Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Is the base Steam Deck still worth it with the OLED out? I'm looking at grabbing a very lightly used one from a friend, it's a base 64gb model that's been upgraded with a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1tb, also comes with a SanDisk Extreme 512gb SD Card and a handful of accessories for $400 which I think sounds like a pretty good deal, just having some mild FOMO with not spending extra on the OLED. Does it make that much of a difference when I probably won't play anything made within the last decade (or two)?

The base will do everything the oled will do, just with a worse screen and battery. If you have access to an og and oled switch you can sort of see what you would be missing out on. So far I have weathered the FOMO and am still enjoying my lcd a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you’re going to install Windows on your Deck you might as well buy an Ally because you’re giving up instant sleep, shader cache sharing, a great controller configuration, and all the power management stuff.

I would definitely not recommend an Ally over an OLED Deck, but…

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

If you’re going to install Windows on your Deck you might as well buy an Ally because you’re giving up instant sleep, shader cache sharing, a great controller configuration, and all the power management stuff.

I would definitely not recommend an Ally over an OLED Deck, but…

That’s why you just put windows on the SD card and don’t mess with the internal storage.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The other thing about really old games and GOG stuff is it rarely has good controller support and doesn't always acknowledge Steam Input, so even if you get them installed you're going to have issues playing them.

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Is the base Steam Deck still worth it with the OLED out? I'm looking at grabbing a very lightly used one from a friend, it's a base 64gb model that's been upgraded with a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1tb, also comes with a SanDisk Extreme 512gb SD Card and a handful of accessories for $400 which I think sounds like a pretty good deal, just having some mild FOMO with not spending extra on the OLED. Does it make that much of a difference when I probably won't play anything made within the last decade (or two)?

If you're getting a good deal on the LCD Deck it's still absolutely worth it. I don't have any issues with mine.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

do not waste your time with windows on this thing, imho, unless you are going to be using it docked all the time

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I feel like if you're gonna be docked all the time and running very old games that basically need mouse and keyboard, just take the money and build one of those tiny pcs or something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

I feel like if you're gonna be docked all the time and running very old games that basically need mouse and keyboard, just take the money and build one of those tiny pcs or something.

Good point

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

do not waste your time with windows on this thing, imho, unless you are going to be using it docked all the time

Yea, that's why I put windows 10 on an external ssd that's hooked up via the dock. I almost never use it, but at least it's available when I need it.

edit: Just a quick note if you do this, some SSDs draw more power than the official dock can handle. You need to either use the SSD at a slow speed (like using a cable with a lower max) or buy a different dock and use a 100W PD adapter.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Would it be useful to install Win10 as a dual-boot system to use when the base OS doesn't work? I bought the 1tb model and I am going to insert a 512gb MicroSD card that I'm not using elsewhere, so permanent memory is abundant. I know that I sound like a fussy old granny, but I just can't see Duels of the Planeswalkers from 1998 working on this.

In addition to all the practical advice, here's an old fashioned, content-free, "just drink the Kool aid" exhortation: just drink the Kool aid, JustJeff88 - at least before you try other drinks.

More seriously, approach the Deck without expectation or preconception of failure or need to stick to how you used to do something and you'll find it's a marvelously capable device - including its software and operating system.

Learning a bit about how to use Proton to handle edge cases can go a long way, since it's very powerful under the hood. There's plenty of knowledge in this thread.

It's possible that Duels may not work, but it's also possible that a simple WINEDLLOVERRIDES tweak may make it work. I'd get to that point before installing Windows.

You're giving up on a lot of the power by using Windows. Games run faster and better with the Proton/Linux layer than with all the bloat of Windows, important on this kind of hardware.

Linux isn't a compromise or negative on this device, it's what differentiates and makes this a better device than its competition for many common use cases - but not all, of course. Plenty of use cases where Windows will be better, but mostly because of compatibility, not usually because it plays better.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, there are much "better" options if your use case is Windows, but mostly you're just going to get a practical lesson in why handheld PCs failed to gain any real traction before the Steam Deck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It takes like 45 min to install windows on the SD card :shrug:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If you install windows on the Steam deck you’re an idiot I’m not gonna be shy about saying this anymore

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

i wanna install macOS on my steam deck

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Deckintosh

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

img-cosmic brain turning your deck into a hackintosh

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

MarcusSA posted:

And that's 45 minutes wasted.

The Deck isn't designed for Windows, and Windows isn't designed for the Deck. There's no use case that makes sense.

