Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i stopped playing after 2 sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Colonel posted:

i stopped playing after 2 sorry

Soulstorm is an enduring masterpiece compared to Dawn of War 3, which should tell you a lot about Dawn of War 3.

It's honestly one of the most impressively comprehensive franchise demolitions I've ever played.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I freely admit I enjoyed Octopath 2 a fair bit but I was genuinely surprised at how much better the reception was. I liked it because I liked the characters more than the Octopath 1 characters and found the overall general layout more interesting, but it wasn't a night-and-day thing for me like it was for other people. I didn't hate Octopath 1 though so maybe that is why.

Not having a 30-level gap before the ending is in fact rather night and day?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I can't get a bead on Age of Decadence... all of the reviews seem to either say it's awesome or god-loving-awful, with very little in between. Is it worth grabbing next time it goes on sale, or should I just start with Colony Ship?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

I can't get a bead on Age of Decadence... all of the reviews seem to either say it's awesome or god-loving-awful, with very little in between. Is it worth grabbing next time it goes on sale, or should I just start with Colony Ship?

There's a demo available which is good because it's the kind of game where you will either love it or loathe it. The devs even strongly recommend trying out the demo before buying because it's not for everyone.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

It's for a niche audience and knows it, try the demo and find out if you are in it too

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Omi no Kami posted:

The best way I can paint a picture of what it's like to play Age of Decadence is that a common piece of gameplay advice is to leave as many skill points unspent as possible in case the path you're on throws a surprise skill check at you for a skill that you haven't trained up yet. There are a bunch of different ways to get through the game and in between all of them are even more ways to fail to get through the game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Like an hour into Rogue Trader and I'm already enjoying it more than BG3.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah. Combat feels way less creative but I prefer that it feels a bit more weighty and that I actually get to make way more interesting decisions with my builds, and more often too.

Characters feel stronger too. They feel less uh... "marvel", I guess lol, but also the party in BG3 all sorta interacts with you in the same mode while the party here feels like they have more diverse approaches.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
how buggy is it?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I only had one weird build thing but other than that none personally. I had way more in bg3 by now. I think its been a bit buggier for other players tho.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Picked up Octopath 2 on sale and I am liking it more than 1. The writing is better for sure and they seem to have really cleaned up the mechanics a fair bit which is nice. Spend way too much time running around town stealing/mugging and scrutinizing/inquisiting though, at like 26 hours of playtime and all I've done is gather the 8 nerdos.

Ochette rules.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

A Sometimes Food posted:

Zenos in English at least also has one of the absolute best voice actor performances I've heard in anything.

Luke Allen-Gale just loving nails every aspect of the character.
He is so goddamn creepy.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You do gotta hand him a smooch.
no.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

(sighs) fine, I'll smooch him in your place

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

I'm like 8 hours in and I've encountered two bugs, both of which just soft-locked the game but still let me reload to the last autosave so it wasn't too big of a deal.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

A Sometimes Food posted:

Zenos in English at least also has one of the absolute best voice actor performances I've heard in anything.

Luke Allen-Gale just loving nails every aspect of the character.

"What is this abominable Enshroud?"

i haven't beaten ARR =[

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
For what it's worth, I would estimate that approximately half of my playtime in Rogue Trader is spent in menus leveling everyone up.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Thank you Owlcat for not only having the stones to stick with a turn based combat system for Rogue Trader, but to make it grid based too. Baldur's Gate 3 was fantastic, but I'm glad that I'm now playing something where the combat is no-nonsense, snappy, and intuitive.

An RPG with the great writing of BG3 and straight up X-COM battles for combat would be the automatic GOAT.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

emSparkly posted:

An RPG with the great writing of BG3 and straight up X-COM battles for combat would be the automatic GOAT.

