Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

fuctifino posted:

I got mine this year by lying that I was in regular contact with someone who was immunocompromised and undergoing chemotherapy.

Yeah last year they didn't check and I didn't have to lie so I was completely unprepared. Not sure if I'll try again at another place but I'll keep the not-living-with-but-still-regular-contactee idea.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Seems ridiculous when it is running riot and many people don't actually want one.

I'm not in the city so it seems better, but I don't see why they get to be cool last year but jobsworths today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

It's amazing that instead of it creating an East Asian style culture of wearing masks anyway during flu season just in case, it created a culture of harassing people deciding to wear them. Because of freedom or something.

As someone pointed out - the main thing missing from all the endless zombie apocalypse media is how intensely loving stupid it will all be. Even Sean of the Dead was too generous.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Fatty posted:

Probably been posted here before, but I just heard this on 6Music and it immediately made me think of the UKMT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anlghGgWuAs

They’re a very UKMT band in general. I saw them in London recently. They had one bit between songs along the lines of “gently caress the tories? Obviously. But also gently caress Keir Starmer!”

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Colour me surprised:

quote:

Labour officials could not guarantee, however, that they would overturn the change if they won the next election.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/08/part-time-and-shift-workers-to-lose-up-to-248m-holiday-pay-in-uk-rule-change

quote:

Ministers are cutting holiday allocations and pay for irregular and part-time workers, at a cost to staff of up to £248m a year.

The government is changing how holiday days and pay are calculated for people who do not work full-time throughout the year, such as shift-workers, school employees and those on zero-hours contracts.

This will mean that instead of receiving full holiday rights at the beginning of the year in the same way as full-time workers, 5 million British workers on temporary or irregular contracts will have to gradually gain them during the year.

Experts say the change is one of the most significant erosions of employment protections since the UK left the EU working time directive.

etc

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/08/part-time-and-shift-workers-to-lose-up-to-248m-holiday-pay-in-uk-rule-change

Seems to me that the Starmeroid wants the tories to bring in heaps of antisocial legislation and then more or less say there's nothing the new Labour govt can do about it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

Keith has now flip-flopped on wanting to shag Thatcher

lol it's like he thinks people still get their news off teletext

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

lol it's like he thinks people still get their news off teletext

I expect he'll claim it was a deep-fake that said he admired Thatcher (or vice versa depending on the audience).

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I expect he'll claim it was a deep-fake that said he admired Thatcher (or vice versa depending on the audience).

Fuctifinos deepfake pal has done one today of Jimmy Savile enthusiastically endorsing Keith

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-67654360

quote:

A Leicester woman who was threatened with deportation after 42 years in the country has now been told she can stay.

Leonarda Zarcone, 74, is a French citizen who applied for EU settled status after Brexit.

Ms Zarcone said she missed the deadline to provide more information because an email ended up in a "junk folder".

But after the BBC contacted the Home Office on Thursday, she received an email the following day telling her she has residency.

Translation - 'When we were briefly challenged about this we realised we had absolutely zero proof we'd tried to contact this person outside of the one email in the junk folder and swiftly realised it was a fuckup to even reject her in the first place.'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Her case was accidentally filed under "Antiguan men who looked at a cannabis once in 1985" and this has been corrected.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

So about the Elizabeth line losing power yesterday:
https://twitter.com/jacekbroni/status/1733040699572912180

It was all due to this:
https://twitter.com/The_TUC/status/1733162887047246104

lol and lmao

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1733130457695363404

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Things will at best remain the same.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The beatings will continue and morale will never improve.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I've hosed up at work before, but I know I'll never gently caress up so bad I scabbed and destroyed a train line in the same hour.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

(Not UK) I got mine by ignoring what it said on the health ministry's site about age, and typing my actual birth year into the totally separate vaccine booking site, and didn't get questioned at any point.

Everyone else at the vaccine centre was old though.

Then I got Covid the next day anyway :( double immune! Or something...

