Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
you can swap back actually

for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

merely anecdotal.

I really should start taking pictures and keeping a time record of what I see in the grocery stores., ala the shrinkflation posts.

I spreadsheet all my spending + receipts and could chart my grocery bill over the last 20ish months. But the volume is really regular / charted so it would be hard to really gauge. It's definitely higher tho, by a significant percentage. Glad that I'm getting a pay cut soon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The new discord layout is better. Mald.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/2023-in-review/what-to-call-our-chaotic-era

This is a chaotic era.

Also lmao at Assholocene. I love that. I'm going to use that in addition to my "Omnicrisis"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

skooma512 posted:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/2023-in-review/what-to-call-our-chaotic-era

This is a chaotic era.

Also lmao at Assholocene. I love that. I'm going to use that in addition to my "Omnicrisis"

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

sleep with the vicious posted:

Spoke to a coworker this morning who reminded me about how the lockdowns are destroying the economy

the what now

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

In Training posted:

The new discord layout is better. Mald.

you're a problem

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

That place looks really difficult to defend.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

The big government LOCKDOWNS that are killing the economy! All the red tape and regulations on small businesses. Don't forget small business taxes.

It's an alternate reality that is still more realistic than the dems "the economy is good actually"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

:hmmyes:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol

Orv posted:

I will simply consume my two decades of unnecessarily large PC game boxes that I have kept for reasons that are entirely beyond me or any rational ken

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Blockade posted:

https://twitter.com/BlockClubCHI/status/1732059885284594150

In chicago, libs in one of the richest/whitest neighborhoods (since 2005) are mad about chains moving in, for the reason that : they'll compete with existing local businesses

Starbucks, sweetgreens, and Jeni's are all ok though

it's bc there's a competitor already there:

quote:

Foxtrot, the Chicago-based upscale convenience store, has been working to open in the former Reza’s restaurant space at 5259 N. Clark St. Neighboring businesses, including Ándale Market, a locally owned curated corner store with a similar premise, have pushed back fiercely against the plans.

Besides the increasing presence of chains in Andersonville, Foxtrot’s move to open on Clark Street is personally concerning for Ándale Market owner Mia Sakai, she said. Foxtrot staff have shopped Sakai’s store, then stocked the same products and contracted with the same vendors for its locations, undermining her business, she said.

I hope I never again have to read the phrase "curated corner store," especially when it looks like this:

is it really a corner store if it doesn't sell janky ecigs & car incense?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

people are so loving funy lmfao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
posting the freaking stocks graphs and talking about the fed epic numbers down 0.321 quartile adjusted square law or whatever when infact if u talk to any regular person they say theyre freaking broke and everyone who sells poo poo to people says nobody buying poo poo.

last summer i couldnt GIVE away theatre tickets. guy who owns the burrito shop i know is working the register himself lmfao. he used to have 3 locations.

the latinos at school are so busted they bringing sack lunches

HELLO

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

19 o'clock posted:

I just showed a bunch of homeless people my spreadsheets explaining how good the economy actually is and they all started high fiving me for being so smart.

lol yes

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I think the problem is that for a long time you could say general quality of life hasn’t peaked yet, but then you hit the last few years and it is pretty obvious there was likely a peak somewhere between 199x and 2007 (pre-great recession) for the majority of (American) citizens.

I remember several years ago I asked my parents how they felt living through the late 70s and early 80s (Stagflation, Vietnam hangover, high interest rates, Cold War, etc.) and they were just like “well it sucked but we just believed that things were going to get better”

And I think that’s the problem now, there just isn’t a clear path forward that makes people feel better. The imbalances have gotten too large and too many people are mask off about how little they care about fixing things and who they serve.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Blockade posted:

its 7-11 for people scared of 7-11

honestly dude the 7-11 near me is too cursed to goto anymore. the beer cases are lokced even in day time and u have to summon the guy to open it. cept the guy has 3 crazy ppl yelling at him constantly. and also the store is literally trashed. they installed one of this big panopticon things outside with the flashing blue light which is supposed to be a homeless ppl / crackhead ward or something. sucks rear end. also there is like a lot of bad odor inside and outside it. and the crackhead density has gone up so much the store is very "exciting" to be inside. it is like this all the time now instead of just summer weekends. summer weekends especially when its really hot i udnerstand - makes everyone go a litle ratchet. but now its all the time.

last night i went to the dang ralphs to buy a 12 of pbr

the ralphs has an armed guard lol. with like bodyarmor. it used to be this HUGE menacing looking slav guy but he shot and killed a lady a while ago. it was on the news.

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/security-guard-shoots-kills-woman-at-hollywood-ralphs/

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Crazyweasel posted:

I think the problem is that for a long time you could say general quality of life hasn’t peaked yet, but then you hit the last few years and it is pretty obvious there was likely a peak somewhere between 199x and 2007 (pre-great recession) for the majority of (American) citizens.

