Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the trotter just seems to add to your problems. Trials plus Guin with Resolution and Huohuo got me to 5 cycles.

also, boy is it humiliating when the crappy trial versions are still better built than your actual characters in roster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I wouldn't say they're actually "better," but they're definitely set up to solve the very specific puzzle that's been laid out. So you'l probably save yourself some trouble by just using the trial one instead of doing something silly like trying to compare stats. Especially since the details view won't show /your/ whoever if you're looking at the details on the trial version.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

The trotter is the best choice for the buffs. This match I managed to get it done in 4 cycles with my underbuilt guaifenesin and Bronya (although I ran out of SP and had to just use her basic).

Just spam Sampo and Kafka skills until they get their ults then use Sampo ult first then Kafka's, that should start a chain where you'll be able to just fire off ults nonstop in the first cycle

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Zenostein posted:

I wouldn't say they're actually "better," but they're definitely set up to solve the very specific puzzle that's been laid out. So you'l probably save yourself some trouble by just using the trial one instead of doing something silly like trying to compare stats. Especially since the details view won't show /your/ whoever if you're looking at the details on the trial version.

lol no i checked, mine are in fact legitimately worse in every way (f2p account)

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Some good changes being done to the gacha in Honkai Impact 3rd two patches from now. It means it's no longer the unfriendly nightmare it currently is and is arguably better than Genshin and Star Rail's gacha when implemented, with a character guarantee at 90 pulls and a weapon guarantee at 60 pulls, neither of which use a 50-50 system so you won't fail getting either characters or weapons and gear is now becoming much easier to craft.

As someone who's interested in getting into HI3 to experience the story: are these changes going to apply to the "legacy mode" that has all the original story, or will they only apply to the new mode they're making that stars a Genshin/Star Rail-style self insert?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Izzhov posted:

As someone who's interested in getting into HI3 to experience the story: are these changes going to apply to the "legacy mode" that has all the original story, or will they only apply to the new mode they're making that stars a Genshin/Star Rail-style self insert?

I don't look at spoilers, but the story for HI3 stops letting you use your own characters for a long time the chapter before the first big power creep, and even when it starts letting you again it gives you up to date trial characters. I'm not going to make a new account to test, but between that and the free beginner guide characters (Fallen Rosemary is still on my lightning and quantum teams), you probably don't even need the gacha for the story mode.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Today was the first one where I got 4 cycles with all my own units, which given my Kafka and Sampo are my two most invested units, makes sense. :v:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 hours!)

Had hard time with yesterdays and todays ring fight.
Yesterday cause I have no good aoe fire units. And today cause I have like no DoT stuff.
Got both at edge of 6 turns while the rest I had 1 turn each round

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Izzhov posted:

As Captain France said, from Chapter 7 onwards you're given trial characters to do the entire story with, so if it's just the story you're interested in then it literally doesn't matter, the trial characters are more than enough to get you through the game. The gacha only really applies to things outside of the story like the Abyss, co-op modes and other gameplay modes which earn you extra goodies towards the gacha, but aren't necessary for the story at all.

When people bitch about HI3's gacha, it's in service to the side stuff, it's stopped being part of the story from Chapter 7 onwards (and we're now on Chapter 41). The changes two patches from now just make that side of things better.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I have Serval, Kafka, and Silverwolf in my primary team because I think they are cool and I don't want to drop any of them. Who would be good in the 4th slot?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

bailu

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Bailu or Lynx, yeah. Feel like you don't want to add an extra type if you can avoid it.

I think aside from the cleanse Bailu is a bit better, but Lynx pairs well with Silver Wolf and anyone else without switching around.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

As Captain France said, from Chapter 7 onwards you're given trial characters to do the entire story with, so if it's just the story you're interested in then it literally doesn't matter, the trial characters are more than enough to get you through the game. The gacha only really applies to things outside of the story like the Abyss, co-op modes and other gameplay modes which earn you extra goodies towards the gacha, but aren't necessary for the story at all.

When people bitch about HI3's gacha, it's in service to the side stuff, it's stopped being part of the story from Chapter 7 onwards (and we're now on Chapter 41). The changes two patches from now just make that side of things better.

To be entirely fair we don't know if part 2 will shake things up there too, I certainly didn't see them changing the gacha, but I doubt it will affect part 1's story even if they do.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I have Serval, Kafka, and Silverwolf in my primary team because I think they are cool and I don't want to drop any of them. Who would be good in the 4th slot?

Fireblazer? It can help with fire DoT if you manage to get the Preservation LC that focuses on it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i think I like Hanya more than Bronya lol

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Just finished the story part of the Huohuo event.

I thought it was pretty good! I kinda regret not being able to pull a lot on Huohuo now.

