Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Covok posted:

I was actually saying "man, Big Finish must be ticked that this series is serialized. There isn't any point to really insert a mid-term adventure for them. They could maybe sneak in a few when they were being thrown around time from the coffee, but that's a stretch for anything more than one audio.

The new DWM's comic takes place between the end of The Star Beast and the cold open of Wild Blue Yonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

Don't be a jerk my friend

Haha, spot on. Is there one with Donna as well? I'm sure I remember Donna going on about the doctor running a sex cult or similar after being shown the previous companions

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Astroman posted:

One could also point out that NPH putting on a hammy German stereotype accent is it's own form of problematic

Germany's actions in WW2, much like British colonialism, has warranted their accents being made fun of until such point in the future where the world considers the debt repaid. :colbert:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Hunter Leopardson posted:

Haha, spot on. Is there one with Donna as well? I'm sure I remember Donna going on about the doctor running a sex cult or similar after being shown the previous companions

I think that's right after she joins? Finds some record of Martha or Rose?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I just realized that Rose Noble will call 14 “Uncle Doctor”, and I love that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

TinTower posted:

The new DWM's comic takes place between the end of The Star Beast and the cold open of Wild Blue Yonder.

I should never underestimate their mastery of slipping in stories nowadays.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

lmfao at the Toymaker going through all the Moffat companion "died, but lived forever!" endings. I hope Russell Davies sticks around writing therapy for himself for another five years. Also, I hope Ncuti actually has a proper run, with a new season every year. His version of the Doctor already looks like fun.

At the rate RTD is burning through Gatwa series, they'll have announced the next regeneration before season two starts airing.

HD DAD posted:

I want a mini series of Santa Clause Colin Baker as Six running around with Peri so bad.

I'm now upset that we'll never get an onscreen Evelyn.

Astroman posted:

At the same time 14 saying "We can be...celestial seems to redeem it a bit. I myself never saw it as a racist thing until many years later when I heard about the 19th century slur.

I suspect the story was written with the "outer space" meaning in mind and then the BBC costume designers went "Right! Got it!"

Boxturret posted:

I think that's right after she joins? Finds some record of Martha or Rose?

She finds a bit of Rose's clothes in The Runaway Bride and starts accusing the Doctor of going around and abducting women.

The Amy scene, BTW, was an extra between episodes clip so not really part of the story.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Man, everything about Ncuti's Doctor is just so fuckin rad. Every iota of him oozes charm right down to the sonic.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I just realized that Rose Noble will call 14 “Uncle Doctor”, and I love that.

Thought this said Ross Noble and was very confused.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I’m gonna laugh when the we find out the Master was saved by…herself. And she could only do it, because she had already done it, or some silly nonsense like that.

Annabel Pee posted:

Thought this said Ross Noble and was very confused.

I just wrote Rose at first, but that was ambiguous. Looks like I still failed.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

LividLiquid posted:

Because they didn't. And before you think I'm being an rear end in a top hat, I actually am going somewhere with this:

The time travel rules of Doctor Who are thus:

1.) You absolutely cannot interfere in your own timeline.

2.)Unless you already did. Then you must.

So, if you are experiencing an event for the very first time and a causal loop future you is involved or intervenes, when present you becomes the future you, you must repeat those events exactly as they happened the first time, now as the other you, Bill and Ted Circle K parking lot style.

I super love it.

On a completely different topic, I've mentioned before that I got into Doctor Who at the 50th when I was losing my father to cancer because there was an awful lot of it and I needed distractions. It was the perfect fit, turned out, because there was so much optimism amid the tragedies.

Then when I was coming to terms with being trans a few years later, they released the next Doctor promo with Jodie Whittaker and I was so jazzed with second-hand gender euphoria that I came out of the closet immediately. Like, not ten minutes later.

As for now, we had a discussion a few weeks back about changing Davros to be less lovely to disabled people and I mentioned that while I am disabled, I don't have a mobility disability and whoops! Now I do. Wheelchair for a year, cane for the rest of my life, and right as I'm coming to terms with this new adventure, The Tardis gets a wheelchair ramp.

It is uncanny how there for me, specifically, Doctor Who has been for the last ten years.

