Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

I'll give them credit though, Hellblade 2 looks incredible.

Watched the Sega thing again (new Jet Set Radio looks so loving good) and while it's awesome they're revisiting all these IPs and their classic style, I do think the new Streets of Rage looks a bit odd and is an unusual decision when Streets of Rage 4 is so awesome and I'd have thought they'd want those devs back making number 5? Weird choice.

They seem to be committing to this for the coming years and hinted there's more stuff in the works which has me hoping there's also a traditional arcade Sega racing game coming sometime, because a Daytona USA/Scud Race style arcade racer would be really refreshing. The glimpse we got of the new Crazy Taxi looked great.

Yeah I don't think anyone wants a 3D Streets of Rage, especially after SoR4. Seems totally unnecessary. If I were on that dev team I'd feel like I was getting marched off a cliff. Shinobi and Crazy Taxi were the only 3-second clips that looked promising to me. Golden Axe looks totally generic and JSR's cel shading looks mostly generic, like the original style got severely watered down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm the one person who liked the weird 3d streets of rage game on the ps1 or whatever but I am not sure even I will want or care about a 3d streets of rage in 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

they can do whatever the gently caress they want if they keep churning out yakuza games every year lol

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Love that the new Like a Dragon game looks very classic Sega with the sunny blue skies, palm trees and beaches :3:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I'd like a new Virtua Fighter, personally.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That and also a new Panzer Dragoon.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Being Gunvalkyrie back, make it even sillier

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

A new Virtua Fighter, but retain that hilarious blockiness of the 90s

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I said come in! posted:

That and also a new Panzer Dragoon.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Fighting genre is huge right now so if Sega started work on a new Virtua Fighter to launch in 2-3 years it would probably hit at just the right time people would be excited for something fresh. They might just be content with porting older games to Yakuza, though? I think they put Fighting Vipers in the latest one and apparently Virtua Fighter 3 is rumored for the new Like a Dragon game. Could probably use Yakuza to promote a new VF if they had a guest character or two in there, or go crazy and bring back Fighters Megamix so the Daytona USA Hornet can beat the poo poo out of PepsiMan again.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

SUNKOS posted:

Fighting genre is huge right now so if Sega started work on a new Virtua Fighter Power Stone to launch in 2-3 years it would probably hit at just the right time people would be excited for something fresh.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Powerstone with online multiplayer, I would pay very good money for that blessing.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

John F Bennett posted:

If you have Game Pass Ultimate, Immortals of Aveum Deluxe Edition can now be bought for 8 bucks!

The regular edition is 40 bucks, if you prefer that one instead.

It's now back to 50, guess this means it was a mistake?

Dammit, should have bought it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/video-games/2023/12/08/sega-reboots-crazy-taxi-jet-set-radio/

quote:

Sega also promises to revive even more legacy properties. Fighting game fans have been wondering why the first 3D fighter series Virtua Fighter is so dormant. Utsumi said the company is aware of the game’s niche status.

“We are evaluating right now. Virtua Fighter doesn’t use so many tricks, special moves like in Street Fighter, it’s very realistic,” Utsumi said. “How can we make it more dramatic? It’s something we’re working on.”

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

It's now back to 50, guess this means it was a mistake?

Dammit, should have bought it.

Looks like really short deals because I didn't have issues with Dead Space so I guess they'll just let people keep it in any case?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

The relatively grounded and dare I say dry feel is what makes it cool though.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
Regarding the Sega games

Shinobi looked good
Jet set looked good. Hope they lean into hi-fi rushs aesthetic a bit more.
Golden axe looks good
Jury’s still out on Street of rage
Crazy taxi I want to like but it seems like multiplayer only
Or a gaas game. Graphics look cheap too

My hope for the future? Bring back the racing games like Sega Rally and Scud racing
I would like to see more Saturn games resurrected as well

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Twerk from Home posted:

If I'm going to armchair quarterback this, Immortals made a big mistake by targeting 60fps. Digital foundry called out that neither the PS5 nor Series X can actually sustain 60fps, and they are running some effects at half rate anyway so some entities animate at 30fps anyway.

On Series S, it just doesn't have the juice to do 60 on anything but last gen or intentionally simple titles, the recipe for Series S success is a rock solid 30fps and using a scaler to scale up to 1080p or maybe even 1440p.

Didn't Immortals both try to hit 60 and scale up to 4K? It's just targeting too many pixels.