I also want Hanya now, but I'm close to my 50/50 currently and wanna save it for Ruan Mei

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I really enjoyed the Huohuo event too. I thought I would be cringing a lot at the twitter interface at first but it was more funny than anything else. The texts between the team were fun - I think it’s hard sometimes to have characters interact in a gacha. Like they either go to heavy and it’s always serious with no context for friendships, or it feels forced or something. But here although it was exaggerated it felt nice to see them all interact.

I liked the concept of the heliobi too, and actually sympathized more with them than the game probably wanted me too. Kind of a hosed up situation for them to have ended up the way they did, being sentient and all and pieces of a whole that were scattered apart fed on human emotions that they craved after being forced into that situation. Seemed like having them all used as an energy source before the event (if I understood correctly) was pretty messed up too, but no one seemed to mention having any issues with any of that I guess.

It’s nice to have story and text I’ll happily read and listen to that develops characters and world building. It must be hard to strike a balance in a live service game where content comes out so often.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

rio posted:

Seemed like having them all used as an energy source before the event (if I understood correctly) was pretty messed up too, but no one seemed to mention having any issues with any of that I guess.

Everything about Xianshou culture is hosed up. Their guiding philosophy is to help the god of revenge prosecute a galactic extermination because they hate their immortality so much, while also looking down on non-immortals.

Their collective moral compass is utterly hosed, of course they think nothing of using a bunch of sentient parasites as batteries for all eternity.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

free the heliobi

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tree Reformat posted:

Everything about Xianshou culture is hosed up. Their guiding philosophy is to help the god of revenge prosecute a galactic extermination because they hate their immortality so much, while also looking down on non-immortals.

Their collective moral compass is utterly hosed, of course they think nothing of using a bunch of sentient parasites as batteries for all eternity.

It's less just because they hate their immortality and more because becoming immortal in the way that they originally achieved it on Xianzhou almost inevitably eventually turns you into a psychopathic monster devoid of rational thought and continuing to spread this type of immortality would be very, very bad. It's basically an atonement journey for the sin of bringing this problem into the universe in the first place.

The abundance dudes are Not Good. We have multiple examples of people getting high on the supposedly cool and awesome abundance immortality stuff and turning into literal monstrosities. It's less of a philosophical debate and more "there is a group of people who want to turn people into monsters while chasing a nebulous idea of immortality and a group of people who want that to never, ever happen and are willing to shoot the first group to make sure it doesn't".

Kanos fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 10, 2023

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Kanos posted:

It's less just because they hate their immortality and more because becoming immortal in the way that they originally achieved it on Xianzhou almost inevitably turns you into a psychopathic monster devoid of rational thought and continuing to spread this type of immortality would be very, very bad. It's basically an atonement journey for the sin of bringing this problem into the universe in the first place.

The abundance dudes are Not Good. We have multiple examples of people getting high on the supposedly cool and awesome abundance immortality stuff and turning into literal monstrosities. It's less of a philosophical debate and more "there is a group of people who want to turn people into monsters while chasing a nebulous idea of immortality and a group of people who want that to never, ever happen and are willing to shoot the first group to make sure it doesn't".

I consider more "both of you are abhorrently evil assholes" because one side is trying to incompetently spread a form of immortality with very bad unintended consequences, and the other is victims of the first (and their own hubris) deciding also hubristically that they can only atone for the hell they created for themselves by genociding anyone the first group and anyone who is even suspected of coming into contact with them (other than themselves, of course).

It's why I was so pissed 1.2 took that very interesting morally grey philosophical dispute that was developing and immediately flushed it down the toilet so we could fight the mustache-twirling big boobed lady with zero introspection afterwards of how anyone got here in the first place.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

who are we short-lived neanderthals to judge long-lived culture

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tree Reformat posted:

I consider more "both of you are abhorrently evil assholes" because one side is trying to incompetently spread a form of immortality with very bad unintended consequences, and the other is victims of the first (and their own hubris) deciding also hubristically that they can only atone for the hell they created for themselves by genociding anyone the first group and anyone who is even suspected of coming into contact with them (other than themselves, of course).

It's why I was so pissed 1.2 took that very interesting morally grey philosophical dispute that was developing and immediately flushed it down the toilet so we could fight the mustache-twirling big boobed lady with zero introspection afterwards of how anyone got here in the first place.

I never really saw there being a meaningful philosophical dispute. The dispute was the Sanctus Medicus going "hey let us keep making and propagating monsterization pills and snookering desperate, greedy, and hopeless people into taking the monsterization pills by claiming it will cure all of their illnesses and make them immortal(by turning them into monsters) before we revive the evil tree that will help us make sure EVERYONE gets mara" and getting upset when the Xianzhou authorities say "okay, we will kill you to stop you from doing that". The closest thing to the Sanctus getting any positive press was Dan Shu selling you her sob story(before handing you some monsterization pills to take). It's about as much of a philosophical dispute as the Antimatter Legion going "hey, we'd like to destroy everything please" and other people going "no" and blowing them up.

