Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Szmitten posted:

Last year I was able to get a Covid booster by booking online and saying yes to "I live with someone older" and got it no questions asked on-site. I did it again this year, same place, arrived through the door but got turned away because "that isn't enough".

To be fair, I'm not actually elligible according to the rules (but do live with over-65's), but be consistent with the chancing or just stick a needle in a willing body in your otherwise utterly desolate schedule.

I got my booster today with a similar semi-fraudulent method, same as I did last year in fact. I didn't book anything online since the online form tells you that to be a carer you need to be a full time permanent carer or something like that, which I sure ain't. Instead I walked into a suitable pharmacy and told them I'm going to spend some time over the holidays with my mother who is old and also has asthma. As before the story is completely true, I'm just not a permanent carer - but the nice pharmacy person said ok that's fine and gave me the vaccine. Apparently they have some latitude to be a bit more lax about it if they want to or something.

This year though, some pharmacies had limited stock of the stuff apparently so they'd run out by lunchtime, whole thing seemed slightly harder than last year. I also forgot to ask exactly which thing they stabbed me with, I heard there are newer and older boosters, older ones of course won't work nearly as well since the virus has mutated massively within the last six months.

e: dang, a snipe. 31 is the number of years I wish I still was, like I was back in the olden days :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

serious gaylord posted:

Yes it is, which I guess means the article isn't clear enough on what's changing.

I think it means a temp worker can't book holiday they haven't accrued yet. Ie you can't book a weeks holiday in Jan because you'd only accrue 2.4 days that month. You'd have to wait until March to take a week off.

I'm not sure though.

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/2023/11/06/holiday-pay-rights-uk-tuc/

Sounds like:

1) holiday pay to be at basic level, whereas currently it takes expected overtime, commission, bonuses into account
2) holiday pay can now be included in the hourly rate, which is horrible and encourages people not to take holiday, but easy peasy for payroll (watch for overtime being paid at a lower rate than regular hours I guess)
3) (not sure if this is right) there is no longer any legal meaning to bank holidays and they're now just rolled into normal holiday

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

crispix posted:

keir's going to come out swinging his handbag thatcher-style and say those people going toilet on train tracks only did it because they're hooligans who enjoy that kind of thing

seventeen years dungeon

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

To be honest I didn't know the pantographs were like, controllable. I thought they were just kinda... the way they are.

Like how the train doesn't come with a track gauge selector.

Yeah same, I thought that any mechanical system becomes a train if optimised well enough, the same way any biological system becomes a crab if optimised enough, it seems trains still have some way to go.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 8, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Betjeman posted:

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/2023/11/06/holiday-pay-rights-uk-tuc/

Sounds like:

1) holiday pay to be at basic level, whereas currently it takes expected overtime, commission, bonuses into account
2) holiday pay can now be included in the hourly rate, which is horrible and encourages people not to take holiday, but easy peasy for payroll (watch for overtime being paid at a lower rate than regular hours I guess)
3) (not sure if this is right) there is no longer any legal meaning to bank holidays and they're now just rolled into normal holiday

A lot of temp agencies back in the 80s (when I used to temp) did item (2). I worked for Manpower agency who didn't include it in the hourly rate (though they added a % on the hourly rate they charged the client) also I now have bank holidays rolled in to normal holiday (as we are all part time). So if you want bank holiday off you have to book it out of holiday.

As far as I recall, holiday pay could be calculated in one of two ways both of which took in to account total average pay for the 12 weeks before you took holiday so that rolled up o/t etc. I forget what the other method was. One issue though is a lot of p/time workers (cleaners etc type work) do not realize they're entitled to any holiday pay at all and darn sure their employers won't be enlightening them.
Job I had as a pub cleaner when I first came back to the uk (2 hours each morning) I had non-stop praise for my work - how much cleaner it was, the customers noticed, the bar staff said it was great not having a sticky floor to walk on, the black dirty marks all round the kitchen gradually being removed. Then I made the mistake about asking about the holiday pay and came in to an absolute tirade of a note the next day (all communication was by note, the pub owners never spoke to me at all! Weirdos.) Anyway, I quit. I was working more for the 'reason to get out of bed' in a morning and so I might start being able to say hello to someone in the street - lived in this town as a kid but essentially it was new to me as an adult - rather than the money at the time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah same, I thought that any mechanical system becomes a train if optimised well enough, the same way any biological system becomes a crab if optimised enough, it seems trains still have some way to go.

