Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A lot of people can learn a foreign language but aren't good at changing their pronunciation, thus they have a strong accent from their native language. It's not actually that weird. It's a character choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
In the baffling disaster of a detective movie THE SNOWMAN the protagonist's name is Harry Hole, which in Norwegian is pronounced like 'hari hooluh', sort of. The first book in the crime novels he's adapted from makes quite a point of how annoying it is when people pronounce his name like Hairy Orifice.

In the movie he, and everyone else pretending to be from Norway, just call him Harry Hole, as in rear end. I wonder if it was some kind of weird work-to-rule strike on the part of the director and cast, where they decided to make the protagonist's name a joke because they hated the movie so much?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Grand Fromage posted:

A lot of people can learn a foreign language but aren't good at changing their pronunciation, thus they have a strong accent from their native language. It's not actually that weird. It's a character choice.

For as much crap as I've been giving roughly 50% of this show, I've been taking her outrageous Russian as the result of Margo being incredibly isolated since she came to Russia - like, she's just been reading stuff off flash cards she wrote and the Soviet Union's shittiest Russian textbook, and never improving her accent because she's never actually in conversation with anyone beyond a few words when she buys bread every morning. Maybe her listening comprehension is better than it should be because she's just watching Russian TV all day for a decade or so. Of all the problems I have with the season 1 cast still sticking around, "margo sounds very stupid in Russian" is pretty close to the bottom of the list.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

For as much crap as I've been giving roughly 50% of this show, I've been taking her outrageous Russian as the result of Margo being incredibly isolated since she came to Russia - like, she's just been reading stuff off flash cards she wrote and the Soviet Union's shittiest Russian textbook, and never improving her accent because she's never actually in conversation with anyone beyond a few words when she buys bread every morning. Maybe her listening comprehension is better than it should be because she's just watching Russian TV all day for a decade or so. Of all the problems I have with the season 1 cast still sticking around, "margo sounds very stupid in Russian" is pretty close to the bottom of the list.

Yeah, I'm really fine with that explanation. Maybe they could have dropped a line somewhere about how bad her Russian is even after a decade, just to emphasize how she's living as an isolated outsider there.

She does make some mistakes here and there like addressing the baker with the informal/familiar "you", while he is using the formal "you" with her. That's a common beginner mistake for English speakers so I think they added that intentionally.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

She does make some mistakes here and there like addressing the baker with the informal/familiar "you", while he is using the formal "you" with her. That's a common beginner mistake for English speakers so I think they added that intentionally.

The reverse of this phenomenon annoys me whenever I'm exposed to teevee with Finnish subtitles, often it is clear from context that the English-speaking person would use the formal "you" in Finnish but the (underpaid and quite likely not even seeing the show, just working off a transcript) translator translates it into the familiar "you" and makes every lawyer etc. look like a total jackass.

Although maybe I'm just :corsair: since the formal form of address is vanishing in our language too :smith:

Anyway, on-topic, I don't speak Russian, but I think the show made it abundantly clear that Margo is an absolute stranger in a strange land, her only friends are the bakery dude and the newspaper stand dude. I don't remember how the show's time-line dealt with the details of the civil rights movement in the US per se, but Margo should be aware that it's a really, really bad idea to interrupt the (Soviet, too!) cops when they're manhandling someone, so I took it to mean that while she acted on impulse, she also was genuinely upset that the newspaper man was being bludgeoned.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Just started watching this show. I bounced off it two times because URRGGHH i dont care about the politicsssss.

But then I realised that actually this is the slow, science fiction show I was looking for. I'm on Episode 6 right now and really enjoying jt.

Does anyone have links to the older threads? Having trouble finding them and id like to read them along with the show :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

alexandriao posted:

Just started watching this show. I bounced off it two times because URRGGHH i dont care about the politicsssss.

But then I realised that actually this is the slow, science fiction show I was looking for. I'm on Episode 6 right now and really enjoying jt.

Does anyone have links to the older threads? Having trouble finding them and id like to read them along with the show :)
:allears:

Couldn't find one for S1, here's S2: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958680

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, it's completely believable that someone who only really started learning a language in their 40s/50s is not going to be very good at it and will retain their original accent. In Margo's case I can clearly hear the Texas twang. I think it's a point in the show's favor TBH.

