Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I know them all IRL through my best friend, who introduced me to one of them who I've been friends with but have been growing distant from. My BF has already quit the league a year or two ago because of poo poo like this.

I'll do a Goon league next year.

Absolutely cut ties with people who you don't connect with. You'll feel better afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Getting my regular friends to converge on a single day feels like I'm summoning a moon beast on the fifth hallow of the 8th turn of the earth on the sun's Eve. Just loving impossible.

We just have a standing date of Labor Day weekend every year. Sometimes family vacations will make it so a guy or two can’t show up, but the rest of us rent an airbnb and watch college football, drink a stupid amount, and eat like poo poo, go golfing, etc.

Right now we go off of an excel sheet connected to a TV. Makes it easy for keepers. Most guys have their own computers/ranking sheets, except one guy who always flies by the seat of his pants and somehow does really well every year. I’d love for us to switch from snake to auction. If so we would definitely have to do it on ESPN and all have our own devices just so it’s not insane with the out of towners. But we would have to put multiple pauses in and it would take forever (though it would force the incredibly slow people to go faster…)

E: does anybody have any games they do draft weekend? I ran a game two years ago where I listed names of players who had been drafted in our ten year league history. Getting position correct was one point, and any team they ever played on two points. I had everybody write down their answers and then asked whoever drafted said player to tell the group. If they didn’t remember their own player they had to do a shot. 10/10 very fun time.

The Big Jesus fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 9, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Big Jesus posted:

We just have a standing date of Labor Day weekend every year. Sometimes family vacations will make it so a guy or two can’t show up, but the rest of us rent an airbnb and watch college football, drink a stupid amount, and eat like poo poo, go golfing, etc.

Right now we go off of an excel sheet connected to a TV. Makes it easy for keepers. Most guys have their own computers/ranking sheets, except one guy who always flies by the seat of his pants and somehow does really well every year. I’d love for us to switch from snake to auction. If so we would definitely have to do it on ESPN and all have our own devices just so it’s not insane with the out of towners. But we would have to put multiple pauses in and it would take forever (though it would force the incredibly slow people to go faster…)

I know this is a basic duh thing, but this year we got tired of people taking five minutes or longer on a single pick in our live draft. We had the Countdown app (https://www.bitbitapps.com/countdown/) on an iPad and after three minutes, the buzzer went off and the next person could draft immediately. It actually helped and made for some fun moments where the people after the slowasses jumped up immediately with their picks as soon as the buzzer went off.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

We run https://clickydraft.com/draftapp/ on a projector and then a very hungover commissioner manually enters the results into ESPN the next morning. Thankfully that is not me these days. Seems to work pretty well

That guessing game sounds fun. I’m sure there are some weird nobodies in the pool, especially 10 years ago when none of us knew what we were doing and half the league barely watched football

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
So nice of Jefferson to finally come back the week I’m playing against him in a win and you’re in scenario in the league I care most about.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Docjowles posted:

That guessing game sounds fun. I’m sure there are some weird nobodies in the pool, especially 10 years ago when none of us knew what we were doing and half the league barely watched football

I had one for each person in the league.
Tony Jones Jr (this guy joined the year previously and still missed it)
Preston Williams
Allen Hurns (this one was too easy but the guy who drafted him never took obscure players, always vets)
Kamar Aiken
Ladarius Green
Andre Williams
Tim Wright
Denarius Moore
Chris Givens
Isaac Redman
Brandon Pettigrew
Jon Baldwin
Dante Pettis

I threw in some fun trivia like ‘Bradley you drafted Allen Hurns one spot ahead of mahomes who was a league winner. Hurns only got 61.5 points that year.’

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Big Jesus posted:

I had one for each person in the league.
Tony Jones Jr (this guy joined the year previously and still missed it)
Preston Williams
Allen Hurns (this one was too easy but the guy who drafted him never took obscure players, always vets)
Kamar Aiken
Ladarius Green
Andre Williams
Tim Wright
Denarius Moore
Chris Givens
Isaac Redman
Brandon Pettigrew
Jon Baldwin
Dante Pettis

I threw in some fun trivia like ‘Bradley you drafted Allen Hurns one spot ahead of mahomes who was a league winner. Hurns only got 61.5 points that year.’

Stupid Bradley

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

DeepDickPizza posted:

So nice of Jefferson to finally come back the week I’m playing against him in a win and you’re in scenario in the league I care most about.