Trains have arguably regressed since they stopped doing slip carriages.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1733164235515928794

quote:

The incident, which is not being treated as terrorism, is believed to have been a 'deliberate act'

:allears:

It was only by chance that nobody was killed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah so it wasn't use of unlawful violence against people or property to achieve political objectives.

There must have been a non-political reason that they blew up the camera, completely unrelated to the months long political culture war around them.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Guavanaut posted:

Ah so it wasn't use of unlawful violence against people or property to achieve political objectives.

There must have been a non-political reason that they blew up the camera, completely unrelated to the months long political culture war around them.

Lads will be lads, nothing to see here.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This guy says it's Sadiq Khan's fault, and that he's put everyone's lives at risk. He does show more of the damage though

https://twitter.com/dannydervito/status/1732477973939233164

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah the Muslim Mayor blew it up with halal electronics. Bet it'll be counted as terrorism now.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Fair play to Shane McGowan. Getting eulogies from Johnny Depp and Big Gerry and then a knees up from The Chieftans is one hell of a funeral.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Same things they put in the woke control consoles on the enterprise.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

How was this not immediate headline news? I know there were lots of other things going on, but this was a literal bomb going off in a busy residential street. How is it not headline news now? I've just found a video of the damage to the window of the child's bedroom:

https://twitter.com/Hazzas1n/status/1732671563076338161

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

quote:

The incident, which is not being treated as terrorism, is believed to have been a 'deliberate act'

The person who did will be white then.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I don't think anyone knows at this point, but the choice of target heavily points to them being a Reform chud type.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Szmitten posted:

Last year I was able to get a Covid booster by booking online and saying yes to "I live with someone older" and got it no questions asked on-site. I did it again this year, same place, arrived through the door but got turned away because "that isn't enough".

To be fair, I'm not actually elligible according to the rules (but do live with over-65's), but be consistent with the chancing or just stick a needle in a willing body in your otherwise utterly desolate schedule.
per NHS guidelines

quote:

Who is eligible for a seasonal COVID-19 vaccine?

You or your child may be offered a seasonal COVID-19 vaccine if you are:
  • aged 65 years old or over (you need to be 65 years old by 31 March 2024)
  • aged 6 months to 64 years old and are at increased risk
  • living in a care home for older adults
  • a frontline health or social care worker
  • aged 16 to 64 years old and are a carer
  • aged 12 to 64 years old and live with someone with a weakened immune system
the magic words this year are: you're a carer and/or you live with someone immunocompromised; it's close enough to the truth and they aren't going to check

(also probably more convincing if you go in masked)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pork Pie Hat posted:

The person who did will be white then.

And not Irish. Important note.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crgpjpr35nko

Godspeed to him on the road, but in the article what really caught my eye (apart from how well British teens were fed in the 1940's apparently) was this quote:

quote:

"When I was younger, I looked at my great grandad's prisoner-of-war diaries and I just love everything about the period."

I wonder what his voting preference is

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Apparently many of the prisoners of war were pretty well fed compared to the people on ration books*. Especially the officer types because code of conduct and what not.

*and, y'know, the people in Burma and Bengal and Auschwitz and so.

forkboy84 posted:

And not Irish. Important note.
Again depends on the target though. Bomb an English pub, even one that only exists in the minds of Met detectives, and anyone with an Irish name who is aware of the existence of vans or fireworks is suspect.

Also short out a bunch of cameras in protest of the surveillance state in the 00s and any lefty anarchist types were suspect.

This is just signalling that bombing ULEZ cameras is different and an acceptable chud target.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crgpjpr35nko

Godspeed to him on the road, but in the article what really caught my eye (apart from how well British teens were fed in the 1940's apparently) was this quote:

quote:

"When I was younger, I looked at my great grandad's prisoner-of-war diaries and I just love everything about the period."

I wonder what his voting preference is

'Everything about the period'...except the food, clothes and fuel rationing, the lack of 'exotic' fruits and out-of-season veg, the National Service, the tuberculosis, the rampant air pollution, the primitive health/dental care, the 33% Purchase Tax on luxury goods, the 50% income tax rate on anyone with an income to afford an Austin Cambridge, not having shops open on a Sunday and the boozers shutting at half ten...etc. etc. I bet.

E: The article seems to mostly focus on his vintage car, and more power to him for that. As someone who owns one car that's 63 years old and one that's 35 years old I absolutely get the fun in having an old car. But I don't dress like Anthony Eden or fill my house with 1988-era merch as a result.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 9, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Guavanaut posted:

Apparently many of the prisoners of war were pretty well fed compared to the people on ration books*. Especially the officer types because code of conduct and what not.
Plus there was the endless fun of playing all sorts of goofs and hijinks on the hapless guards

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Trains have arguably regressed since they stopped doing slip carriages.