I remember several years ago I asked my parents how they felt living through the late 70s and early 80s (Stagflation, Vietnam hangover, high interest rates, Cold War, etc.) and they were just like “well it sucked but we just believed that things were going to get better”

And I think that’s the problem now, there just isn’t a clear path forward that makes people feel better. The imbalances have gotten too large and too many people are mask off about how little they care about fixing things and who they serve.

sounds like you havent been pimping AI hard enough

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

honestly dude the 7-11 near me is too cursed to goto anymore. the beer cases are lokced even in day time and u have to summon the guy to open it. cept the guy has 3 crazy ppl yelling at him constantly. and also the store is literally trashed. they installed one of this big panopticon things outside with the flashing blue light which is supposed to be a homeless ppl / crackhead ward or something. sucks rear end. also there is like a lot of bad odor inside and outside it. and the crackhead density has gone up so much the store is very "exciting" to be inside. it is like this all the time now instead of just summer weekends. summer weekends especially when its really hot i udnerstand - makes everyone go a litle ratchet. but now its all the time.

declining material conditions ftw. but economy is good

fentyheads are much better than crackheads tho, thanks president xi for saving america

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Smythe posted:

What's wrong with sack lunches

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Smythe posted:

posting the freaking stocks graphs and talking about the fed epic numbers down 0.321 quartile adjusted square law or whatever when infact if u talk to any regular person they say theyre freaking broke and everyone who sells poo poo to people says nobody buying poo poo.

last summer i couldnt GIVE away theatre tickets. guy who owns the burrito shop i know is working the register himself lmfao. he used to have 3 locations.

HELLO

It's also showing up in nearly every piece of economic polling. It's fun to poke fun at this thread, but it's really not gloomy cspammers leading the doom charge here and you're way out of step with the general American public if you actually think things are going well.

My personal barometer is that the small business tyrants I know aren't complaining about the Democrats or Joe Biden, they're just complaining about things being poo poo for them and having generalized economic anxiety. I usually take that as my indication that poo poo sucks and it's not just performative whining about taxes or whatever Fox News boogeyman they're blaming this week for not being able to buy a new boat.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

lol realized my hypothesis is literally the same as that New Yorker article

I mean basically you’d have to disconnect from the internet and try to maintain your own ignorant bubble to be truly happy these days. Good luck

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Smythe posted:

the ralphs has an armed guard lol. with like bodyarmor. it used to be this HUGE menacing looking slav guy but he shot and killed a lady a while ago. it was on the news.

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/security-guard-shoots-kills-woman-at-hollywood-ralphs/

don't you have any of those cool rear end corner stores that carry all sorts of wine in addition to the necessities near you?

when I lived in l.a. there were 3 of them within a 2-block walk & they all ruled.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Like the typical American conception of the economy is pretty much "do I have a job?" and "is my guy in the white house?"

The fact that a substantial portion of employed people who identify with the currently in-power party are still gloomy about the economy is not normal.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

It's been really funny seeing PhD academics and all sorts of elite Number Understander types starting their own little tinfoil hat unskew the polls bullshit with normal-rear end opinion polls because the numbers in the polls are Extremely Bad, which must be Wrong

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
two years of inflation will do that for you

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Smythe posted:

Lol

It's unclear what led the woman to strike the security guard with the fire extinguisher. He was neither arrested nor detained by officers.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

LAPD officers were witnessed high-fiving the security guard and doing Fortnite dances over the deceased woman's body.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

don't you have any of those cool rear end corner stores that carry all sorts of wine in addition to the necessities near you?

when I lived in l.a. there were 3 of them within a 2-block walk & they all ruled.

there is a very good liquor store near me with clerk-style educated misanthrope ... clerks ... that are friends and come to our parties and very good beers and such but they close early. it used to be a standard korean liquor store with the bullet 3" bulletproof glass and the idk what its called the "hood transfer chamber" with the 2 doors on either side to transact. gone now. gentrification fior ya...

Vox Nihili posted:

What's wrong with sack lunches

they would rather eat cafeteria i think. least i would. its good. epic tendies and such.

Vox Nihili posted:

LAPD officers were witnessed high-fiving the security guard and doing Fortnite dances over the deceased woman's body.

lmao

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the two speed economy means that it's quite possible to have spent the past 15 years since the GFC only seeing big salary bumps, cheap mortgages, and investment portfolios only going up... and also be surrounded by friends and coworkers in the same boat

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Discord has so many loving updates given the features never change

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1733282777531859148?t=wLS40A8pk96V8UQi3JOGXA&s=19

😃

😶

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

Lol

It's unclear what led the woman to strike the security guard with the fire extinguisher. He was neither arrested nor detained by officers.

Extinguisher? Hell yeah just lemme draw my gun :blastu:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

shrike82 posted:

the two speed economy means that it's quite possible to have spent the past 15 years since the GFC only seeing big salary bumps, cheap mortgages, and investment portfolios only going up... and also be surrounded by friends and coworkers in the same boat

agree. People I know are in the top part of the K-shape recovery. however, if you live in the city it's very challenging to completely ignore the decline. but it does produce some pretty "interesting" responses to inquiry on the economy from them tho. lots of strange contortions.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

ive avoided this scenario by never being in the same place as someone i had infuriated enough that they might try to maul me with a fire extinguisher

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Xaris posted:

consuming ftw and feels good. vibes are good because consuming feels good.

long live the premium consumers

hell yeah I just had duck confit with sweet potato mash with whisky spice sauce and asparagus lemon arugula infused in smoke dome

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

my favorite lib trope about the economy is that the lowest-waged workers have gotten the biggest boosts in pay.

why aren't they happy they're making $11/hour now instead of $10/hour? and why are they saying the economy is in the shitter if they've gotten 10 percent raises? :iiam:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
christ alive

the hackiest sci-fi author alive would consider 'an online venture capital dentistry company that fucks up peoples' teeth through unethical practice then discontinues services while still demanding payment in full from their maimed customers through their SmileyPayPlan' to be too gauche and unsubtle for their cyberpunk dystopia novel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Smythe posted:

they would rather eat cafeteria i think. least i would. its good. epic tendies and such.

Bullshit, this fall it was all about Panda Express