I absolutely understand the desire for there to be some nuance to the Abundance/Hunt debate, but the Abundance is basically just characterized as straight evil consistently and we get quests like "woman trying to help her lover by joining the Sanctus slowly turns into a monster and loses all of her sapience before her lover sees her twisted form and runs away screaming in terror" to hammer it home.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 10, 2023

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Digging up in the logs it turns out this isn't even Xianzhou's first rodeo with a Lord Ravager. One time, the Ravager just goes to Xianzhou and openly offers an alliance since you know, they want to destroy a civilization, and it happens to worship Abundance, and everyone knows how Xianzhou feels about Abundance. It doesn't say whether they took them up on the offer but it's still not a good look, especially considering how Lan is just shooting world-killing arrows anywhere and not minding the odd bit of galactic-scale collateral damage.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Everything about the Xianzhou makes perfect sense when you realize they are just "genocide space elves".

Anyway, today's event is the first I just barely cleared with six cycles. Bronya not being speed tuned to the trial Seele certainly didn't help.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Traveller posted:

It doesn't say whether they took them up on the offer but it's still not a good look, especially considering how Lan is just shooting world-killing arrows anywhere and not minding the odd bit of galactic-scale collateral damage.

I haven't delved deep into the lore, but this is kind of my understanding of all the Aeons. They literally cannot think or care about anything that is not their single purpose, and do not care who it hurts in the process if it forwards that goal.

No Aeons no masters.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The introspection is implicit because you are supposed to understand that by interfering with the (Buddhist) cycle of death and rebirth the Xianzhou humans essentially have what in the West you'd understand as Original Sin at birth. The karmic implications of evading death are real and the Abundance can be seen as an equivalent to Satan in that it goes around offers a gift (immortality) that is tainted. Hunting down the Abundance is both their way of figuring out how to undo their curse as well as atone for their collective sin.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I still see no moral daylight between the Xianzhou and the IPC. They're both dogmatically devoted to the directive of their patron Aeon's philosophies, in a manner that's ruthlessly imperialistic and is actively harmful to the wider galactic community, and they both have the gall smuggly tell you you're too primitive to understand why they're the enlightened ones actually for doing all this horrible poo poo. They're all polite and friendly right up to the point you tell them "no", at which point the knives come out and you comply or die (or comply and die, in the Xianzhou's case).

Argenti might be an annoying evangelist for a dead Aeon, but I doubt he and his buddies ever condemned entire colonies to death while waxing poetic on the Beauty of life.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Hanya, I love you. But you are the most needy, codependent person I have ever met.

Did today's challenge in 5. Never touched Seele.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Tree Reformat posted:

Everything about the Xianzhou makes perfect sense when you realize they are just "genocide space elves".

Anyway, today's event is the first I just barely cleared with six cycles. Bronya not being speed tuned to the trial Seele certainly didn't help.

I dropped Bronya for Pela for this exact reason. I went from 7 cycles to 4 using the trial Seele, trial SW, Tingyun, and Pela.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I think there's a lot of potential to what Dan Shu said. Maybe just because I am trans but the idea of your body conforming to how "nature" says it should be is completely horrific and if that happened to me, I would be as desperate as her and open to some hosed up ideas to fix it. Killing her with basically no fanfare and certainly not examining her arguments was such a missed opportunity. The game still has other stuff saying that the hunt is very hosed up. Foxians are short lifed species who get to live on the Xianzhou and they get to do the dying in the military, typically ending up in the fighter wing which is the one that takes the most causalities. Yukong's story quest is one of the best in the game and has so many great moments that hint as to how hosed up Xianzhou society is. After her ship crashes and she holds her best friend (who she was in love with) in her arms as she dies, Yukong gets to see Lan flick it's wrist and end this war that killed millions in one stroke.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tree Reformat posted:

I still see no moral daylight between the Xianzhou and the IPC. They're both dogmatically devoted to the directive of their patron Aeon's philosophies, in a manner that's ruthlessly imperialistic and is actively harmful to the wider galactic community, and they both have the gall smuggly tell you you're too primitive to understand why they're the enlightened ones actually for doing all this horrible poo poo. They're all polite and friendly right up to the point you tell them "no", at which point the knives come out and you comply or die (or comply and die, in the Xianzhou's case).

Argenti might be an annoying evangelist for a dead Aeon, but I doubt he and his buddies ever condemned entire colonies to death while waxing poetic on the Beauty of life.

I think you just need to reframe the narrative. The Xianzhou is a tragic wuxia story full of maybe gay people who have been cursed for reasons beyond their control and unless they actively fight the Abundance they are doomed to descend into madness and forcibly put out of their misery by their peers. The IPC is just a satire of Chinese capitalism. They're Bad but necessary for modern lifestyles.