My girlfriend left me at around the time of Doomsday., I took it very hard and was mopey for years (I was a young stupid man). I really identified with Tennant-Doc

Then I decided - in 2010 - to move on. But I didn't really properly move on (because my problems were actually much older and deeper than 'gf left me', I just didn't realise it), and I decided to travel and be manic and charming (I thought) and funny and playful. I was in a seriously intense relationship with a couple, who were a nurse and a redhead named Amy. The three of us did everything together. They had a child lock on the passenger doors of their car, where I used to ride (for their niece) - this led to everyone joking that they were my 'parents'. I'd already had floppy hair for years, though I never went as far as a bowtie

Then in 2014 I started my phd because I decided to 'grow up' and be 'serious', but I was actually having a major identity crisis and was growing angry and bitter and contemptuous and misanthropic as I watched the country and the world get worse and worse. Once I started teaching I started to feel a bit better about things. I'd already been dressing in boots and a crombie coat + hoodie combo for years

Anyway, yeah, I feel ya, it's been uncanny at times

Edit oh, and yeah, after years of intensive therapy and recuperation, I am now a proud uncle with his own mad house, settling down (with the occasional adventure)

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 10, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also surprisingly subtle for Rusty as callbacks go: "I don't know... feels different this time..." as the Doctor's regenerating.

Edit: And apparently the laughter as the Master tooth is retrieved includes basically all the actors who've played the role.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 10, 2023

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm still loving reeling. Michael Gough does an accent during the trilogic game, lmao. "Unless there's something in the production notes," Jesus Christ.

In a level above the Astroman assessment, I agree with earlier posters that the implications that the Toymaker as an entity delights in using racism as part of his "game" works. If they were going to bring him back, they had to at least acknowledge it, and having him do exaggerated German, RP and cowboy American accents works.

I think having The Doctor give a big dramatic pause and say "We could be... celestial" was a mistake, though. "Let's imagine why this out-of-time villain may have been garbed in racist curios and TRY to deal with it tastefully, while making it clear that he was a villain" is good, but doing a winking nod to the term during a dramatic moment was too much.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I hope that Murray Gold song at the end is Fifteen's theme, I want to hear it slowly build while he gives some dramatic speech about stopping the bad guys from outlawing dance.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think someone made a comment about an 'Avengers' music cue when the Doctor lands at UNIT HQ, but it's actually a snippit of Twelve's theme (I maintain this is his ACTUAL theme now) "The Shepherd's Boy".

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Imagine watching this and thinking "Oh, this is bad."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sorry can't imagine, too busy smiling; dancing, etc

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hm...hand with red nail polish picks up gold tooth

Kate was wearing red nail polish

...Master as part of UNIT for its spinoff series to fill the Time Lord quota?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Vinylshadow posted:

Oh. Ohhhhh.

I mean, maybe. But really, anyone can wear red nail polish.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Barry Foster posted:

Edit oh, and yeah, after years of intensive therapy and recuperation, I am now a proud uncle with his own mad house, settling down (with the occasional adventure)

Good! Never be afraid to have an adventure!

”We all change, when you think about it. We're all different people; all through our lives, and that's okay. That's good, you've got to keep moving. So long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear.”

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The_Doctor posted:

Good! Never be afraid to have an adventure!

”We all change, when you think about it. We're all different people; all through our lives, and that's okay. That's good, you've got to keep moving. So long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear.”

:love:

If I regenerated back into the Me I'm most comfortable as, it'd be that Me. The one like him

I did find myself a bit resentful re: the last episode that one could quite easily interpret 11, 12 and 13 as a detour before the Doctor became his real/best self again (Tennant), but eh, I get the business reasoning

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Vinylshadow posted:

Hand with red nail polish picks up the Masters ring after the funeral pyre in Last of the Time Lords. Missy wears red nail polish...

thrawn527 posted:

I’m gonna laugh when the we find out the Master was saved by…herself. And she could only do it, because she had already done it, or some silly nonsense like that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No way the Master isn't Bi-generating too, probably same echo through time rules, and Masters won't be as shy about making a mess of things. How many living Master actors we got still working?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Astroman posted:

At the same time 14 saying "We can be...celestial seems to redeem it a bit. I myself never saw it as a racist thing until many years later when I heard about the 19th century slur. I mean I got that he was dressed as a Mandarin but I figured it was a stock costume this being was using, like Q dressed as a 21st century judge, not that the writers literally meant the Doctor was going against a godlike being called "The Chinese Toymaker."