Guavanaut posted:

It's amazing that instead of it creating an East Asian style culture of wearing masks anyway during flu season just in case, it created a culture of harassing people deciding to wear them. Because of freedom or something.

Of course we couldn't even settle in the middle (i.e. the superior position by definition :smuggo:) of letting people wear masks and leaving them alone when they do

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

I've hosed up at work before, but I know I'll never gently caress up so bad I scabbed and destroyed a train line in the same hour.
It's not scabbing if he intended it that way :eng101:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's not loving up if I intended to do the damage. :c00lbutt:

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Colour me surprised:

Seems to me that the Starmeroid wants the tories to bring in heaps of antisocial legislation and then more or less say there's nothing the new Labour govt can do about it.

I’m very confused by this, isn’t it normal for permanent workers to accrue holidays throughout the year too?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

It's not scabbing if he intended it that way :eng101:

Oh, I have to figure out a way to make that my av.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

Since this is basically the Train Thread with some slight derails, how you can drive a train wrong and damage the cables? I'm curious because it sounds like a very narrow line between "cables being stretched out of place" and "oops train fell on the ground".

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Idly leafing through some of the absolute nonsense I had to pretend to take seriously at university.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Since this is basically the Train Thread with some slight derails,

Sensible chuckle

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

From that lbc article

quote:

GWR has defended the driver, insisting he was "fully qualified with competence up to date".

"The only people who can drive trains are competent drivers with route knowledge and competence maintained," a spokesperson said.

"As yet, there is absolutely no evidence the OHLE (overhead electric equipment) fault was due to a train."

Lol at this:

https://twitter.com/paulchowdhry/status/1732870126616056008

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Since this is basically the Train Thread with some slight derails, how you can drive a train wrong and damage the cables? I'm curious because it sounds like a very narrow line between "cables being stretched out of place" and "oops train fell on the ground".

Probably didn't shut the boot

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

quote:

Since this is basically the Train Thread

quote:

People are using train tracks as toilets,

Checks out

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Trackside loafer

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
not even a noteworthy event now for people to poo poo on train tracks

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Leavings on the line.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The brown line

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Hot take incoming

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
That sure is a set of flags on her Twitter bio.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Personally, I'd change my profile picture from the rictus-grin-and-suggestive-but-tasteful-cleavage thing she's got going on before I commented on someone else's appearance, but maybe I just need to turn my monitor on.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Pistol_Pete posted:

That sure is a set of flags on her Twitter bio.

The blue and orange squares means she likes Terry's chocolate orange

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Scab driver leaves the station with the pantograph elevated incorrectly, notices during travel, tries to put it into the correct position while the train is in motion, pantograph goes "what the gently caress" and breaks.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
My pantograph is off the charts

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

mrpwase posted:

Scab driver leaves the station with the pantograph elevated incorrectly,
oh no he didnt

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mrpwase posted:

Scab driver leaves the station with the pantograph elevated incorrectly, notices during travel, tries to put it into the correct position while the train is in motion, pantograph goes "what the gently caress" and breaks.

To be honest I didn't know the pantographs were like, controllable. I thought they were just kinda... the way they are.

Like how the train doesn't come with a track gauge selector.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I’m very confused by this, isn’t it normal for permanent workers to accrue holidays throughout the year too?

Yes it is, which I guess means the article isn't clear enough on what's changing.

I think it means a temp worker can't book holiday they haven't accrued yet. Ie you can't book a weeks holiday in Jan because you'd only accrue 2.4 days that month. You'd have to wait until March to take a week off.

I'm not sure though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

serious gaylord posted:

Yes it is, which I guess means the article isn't clear enough on what's changing.

I think it means a temp worker can't book holiday they haven't accrued yet. Ie you can't book a weeks holiday in Jan because you'd only accrue 2.4 days that month. You'd have to wait until March to take a week off.

I'm not sure though.

This is how I understood it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
keir's going to come out swinging his handbag thatcher-style and say those people going toilet on train tracks only did it because they're hooligans who enjoy that kind of thing