Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Chills down my spine how much I hate this. The last time I heard it was from someone who also asked me for salad dressing at increasing volumes while I listed the kinds we had available

Her “I want salad dressing”
Me - “Sure what kind?”
“Salad dressing”
- “Italian, Russian, Ranch”
Salad Dressing
- “Balsamic vinaigrette, raspberry vin”
“SALAD DRESSING”
- “I’m sorry hon could you clarify what kind for me?”
Dining partner, yelling “She wants MAYONNAISE!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

syntaxfunction posted:

I absolutely use "spicy water" since I heard a 3 year old say it cause I think it's hilariou, especially when I am drinking soda water.

I call seltzer/club soda ‘angry water’ and differentiate the brands as ‘angrier’ or ‘less angry’ than another

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

If I ask my bartender for coke and they bring me a glass of soda I’m going to be very disappointed.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Grassy Knowles posted:

Chills down my spine how much I hate this. The last time I heard it was from someone who also asked me for salad dressing at increasing volumes while I listed the kinds we had available

Me - “Sure what kind?”
“Salad dressing”
Salad Dressing
“SALAD DRESSING”

ohhhh this is like how i remember miracle whip being designated as a dressing

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Pizza sauce!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

Pizza sauce!

Can’t argue with that

Lazy_Liberal posted:

ohhhh this is like how i remember miracle whip being designated as a dressing

Items she had before her that I could try to use to guess what she wanted:

- 1/2lb beef burger, well done, american cheese, double bacon, no ltop
- 1lb (portioned frozen) waffle fries topped with nacho cheese, jalapenos, and scallions
- sweet tea
- another sweet tea
- more than 13 used sugar packets
- Insulin kit

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grassy Knowles posted:

Me - “Sure what kind?”
“Salad dressing”
Salad Dressing
“SALAD DRESSING”

I'm pretty sure the English have a kind of salad dressing that's simply called Salad dressing and is just watered down mayo

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Salad cream, guaranteed to cure your green leaves of the itis.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'm not from america, but round here folks generally indicate a carbonated beverage by emitting a shrill, keening wail.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

steinrokkan posted:

I'm pretty sure the English have a kind of salad dressing that's simply called Salad dressing and is just watered down mayo

I think you're thinking of salad cream.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it's basically runnier mayonnaise but vinegary.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Phosphine posted:

Pop, soda, whatever, don't care, but who the gently caress says "coke" as a generic term? That's explicitly short for coca cola. What.

:wrong:

You order a coke, they ask what kind, and you specify the brand name (ie. Doctor Pepper).

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Leon Sumbitches posted:

:wrong:

You order a coke, they ask what kind, and you specify the brand name (ie. Doctor Pepper).

You ask for a coke, they ask what kind, you say Coke, they ask what kind, you say Coke, they ask what kind...

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

syntaxfunction posted:

You ask for a coke, they ask what kind, you say Coke, they ask what kind, you say Coke, they ask what kind...

You ask for a coke, they ask what kind, you show them a picture on your phone. This is a goatse joke.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
"I want a burger."
"What kind?"
"Chicken sandwich."

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

"I want a burger."
"What kind?"
"Chicken sandwich."

"I want a sandwich"
"What kind?"
"Hot dog"

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
A pop tart is a sandwich

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

in my area they call it a soda tart

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

E: nope

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I grew up in a backwards tonic enclave.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
Nobody calls it coke except for absolute monsters.
"What kind of coke do you want?"
"Coke."
See how foolish you sound?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

kazil posted:

in my area they call it a soda tart

Coke tart. Fight me.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Hippocrass posted:

Coke tart. Fight me.

that's what I call ur mom :smug:

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

A man goes up to his drug dealer and asks if he has any coke. The dealer asks "Is Pepsi ok?"

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I grew up in a backwards tonic enclave.

Same here. If it was fizzy and in a can, it was tonic. My mom would wrap it in tinfoil like that was gonna do anything to keep it colder in my lunchbox. North shore of Massachusetts here. But my dad who grew up in Somersworth New Hampshire also uses the term.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

dinahmoe posted:

Same here. If it was fizzy and in a can, it was tonic. My mom would wrap it in tinfoil like that was gonna do anything to keep it colder in my lunchbox. North shore of Massachusetts here. But my dad who grew up in Somersworth New Hampshire also uses the term.

Tinfoil tonic is somehow more worrying that Canadian bagged milk.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

From Arkansas, can confirm its mostly "coke" that I heard. If you want an actual Coca Cola, the response to "what kinda coke" is "coke cola."

It was always this in Texas too. Anyone saying otherwise is a transplant pretending or a pod person.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
This debate has long plagued our country. We need to throw off all the past terms for something more neutral and boring. That is why several years ago, perhaps a decade, I switch to saying "soft drink". Be the change you want to see.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

It's no softer than any other liquid

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I just say beverage. But then people go "but that could mean alcoholic!" To which I reply with a nod and a tap on the nose.

But then they go "but that means coke! We're just going in circles here!"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lobok posted:

I just say beverage. But then people go "but that could mean alcoholic!" To which I reply with a nod and a tap on the nose.

But then they go "but that means coke! We're just going in circles here!"

A circle is just a fancy line so you've not really left coke yet.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

We call it soft drink.

Because it has no alcohol, see.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/danceyrselfdean/status/1733874851868262418

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ommin posted:

This debate has long plagued our country. We need to throw off all the past terms for something more neutral and boring. That is why several years ago, perhaps a decade, I switch to saying "soft drink". Be the change you want to see.

If you ask me for a soft drink, I will serve you apple juice.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Gone already.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

dinahmoe posted:

At least she was keeping the mind control rays out of it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Old people in some parts of Ireland still call any fizzy drink a "mineral", only its not pronounced like you think, more like "minner-dl"

"Have ye got any minnerdls in the fridge there?"

edit: and they wouldn't be thinking of coke or fanta or pepsi, none of that fancy shite, it was always going to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ill7qaxFaOA

Pookah has a new favorite as of 12:50 on Dec 11, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pookah posted:

Old people in some parts of Ireland still call any fizzy drink a "mineral", only its not pronounced like you think, more like "minner-dl"

"Have ye got any minnerdls in the fridge there?"

some real twisted poo poo :stare:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Back in 2010 I dated this girl who referred to her vehicle as a "jeep". It was a fuckin Santa Fe.

Or like how people call every tablet an iPad. Every non-apple phone is a Samsung.

'Round these parts we call cola "drinks". "Gimme a can of drinks" you'd say. I know its wrong on so many levels. If I were to go into a friends place and ask for a pop or a soda, I'd be laughed at until 2024.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm pretty sure I just use names for things, but as an overall term my brain has spat out "fizzy pop"

Try that one, see if they laugh at you less.