Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

our dodgy calculated gdp is superior I scream as our enemies produce more stuff. In the critical battle space of defrauding investors and developing fart apps we will triumph!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

zetamind2000 posted:

been a while since I've seen a russia is a gas station reply

December 6, 2023 post too

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/JayinKyiv/status/1732363640307683600

thankfully dogs of the american empire will be the southern quids who hamstring every attempt by the modern jefferson davis to attempt to reindustrialize america

hey where are the factories that produce the commodities that these companies rely upon

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

zetamind2000 posted:

its not even a reply lol

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

They can't possibly accept this production capacity problem, because it lends a straight path to the fundamental bug of free market capitalism.

Look all you need to do is hit the 'rush build' button. If we had an arch-masters chapel we could buy new units with faith but we don't.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/nezhadnobu90014/status/1732882631342141875

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Apple? Anazon, Walmart? How many tanks do they make in a day?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

You could probably retool at least Amazon warehouses or Walmart distribution to military uses a lot easier than tech or financial companies or anyone in the vast American workforce of office drones pretending to work in bullshit jobs.

If America ever goes to war we'll have those misc bureaucratic operations once called paper pushing on loving lockdown. Plenty of recruits for that. Don't mind our tooth to tail ratio of 1: 100,000.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

hey where are the factories that produce the commodities that these companies rely upon

american finance capital has detached itself from such lowly, base concerns as "needing commodities" and exists in a realm of pure Number

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw_HDR-4fwk

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/ArmchairW/status/1732973810687881230

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

PawParole posted:

https://twitter.com/BankerWeimar/status/1732512538523267211

How many hundreds of articles did the wsj in the 80s and 90s praising offshoring manufacturing

According to my Excel spreadsheet we can have a 1200% bigger military! They have military things on aliexpress right?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

zetamind2000 posted:

To be completely fair I used the "Russia is just a heavily armed gas station" comment IRL some years ago. I wasn't nostradamus and certainly had my fair share of ignorance.

The key distinction is "some years ago". Long before current_thing.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Its funny that even in our own failures they seek to deny Russia a victory. You're not an industrial powerhouse, we just sent our Industry to China

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

KomradeX posted:

Its funny that even in our own failures they seek to deny Russia a victory. You're not an industrial powerhouse, we just sent our Industry to China

My minimising the achievement of the other party they seek the mimise the magnitude of their own failure. It's just a cope.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

KomradeX posted:

This guy is Russian and it’s right, America used to have higher manufacturing production than every other country on earth until the neoliberals deindustrlized it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

PawParole posted:

This guy is Russian and it’s right, America used to have higher manufacturing production than every other country on earth until the neoliberals deindustrlized it.

Much like the USA still thinks Russia is post collapse early 90s style, Russia thought the USA was 1970s super power style. It's all rather amusing once you step back and take it all in.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i think i've said it before, but the whole "gas station with nukes" thing is really funny if you think about it even medium hard. you're basically saying that russia only has a shitload of the thing the world economy literally runs on plus the ability to end civilization as we know it at will and therefore they're weak and can safely be ignored

like, even by the standards of shitlib cope this makes very little sense

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cerebral Bore posted:

i think i've said it before, but the whole "gas station with nukes" thing is really funny if you think about it even medium hard. you're basically saying that russia only has a shitload of the thing the world economy literally runs on plus the ability to end civilization as we know it at will and therefore they're weak and can safely be ignored

That's why it keeps working. Most people don't.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cerebral Bore posted:

laughing at the gas station geedeepee as i lost to the gigantic afghan geedeepee

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Danann posted:

thankfully dogs of the american empire will be the southern quids who hamstring every attempt by the modern jefferson davis to attempt to reindustrialize america
https://twitter.com/smx_pd/status/1732385576756645891

:hmmyes:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

I really like reading Ian Welsh's stuff. I hope he's not a pedo or something.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Listened to an interesting podcast that claimed that GDP doesn't measure how strong an economy is, but instead how interdependent. If I grow my own vegetables, or whatever, that doesn't 'contribute' to GDP in the same way as me having to depend on the market for my caloric needs.

