Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Apparently Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader runs well out the box. Kinda tempting, the idea of a CRPG set in the 40k universe. But also paying full price for a 40k game seems a little foolish.

not really - just tried it on the OLED and runs bad (28fps avg with a bunch of settings turned down).
the game's also not meant to be played on such a small screen, text is hard to make out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Taking my new OLED for a spin, and trying to get EmuDeck set up.

Having trouble getting the Steam Deck to recognize an external drive. I've tried two external SSDs: one ExFAT, one NTFS. Both can be seen in gaming mode as drives I can format, but I don't want to format them to the Linux format because then Windows can't read them.

I'm a bit confused because everything I've read says that the Steam Deck should be able to recognize either file system but neither drive seems to mount for some reason.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Taking my new OLED for a spin, and trying to get EmuDeck set up.

Having trouble getting the Steam Deck to recognize an external drive. I've tried two external SSDs: one ExFAT, one NTFS. Both can be seen in gaming mode as drives I can format, but I don't want to format them to the Linux format because then Windows can't read them.

I'm a bit confused because everything I've read says that the Steam Deck should be able to recognize either file system but neither drive seems to mount for some reason.

Mine recognizes exfat flash drives and SD cards. When I plug it in while Im in desktop mode it asks if I want to mount it first. If youre not simply missing that try a flash drive?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Rolo posted:

Mine recognizes exfat flash drives and SD cards. When I plug it in while I’m in desktop mode it asks if I want to mount it first. If you’re not simply missing that… try a flash drive?

Alrighty I think I figured it out. The exFAT drive is only recognized when it's plugged in at restart (but that didn't work for the NTFS drive for some reason). With that, the deck recognizes it as mounted and I can run EmuDeck's rom importer.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Weird, maybe the size has something to do with it, none of my drives Ive used are above 64

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Listen, size isn't everything.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

shrike82 posted:

not really - just tried it on the OLED and runs bad (28fps avg with a bunch of settings turned down).
the game's also not meant to be played on such a small screen, text is hard to make out

Ah bummer ProtonDB led me to believe otherwise but I think all that was pre-release.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Ah bummer ProtonDB led me to believe otherwise but I think all that was pre-release.

Use FSR 2. I get well over 30 fps, which is my target with most settings at their highest - only AO, TAA and one other thing I forget at medium. That's with Quality and even Ultra Quality FSR. Use the FSR sharpening slider to your taste, I have it around 0.2.

There's a font size slider.

Game is fine on Deck. ProtonDB isn't wrong.

It isn't as low power usage as WotR, which ran at 10-12W even with the LCD, but I'm seeing 18W or so in Quality FSR I think it was.

The FSR implementation seemed good enough in the 10-20 minutes I had with the game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rolo posted:

Yeah but rude-as-hell is a normal thing for a developer to do when they see dollar signs.

My 2 birds just captain planeted into a rainbow harbinger of death, got me up above level 120 and earned me 10,000 upgrade dollars.
I love that weapon because out of loving nowhere it's a reference to Vandal Hearts, a PS1 Konami SRPG.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Commander Keene posted:

I love that weapon because out of loving nowhere it's a reference to Vandal Hearts, a PS1 Konami SRPG.

Speaking of PS1, like 3/4 of this game is pulled directly from symphony of the night lol

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

shrike82 posted:

Counterpoint - I can read it just fine on my OLED and the fps barely matters in a turn-based strategy.

Game is very good.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rolo posted:

Speaking of PS1, like 3/4 of this game is pulled directly from symphony of the night lol
Yeah, but it wears that on its sleeve, it's obvious the game's visuals rip off SOTN because everyone and their kid brother have played SOTN. The Vandal Hearts reference with the Vandalier weapon is both A) Much more subtle, and B) A reference to Vandal loving Hearts, a game loving NOBODY played.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 16, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

harrygomm posted:

why does steam download shader pre cache stuff every time i power cycle my deck? why does it download then for games i haven't launched? xbox, at least, recognizes that it's probably not important to update games im not actively playing with the same frequency as ones i launch daily. do i have to set ' only update this game when i launch it' for each individual game or have i overlooked a way to make that the default for all installs? do i really have to go to desktop mode to turn off all pre caching? that's really weird

It downloads shader caches that are on your device but which have changed since they were created. So if someone's cached a shader for the first time it'll be downloaded. It's like 50kb and takes 30 seconds and will make the game play smoother when you do launch it.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 16, 2024

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i just hit play and the downloads can sort themselves out later

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

My steam deck got turned back by Canada Post because it has a battery in it... Does anyone have any advice for getting one out of Canada?