On a similar note, the DF nerds reviewing the GTA6 trailer were unanimous that with the details and amount of effects they could see in the trailer, it’s probably going to run at 30fps even on Series X and PS5.

Rockstar are wizards with that stuff so maybe they’ll spend the next year optimising and hit 60fps on the more powerful consoles, but we shouldn’t be surprised if it’s a 30 fps game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

webmeister posted:

On a similar note, the DF nerds reviewing the GTA6 trailer were unanimous that with the details and amount of effects they could see in the trailer, it’s probably going to run at 30fps even on Series X and PS5.

Rockstar are wizards with that stuff so maybe they’ll spend the next year optimising and hit 60fps on the more powerful consoles, but we shouldn’t be surprised if it’s a 30 fps game.

I'm not sure why anyone would ever assume or even contemplate it being different since it's been the same for RDR, GTA4, GTA5, and RDR2.

e: don't worry you will be able to get a 60fps version in 2027 on the PS6 and the Xbox Series 360 X

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Power Stone is a Capcom game, and if Capcom makes another fighter this gen I'd personally be hyped as heck for Marvel vs Capcom 4. Also hope SF6 is supported for a long time and they eventually get a lot of the SF3 roster in there, or maybe re-release the Third Strike online port they did for 360 XBLA because that was really good and the SF Collection apparently sucks.

Now that Killer Instinct has had the anniversary update and the devs are back and working on the IP I hope the Xbox showcase next year announces a new season.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SUNKOS posted:

Power Stone is a Capcom game, and if Capcom makes another fighter this gen I'd personally be hyped as heck for Marvel vs Capcom 4. Also hope SF6 is supported for a long time and they eventually get a lot of the SF3 roster in there, or maybe re-release the Third Strike online port they did for 360 XBLA because that was really good and the SF Collection apparently sucks.

Now that Killer Instinct has had the anniversary update and the devs are back and working on the IP I hope the Xbox showcase next year announces a new season.

They should make that HD Street Fighter 2 from the 360 era BC

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

unattended spaghetti posted:

The relatively grounded and dare I say dry feel is what makes it cool though.

I pay a bit of attention to the "FGC", I play tekken 7, sf6 and some other stuff here and there. But I saw some interesting discourse that, aside from tekken, the 3d fighter space is kinda empty so there's room for someone to step up. Soul Calibur looks to be finished, same with DOA which was cancelled for their horny panel presentation and monetization. I prefer 3d games so I would be very hype on a new virtua fighter and I was extremely pissed Playstation got exlclusivity on the ps5 remake they put out the other year.

Also it was pointed out that tekken has been getting more "anime" as time has gone on (more flashy, more hit effects, more systems, more characters not based on martial arts etc.) A gritty updated VF would be cool and welcome

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Seltzer posted:

I pay a bit of attention to the "FGC", I play tekken 7, sf6 and some other stuff here and there. But I saw some interesting discourse that, aside from tekken, the 3d fighter space is kinda empty so there's room for someone to step up. Soul Calibur looks to be finished, same with DOA which was cancelled for their horny panel presentation and monetization. I prefer 3d games so I would be very hype on a new virtua fighter and I was extremely pissed Playstation got exlclusivity on the ps5 remake they put out the other year.

Also it was pointed out that tekken has been getting more "anime" as time has gone on (more flashy, more hit effects, more systems, more characters not based on martial arts etc.) A gritty updated VF would be cool and welcome

Oh do you just mean in the FGC? I hadn't heard anything about no more Soul Calibur, which would suck because SC6 was a lot of fun.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Professor Beetus posted:

This. I have it on my 360 but can’t play it on the series x.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Professor Beetus posted:

I'm wondering if the BC team might have better luck making Jet Set Radio Future BC now that Sega's bringing the IP back.

Seltzer posted:

I thought Soul Calibur sold well enough to meet the requirements that allowed the team to make another SC game in the future? I guess things must have changed but at least SC6 was great. Virtua Fighter 5 is BC on Xbox anyways, along with a lot of other fighting games, can even still grab the older Tekken games like Tag Tournament and the whole DoA franchise is on there. Bummed they never made the classic 2D Guilty Gear games BC though, and while having Strive is great I wish ArcSys had ported over Xrd Rev 2 since I'd rather play on Xbox than Steam but eh v:shobon:v Probably only person in the world who's bummed Street Fighter vs. Tekken is broken on PC and never got made BC too.