Late to star trek chat but the Borg were hippy star trek writers coming to grips with the fact their revolution is dead and now everyone speaks corporate speak and works in cubicle farms (open office shared workspace borg when).

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ProfessorBooty posted:

Listened to an interesting podcast that claimed that GDP doesn't measure how strong an economy is, but instead how interdependent. If I grow my own vegetables, or whatever, that doesn't 'contribute' to GDP in the same way as me having to depend on the market for my caloric needs.

Late to star trek chat but the Borg were hippy star trek writers coming to grips with the fact their revolution is dead and now everyone speaks corporate speak and works in cubicle farms (open office shared workspace borg when).

yah it’s supposed to measure how much capitalism you have. same reason west germanys gdp was so much higher than east germanys and the citizens were so much wealthier, because in east germany less stuff was transacted on the market and a lot of peoples “assets” were state provided services (that got looted and stolen by west german capitalists in the reunification)

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

ProfessorBooty posted:

What podcast was this?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

DancingShade posted:

According to my Excel spreadsheet we can have a 1200% bigger military! They have military things on aliexpress right?

How about just like the strategic food reserve, we keep the peacetime military around in the form of a monetary reserve? Should save a lot of money and then once we need a military we'll just buy one.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
what i love most about all this is that these people *know* the material reality of.. well, reality. they see the reports, they know the numbers because their ~bottom line~ depends on them

but they can't imagine a world where the answer is not just "more neoliberalism will fix this"

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Cerebral Bore posted:

i think i've said it before, but the whole "gas station with nukes" thing is really funny if you think about it even medium hard. you're basically saying that russia only has a shitload of the thing the world economy literally runs on plus the ability to end civilization as we know it at will

So does Saudi Arabia. Do you consider them to be industrial power house or great military power?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Supposedly PLA debuted a new extra long range AA missile that can shoot 400km.

https://x.com/RupprechtDeino/status/1730920121927925788?s=20

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?nqdaqXb_0bY

President Putin:
"First, in regards to China, we are ready to cooperate with China in any spheres. We have no limitations including military technologies. As we think about the future, the future world order, about ensuring our security, we're letting go of the traditional 'buy and sell' relations. We're thinking about the future, thinking about technology."

One weird trick to defeat the US. Mearsheimers hate this.

Jon Pod Van Damm has issued a correction as of 15:19 on Dec 8, 2023

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

BK not even off the plane and theres already a line forming

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

material reality?

no! number only!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

PawParole posted:

Hell even into the early 80s before all that industry was sent to Asia the Soviet Union wasn't that far off from the US in industrial output. The Soviet Union wasn't hopeless out produced by the US even at the height of American industry

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Was it the inane Daily Show book that had a joke panel about the US streamlining the defence budget by just throwing money in a volcano?

The MIC has made defence worse even though it costs more money. I don't know how better to convey that to normal people. People on C-SPAM get it without a second thought, so idk what it is that makes it hard for regular degular office workers.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I didn’t think neoliberal rot would eat my military!

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

fatelvis posted:

What podcast was this?

I'll link it. I don't think it's very good ultimately tbh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lDTdLQnSQo

It was a youtube recommend I put on last night while decorating. I think this person is just another Jordan Peterson type who sounds more nuanced but is quick to use (softly) right wing rhetorical techniques. Still, the points they make on how a functioning economy can work are interesting.

I'm not here for 'check out my cool economic model' anymore, unless it's from a literal fiction novel or something.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

nato is currently losing to the gas station

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Who knew the thing the entire modern world runs on was valuable?

It's like when people mock China and Russia for producing steel and coal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ProfessorBooty posted:

I'll link it. I don't think it's very good ultimately tbh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lDTdLQnSQo

It was a youtube recommend I put on last night while decorating. I think this person is just another Jordan Peterson type who sounds more nuanced but is quick to use (softly) right wing rhetorical techniques. Still, the points they make on how a functioning economy can work are interesting.

I'm not here for 'check out my cool economic model' anymore, unless it's from a literal fiction novel or something.

btw this is also part of what people mean when they say capitalism creates poverty. like, gdp per capita can be almost 0 but people still have plenty to eat and a place to live in an agricultural based society, but you force those same people off the farms and into the factories and even though their “income” went up they can’t afford rent and to buy food