E: I'm in NZ

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

harrygomm posted:

i agree they're beneficial but i don't need the freshest 600MB of HL1 shaders every time i go to desktop mode.
Half-Life doesn't have 600 MB of shaders. It's an OpenGL game from 1998--the original version didn't even use shaders. The size of the Half-Life shader cache on my Deck is 37 MB.

That said, Half-Life did get a pretty significant update for its 25th anniversary a couple of weeks ago, and notably on the Deck, Valve changed the default runtime from the Proton version to the Linux native one, so it probably did download a 600 MB update including all the Linux-native libraries and such. And if you uninstall/reinstall it you'll probably reclaim some space since it no longer uses the Windows versions of those same files.

I get your general point. It's a little weird the Deck aggressively downloads shader updates on boot, but doesn't do that when sleeping for an equivalent amount of time.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I don't know if there's a new setting or it's just new behavior - hope it's the latter - but Steam has been deferring shader updates for games I haven't played in a while in a "Update on next launch" category. It only does this if you haven't launched the game in a longish while, though - but still a very good improvement.

I'd love it if they'd just provide that behavior as an option for all games, including the one I played today.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anticheese posted:

My steam deck got turned back by Canada Post because it has a battery in it... Does anyone have any advice for getting one out of Canada?

E: I'm in NZ

Youll have to ship it with a specific cargo service, likely surface or designated cargo-only aircraft, I think. The box is labeled roughly to that effect, I believe. (Or maybe that was the Quest 3 box? Same rules will apply though.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Star Renegades is on sale and I seem to remember people saying its yet another great deck game and its only $6.24.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/651670/Star_Renegades/

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just took my first flight with the oled. The thinner case is so nice, I no longer have to wrestle it out of the backpack.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
For those that didnt realize the basic bitch case doesnt have the thin liner, there are good alternatives on Amazon. Total game changer, putting the big chonker in a drawer.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Death Stranding DC is on some Fanatical bundle and I think I'll jump on it finally after all those years since it's been out. How is it on the Deck for those who already went through it?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Saoshyant posted:

Death Stranding DC is on some Fanatical bundle and I think I'll jump on it finally after all those years since it's been out. How is it on the Deck for those who already went through it?

Was totally fine when I played through it a year ago. Went start to finish, pretty sure I got a fairly solid 40fps with maybe minor dips here and there? Its been a while, but no major issues I can recall.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vegastar posted:

Was totally fine when I played through it a year ago. Went start to finish, pretty sure I got a fairly solid 40fps with maybe minor dips here and there? Its been a while, but no major issues I can recall.

Yup this was my experience. Pretty solid 40 overall.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I played some Vampire Survivors today on the OLED. I havent play much since the switch to Unity. It was barely holding 20fps on the old engine a year ago. Im astonished that it held 90fps nearly the entire couple rounds I played.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Fights in Tight Spaces was my plane game. Very satisfying deck builder where you beat down enemies in tiny arenas. Inspiration from the bathroom fight in mission impossible, and into the breach.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detective No. 27 posted:

I played some Vampire Survivors today on the OLED. I havent play much since the switch to Unity. It was barely holding 20fps on the old engine a year ago. Im astonished that it held 90fps nearly the entire couple rounds I played.
The "old engine" was literally a barebones web browser IIRC, I'm not surprised a new engine (that's actually a game engine this time) runs better. Guy kinda chose a bad time to switch over though, considering the (relatively) recent Unity kerfluffle.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Its like Hades was meant for the deck. Solid 90 fps and the art direction with all the vivid colors really makes that OLED shine.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Me playing any system: Its like Hades was made for this thing.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I received my OLED deck yesterday. It's going to be quite a while before I can play it due to work, but I do have one question.

