Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Whinging about how you can't sell cards for pennies on the dollar when they're no longer useful is incredibly dumb. If you really want to pay a dollar for a card and then get 2 cents back once it rotates go back to MTGO, the rest of us will happily get the cards for pennies and then keep them forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
if I could buy cards for pennies on the dollar I wouldn't be speaking out OP

e: what the gently caress, does Arena feed into MTG:O, does my MTG:A collection feed into that online service? that seems like it should be a feature that is advertised if Hasbro-WOTC wanted Arena to succeed

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 7, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It does not, but you can rent, buy, and sell cards on it.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

I don't give a poo poo I'm not spending poo poo on a card i can't hold in my got drat hand, I played fuckin moxes without sleeves motherfucker. you want me to spend money brick it up you lousy weirdo, give me a pack of cards sealed in plastic, i want the fuckin cards motherfucker. soon as you give us the packs to play and keep we'll play and love it, til then you can just take all this digital nothing and shove it up your nobody rear end

I'm out here with this bullshit, I'm loving nowhere with this nothing, I've never done anything and i done it nowhere, I never bought nothing motherfucker I done full on nothing buying whatever, I never done it, you can't pin it on me, I'm forever in this bitch I'm for real, there's nothing that WOTC can force me to buy, I'll buy what I want, I like to buy but they got nothing I wanna buy, give me something to buy motherfucker

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

What in tarnation

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

(it's a reference to dracula flow)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-7gbWKbXbQ

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 7, 2023

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

that does not explain anything about your weird meltdown

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

gonna have to disagree with you there because i'm just having fun and it a free game and everything

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I was a dumbass and forgot to make my final 2 cuts before playhing my first game with this WoE Rakdos quickdraft.

After Scalding Viper won me that game by bouncing a blocker, I'm a little less inclined to cut it. Still, that, Scream Puff, Dragon Mantle and one Witch's Vanity are what I'm considering cutting. What should be my two cuts?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I know to you brawl players boardstates like this are just every day, but this was a very silly game for standard.

Next turn I attacked with a sorcerered Thalia + the created Adeline token, they double blocked Thalia and conceded after their draw step since they were DoB at 34 life.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

anakha posted:

I was a dumbass and forgot to make my final 2 cuts before playhing my first game with this WoE Rakdos quickdraft.

After Scalding Viper won me that game by bouncing a blocker, I'm a little less inclined to cut it. Still, that, Scream Puff, Dragon Mantle and one Witch's Vanity are what I'm considering cutting. What should be my two cuts?

Prism and screampuff, there's very fixing to do in your deck and no bargain so it's just cycle and celebration trigger basically. Screampuff is just not that good in BR.

Viper is an early attacker that also also deals a bunch of unblockable damage if it's not removed, it's a great 2 drop that does not depend on the adventure side to function at all.

Algid fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 7, 2023

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

elbkaida posted:

Sunfall in a go-wide aggro deck seems a bit beside the point anyway?

On the contrary! They'll never expect it.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

BasicLich posted:

i don't have any sunfalls, i don't know what set that's from and what's more I can't sell my sunfalls when they're no longer useful. what are we doing here

e: will you buy me sunfalls

You can't sell (most) paper standard cards when they rotate either, because standard cards are almost always worth exactly $0 when they are no longer playable in standard. Since eternal formats don't get cards from standard anymore, they get cards printed directly into them now.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BasicLich posted:

man what the gently caress is this

it's a midrange deck with a combo top end that lets em get a whole bunch of dinos

if you're playing bo1 then you're probably going to eat poo poo if you don't kill em by turn 5, or counter their carnosaur/quintorious which starts the combo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

BasicLich posted:

i don't have any sunfalls, i don't know what set that's from and what's more I can't sell my sunfalls when they're no longer useful. what are we doing here

e: will you buy me sunfalls

Wildcards don't cost money (unless you pay for them for some reason)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

please don't craft sunfalls unless you're planning to make a whole rear end control deck.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

A Moose posted:

You can't sell (most) paper standard cards when they rotate either, because standard cards are almost always worth exactly $0 when they are no longer playable in standard. Since eternal formats don't get cards from standard anymore, they get cards printed directly into them now.

You know, this articulates something I haven't been able to pin down. Used to be you'd get Standard cards and keep the good ones. Now the "good" ones very rarely matter in the long term. Like even less than before.

So yeah. The reason I dislike Commander and other direct-to-format sets. It just destroys that illusion/desire.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The gambling aspects of these games is the best thing to shatter.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Is that really true though? the most egregious banworthy fuckups of the last ~3 years have mostly come from standard sets. One ring/fury/bowmasters/ragavan/Murktide are all obviously extremely strong cards in the formats they're legal in....but oko, lurrus, yorion, sheoldred, up the beanstalk, uro, field of the dead, once upon a time, and veil of summer were all printed in standard sets.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

imweasel09 posted:

Is that really true though? the most egregious banworthy fuckups of the last ~3 years have mostly come from standard sets. One ring/fury/bowmasters/ragavan/Murktide are all obviously extremely strong cards in the formats they're legal in....but oko, lurrus, yorion, sheoldred, up the beanstalk, uro, field of the dead, once upon a time, and veil of summer were all printed in standard sets.

