Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Platystemon posted:

Folks, I have sinned.

I bought silicone brake lever covers, but I didn’t pay four time extra to get them in Bianchi celeste.

What is the functional purpose of these, I’ve never heard of them. Or do you mean hood covers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wooger posted:

What is the functional purpose of these, I’ve never heard of them. Or do you mean hood covers?

Cold aluminum is unpleasant to touch.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

just get pogies

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The Fool posted:

just get pogies

In 30min or so of standing outside, the metal reaches equilibrium with the ambient temp.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Get free heat from the steam engine you’re straddling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvS8wtnNQz4

Ridden a couple minutes from the end of the video.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Anyone have experience running SRAM DUB cranks with a BB86 bottom bracket? I don't know why Giant and Canyon would sell so many bikes running this setup if the bearing life is as bad as they say :sigh:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My mtbs are both PF92, which is the same diameter but a little wider. Hei hei has the wheels mfg bb, which is just two double row bearings with a flange and a 29mm ID. Pretty funny since it's like, how the original bb30 worked. You do have to do a little trial and error on the spacers unlike the sram dub bb that tells you exactly what to put on each side. Not entirely sure they're worth it. Bike needs a new bb about every year and doesn't seem like the fancy wheels one lasted that much longer than the much cheaper sram part. Although, to be fair, the last one was perfectly fine until I did a pretty long ride in the rain and mud. Replaced it with the same thing.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-bracke...d-bearings.html

my trek that's also bb92 and dub just has the sram bb in it. So far so good after like a a year and 1200mi. When it dies i might put in the wheels one? Annoyingly expensive for two bearings though.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
My brother just bought a new fork for his gravel bike and it's got those three vertical bosses on each fork blade. Isn't there a common term for those, like three-pack bosses or something? i wanted to get him something dumb to attach to them, but can't for the life of me remember the term (i'm getting old). I know I could get an Anything Cage or that kind of thing, but was trying to see what else is out there.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Sphyre posted:

Anyone have experience running SRAM DUB cranks with a BB86 bottom bracket? I don't know why Giant and Canyon would sell so many bikes running this setup if the bearing life is as bad as they say :sigh:

It's "eh fine" if you ride in fair weather conditions and if your BB shell is perfectly aligned.

Also what jamal mentioned. The direct-fit double-row flanged 4130 bearings are definitely going to be more durable than SRAM's own press-in cups with single-row 4030 bearings.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 11, 2023

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Bouillon Rube posted:

Anyone have experience with this type of trailer?

Trying to decide between the two-child carrier and the one-child version- I only have on kid (2 years old/20lb) but the two-child version is much cheaper. Would just having one kid in it throw the balance off//make the ride bumpier?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FFHTJC7?ie=UTF8&tag=giftful04-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B07FFHTJC7&th=1&psc=1

The double will be wider, so there's a non-zero chance you'll cycle through a gap at speed and only find out it's too narrow for the trailer when you go over the handlebars.
That said, I've got a single Thule Chariot which both my children (2 and 4) now try to squeeze into at the same time (for walking, not cycling) and I really wish I'd spent the tiny bit extra 4 years ago for the double.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

In 30min or so of standing outside, the metal reaches equilibrium with the ambient temp.
Yeah in the winter thick rear end grips and brake lever covers are great cheap QoL improvements.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I'm looking at getting some winter boots after my feet got soaked/frozen walking through flooded areas a few times recently.

Was looking at these Lake ones, but have also seen Northwave mentioned here quite a bit. https://www.lakecycling.com/products/mx-146

Are there any favourite winter boots I should look at?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I like Muck boots.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Yeah I did forget to mention cycling in that post

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Heliosicle posted:

Yeah I did forget to mention cycling in that post

/me checks the that title

... Muck boots. Sticking with it. The perfect cycling shoe!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Heliosicle posted:

I'm looking at getting some winter boots after my feet got soaked/frozen walking through flooded areas a few times recently.

Was looking at these Lake ones, but have also seen Northwave mentioned here quite a bit. https://www.lakecycling.com/products/mx-146

Are there any favourite winter boots I should look at?

If you’re walking in a flood there not much to be done imo. You’d need flats and rubber Wellington boots.

I have those mx146 boots in the largest available size. They’re a bit much most of the time tbh, quite bulky and the stack height difference vs. my normal mtb shoes is big enough that I need to raise my saddle. I also mostly ride road, so don’t use them too much outside of some horrific winter commutes and gravel snow epics.

It’s very important to get the right size, and they’re kind of roomy inside so you need to wear big socks. Heel retention isn’t great, but you can bake them in an oven and heat form them around your foot to fit a little better.

Yet still easier to get on quickly than Spatz overshoes… I struggle to wake up early enough to actually use those.

With any boots or overshoes, your feet *will* get wet unless you stop water getting in at the top. A rubber gasket like this https://www.gripgrab.com/products/cyclingaiter-shoe-cover-cuffs?variant=42118870738 is a good idea.

The most waterproof overshoe is the velotoze, essentially a latex condom for your feet and lower leg, but it generally won’t last more than a few weeks of riding without ripping.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

frogbs posted:

My brother just bought a new fork for his gravel bike and it's got those three vertical bosses on each fork blade. Isn't there a common term for those, like three-pack bosses or something? i wanted to get him something dumb to attach to them, but can't for the life of me remember the term (i'm getting old). I know I could get an Anything Cage or that kind of thing, but was trying to see what else is out there.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

I was actually thinking of something that could hold a baguette, but a banana holder is also a great idea. Maybe banana holder on one side, baguette on the other.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

wooger posted:

If you’re walking in a flood there not much to be done imo. You’d need flats and rubber Wellington boots.