Both narratives are about seeking balance (hi Asian storytelling). The Xianzhou have their balance irreperably hosed by the decisions of their forebearers and have inherited that karmic debt for millenia and so they have to continue to make up for it. It's tragic because they have to fight for a potentially impossible goal for the rest of eternity because inaction is worse. The IPC connects the stars together and enables people to live in greater comfort and connectiveness than otherwise but they are always pushing into greedier territory, so external forces (Aurum Alley, Belobog) have to resist them for balance to be achieved.

I don't think you're supposed to go into this with a Western lens and be like Imperialism, bad! Capitalism, bad!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

oh, to get the Perfect Knockout rating, you don't have to clear everything in one shot.
went back and tried to do a bunch of 6turn clears and got 5 turns on the last two and still go the perfect rating grade on it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Eimi posted:

I think there's a lot of potential to what Dan Shu said. Maybe just because I am trans but the idea of your body conforming to how "nature" says it should be is completely horrific and if that happened to me, I would be as desperate as her and open to some hosed up ideas to fix it. Killing her with basically no fanfare and certainly not examining her arguments was such a missed opportunity. The game still has other stuff saying that the hunt is very hosed up. Foxians are short lifed species who get to live on the Xianzhou and they get to do the dying in the military, typically ending up in the fighter wing which is the one that takes the most causalities. Yukong's story quest is one of the best in the game and has so many great moments that hint as to how hosed up Xianzhou society is. After her ship crashes and she holds her best friend (who she was in love with) in her arms as she dies, Yukong gets to see Lan flick it's wrist and end this war that killed millions in one stroke.

There is something to examine in Dan Shu's arguments yes, but her body is being kept "natural" by the blessings of abundance. Going to the source of that problem to get it solved seems, backwards (and clearly hasn't actually worked).

I do like that the Foxian Haunting Tales does explain more deeply what Phantylia was (she's a heliobus).

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

It sure doesn't help that Xianzhou people get to poo poo on people with disabilities seemingly without consequence, and the cycle might just repeat with the young blind girl because there won't be a Trailblazer around to chase off bullies forever.

Eej posted:

I think you just need to reframe the narrative. The Xianzhou is a tragic wuxia story full of maybe gay people who have been cursed for reasons beyond their control and unless they actively fight the Abundance they are doomed to descend into madness and forcibly put out of their misery by their peers.

Or they become Jingliu, who is probably Xianzhou's ultimate outcome.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Eej posted:

I think you just need to reframe the narrative. The Xianzhou is a tragic wuxia story full of maybe gay people who have been cursed for reasons beyond their control and unless they actively fight the Abundance they are doomed to descend into madness and forcibly put out of their misery by their peers. The IPC is just a satire of Chinese capitalism. They're Bad but necessary for modern lifestyles.

Both narratives are about seeking balance (hi Asian storytelling). The Xianzhou have their balance irreperably hosed by the decisions of their forebearers and have inherited that karmic debt for millenia and so they have to continue to make up for it. It's tragic because they have to fight for a potentially impossible goal for the rest of eternity because inaction is worse. The IPC connects the stars together and enables people to live in greater comfort and connectiveness than otherwise but they are always pushing into greedier territory, so external forces (Aurum Alley, Belobog) have to resist them for balance to be achieved.

I don't think you're supposed to go into this with a Western lens and be like Imperialism, bad! Capitalism, bad!

I'll just say I really hope a future Xianzhou ship arc does more of what Yukong's quest did and centers more on the victims of the Hunt. This recent patch had JY state another ship found a way to live in peace with their heliobi, maybe the Luofu is actually just the most socially messed up of the fleet (other than that one that became basically an IPC colony, rip Sushang's hometown I guess) since it's where the immortality tree was placed (and maybe where the most hosed up Vidyahara/Xianzhou conflicts occured?).

Tree Reformat fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 10, 2023

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i like reading the books about the immortal prisoners they got in the shop dungeons. pretty sure they have a dead tetsuo corpse that keeps gooping out more flesh forever.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the Xianzhou have me rooting for the intergalactic space terrorist that wants to kill god

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Am I the only one who's bored with the Xianzhou? I honestly don't want to see any other event involving them for a while. There's a whole universe out there! We've already went on that whole silly saying goodbyes to everybody thing and yet we're still sticking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

Am I the only one who's bored with the Xianzhou? I honestly don't want to see any other event involving them for a while. There's a whole universe out there! We've already went on that whole silly saying goodbyes to everybody thing and yet we're still sticking around.

Thankfully it looks like Penacony is finally coming in 2.0, presumably we'll get some back to school event for Dr Ratio / Ruan Mei and then it'll be a big story drop.