As mentioned above, if your desired use is old rear end games that don't emulate on Linux/Proton, they're gonna need a mouse and keyboard anyway, so at that point just buy a little box to put Windows and DOSbox on.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JUNGLE BOY posted:

i wanna install macOS on my steam deck

zero games :hmmyes:

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Hey now, there are newer games like Lost Ark ignoring the shame of not just clicking the drat checkbox to support Linux Anti-cheat, and until they're supported I can totally understand someone running Windows for a specific game they love.

I do not run Windows.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Atoramos posted:

Hey now, there are newer games like Lost Ark ignoring the shame of not just clicking the drat checkbox to support Linux Anti-cheat, and until they're supported I can totally understand someone running Windows for a specific game they love.

I do not run Windows.

I can't imagine the deck is capable of running Lost Ark. That game is absurd.

Also its like 90GB.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Doesnt the pre X Mac OS have a fair slap of games? I mean I wouldn't go to the bother to set it up when the NES version is there but Shadowgate and the other macventure games are certainly a point of intrest?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Doesnt the pre X Mac OS have a fair slap of games? I mean I wouldn't go to the bother to set it up when the NES version is there but Shadowgate and the other macventure games are certainly a point of intrest?

Mac gaming scene had some standouts but was super anemic until around the time they switched to intel chips.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Koburn posted:

The last system update turbo hosed my deck. Now whenever I remove the charging cable it instantly dies and won't turn back on until I reinsert it. Battery says it's at full.

Anyone had any experience with this problem?

An update on this, still no change in the fuckedness. Seems the update timing was coincidental as I haven't seen anyone else with the same problem recently. I tried checking if the battery cable was loose, it wasn't.

I don't see this being fixable on my end and going through steam support is agonizingly slow at the moment. It takes over 2 days for them to reply and each time it's a different person. They've already suggested the same copy and pasted reset the firmware/ BIOS instructions twice, despite telling them it didn't work the first time, and these were just one reply apart. Just scroll up bro.

If this were a live chat we could have banged it out in 10 minutes, just suggest the RMA already!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Annath posted:

I can't imagine the deck is capable of running Lost Ark. That game is absurd.

Also its like 90GB.

I have 2.5Tb of storage in my Deck, D4 played fine and I was considering Lost Ark until I saw I couldn't just run it native:

https://youtu.be/UtyQKZOF3t4?si=wgHAJPac8gtoZY0B

I'm sure there's other examples, but yea I'd totally install Windows on the SD to play specific games. It's not like compiled shaders won't eventually build out and compensate for the cache delivered by Steam

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

MarcusSA posted:

And that's 45 minutes not spent playing games. Absolutely unacceptable.

The steam deck offers to connect with your steam library effectively instantly and just allows you to suspend/resume stuff and pop in and out even if you only have 5 minutes to play. Just let it do it's job and enjoy your games.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
For the same price as a deck you can get a much, much faster laptop.

Do not buy a Deck to use it docked all the time, that's asinine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fuzz posted:

For the same price as a deck you can get a much, much faster laptop.

Do not buy a Deck to use it docked all the time, that's asinine.

Much much faster?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Some other people responded to this, but they may not have noticed that you're going to be paying almost as much as the 512 OLED for it.

If someone was offering a used base Steam Deck for like $200-300 or something I'd say definitely, but at $400 you're just $150 away from the OLED's price.

I guess it depends how useful the bundled accessories would be. How useful the extra 1tb of space would be also depends entirely on what sort of games you'd play and how fast your home wifi is (since you don't need a ton if you're not playing huge AAA games or if it's easy/quick to reinstall).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Rinkles posted:

Much much faster?

For the price of a brand new 1TB OLED or LE + Dock? For sure.

For the price of a used 64 gig LED? Hell no.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ytlaya posted:

Some other people responded to this, but they may not have noticed that you're going to be paying almost as much as the 512 OLED for it.

If someone was offering a used base Steam Deck for like $200-300 or something I'd say definitely, but at $400 you're just $150 away from the OLED's price.

I guess it depends how useful the bundled accessories would be. How useful the extra 1tb of space would be also depends entirely on what sort of games you'd play and how fast your home wifi is (since you don't need a ton if you're not playing huge AAA games or if it's easy/quick to reinstall).

Yeah this was what I was thinking. If you're going to spend that money, just buy a new one.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Fuzz posted:

For the price of a brand new 1TB OLED or LE + Dock? For sure.

For the price of a used 64 gig LED? Hell no.

Sure, but that that point you need to be comparing prices to used laptops on ebay or whatever.

You can get a cheap Asus laptop at Target for $270. Now, it's got 4gb of RAM and a 128gb HD, which is all laughable in 2023, but if we're just looking to play old abandonware stuff from the 90s, it's more than fine.