It was a stock costume, they were having budget issues and had to reuse it from Marco Polo. But at the same time, by a funny coincidence,

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Has Jerusalem already posited that the Second Doctor bi-generated into Jo Martin *and* the Third Doctor?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Khanstant posted:

No way the Master isn't Bi-generating too, probably same echo through time rules, and Masters won't be as shy about making a mess of things. How many living Master actors we got still working?

Ooh. Simm!Master's fancy device stopped Missy's regular regeneration, but could it stop her bigenerating? :think:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://youtu.be/3AcN05XW1hw

Rusty gave Doctor Who a Sentai handoff -- I was primed to hate the bigeneration from leaks and nah it's brilliant and I love it

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I would like to thank this thread for educating my 50 year old self on the racist connotation of "celestial". I swear I've never encountered it, despite considering myself well-read and aware of such things. Heck, I had a great teacher in the 80's who corrected the class once that "rugs can be Oriental, but people from those areas are Asian. People are not rugs!" (I still quote that when correcting people.)

Seriously, never knew that. Is it all possible that it was a more British thing than US?

The only thing that pops to mind is the celestial goldfish, which are a weird breed where the eyes turn up. I always assumed that they were named that because they gaze heavenward all the time, and most niche breeds of goldfish come out of SE Asia anyway.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I would like to thank this thread for educating my 50 year old self on the racist connotation of "celestial". I swear I've never encountered it, despite considering myself well-read and aware of such things. Heck, I had a great teacher in the 80's who corrected the class once that "rugs can be Oriental, but people from those areas are Asian. People are not rugs!" (I still quote that when correcting people.)

Seriously, never knew that. Is it all possible that it was a more British thing than US?

The only thing that pops to mind is the celestial goldfish, which are a weird breed where the eyes turn up. I always assumed that they were named that because they gaze heavenward all the time, and most niche breeds of goldfish come out of SE Asia anyway.

I'm a 30yo Australian and I hadn't encountered it either :shobon: The more you know!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Barry Foster posted:

Anyway, yeah, I feel ya, it's been uncanny at times

:love:

Nicely done! And glad to hear it was there for you too. It really is great for that.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
AFAIK celestial is a really old-timey slur and 99% of the time it refers to space. It's just that when you look at the costume that Michael Gough is wearing and listen to the way he's talking it's clear that somebody is pulling a joke by having it mean that the Toymaker is both from the stars and Chinese.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I just want to point out that it doesn't matter one tiny little bit if a person intended something to be racist when determining whether it is, in fact, racist.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Yeah I learnt about this meaning of celestial only recently when discussing this story with a friend. Had no idea about it. Not good!

Warthur
May 2, 2004

It's kind of like how every companion who left during the Fourth Doctor era got their own K9, except Harry.

Fifth Doctor cancelled the policy because otherwise he would have been obliged to teleport a K9 onto the bridge of that ship to die with Adric.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Boy, that sure was an RTD-penned Doctor Who episode!

In unrelated news, this thread has more pages now that the season 38 thread.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I kinda like Ncuti Gatwa cartoonish almost Bugs Bunny like energy from when he wins the prize and I hope they continue with it.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

lines posted:

I assume she meant 35 days leave rather than 5 weeks (28 days being the standard, which Google tells me is 5.6 working weeks).

One for the HR negotiation when formal onboarding happens. I reckon Donna'll have it.
It might be "5 weeks not counting bank holidays and public holidays" (which can otherwise be counted in the standard 28) which shifts the balance somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I loved it...until the bi-regeneration.

Despite all its flaws, I really like Twice Upon a Twice for how it shows the bittersweet nature of regeneration (that and the Doctor/TARDIS relationship). Regeneration is about change, but it doesn't diminish what you liked about the previous actor, and ties a bow under their version of the character. It felt like it was RTD trying to have his cake and eat it. It feels like how "I don't want to go" undermined Smith for a lot of casual viewers, but on steroids.

Regeneration keeps the Doctor going, but there's a price. It's a traumatic, uncertain and painful process most of the time, which is what gives it dramatic stakes.

Also, the Doctor has had tons of breaks and time to rest? Half their off screen adventures are just them chilling.