I never heard of this I'm watching a youtube video about it and wow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

None of this "stopping the train" just cos some people want off. Detatch the rear carriages and stop your bloody self. Some of us have places to be.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Brendan Rodgers posted:

The thing about slip coaches was that even the ever-inventive Victorians never came up with a way of having the reverse - a coach that could be picked up without the train stopping. So the workings were always 'unbalanced' and tended to favour out-of-London travellers - you could board an express train in London and be dropped at your provincial destination by a slip coach, but on the return journey you usually had to take a slower, local train to the next large station to pick up the London-bound express.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm hearing we should be refitting train stations with giant railguns to fire the carriages back onto passing express trains.

The express trains can have harpoon guns on the back to catch them and reel them in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And yet they never managed to make a cable tram that wasn't a complete jerky unpleasant-to-injurious to ride nightmare.

cat botherer posted:

Plus there was the endless fun of playing all sorts of goofs and hijinks on the hapless guards

I was thinking more of the Rudolph Hess types who essentially got a free extended hotel stay for the war and still acted like a paranoid Nazi pissbaby about the whole thing* but yeah compared to the horrific industrial murder camps and raging famines and racial policies and cities going up in flames having a bit of a boring view of the sea was a pretty sweet deal.

Wait, was this lad's granda Hess?

*historians of the era have suggested that this was likely because Hess was a paranoid Nazi pissbaby

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

BalloonFish posted:

E: The article seems to mostly focus on his vintage car, and more power to him for that. As someone who owns one car that's 63 years old and one that's 35 years old I absolutely get the fun in having an old car. But I don't dress like Anthony Eden or fill my house with 1988-era merch as a result.

Never too late to start fellow old car owner (33 year old car).

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I watched an interview with that weird 1940s kid and he seems like a harmless goof, and very much on the spectrum.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

OwlFancier posted:

I'm hearing we should be refitting train stations with giant railguns to fire the carriages back onto passing express trains.

The express trains can have harpoon guns on the back to catch them and reel them in.

Just fire them right into London....

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Tie me to a rail carriage and fire me at London. I am ready.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

My health has taken a bit of a tumble this week, which isn't surprising given all the family drama bollocks, so I decided last night to go back on the local meals on wheels scheme. It's been around two years since I last used it and I expected the price to have gone up considerably due to the cost of living increases, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out it's still £8.50 a day for a hot meal and pudding delivered to my door :toot:

I do have to point out that I've yet to observe the portion sizes

Anyway, have a lol

e: ... which turned out to be fake according to Darren. He's not happy. lol

e2: This lol is real https://twitter.com/GBNewsSpin/status/1733180426204672106

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 9, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Compared to that settled status/ILR lets you stay in the UK unless you commit a serious felony

How's that defined out of curiosity? (We haven't had the felony/misdemeanour distinction in this country as such since the 1960s, this isn't America)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

feedmegin posted:

How's that defined out of curiosity? (We haven't had the felony/misdemeanour distinction in this country as such since the 1960s, this isn't America)

I guess they mean a crime that's sentenced at crown court level as opposed to magistrates?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

feedmegin posted:

You have to be sentenced to a year or more in prison for an offence designated as a “serious crime” under the relevant legislation. Which is effectively anything related to violence, sexual offences, terrorism, or (of course) drugs or immigration

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Gotta love that Macron - the platonic ideal of a politician as far as most UK political journalists are concerned - is also being shown up to be a blithering idiot who makes poo poo up on the fly and flip-flops whenever he's caught out.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

I'm having trouble finding it now since it's relatively rare, but it's what Soricidus said, with the length in prison required depending on what ties you have to the UK- it goes up to some quite significant number of years if you have a lot of ties to the UK, I think 7 or something like that.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Private Speech posted:

I'm having trouble finding it now since it's relatively rare, but it's what Soricidus said, with the length in prison required depending on what ties you have to the UK- it goes up to some quite significant number of years if you have a lot of ties to the UK, I think 7 or something like that.

I’m guessing “ties to the uk” are measured with a colour swatch?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
A quick check of financials, too, I'd imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Soricidus posted:

I’m guessing “ties to the uk” are measured with a colour swatch?

That's a typo. It should read 'tithes to the uk'