Edit: Wait, is the DoA franchise officially dead now?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Seltzer posted:

Yep I'm saying. Fighting games have always been my jam and they're more relevant now than they have been in a long while and VF fills an actually distinct bit of the market that's really never been occupied by anyone else so hearing someone from Sega say they should make it more dramatic annoys the hell out of me. I mean this is assuming they even do it at all which I'm not holding my breath on.

And yeah, shame what's happened to soul calibur. VI was okay, considering how bad V was, but that's not saying much and Tekken is clearly the money maker so even if they throw us a bone, I have no faith it'll be any good. But at least another eh installment is at least a 3D fighter that isn't Tekken.

I do love SF6 though. Most balanced, highest quality fighting game to come out since Strive and it actually has functional match making, ranking systems, and lobbies that aren't rear end.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’ve been debating getting SF6 but the multiplayer aspect doesn’t interest me, which I know is weird for fighting games.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I don't personally think the single player rpg mode would sell it for me but I always go straight to online myself so I'm not the target audience for it. Folks do seem to like it though. It's kinda Yakuza esque as I understand.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

priznat posted:

I’ve been debating getting SF6 but the multiplayer aspect doesn’t interest me, which I know is weird for fighting games.

Don't let me stop you, but yeah, the multiplayer is definitely the main focus of the game. It's really good though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
SF6 ftw

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 16, 2024

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

SUNKOS posted:

Power Stone is a Capcom game, and if Capcom makes another fighter this gen

it's time for Rival Schools to get its glow up

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

Oh do you just mean in the FGC? I hadn't heard anything about no more Soul Calibur, which would suck because SC6 was a lot of fun.

I don't know what your first question means but yeah from what I've read SC is going away for at least quite a long time. I think the guy in charge of it got fired too.

e- Yeah Okubo was released from namco in 2021

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

SUNKOS posted:

I thought Soul Calibur sold well enough to meet the requirements that allowed the team to make another SC game in the future? I guess things must have changed but at least SC6 was great. Virtua Fighter 5 is BC on Xbox anyways, along with a lot of other fighting games, can even still grab the older Tekken games like Tag Tournament and the whole DoA franchise is on there. Bummed they never made the classic 2D Guilty Gear games BC though, and while having Strive is great I wish ArcSys had ported over Xrd Rev 2 since I'd rather play on Xbox than Steam but eh v:shobon:v Probably only person in the world who's bummed Street Fighter vs. Tekken is broken on PC and never got made BC too.

Edit: Wait, is the DoA franchise officially dead now?

VF5 is back compat, I own it but the online doesnt work and or no one plays it, I don't know which is the answer. Im able to get good connection tekken 6 (2007) matches still in under 30 seconds. I'm not certain on either DOA6 or SC being completely toast but I've read as much online. I think DOA support stopped after one year or something and I was reading the fanbase is split between 5 and 6. Soul Calibur did sell decently but I don't know about retention numbers, soul edge put off a lot of people. Either way I don't see either of them having a new release until like 7-8 years from now, the 3d fighter space could definitely use some more entries in the near future.

E- and when about i posted about doa getting cancelled, I mean they got kicked out of Evo and some other tournaments for some horny stuff they did at a presentation, which is a big hit to sales and notoriety. They got heat with the smaller fgc community for their monetization practices but tbh in retrospect theirs was less bad than SF6.

E2- im sure i could find a better site to link to the story but whatever
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/core-values

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 9, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Seltzer posted:

I don't know what your first question means but yeah from what I've read SC is going away for at least quite a long time. I think the guy in charge of it got fired too.

e- Yeah Okubo was released from namco in 2021

When I first read your post I was like "oh no SC is going away," and then I reread it and thought maybe you just meant it had fallen out of favor of the FGC. Now I am back to being bummed about no more Soul Calibur. Wonder what the deal with all that is. Quick googling didn't turn up SC6 doing particularly bad in overall sales, although apparently physical sales specifically were down 55% from SC5.

Nonetheless, I'm a weirdo who only plays solo and appreciates fighting games with robust single player content, so that's pretty disappointing to here.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

They should make mvc4 and not include mega man

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

American McGay posted:

I feel like everyone who praises BG3 never actually got out of Act I.

Ya totally, it's crazy that so many people are spending 100+ hours in act 1, doing multiple playthroughs of just act 1 only...

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I've been playing with a friend on PC and we're up to Act 3.

Hopefully it picks up, as so far it seems way more dialogue heavy than Act 1 & 2 and we're getting burned out a bit. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Sega should do another Phantasy Star Online but not GaaS this time