Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Jigsaw posted:

she (CDC director) blinded me with The Science™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

Anyone know if test2treat.org is having registration problems rn? My dad can't register an account because the verification code isn't reaching his email. When I try to log in though, I get my code right away

i don't know -- but if you want stuff ASAP, https://www.hidrb.com still works. i can post my script if you want or DM it to you

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I definitely have a recurring and distracting floater for the first time in my -10.25-diopter-since-I-was-8 life. fired up last December after my Covid infection

then again,

fosborb posted:

but I also turned 40 so :shrug:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

fosborb posted:

hmm, wonder if that triggered my presbyopia. that poo poo hit like a ton of bricks right after I had covid

but I also turned 40 so :shrug:

................... an irrational fear of Presbyterians? :thunk:

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Tzen posted:

said video, it's that time of year again
https://twitter.com/CDCDirector/status/1732547659292967203"hi everyone it's that time of year again, when we're seeing a lot of respiratory illness like flu, rsv, covid, and pneumonia. in the united states rsv is elevated, flu is continuing to increase in most of the country, and covid is starting to increase again, after being stable for the past few weeks. we're also seeing increases in pneumonia cases, which can increase this time of year. we're seeing more respiratory illnesses and pneumonias in the united states and around the world. but right now we're not seeing anything new or unfamiliar in terms of virus or sickness. to protect yourself and your family this holiday season, take the steps that we every year to protect ourselves. get your updated covid and flu vaccines and your rsv vaccine if you're over 60. it's not too late to get vaccinated if you haven't already. and use additional layers of protection like avoiding people who are sick, washing your hands, improving ventilation, and wearing a mask. and if you do get sick, i know its hard, but stay home so you don't spready germs to others . and get tested, so you know what you have, and you can get treatment. getting tested and treated early can prevent you form getting severally ill, being hospitalized, and can potentially save your life."
:theroni:

"right now we're not seeing anything new or unfamiliar in terms of virus or sickness"

Loving my new normal.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I definitely have a recurring and distracting floater for the first time in my -10.25-diopter-since-I-was-8 life. fired up last December after my Covid infection

then again,

I've had floaters since forever but I definitely notice them more when sleep deprived. It's like your brain gets too tired to edit them out, like the flip-side of when the brain is too tired to keep you from having bits of a dream slip into wakefulness which comes across as hallucinations. It can happen with auditory stuff too. Considering how much COVID fucks with sleep maybe it's your brain forgetting to filter them out so you're just noticing them more than usual?

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

WrasslorMonkey posted:

"right now we're not seeing anything new or unfamiliar in terms of virus or sickness"

Loving my new normal.

Ugh, why do I always get cult vibes from her face

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Our college intern, an extremely healthy 21 year old, has been sick as a dog all week and remains more or less bedridden after 5 days and he won't even consider the idea that maybe he has COVID. At least he's working from home I guess.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Loving my new normal.

Not a lie. We're just repeating what happened last winter but with the extra push of having totally removed even the tiniest bit of social pressure to stay home or mask while actively showing symptoms. There's nothing new or unfamiliar about COVID in December 2023.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Our college intern, an extremely healthy 21 year old, has been sick as a dog all week and remains more or less bedridden after 5 days and he won't even consider the idea that maybe he has COVID. At least he's working from home I guess.

It's just Mono

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Zantie posted:

I've had floaters since forever but I definitely notice them more when sleep deprived. It's like your brain gets too tired to edit them out, like the flip-side of when the brain is too tired to keep you from having bits of a dream slip into wakefulness which comes across as hallucinations. It can happen with auditory stuff too. Considering how much COVID fucks with sleep maybe it's your brain forgetting to filter them out so you're just noticing them more than usual?

I deffo notice more when I've had a bad nights sleep. usually on account of alcohol, but my standard night's sleep has been bad since I was 8 too :(

maybe the lil push just completely hosed up all my compensatory strategies.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/BNOFeed/status/1733204370907332794

[Pestilence] Epidemic Status Growing

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zantie posted:

(..)
[Pestilence] Epidemic Status Growing

That's obviously a mistake. It should be all dark purple and they misspelled endemic.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

quote:

“Try to keep them away from other dogs, keep them away from dog parks, boarding facilities and other dogs that you think could get them sick,”
Make sure to get them to a vet where all the other sick dogs are, though. What a familiar sounding awesome strategy!