I have those mx146 boots in the largest available size. They’re a bit much most of the time tbh, quite bulky and the stack height difference vs. my normal mtb shoes is big enough that I need to raise my saddle. I also mostly ride road, so don’t use them too much outside of some horrific winter commutes and gravel snow epics.

It’s very important to get the right size, and they’re kind of roomy inside so you need to wear big socks. Heel retention isn’t great, but you can bake them in an oven and heat form them around your foot to fit a little better.

Yet still easier to get on quickly than Spatz overshoes… I struggle to wake up early enough to actually use those.

With any boots or overshoes, your feet *will* get wet unless you stop water getting in at the top. A rubber gasket like this https://www.gripgrab.com/products/cyclingaiter-shoe-cover-cuffs?variant=42118870738 is a good idea.

The most waterproof overshoe is the velotoze, essentially a latex condom for your feet and lower leg, but it generally won’t last more than a few weeks of riding without ripping.

Oh nice, thanks for the write up. My current off road clipless shoes have a vent underneath and mesh down to the sole so they're fairly useless in even minor puddles. Really all I'm after is moderate sealing up to the top of my foot, so maybe the MX146 are overkill

Your point about stack height is really useful though. I would definitely find that annoying since I use the same bike on road/gravel/indoors, so might look at some other options for now. Probably still have to be Lakes though since there's not many other truly wide options.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

frogbs posted:

https://bikerumor.com/tailfin-fork-pack-system-pannier-3-pack-mounts/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Or get the ortlieb ones lmao

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've been tempted to move my water bottle cages there to make room for a frame bag

foolish y/n?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

in other news I experienced my first real flat on a tubeless last night and the plug did jack all so now I'm putting a tube back into that tire until I feel like replacing the set

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Or get the ortlieb ones lmao

Supposedly the cool bit of these is the mount is minimal enough you can just leave it on

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

On my Kona Libre, I think the 3 bosses aren't quite equidistant or something because I'm only able to use the bottom pair in each side for two-bolt cages and such. I put my pump there and it's been fine.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have shimano MW7 goretex boots. Pretty good, but if it's really wet out water will come in the top and then stay in the boot. I keep meaning to come up with some sort of a sleeve I can put over the cuff of the boot and under the bottom of my tights to try to help with that. Since they're heavier and bigger and bulkier than my normal fancy xc shoes I tend to not wear them unless I know for sure just shoe covers aren't going to cut it. So like under 30f or so.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Fool posted:

in other news I experienced my first real flat on a tubeless last night and the plug did jack all so now I'm putting a tube back into that tire until I feel like replacing the set
your first real flat *that you know of*. elastomer tubes are great for that.

amenenema posted:

Supposedly the cool bit of these is the mount is minimal enough you can just leave it on
The ortlieb one does stick out, like, 4 cm i guess

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

The Fool posted:

I've been tempted to move my water bottle cages there to make room for a frame bag

foolish y/n?

The one thing to be mindful of is you don't want the weight to be super different between the two sides - it makes handling weird.
This gets tricky if you're drinking the water from one side.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bicievino posted:

The one thing to be mindful of is you don't want the weight to be super different between the two sides - it makes handling weird.

Yah, when I had >50% difference in the sides of mine, the fork developed an insane speed wobble past 30mph. Really only a speed I was hitting on 5% gradients on tour, but still one of the scariest experiences. I pulled off after the second switchback and balanced my bottles out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
More forks ought to have stanchions on the bottom.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Platystemon posted:

What do you think a fork stanchion is?

I think you mean the threaded holes on the forks for mounting stuff.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I think it's called a reverse fork

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

brand engager posted:

I think it's called a reverse fork

a Krof

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ʞɹoɟ

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I missed buying a spare Brodie Diablo frame and a Marzocchi Shiver off marketplace a couple years ago because I couldn't fit the $200 they were asking into my budget, and I regret it constantly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wooger posted:

What do you think a fork stanchion is?

I think you mean the threaded holes on the forks for mounting stuff.

No. The threaded holes should be on the top, moving with the frame.

With conventional forks, they have to be on the bottom, adding to the unsprung mass of the wheel, because the top part is the stanchions. You can’t mount stuff on a surface that slides into something else.

Invert the basic anatomy of a fork and then you can put mounting holes on the top half.

The major downside of this arrangement is that the stanchions become more vulnerable to minor wear and tear as well as serious crash damage. It does have significant advantages for vehicle dynamics though; no one would do it just to mount bottles in the sensible place. That’s a small fringe benefit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The problem with USD forks on bicycles from what I can tell is that the axle area is really not very rigid. Conventional forks can have a brace going over the wheel to keep everything square and solid, whereas on USD's the lower half is entirely at the mercy of how rigid the axle itself is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nine-millimetre QR axles are not at all up to the task, but with through-axles it’s possible to spec and buy stuff that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Stanchions on the bottom has been done before, not very common and never really seemed to take off on the higher end stuff, generally speaking.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/feature/RockShox-Introduces-the-RS-1,247