Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Vox Nihili posted:

They probably have something suggesting that caffeinated people buy more stuff

Maybe, but at a restaurant? Stims are the exact opposite of what you want people to be having if you want them to eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

my bony fealty posted:

a classic red bull has like 80mg caffeine and now all the Bang! and Ghost and whatever poo poo has 300mg. even the caffeinated seltzers they market as metabolic boosters and fat burners and pre-workout like Celsius have 160-200mg. insane lol.

my ex-job had a coffee machine like 20 feet away from my desk and at one point i was drinking like 6 cups a day before i cut back bc the dentist said it was staining my teeth and i got massive headaches on weekends without caffeine

now i'm off both caffeine and sugary soda (bought a drinkmate and adapter) and no longer have constant teeth issues

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

my bony fealty posted:

a classic red bull has like 80mg caffeine and now all the Bang! and Ghost and whatever poo poo has 300mg. even the caffeinated seltzers they market as metabolic boosters and fat burners and pre-workout like Celsius have 160-200mg. insane lol.

when i worked construction, one of the guys would drink a bang and drop a caffeine pill in it to dissolve at 7am. theres a million energy drinks and they always try one-upping eachother.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
lego should cost more than a video game as lego is a physical object

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Don't Lego hold their value better than pretty much any other product? That's an heirloom son.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

err posted:

when i worked construction, one of the guys would drink a bang and drop a caffeine pill in it to dissolve at 7am. theres a million energy drinks and they always try one-upping eachother.

construction worker diet seems so unhealthy

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

woke operator posted:

:iamafag:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

vox nihili how are you so consistently stupid

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

woke operator posted:

:awesome:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

woke operator posted:

:batuka:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Xaris posted:

wait.. so he ordered 3 of them? jesus lol. imagine dying over eating fuckin' panera bread

i drink a shitton of coffee non-stop from morning till night and i still don't crack nearly as much as one of those would have, let alone 3!!!

I think the guy was mentally disabled but living independently. it’s really quite sad.

only thing Panera said was “we stand behind our products”

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Xaris posted:

wait.. so he ordered 3 of them? jesus lol. imagine dying over eating fuckin' panera bread

i drink a shitton of coffee non-stop from morning till night and i still don't crack nearly as much as one of those would have, let alone 3!!!

he didn't order them they're just out next to the pop machine and coffee and are barely labeled caffeinated. dude probably just thought he drank 3 lemonades

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

Who the gently caress enjoyed 2020? What kind of nutcase situation were you in?

it freaking owned

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Homeless Friend posted:

it freaking owned

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Homeless Friend posted:

it freaking owned

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

2021 was the bad year

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Homeless Friend posted:

it freaking owned

Yeah we got to watch cop cars burning like once a week let's bring that back

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Maed posted:

he didn't order them they're just out next to the pop machine and coffee and are barely labeled caffeinated. dude probably just thought he drank 3 lemonades

I actually didn't know it was caffeinated at all.

One thing I remember from the last time I went to Panera is that drinks were now like $3.50 for a regular or something outrageous, OR you had the option to pay $12/mo for the unlimited coffee/Tea/soda club. That's probably a factor in people chugging so much of this, either trying to get their money's worth on a $3.50 drink and/or make use of that $12 drink subscription

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Fitzy Fitz posted:

2021 was the bad year

Are you implying there were good years?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

skooma512 posted:

One step closer to finally getting paid in live bees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_4BSoXSoc4

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Thoguh posted:

I know AI destroying the internet is well trodden territory in this thread but this is a great one.

https://bsky.app/profile/magscolv.bsky.social/post/3kfvud5j5y32s

It's real, third result for me too: https://www.ownyourownfuture.com/they-pay-me-in-woims/

:lmao:

This rules

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

text editor posted:

drink subscription
lol

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Smart people sign up for subscriptions.

https://cnn.com/cnn/2023/11/29/business/red-lobster-endless-shrimp-deal/index.html

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Many years ago, but I remember how the CEO of Red Lobster had to address the "all you can eat crab legs" promo being quite a hardship.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Homeless Friend posted:

it freaking owned

people were and are so anxious to return to a pre-2020 status quo that will never really exist again and that's baffling and hilarious to me