U-DO Burger posted:

In September it took like 4-6 days of symptoms for our iHealth rapid tests to pop positive.
We have the tools that don't work but maybe they will later if you take 500 tests so here's 4 tests for the year.
(Hoping the rest of you will dodge it and that the gotten will recover quickly.)

I hate the world.
Test 2 Treat: ❌
Press 2 Delete: ✅

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
If you want to be righteously pissed off, the entire piece is worth a read:
"CDC rift with Cal/OSHA over when to use N95 masks could put California health workers at risk again"

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/n95-mask-cdc-covid-18540474.php posted:

Three years after more than 3,600 health workers died of COVID-19, occupational safety experts warn that those on the front lines may once again be at risk if the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention takes its committee’s advice on infection control guidelines in health care settings, including hospitals, nursing homes and jails. In early November the committee released a controversial set of recommendations that the CDC is considering, which would update those established some 16 years ago.

The pandemic illustrated how a rift between the CDC and workplace safety officials can have serious repercussions. Most recently, the giant hospital system Sutter Health in California appealed a citation from the state’s Division of Occupational Safety and Health, known as Cal/OSHA, by pointing to the CDC’s shifting advice on when and whether N95 masks were needed at the start of the pandemic. By contrast, Cal/OSHA requires employers in high-risk settings like hospitals to improve ventilation, use air filtration and provide N95s to all staff exposed to diseases that are — or may be — airborne.
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Indoor Dying posted:

(..)
4 tests for the year.
(..)

You can get 8 tests. 5 Pinocchio's.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Pingui posted:

That's obviously a mistake. It should be all dark purple and they misspelled endemic.

:dance:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:canada:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/health-headlines/1-in-9-canadian-adults-have-had-long-term-symptoms-from-covid-infection-statcan-1.6679078 posted:

1 in 9 Canadian adults have had long-term symptoms from COVID infection: StatCan

OTTAWA - About one in nine Canadian adults have had long-term symptoms from COVID-19 infection, according to a Statistics Canada report issued Friday.
That amounts to 3.5 million Canadians, it said.

Almost 80 per cent of those people with long-term symptoms have them for six months or more, the report said, including 42 per cent who had them for a year or more.

That's "significant" not only for affected patients but also for the country, said Manali Mukherjee, an assistant professor of medicine at McMaster University who specializes in respiratory diseases and immunology, in an interview on Friday.

"(These patients) have compromised daily productivity. So it's affecting their quality of life and therefore has a direct effect on the socioeconomic situation in Canada," said Mukherjee, who is a long COVID researcher and also spent about 18 months recovering from her own symptoms.

Long COVID, also known as post COVID-19 condition, is defined by the World Health Organization as symptoms that persist for three months or longer after infection and that can't be explained by anything else.

More than half of those who ever had long-term symptoms still had them as of June 2023, according to the StatCan report.

"Among Canadians who reported ever experiencing long-term symptoms, those who continue to experience these symptoms (58.2 per cent) outnumber those who have reported them resolved (41.8 per cent)," the report said.
(..)
Two-thirds of Canadian adults who have tried to get health-care services for their long-term symptoms say they haven't received enough treatment or support, the StatCan report said.
(..)

That's 2 million adult Canadians currently experiencing long COVID symptoms.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Soap Scum posted:

i don't know -- but if you want stuff ASAP, https://www.hidrb.com still works. i can post my script if you want or DM it to you

My dad's opting to wait until tomorrow morning when he'll get a telehealth appt through his health insurance, but thanks for the offer!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
One of my coworkers, who had been mysteriously gone for three months with a ‘medical issue’ mentioned that it was directly from covid earlier in the week. Guy in his early 20s.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Anne Whateley posted:

I feel like I’m seeing a ton of hair loss stuff for women. Some of it is probably the algorithm being rude to me personally, but telogen effluvium after covid is absolutely real and widespread
Talked to my dermatologist today. She brought up she’s seeing an absolute shitload of her patients coming in with TE or alopecia after covid. And she herself had covid in 2021 and lost so much of her long gorgeous hair that she had to cut it all the way off and it’s only now recovering.