:kheldragar:

Troubleshooter Abandoned Children

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

roomtwofifteen posted:

I had no idea this existed and it looks rad and I wanna play it. Anyone know how it runs on Switch? Feels like a perfect mobile thing, but if it runs poorly it'll be a Steam purchase. I'm still feeling burned from how badly Bloodstained ran on Switch

I'm starting to become a shill for Humble, because it is the second time I'm talking about it. But yeah, Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is part of their current JRPG bundle, alongside Steam keys for Bug Fables, Symphony of giant ladies War and games that apparently could have been better like Mato Anomalies and Edge of Eternity. Probably a better proposition if you want to get it on Steam than just buying one game for a similar price.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Dec 9, 2023

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zereth posted:

He is so goddamn creepy.

Yeah it rocks. The psychopathy and raspy public school accent really works for him lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I decided to pick up CrossCode since it dropped to 8$. Can't wait to get to the part where it becomes fractally layered on how many puzzles you have to do but I only just got started and past the tutorial. I only have the words Hi and Lea so far, I'm very early into it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Wait, Rogue Trader is already out? Was expecting it a lot later given Owlcat hasn't finished with the WotR DLC yet.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZlgx_Nb8xM

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RareAcumen posted:

I decided to pick up CrossCode since it dropped to 8$. Can't wait to get to the part where it becomes fractally layered on how many puzzles you have to do but I only just got started and past the tutorial. I only have the words Hi and Lea so far, I'm very early into it.

That's literally 30 seconds outside the tutorial

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I started Chained Echoes but I'm not really sure if it's a game I'm playing because I'm enjoying it or because it's leaving Gamepass soon....

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Wait, Rogue Trader is already out? Was expecting it a lot later given Owlcat hasn't finished with the WotR DLC yet.

Yep! Its really good so far. Enjoying it more than BG3 though I doubt this will be a minority opinion. But it does stuff like having labor strike quest where you can go down and listen to the demands of the rabble of your ship... its cool.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Chained Echoes is weird. The story flip flops between boring but working to shockingly interesting world building and character moments to pure annoyance and the gameplay works the same way.

The 7 True Kings of Nature bit is still pretty cool though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I overall really enjoyed Chained Echoes. It doesn't always hit the mark (it really didn't need mechs) but I think the overall story is interesting and I do like how it plays with the cliche in a way that allows it to pull the rug out in a way that makes the story more interesting.

I certainly think it's better than Sea of Stars.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I think? I recommend it?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Endorph posted:

watch out if you expect characters who exist in the same story to talk to each other some guy is gonna come in and cry

Wow you're cool

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
my biggest beef with Chained Echoes beyond the mechs (i think it would have been cool if they appeared like, 3-4 times over the whole game and definitely didn't become a thing you just had full access to eventually) is that the game takes too long for you to get weird little guys in your party. but it does eventually give you weird little guys, so it's a muted criticism.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Since Chained Echoes is the flavor of the day, might as well shill my review on the patient gamer subreddit from a few hours ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/comments/18e14nc/chained_echoes_2022_a_classic_rpg_so_long_as_you/

I don't post anything else on that site except reviews, but I should start a blog.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
mon dieu, what the gently caress happened to reddit's UI

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Everything. It happened this week.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Change "www.reddit" to "old.reddit" and it looks less bad.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I enjoy SaGa Frontier, but both Octopaths are better than it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
haven't touched any of the SaGa games but if we're going with rpg's with this structure then i had a vastly better time with Live a Live than OT2

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I liked Chained Echoes overall but my major complaint is that if you need to backtrack for any reason (missed treasure, just forgot where to go, etc.) the fact that all encounters require you to be paying attention really drags out travel and that the rewards for encounters are extremely minimal.

Like it's obviously trying to address multiple problems that many encounters have in other games such as encounters being boiled down to "press your most resource efficient AoE attack," it's a perceived waste to spend resources on random encounters because you gotta conserve it for the boss, players grinding endlessly to destroy any intended difficulty curve, but it feels really unrewarding when an encounter in an optional high difficulty dungeon takes longer and gives less rewards than 5 pig rabbit thingies next to a save point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the narrative disconnect in saga frontier is a lot more interesting and the game's mechanical weirdness is cooler, especially since each character does just have their own party and stories are deliberately separated so you aren't just walking straight from one character's scenes to another. octopath is more approachable but it's also not really as cohesive in how it's trying to utilize its structure