I’m sorry but I need him to crack 25 tonight.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Yall pretty well covered the big picture tradeoff of roster flexibility v time commit, but a few other points:

Snake
Much more inclusive+accessible for casual babbies
Absentees arent as shafted by snake's autodraft
Offline competitions for draft position are fun
Draft blunders have higher visibility in snake and are easier to ridicule
Availability of mock draft tools means you can actually plan

Auction
Hamstringing an opponent by making them overpay for guys they tunnelvision on is a high unattainable in snake drafts
Tricking managers into bidding on T Hill (Taysom) instead of Tyreek is very funny

Auction is 100% better for ultra sweaty leagues or in-person where you can make a day out of it. As a multiteam guy I generally prefer snake bc of the lower time commit and :ssh: the draft isnt as important as you think (waivers are) so id rather not burn an evening on an auction.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Quiet Feet posted:

You guys have friends?
Lol not enough good ones anymore when we barely made 8 people this year to keep the friends league going. We had some drafts where we got together in person but it was always just half the people in the league, getting everyone together at once is impossible

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
The only experience I have with auction drafts is the baseball league I was in for a few years and I enjoyed drafting that way. It would be cool if either one of my dynasty leagues did the rookie draft as an auction, but I imagine it would be way too much of a headache to deal with and keep it properly balanced.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Taysom is out.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1733710315160752219

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

:sigh:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Tight Ends delenda est :negative:

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Well, guess Engram is going to have to show up vs the Browns.

Anybody rolling the dice on CEH? Debating flexing him over Mattison/Doubs. Vegas seems to give him good odds but all the expert rankings hate him. I can see why, he literally hasn’t shown anything that would prove he can take on the role, but he’s gotta get SOME work, right?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I had a dream that JJ scored 4TDs, which is suboptimal because I shouldn’t be dreaming about fantasy football results lol

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Whoreson Welles posted:

Anybody rolling the dice on CEH? Debating flexing him over Mattison/Doubs. Vegas seems to give him good odds but all the expert rankings hate him. I can see why, he literally hasn’t shown anything that would prove he can take on the role, but he’s gotta get SOME work, right?

I’m excited to be starting him in one league but it’s over the likes of Rico Dowdle (if you’re thinking “wow that team must suck balls”, you’re correct).

He should get a solid amount of work on a good offense in a high scoring game. But will he be able to take advantage of the opportunity? He’s going to split time with McKinnon, and the fact that a seventh round pick was able to easily steal his job isn’t great.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

In one league I’m being forced to choose between Jordan Love and Jake Browning this week. Somehow managed to hit like every QB injury in recent weeks.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'd go Love all day because I love having Monday night games.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
James Conner's bye week was a great time for Pacheco to go out. I posted my awful lineup choices in the sit/start thread, but at least my playoff spot is secure and it doesn't matter if I lose. I might be able to jump into the 3rd seed if I win and the guy ahead of me loses, but either way I feel good about my matchup next week. I'm glad I'll have Jefferson back for the playoffs but his injury most likely cost me a 1st round bye.

I'm still not optimistic about winning this league. The clear favorite is the guy with Allen/Hill/Brown/Lamb. I might have a shot if JJ can still put up 20 points with a worse QB throwing to him and some good luck.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Something is super borked on yahoo mobile app for the matchup screen

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sorry Nico owners, immediate calf injury, return unknown

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

gently caress

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

isiah likely delivers!

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

AnacondaHL posted:

Goodbye cruel season

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Nico and Dell were my two big waiver pick ups this year. And I started Nico today.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I spent entirely too much time debating between Puka and Nico, settled on Nico due to expected volume and the Rams having Kyren to run it if the Baltimore secondary proved to be too much, and then lol

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I feel like pass interference yardage against a defense should count as yardage for the receiver for fantasy value.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Should not have swapped godert in for Njoku

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Yeah I galaxy brained and swapped Gus Bus in for Gibbs.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Tom Tucker posted:

I feel like pass interference yardage against a defense should count as yardage for the receiver for fantasy value.

Really should

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Should not have swapped godert in for Njoku

Picked up and played Njoku after Taysom was ruled out :smug:

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Whoreson Welles posted:

He did, in fact, show up.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

RIP Nico the team where I have him has been utterly cursed this season so nothing new

Tom Tucker posted:

Yeah one of the most tilting things is a long near-touchdown pass to your receiver who gets interfered with in the end zone. Then the ball goes to the goal line and turns into a rushing score instead.

Don’t think you can reasonably do anything about this since it’s not a lock that the receiver completes the catch without the penalty. It sucks though

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

CJ Stroud in concussion protocol, will not return

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Whoreson Welles posted:

He did, in fact, show up.

I have Kelce and engram and I might need to start engram in my flex soon.

E: loving hell, Engrams got almost 20 points on my bench.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 10, 2023

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Houston is cursed with injuries.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I had the Houston D and my opponent has Greg Zuerlein and I felt really good about that coming into the game considering it was supposed to be lovely in NJ. Alas.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Drake London only scores points when on my bench :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Week off to a rollicking start with Sun God, LaPorta, and Collins combining for 9.1 points