Once you're looking at actual 500gb OLED prices you're well into cheap Dell laptops with relatively modern specs.

And that's before we start getting into cheap desktops or just building your own ultra-budget low end system.

The reason to get a Steam Deck is because the handheld stuff is appealing. If all you want is a cheap PC there are easier ways to go about it.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure, but that that point you need to be comparing prices to used laptops on ebay or whatever.

You can get a cheap Asus laptop at Target for $270. Now, it's got 4gb of RAM and a 128gb HD, which is all laughable in 2023, but if we're just looking to play old abandonware stuff from the 90s, it's more than fine.

Once you're looking at actual 500gb OLED prices you're well into cheap Dell laptops with relatively modern specs.

And that's before we start getting into cheap desktops or just building your own ultra-budget low end system.

The reason to get a Steam Deck is because the handheld stuff is appealing. If all you want is a cheap PC there are easier ways to go about it.

Also worth getting for the inevitable (PLEASE GABEN) future when there's a Steam Controller 2 that you can natively map just like the built in deck controls! I would absolutely buy one just to leave it plugged in for that alone!

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 16, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

harrygomm posted:

are steam machines a thing any more? wikipedia says they cost between $50 and $6000 and the page they link to looks doa, so i guess that sort of answers my question

Not officially but Valve have said they’re interested in reviving the concept using SteamOS 3 as a Deck companion/alternative.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Songs of Conquest is awesome, and it looks like the devs are putting in some real effort to support the Steam Deck.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

harrygomm posted:

are steam machines a thing any more? wikipedia says they cost between $50 and $6000 and the page they link to looks doa, so i guess that sort of answers my question

You can build a small PC to shove under the TV and install Bazzite for HTPC's. It's setup to boot into Gamemode like SteamOS does and is similarly built on an immutable base (Silverblue).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Annath posted:

Songs of Conquest is awesome,
I went to wishlist this and discovered it was already in my library. I hate it when that happens.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I went to wishlist this and discovered it was already in my library. I hate it when that happens.

It's fine, just means you don't have to wait for the purchase steps to start playing!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

v1ld posted:

In addition to all the practical advice, here's an old fashioned, content-free, "just drink the Kool aid" exhortation: just drink the Kool aid, JustJeff88 - at least before you try other drinks.

More seriously, approach the Deck without expectation or preconception of failure or need to stick to how you used to do something and you'll find it's a marvelously capable device - including its software and operating system.

Learning a bit about how to use Proton to handle edge cases can go a long way, since it's very powerful under the hood. There's plenty of knowledge in this thread.

It's possible that Duels may not work, but it's also possible that a simple WINEDLLOVERRIDES tweak may make it work. I'd get to that point before installing Windows.

You're giving up on a lot of the power by using Windows. Games run faster and better with the Proton/Linux layer than with all the bloat of Windows, important on this kind of hardware.

Linux isn't a compromise or negative on this device, it's what differentiates and makes this a better device than its competition for many common use cases - but not all, of course. Plenty of use cases where Windows will be better, but mostly because of compatibility, not usually because it plays better.

You make a fair point, but I am a very cynical person, unapolagetically, by nature and I tend to assume that everything fails unti it provably succeeds. I've never used Linux outside of university because it's just not compatible with a lot of games and so on. The reason that I did not buy a classic Steam Deck last year was because, when I hear 'Steam Deck', I assume that it's not meant to work with non-Steam games. People sold me on its excellent emulation abilities after I paid a lot of money for an Odin that was underpowered for my wants; that also jaded me. I was looking for an all-in-one portable gaming device and I'm worried that this isn't it; perhaps nothing is. So, I have understandable caution. I bought an Odin hoping that would be a good portable emulation device for me, and it didn't work for a lot of what I wanted. I think that it's fair to have the same concern here.

By the way, the Duels reference is a bit misleading. A year or two ago I helped as a tester for a project to make the 1998 game and its expansions into a self-installing .exe that would work easily on modern machines because installing from the original discs/images on a modern machine is probably impossible. We succeeded, but it's still not a 'Steam game'.

I appreciate all of the advice that people have given me here. I'm sure that I will need it again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

should have bought a deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

JustJeff88 posted:

By the way, the Duels reference is a bit misleading. A year or two ago I helped as a tester for a project to make the 1998 game and its expansions into a self-installing .exe that would work easily on modern machines because installing from the original discs/images on a modern machine is probably impossible. We succeeded, but it's still not a 'Steam game'.

You're talking about the shandalar game, right? I have that and all the expansions on disc floating around somewhere and occasionally get the itch to play it. Where might a body find this installer?