The other post about how she's also not getting much practice is spot on too. In E4 they specifically said even at Roscosmos people were instructed to not talk to her, and this is the one place in town where she would otherwise be more in her element. So she's stuck with only talking to people in food service and newstands, briefly and superficially. So yeah, her language skills aren't going to be amazing after that.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Yeah, it's completely believable that someone who only really started learning a language in their 40s/50s is not going to be very good at it and will retain their original accent. In Margo's case I can clearly hear the Texas twang. I think it's a point in the show's favor TBH.

The other post about how she's also not getting much practice is spot on too. In E4 they specifically said even at Roscosmos people were instructed to not talk to her, and this is the one place in town where she would otherwise be more in her element. So she's stuck with only talking to people in food service and newstands, briefly and superficially. So yeah, her language skills aren't going to be amazing after that.

I do too. I struggle with accents any time I attempt to speak Spanish, even if I get it "technically" correct.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
When do new episodes normally drop? Midnight EST?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
8 or 9 pm est.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Cojawfee posted:

8 or 9 pm est.

Oh wow really? I didn’t realize it’d be that early

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Nichael posted:

I do too. I struggle with accents any time I attempt to speak Spanish, even if I get it "technically" correct.

Even people moving between English speaking countries usually keep their accent for life unless they moved quite young. I’m honestly surprised anyone even raised “Margo has an accent” as an issue, like have they never met an immigrant before?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

When do new episodes normally drop? Midnight EST?

it's up now :toot:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

hell yeah gently caress you Ed :lmao:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Dang, a lot of stuff in that episode.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The month of travel to get to Mars?? Singular???

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pinterest Mom posted:

Nuclear propulsion is cool.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Was some of the acting in that really bad or am I just that stoned?

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Oh no, run away from that man, Aleida. Run as fast as you can.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

The fusion drive is the handwave that made the Mars colony feasible. I don't remember if they dropped some expository dialogue about it in the first couple of episodes, but it's definitely covered in the season lead-up shorts.

e:fb

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Boris Galerkin posted:

They have some kind of fusion engine now that lets them fly to Mars in 31 days. I just assumed this meant they have pseudo-proto-Epstein drive technology by now.

I think the technology might be based off of this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Fusion_Drive

With some magical tv science improvements as that wiki says that the people doing the research, a company, claims Mars missions in 4 months times and not 1.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 8, 2023

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love Margo’s bad southern Russian accent. It’s great. It makes me happy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Do they have multiple ships now ferrying back and forth? Will never stop laughing if they have Ed taken off Mars while Kelly is on her way there.

Also I'm more and more convinced on the season finale/flash forward being an independent Mars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was fully expecting that light to be aliens or something.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Cojawfee posted:

I was fully expecting that light to be aliens or something.

this was honestly my first thought when it happened even though I really don't think they would do it

no one has gotten a close look at it yet though, could still be a flying saucer made of iridium :v:

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Danny's "dead" body was weird. I assume he asphyxiated or something but it was hard to tell. Kinda funny how chekov's buried pistol didn't seem to play a part after all.

Ed completely deserved that roasting at the end from Poole. Lol at him accusing her at running away when he's been deathly afraid of going home.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Laughing Zealot posted:

Kinda funny how chekov's buried pistol didn't seem to play a part after all.

expectations subverted :tviv:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I feel like Dev has his heart set on an independent Mars, but also that it’s not remotely possible. They’ve got like a hundred people! And yeah, they might end up with the biggest piece of economic leverage in history, but still.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
The people down below were foreshadowing a massive migration with thousands moving to mine Iridium.

Also, Aleida going to Soviet Union will definitely have her meet with Margo.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Asteroid Alert posted:

Also, Aleida going to Soviet Union will definitely have her meet with Margo.

I didn't think about this but that's a good call

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

So the smuggler man is poisoning our prole hero now, right? I thought the happy fee-fees were a set-up for him getting busted for tax fraud and interplanetary customs violations, but I guess a corpse it is :shrug:

Loved the Gore ribbing :allears: Is the Ron character some real person, or fiction?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rappaport posted:

Loved the Gore ribbing :allears: Is the Ron character some real person, or fiction?

Ron Klain, he was chief of staff to both Al Gore and Biden as VPs, and to Biden as POTUS. Extremely online, saved the country from ebola.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Thanks! Checking his wikipedia page and they even cast a somewhat lookalike :haw: Also, the show has weirdly reached a point in history where I'm no longer hip enough to get these references :smith:

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Repurposing Gore's "I invented the internet" gaffe as a plot point is strong work, haha. Enjoying this season a lot so far.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Finally Ed Baldwin's uppance has come!

