my delight each and every time) because otherwise he's only got the Big Boot, Headbutt and German Suplex

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I dunno, I mean I think Bret was the first to really have the five moves of doom popularized. It was kind of like the "oh poo poo here we go" moment in his matches where he took control and you knew it was all over for the other guy, so if that person ever broke out of the sequence it was a big deal.

I don't think it's a bad thing. It's communication with the audience that the end of the match is coming, and you can do a lot of things with that in keeping or breaking the expectations. But it's also a big sign that they should really pay attention now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RUSH slander is too much, even for this hosed up thread

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

RUSH slander is too much, even for this hosed up thread

:hmmyes:

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

todays topic: why does AEW keep chasing off its top stars?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

JUNGLE BOY posted:

todays topic: why does AEW keep chasing off its top stars?

Why do they cut deadweight you mean? courage

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Ishii has taught us you only need two moves to be awesome: a german suplex and a vertical suplex. Also good chops but idk if that really counts as a move.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

i think what sucks the most and is making me less enthusiastic about wrestling as a whole is that guys like the young bucks, cody, and punk all talked a big game for years about how important an alternative to WWE is to the wrestling industry and then at the first moment it’s no longer convenient to their egos, they all go right back to being content with WWE regaining its dominance. if it was about money i would understand but that doesn’t seem to be the problem.

if this company survives it will be because of guys like mox and bryan. they should be the real heroes of AEW in the history books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Young Bucks are in WWE?