She’s not masking, though. I love her, please be safe :smith:

Anne Whateley has issued a correction as of 23:28 on Dec 8, 2023

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Animal-Mother posted:

................... an irrational fear of Presbyterians? :thunk:

I assure you there is nothing irrational about my fear of Presbyterians.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Don't speak Austrian but this looks bad

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

the paxlovid assistance program from pfizer has a benefit limit of $1250 per year and one 5 day course costs about $1700... people are just gonna keep getting covid 2 or 3 times a year without any effective therapeutics instead of paying thousands of dollars or wearing a mask

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Got my government issued COVID tests - all Intelliswabs lol

We have the tools (they are designed to not work)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Spoondick posted:

the paxlovid assistance program from pfizer has a benefit limit of $1250 per year and one 5 day course costs about $1700... people are just gonna keep getting covid 2 or 3 times a year without any effective therapeutics instead of paying thousands of dollars or wearing a mask

so the norm, then

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Pingui posted:

:canada:

That's 2 million adult Canadians currently experiencing long COVID symptoms.

If you took all those people and compared them to the population of metro areas in Canada, you'd get 3rd or 4th place. :sigh:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
* my girlfriend's grandma is in a nursing home
* her roommate got covid from a visiting guest
* no precautions, no masking, open door to hallway, nursing home staff not masking going in and out of rooms
* didn't even tell my girlfriend's mom until she (the mom) got there that day to bring food to grandma
* now grandma has covid
* they don't dispense remdesivir or pax at the nursing home
* lol nothing matters

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Petey posted:

* my girlfriend's grandma is in a nursing home
* her roommate got covid from a visiting guest
* no precautions, no masking, open door to hallway, nursing home staff not masking going in and out of rooms
* didn't even tell my girlfriend's mom until she (the mom) got there that day to bring food to grandma
* now grandma has covid
* they don't dispense remdesivir or pax at the nursing home
* lol nothing matters

Sorry, the nursing homes have completely embraced vax-and-relax for a while now. And don't really even push the vax anymore. You'd think they would be interested in keeping their customers alive. But drat, they aren't hurting for people to fill any beds yet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Insanite posted:

lack of respect for experts has chased the thousands of neuro-ophthalmologists who used to roam these forums away

You could ask in D&D, where I have total confidence that the rules‐based order has kept them engaged.

Insanite posted:

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpubh.2023.1232531/full

A time-course prediction model of global COVID-19 mortality

quote:

Figure 5. Mortality projections for 28 countries using the Elastic Net regression model. Twenty-eight countries were included in the study in descending order of total population. The projections are for the last 60 days of 2020 representing the training set and the first 60 days of 2021 representing the test set. The dark blue region shows the projections between the 25% and 75% quantiles and the light blue area shows the projected values between the 97.5% and 2.5% quantiles after 100 bootstrapped projections. The red line represents the observed COVID19 mortality as reported by each country.

quote:

Figure 3. The plot above shows the scores for countries projected into the first two principal components (PC). The components were rotated so that the first PC on the x-axis corresponds to variance that explains COVID-19 mortality whereas the second PC is all other variance in the model. Countries that appear near to each other in two-dimensional space have higher similarity of variables that have explanatory effect on total mortality for 2020 than countries that appear further apart. Countries with a higher x-value are predicted in this model to have higher COVID mortality if dynamic factors were not considered.

lmao

quote:

During the expansion of the pandemic in 2020, daily data relating to a country’s climate measures (maximum daily temperature, precipitation, etc.) and non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPI) were collected from the United States NOAA (19) and Oxford University’s COVID-19 Government Response Tracker (18), respectively. To create the matrix of dynamic variables, the data of a country’s maximum daily temperature and precipitation were retrieved for the timeframe of 01 Jan 2020 through 31 Dec 2020 from the NOAA (19).

Is this really done with one value per country? Like, the U.S. in July gets figures from Furnace Creek and something like the summit of Denali, or at best an area‐weighted average?

That’s too stupid. There must be more to it.

quote:

Weather information including temperatures, dew point, and days with precipitation was averaged for every weather station reported within the area of a country. To acquire an average of weather patterns, data was used from the years 2010–2020 and averaged for all years before analysis.

Yikes.