Yeah and most of those are banned, and mostly likely legit design failures. They don't intentionally put cards strong enough to see modern play in standard sets anymore.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i wouldn't equate veil of summer and up the beanstalk with ragavan and the one ring. sheoldred isn't even banned anywhere

also throne of eldraine is over four years old and we've been seeing the sets designed after that released for a good long while now

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

flatluigi posted:

i wouldn't equate veil of summer and up the beanstalk with ragavan and the one ring. sheoldred isn't even banned anywhere

also throne of eldraine is over four years old and we've been seeing the sets designed after that released for a good long while now

yeah, up the beanstalk is far better than any of those cards

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

A Moose posted:

Yeah and most of those are banned, and mostly likely legit design failures. They don't intentionally put cards strong enough to see modern play in standard sets anymore.

how on earth is Agatha's soul cauldron not "intentionally strong enough to see modern play"? What about Boseiju? Leyline Binding? A card like Tishana's Tidebinder only exists to be used as an answer to The One Ring! They absolutely keep designing cards for modern every set.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

tinaun posted:

how on earth is Agatha's soul cauldron not "intentionally strong enough to see modern play"? What about Boseiju? Leyline Binding? A card like Tishana's Tidebinder only exists to be used as an answer to The One Ring! They absolutely keep designing cards for modern every set.

ikr. add expressive iteration, questing druid etc to the list. It goes on and on. Eternal formats get tools and cards that fundamentally change them with nearly every standard set. wizards intentionally makes cards that scale with the power level of formats and put them into standard. just to use EI again, that card is a medium standard card but a powerhouse as you go back further. they designed it knowing as much. same with questing druid, one of the coolest tools delver decks have gotten in years

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Algid posted:

Prism and screampuff, there's very fixing to do in your deck and no bargain so it's just cycle and celebration trigger basically. Screampuff is just not that good in BR.

Viper is an early attacker that also also deals a bunch of unblockable damage if it's not removed, it's a great 2 drop that does not depend on the adventure side to function at all.

Just finished a game where I had both copies of Witch's Vanity by Turn 3 and just couldn't find a 2-drop for them to target all game. Ugh.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Wait alchemy only uses the last two years vs standard three? Why would… why would I expect anything less than the best decisions concerning alchemy.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
one of their stated goals for alchemy is that it's supposed to be a more rapidly changing format for people who dislike it when standard stagnates, something they've said since way before the decision was made to make standard three years instead of two

obviously that appeal has usually been overridden with people's want to not play with digital-only cards and their opportunity to get people playing at the rotation change got run right over by a LOTR-shaped bus, but it'd be a nice sentiment if it ever actually works in the future

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This Festival in a Box chaos draft event makes it seem like if you get 6 wins you don't get any gems, just a chance to enter. 5 wins refunds 5k gems for event.

Wouldn't mind trying a chaos draft in Arena but not for this event I don't think. Gonna be harder to put a deck together plus harsher reward structure.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Khanstant posted:

This Festival in a Box chaos draft event makes it seem like if you get 6 wins you don't get any gems, just a chance to enter. 5 wins refunds 5k gems for event.

Wouldn't mind trying a chaos draft in Arena but not for this event I don't think. Gonna be harder to put a deck together plus harsher reward structure.

That's how it works, yeah. If you get six wins then you get zero gems, instead you get the physical prize (or $250 in cash, if they ran out of physical prizes).

The money can be exchanged for many peanuts, if that's what you were really after.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ohhh okay, I had scrolled down to look at the packs before reading it and the reward bubble just said "eligible to receive" token and mistook that to mean a chance to win and started draft, still thinking about it. Reading the event explains the event.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Here's a dumb deck with bad cards, which is, so far, my best attempt at making Kutzil work as a card in standard or explorer.

code:
Deck
4 Kutzil, Malamet Exemplar (LCI) 232
2 Jetmir's Garden (SNC) 250
2 Plains (SLD) 1399
3 Monstrous Rage (WOE) 142
1 Mountain (SLD) 1402
4 Illuminator Virtuoso (SNC) 17
4 Etali's Favor (LCI) 149
2 Sovereign Okinec Ahau (LCI) 240
3 Royal Treatment (WOE) 183
4 Invigorating Hot Spring (NEO) 223
2 Gaea's Gift (BRO) 182
2 Tail Swipe (DMU) 182
4 Wedding Announcement (VOW) 45
3 Copperline Gorge (ONE) 249
3 Karplusan Forest (DMU) 250
4 Razorverge Thicket (ONE) 257
4 Brushland (BRO) 259
2 Overgrown Farmland (MID) 265
1 Forest (SLD) 1403
2 Restless Bivouac (WOE) 257
4 Charming Scoundrel (WOE) 124

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Khanstant posted:

Is this effectively RNG and hope you get a good enough sealed deck to get to 6 wins?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tezzeract posted:

Is this effectively RNG and hope you get a good enough sealed deck to get to 6 wins?

You also have to build the deck correctly from your pool, and then play the games correctly instead of punting them away, so it's not all luck.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's a shame they didn't just put mystery boosters in but realistically I can't expect their rules engine to accommodate all the play test cards. Those are what make the messiness of a chaos draft a little more exciting, off chance of getting some really weird new surprise mechanics.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
do note that it's not a phantom draft as far as i can tell, so you'll actually be able to keep those cards even if you scrub out. maybe not the best consolation for that many gems, but hey

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Just in case anyone's thinking about entering that event, 5,000 gems is minimum $25 USD

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

10 turns. 0 goddamn lands drawn outside of the three I got in my opening hand.

And the two copies of Witch's Vanity were worse than useless the whole run. The two games I had them in my opening hand there were no 2-drops to target all game.

gently caress this game up the rear end with a Spiked Ripsaw.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

anakha posted:

10 turns. 0 goddamn lands drawn outside of the three I got in my opening hand.

Skill issue

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

So.. what's the difference between premium drafts and regular drafts?

Traditional drafts I think are the 8 man pods right? And Quick drafts are the ones where you draft with bots?

Which is the best value since I'm sitting on 4 draft tokens from last time I spent money on the game (back in Strixhaven) and I wanna jam some of the flashback set for fetches. I'm mostly a constructed player generally (though I like limited, so I'll probably draft this one a bunch)