(who am I kidding he's going to make a coup attempt once Dev gets up there)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
lol You're right. Ed is going to convince Dev that Danielle did a coup to remove him from flight status for no raisin and now she must leave Mars forever.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

aBagorn posted:

Finally Ed Baldwin's uppance has come!

(who am I kidding he's going to make a coup attempt once Dev gets up there)

I'm curious how this will play out. They're making Dev Big Love seem kind of unwound at the seams ("it was a spontaneous decision", really Dev?), Ed is really upset his ladyfriend was sent to the farm upstate, and Dani is having all sorts of trauma flashbacks. And obviously the evil, Actually Communist Commies™ are going to try and :siren: STEAL ARE ASSTERRHOID :siren:, so Mars might have their Mycroft Holmes moment but is there anyone sane left to be in charge? Kelly?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

mr. unhsib posted:

Repurposing Gore's "I invented the internet" gaffe as a plot point is strong work, haha. Enjoying this season a lot so far.

I :lol: very hard at this

as other posters have mentioned itt, show is sorta rough without Space Karen/Gordo/Tracy etc. Very curious to see where the rest of the season goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

So I've just completed a full re-watch after I realised season 4 has started. I actually found my opinion on the show has shifted seeing the first three seasons in a relative short space of time.

A couple of the characters I used to either dislike or outright hate (Margo, Karen, loving hell I cannot believe I am saying this Danny) I feel differently about.

I really liked Margo season 1 and 2, but previously I thought that Margo's storyline veered off in a bad direction suddenly in Season 3. On the rewatch it actually develops at a good pace in the binge watch and you can see how quickly she goes from "helping out a fellow scientist/engineer" to "holy gently caress I am actively spying for the USSR". I'd really like to see how she actually escapes the JSC bombing later in the season.

Karen's motivations seem a bit more grounded when you are seeing her storyline develop - from a wife who's concerned for her husband making increasingly poo poo decisions, to losing her son in tragic circumstances, then her daughter going off to Mars etc. She was a great counter to Dev in the third season.

Danny... okay the initial Karen storyline loving SUCKED. Their initial romance was icky and gross and we could have all done without it. However, learning later on that he became an alcoholic, stalked Karen, was a general terrible human being... that doesn't mean I think he's a good person or anything, but I understand his character a lot more having seen it all the way through and then watching it from the start. Failson still absolutely sucks though.

Oh also when Kelly is hooking up with the Russian they gently caress in the greenhouse when they're already low on water (i.e. don't have anything to clean themselves this is spelled out clearly) and then immediately she goes and hangs out with different people that is gross as gently caress and also pretty funny.

Onto Season 4:

Holy gently caress Ed needs to die. Like his storyline makes sense, he knows that he is on the way out and going home confirms that. It was the same issue he had in Season 3 which led him to Helios. So he maroons himself on Mars and decides he is in charge now. But it's clear that power has gone all the way to the very top of his head. He is putting people in danger every day and this is the end of him. I'm glad Danielle showed up and cottoned on to his bullshit quickly.

Miles is dumb as a box of rocks and I kind of dig it. Reading the thread it was odd to people be so surprised that he didn't realise he was going to get hosed over. It was clear when he went for the interview he was desperate, he was offered the Mars mission because it was sooner and he jumped at the opportunity. Of course he wasn't going to read the paperwork. Now he's loving over the smuggler guy that's not going to end well.

The power trio of Aleida/Kelly/Dev is going to be interesting to watch. The power dynamic is interesting to see and I hope they discover actual proper life because that is the obvious next step of the series. Oh, Bill deserved better, goddamn it, but seeing him just hang out building his spaceships was cool.

Margo is going to have a reveal at some point and it'll be interesting to see how that goes down. Her repeated interrogations was a good plot line.

My theory for the rest of the season/future of the program is that Dev goes to Mars and tries to make it independent, but a revolution happens at roughly the same time that doesn't want him as leader. Kelly discovers actual alien life - not just microbes, but something more significant. They're not sending her to Mars to do nothing - which brings the two sides together. Mars gets it's independence using the Iridium as a bargaining chip, which also leads to Lunar independence (the strike/revolution spreads there). That sets the parameters for future expansion - led by the M-7 (or what remains of it/what it's expanded to), but once they reach resource independence they get political independence. Season 5 is the exploration/exploitation/settling of the rest of the solar system led by astroid mining and the search for more extraterrestrial life.

One of which is...

No.

It's can't be.

"HI BOB"