I don’t know if that’s actually worse than an area‐weighted average because there’s some correlation between population density and weather station density, but they are both breathtakingly bad.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 04:52 on Dec 9, 2023

nulldev1ce
Aug 16, 2002
Shiny Globule

Platystemon posted:

That’s too stupid. There must be more to it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got a photo taken with Santa because he wasn't busy and I thought my mother would enjoy it. They really tried to get me to take off my mask, which was clearly a test since Santa knows a good girl maintains mask discipline.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Household is all topped up with Pax, vaxx, and Binax. Thanks thread.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
Well I stupidly thought that the Test2Treat Lucira flu/covid tests would be available to people who have already gotten covid tests from them once, but apparently they are not. Lol
You had enough tool sorry

quote:

Yes, that is correct. The Lucira home test is only for new participants to the Test2Treat program.

If you have any further questions or need assistance, please feel free to contact our customer support team. Our Customer Advocates are available 24/7. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Lia
Customer Advocate
eMed

Indoor Dying has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Dec 9, 2023

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

A study came out with results that the participants wearing glasses had 15% lower odds of COVID infection, in case anybody wanted to calibrate their personal protection measures.

If you're not already a four eyes by nature, you can always get plain noncorrective lenses without any prescription.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Tuberculosis cases on the rice in Colorado, but it isn't clear why

quote:

Cases of the respiratory disease tuberculosis are increasing in Colorado.

Tuberculosis is a potentially serious infectious bacterial disease that mainly affects the lungs.

After a decade-long drop in cases, Colorado has seen a nearly 60 percent increase in cases this year from last: There were 57 reported cases last year compared with 84 cases this year.

“The numbers of cases are low overall, but we do know that TB is a priority. It's a challenging disease to treat,” said Dr. Rachel Herlihy, the state epidemiologist. “So we are certainly seeing an increase over the last couple of years.”

Eight cases this year were found in patients younger than 18 years old. Two people in total have died.

”It just highlights that just when people do develop active tuberculosis, how serious it can be that there were two deaths reported for 84 cases,” said Dr. Larissa Pisney, an associate professor at CU Anschutz.

What’s driving the trend? It’s not clear.

“One theory is just around the pandemic itself and people not seeking health care and providers potentially being distracted by COVID from thinking of other diagnoses,” Pisney said. “This isn't unique to Colorado and this is being seen in many parts of the country, and again, it'll probably be a year or two before we really know the drivers for it.”

“We don't know if this is just sort of a blip for a single year or if we could potentially see increases for a longer period of time,” Herlihy said.

Before the pandemic, the state’s five-year average number of cases per year was about 70, Herlihy said. During the pandemic years, that figure was typically 50 to 60 cases.

Providers can screen for TB and treat it before it becomes a serious case.

TB is spread via airborne particles. Those at highest risk are people who have lived or have had extended travel to countries that are at higher risk for TB as well as those who live in communal settings.

Tuberculosis is caused by a bacterium called Mycobacterium tuberculosis, according to the CDC. The illness usually attacks the lungs, but it can also infect other parts of the body like the kidney, spine, and brain.

Not everyone infected with it gets sick. If not treated properly, however, TB disease can be fatal.

:thunk: That gamblin' lady in Washington sure got around

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

DominoKitten posted:

A study came out with results that the participants wearing glasses had 15% lower odds of COVID infection, in case anybody wanted to calibrate their personal protection measures.

If you're not already a four eyes by nature, you can always get plain noncorrective lenses without any prescription.

Scary poo poo. I think we did t have any evidence for transmission via eyeball and now we do.

A half-mask P100 alone hasn't been sufficient all along.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zantie posted:

Tuberculosis cases on the rice in Colorado, but it isn't clear why

quote:

What’s driving the trend? It’s not clear.

“One theory is just around the pandemic itself and people not seeking health care and providers potentially being distracted by COVID from thinking of other diagnoses,” Pisney said. “This isn't unique to Colorado and this is being seen in many parts of the country, and again, it'll probably be a year or two before we really know the drivers for it.”

CDC has released a profile of the drivers

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Woodsy Owl posted:

Scary poo poo. I think we did t have any evidence for transmission via eyeball and now we do.

A half-mask P100 alone hasn't been sufficient all along.

we actually had evidence of ocular transmission AND human -> feline -> human transmission in the same case study!
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2324348/local-team-says-covid-kitten-spread-virus-to-human
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/28/7/21-2605_article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Shiroc posted:

I got a photo taken with Santa because he wasn't busy and I thought my mother would enjoy it. They really tried to get me to take off my mask, which was clearly a test since Santa knows a good girl maintains mask discipline.
you got me googling 'santa covid', time: 'past month' and,

lmao