Several people told me to not replace Linux with Win10 because the latter was not made for that sort of platform. All well and good. However, I'm still worried about compatability. I have so many older/abandoned games that are in .iso/raw .exe/installable exe format; I also have a lot of GOG games that can be installed via self-installing .exe's as well. They work perfectly on Win10, but I fear compatibility issues with Linux. Would it be useful to install Win10 as a dual-boot system to use when the base OS doesn't work? I bought the 1tb model and I am going to insert a 512gb MicroSD card that I'm not using elsewhere, so permanent memory is abundant. I know that I sound like a fussy old granny, but I just can't see Duels of the Planeswalkers from 1998 working on this.

Also, just as an aside, this thing is bloody huge. I've never held a Steam Deck before and had only seen them from across a room, but it's enormous.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

John DiFool posted:

Its like Hades was meant for the deck. Solid 90 fps and the art direction with all the vivid colors really makes that OLED shine.

I still contend Hades is the best showcase for the Deck that exists currently.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Is the base Steam Deck still worth it with the OLED out? I'm looking at grabbing a very lightly used one from a friend, it's a base 64gb model that's been upgraded with a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1tb, also comes with a SanDisk Extreme 512gb SD Card and a handful of accessories for $400 which I think sounds like a pretty good deal, just having some mild FOMO with not spending extra on the OLED. Does it make that much of a difference when I probably won't play anything made within the last decade (or two)?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I received my OLED deck yesterday. It's going to be quite a while before I can play it due to work, but I do have one question.

Several people told me to not replace Linux with Win10 because the latter was not made for that sort of platform. All well and good. However, I'm still worried about compatability. I have so many older/abandoned games that are in .iso/raw .exe/installable exe format; I also have a lot of GOG games that can be installed via self-installing .exe's as well. They work perfectly on Win10, but I fear compatibility issues with Linux. Would it be useful to install Win10 as a dual-boot system to use when the base OS doesn't work? I bought the 1tb model and I am going to insert a 512gb MicroSD card that I'm not using elsewhere, so permanent memory is abundant. I know that I sound like a fussy old granny, but I just can't see Duels of the Planeswalkers from 1998 working on this.

Also, just as an aside, this thing is bloody huge. I've never held a Steam Deck before and had only seen them from across a room, but it's enormous.

Sure install windows on the SD card its not hard at all. Youll eventually see why windows sucks but since its on the SD card its NBD.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Is the base Steam Deck still worth it with the OLED out? I'm looking at grabbing a very lightly used one from a friend, it's a base 64gb model that's been upgraded with a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1tb, also comes with a SanDisk Extreme 512gb SD Card and a handful of accessories for $400 which I think sounds like a pretty good deal, just having some mild FOMO with not spending extra on the OLED. Does it make that much of a difference when I probably won't play anything made within the last decade (or two)?

I just got the OLED after being on the fence about it, if you're at all into horror/atmospheric games, it's much better. Well worth the extra price if you can afford it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

JustJeff88 posted:

Before you start worrying about dual booting, give Bottles a shot. It's a pretty straightforward way to make WINE environments for old games.

Though you'll have to jump out to the desktop mode to install the app the fist time, you can add it to the steam library as a non-steam app afterward so you don't need to back out again.

If bottles doesn't do what you need for the games you want to play you can always try dual booting.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think Lutris installs GOG games and it's probably easily googleable which proton to use for a lot of them

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

JustJeff88 posted:

I mean, you could install Windows on its own dedicated microSD and set up Steam Big Picture to launch on boot, if you really have games that just won't run under any version of Proton. You lose access to a lot of the power management stuff you can do (TDP/framerate adjustments, PowerTools, etc) under Windows, though, so your battery life is going to suck no matter what the sophistication and complexity of the game you're playing is. Try Proton first, though, it's really the better option if it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Super No Vacancy posted:

i think Lutris installs GOG games and it's probably easily googleable which proton to use for a lot of them

Yeah Lutris is also great and if you use the search function it can find individualized setup scripts for games if they need tweaks to their wine/proton setup.

Emudeck is also another tool that's super useful for old games and has an easy one click install in SteamOS