Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Start a bidding war on August 31st, which contender is going to pay $60m (not pro-rated) to have him on the playoff roster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ohtani to the Saudi Baseball league.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ohtani is going to sign with a defunct team, perplexing everyone, including his agent.

Say hello to the newest member of the Brooklyn Tip-Tops, Shohei Ohtani.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

rickiep00h posted:

Worked great for Bauer.

I mean gently caress Bauer but like, if you're just chasing huge AAV's, don't mind betting on your health, and are really, really good then you'd probably make more money doing one year deals, again if you can stay healthy and productive. Probably always a team out there willing to throw $40-50M for one year at an ace or MVP bat, but not as many willing to throw 300/10 or 400/10 deals out there.

Granted I have to imagine the union would come down on players trying to game the system that way like a sack of bricks because. Cheapskate owners would probably be livid as well.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Gonz posted:

Ohtani is going to sign with a defunct team, perplexing everyone, including his agent.

Say hello to the newest member of the Brooklyn Tip-Tops, Shohei Ohtani.

Ohtani can truly become a member of the Akron Groomsmen

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Ohtani hasn't decided because I am Ohtani and I can't stop posting.

(In reality I'll probably learn five hours after everyone else does because I am very done with how much clout the usual winter suspects are trying to create with this.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
A pitcher should never, ever bet on his health.

Like if Ohtani were signing a 1 year contract this year he'd get maybe $35-40M tops because you'd be signing a DH. Anyone who's not also one of the world's best hitters in addition to being a pitcher would be insane to sign for less than the maximum possible years/dollars though.

e: I do bet Ohtani's trying to get an opt-out after 2 years so he can re-establish himself as a pitcher and then hit the market again. That's sure as hell what I would be doing if I were his agent.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I believe nothing until I see dry ink. I learned from others yesterday.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Explosionface posted:

I believe nothing until I see dry ink. I learned from others yesterday.

Same. Pretty ballsy and foolhardy to go "psyche he's actually going to be a Cub" when a bunch of people straight up said "Shohei's camp has not made a decision and there is no timeline" after everyone got worked up yesterday. Especially when the current rumor mill is the Cubs weren't willing to pay Ohtani's price tag.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You'll notice none of these clowns who are just guessing and hoping to be right is announcing their Inside Sources inform them Shohei is about to sign with the Dodgers. Because no one would care about your Big Scoop if he just signs where everyone assumes he will sign and you won't get to be a Twitter Celebrity for 15 minutes.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

shohei is a dodger

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

shohei is a dodger

He sure likes dodging the press who are just doing their job as media vultures picking at anything resembling a story

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

shoehi is going to re-sign with the angels on the condition that they rehire Joe Maddon who according to his book invented letting ohtani hit and pitch

DSzymborski
Jun 5, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Glad that the goon insider agrees!!!

I wonder how much of the Ohtani frontrunner news is just writers kinda wishcasting stuff into existing. After all, the Winter Meetings themselves were boring as gently caress. I think I spent about 45 minutes total in the media room and spent the rest of the three and a half days mostly daydrinking with colleagues.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

shoehi is going to re-sign with the angels on the condition that they rehire Joe Maddon who according to his book invented letting ohtani hit and pitch
I missed this gem, you got any choice excerpts?

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Jubs posted:

Ohtani Advent Calendar

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

https://twitter.com/CJGolson/status/1733506515179393280

he's doubling down on this lmao. i don't believe believe it, but shohei i will pick you up from the airport just lmk

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Gabagool posted:

https://twitter.com/CJGolson/status/1733506515179393280

he's doubling down on this lmao. i don't believe believe it, but shohei i will pick you up from the airport just lmk

Dude is going to be so sad when this doesn't cause the same firestorm as yesterday.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Big if true

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Poque posted:

Big if true

True if big

--MLB press

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There is just no way that today can be as fun as yesterday was, and that’s a bummer

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Explosionface posted:

Dude is going to be so sad when this doesn't cause the same firestorm as yesterday.

It's weird that a Twitter rando with a history of making poo poo up doesn't generate the same traction as actual baseball reporters reporting incorrect information

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

There is just no way that today can be as fun as yesterday was, and that’s a bummer

It can if he signs with the Cubs today

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Forrest on Fire posted:

Shohei Ohtani wants a team that's on the up and up and his eyes popped at their Elite Infield Defense, Superstars Ready To Debut, and the revenge tour for Matt Mervis. There just aren't any young talented infielders in Toronto, sorry :smuggo:

Ohtani continues to be just like us: a huge Mervert.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Inspector_666 posted:

Ohtani continues to be just like us: a huge Mervert.

:hmmyes:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Shohei is signing with the...Ducks?
https://twitter.com/shoheisaveus/status/1733485746491953482

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Thankfully Chicago has a professional hockey team. I think they do at least?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
There hasn’t been a lot of ~*mystery team*~ or ~*dark horse*~ action so I’m happy to see that he will actually be signing with the White Sox

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

they used to and then they did something horrible and contracted themselves out of shame, is what i recall happened. chicago hockey fans are hoping to snag the arizona coyotes when they relocate.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

They do! They are very good at ignoring the rape of a junior teammate by a member of the coaching staff in pursuit of a Stanley Cup!

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

bedard x ohtani friendship arc, let's go

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

they used to and then they did something horrible and contracted themselves out of shame, is what i recall happened. chicago hockey fans are hoping to snag the arizona coyotes when they relocate.

No they just traded names with the Nashville team, they are now known as the Chicago Predators

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Revenge for the Chicago Cardinals, at last

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Chief McHeath posted:

There hasn’t been a lot of ~*mystery team*~ or ~*dark horse*~ action so I’m happy to see that he will actually be signing with the White Sox

The most amount of money the White Sox have ever spent on a contract is $75 million for Benintendi. Lol at Reinsdorf opening his wallet ever.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Hoornstra is standing by his report that Ohtani to the Jays is happening.

https://twitter.com/JoshuaHowsam/status/1733553947682443388?t=CMSDX2Dp-mwJ_TAUbCW71g&s=19

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
A Dodgers site insisting that Ohtani's going to Toronto seems legit.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Well I'm convinced. Congrats Jays fans

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Don Cherry chat yesterday and more hockey chat today. Truly a blessed time in the off-season thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

R.D. Mangles posted:

shohei is a dodger

no!!! gently caress you!!!!!