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

people were and are so anxious to return to a pre-2020 status quo that will never really exist again and that's baffling and hilarious to me

well the 90’s are back in vogue now so in a decade or two young teens are going to be retro emo (retremo?) to be cool

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Jel Shaker posted:

well the 90’s are back in vogue now so in a decade or two young teens are going to be retro emo (retremo?) to be cool

already here:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7301910616338369834

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

I am both lmao and :catstare: at once

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hell yeah! I love Midwest emo nostalgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnsOcvGdLu4

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
The jobless rate fell 3.7% in November, compared to a forecast of 3.9%. The economy added 199,000 jobs, slightly ahead of the 190,000 estimate from Dow Jones and the 150,000 added in October.

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1733119540303708378

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Paradoxish posted:

I would love for things to be an upward trajectory. I don't really think things are better now.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Eric Cantonese posted:

I would love for things to be an upward trajectory. I don't really think things are better now.

good news, look no further than the average global temperature and you'll find the type of trajectory you're seeking

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

err posted:

The jobless rate fell 3.7% in November, compared to a forecast of 3.9%. The economy added 199,000 jobs, slightly ahead of the 190,000 estimate from Dow Jones and the 150,000 added in October.

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1733119540303708378

Every time I see things like this I ruminate on a potential realignment in which work was not linked to livelihood and we could invert this trend to reduce jobs and transition to a leisure society.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

looks like they have admitted they were consulting other shrink with theft.

https://www.startribune.com/us-retail-lobbyists-retract-claim-half-of-losses-were-from-theft-shiplifting-crime-target-walgreens/600325118/

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

and they added “steal from retailers' warehouses and trucks,” to shoplift

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

it freaking owned

the brief glimpse of what UBI would be like was pretty cool

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lol, oops.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the brief glimpse of what UBI would be like was pretty cool

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

anime was right posted:

remember that shrinkage also includes stuff that was ordered but never fulfilled (its all things paid for but never able to be sold, not necessarily theft). that data is specifically taken from the fiscal year where the supply chains completely broke down. lowes was probably impacted the most by supply chain issues given their industry.

its very likely that was cherrypicked for that very reason

anime was right posted:

wow are you telling me CEOs would lie

here is a thought: C people at these companies need a scapegoat for lowered profits (and since shrinkage did go up, theyre quoting that). but shareholders are going to demand some blood if they dont make some kind of change, so they just chose the stores most likely to unionize/most expensive to operate because of state/city laws and just axed a few of them to make the shareholders feel like they did something smart

anime was right posted:

yeah. the shrinkage numbers include that, and overall fraud is up like 50-80%.

so going by this, actual retail theft went DOWN and strategic outpaced it dramatically.

anime was right posted:

lol i did some digging, apparently 35% of shrinkage is due to theft. most of it is due to vendor/administrative fraud

doomsday economics: we're always wrong but also always right

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

UBI would completely remove any class and political power from people, so really you just have to look ahead a decade, two, maybe a generation and see that the people obsessed with profits and who are ideologically poisoned against not just a welfare state, social welfare (in the sense of communal wellbeing) but the idea of society in general, and realize that given people would have total dependance on them, would be removed from any political power, lose the ability to use labour as leverage, and presumably be more socially isolated than ever and so unable to organize, the temptation to just starve out undesirables by ending UBI (which would be used as justification to cut most social benefits once implemented, that's how liberals talk about UBI now anyways) would be insurmountable.

I feel like a lot of squishy anarchist, progressive liberal types see UBI and MAID as positive things and not the perfect Calm Hitler solution to surplus labour, a play in two acts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

anime was right posted:

doomsday economics: we're always wrong but also always right

here’s why that is. it’s relatively easy to see casual loops if one is looking at a system honestly. if one can see the causal loops, then one can have a good sense of eventual states of the system. So to see what will happen isn’t impossible or hard really.

But to know when things will happen or a quantifiable scale of how much or the degree to which a thing will happen, or the frequency of an oscillation, needs real in depth modeling of the systems, rooted in good detailed data, improved by iteration and being tested against actual outcomes. which is all really really hard and requires participation of the people who are directly involved in running the systems which we wouldn’t ever get.

so we are damned to see what will happen, but without the timeline or degree, and thus never able to do anything about it or to benefit from knowing other than indirectly.