Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

GoldStandardConure posted:

i don't live in melbourne lol

when my partner said they preferred going to brisbane for holiday over melbourne, auspol declared them a non person. victorians very sensitive.

Ah I see. It must be all the cold weather making them that way. I find People from Sydney and Melbourne tend to have a bit of a superiority complex to them. My Aunt in Sydney is constantly talking Brisbane down, but then you go to Sydney, and you drive around on local roads in such an appalling state of repair that they wouldn’t look out of place in Nigeria, in between trips on private for profit roads and tunnels. I spent $115 in tolls on a recent road trip I did (hunter valley and Sydney) and I was in Sydney Literally from mid Sunday to Mid wednesday.

Wonderful places to visit on a Holiday, great foodie scene and all that, (Brisbane is not nearly as far behind as it used to be though) But Brisbane is a vastly superior place to actually live, you couldn’t pay me to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Brisbane is a turgid wasteland of the uninspired

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Aware posted:

Brisbane is a turgid wasteland of the uninspired

yeah it's loving great

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i prefer that musicians all move once they get to a certain level of fame bc it means you need to keep finding fresh new stuff instead of listening to tame impala for 12 years like an idiot

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

The Lord Bude posted:

and you drive around on local roads in such an appalling state of repair that they wouldn’t look out of place in Nigeria, in between trips on private for profit roads and tunnels. I spent $115 in tolls on a recent road trip I did (hunter valley and Sydney) and I was in Sydney Literally from mid Sunday to Mid wednesday.

Lots of local roads in Brisbane are poo poo too. Brisbane is a clean city which is great.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Budzilla posted:

Lots of local roads in Brisbane are poo poo too. Brisbane is a clean city which is great.

I’ve never seen anything like what I saw in Sydney. Maybe as a rare exception, but in sydney poo poo local roads were the norm. Driving around Chatswood, Naremburn and the surrounds where my Aunt lives was an eye opener. Half the roads where made from what looked like a patchwork quilt of concrete blocks instead of bitumen.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Wonderful places to visit on a Holiday, great foodie scene and all that, (Brisbane is not nearly as far behind as it used to be though) But Brisbane is a vastly superior place to actually live, you couldn’t pay me to move.

I reckon quality of live has taken a nosedive in both our big cities over the past 10 years or so. I don't regret moving to Melbourne but it's hard not to look back at friends and family my age in Perth and not feel jealous of how comparatively easy it is for them to buy a house, how short their commutes are etc. (Alternate explanation is that I'm just getting old.)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

trunkh posted:

Note that Brisbane City Council is equivalent to 30 plus local government areas if it was located in a another state and has budgets, over 4 billion dollars. In short it's quite powerful and holds significant influence.

Having done a bit of work with local government now the absolute gulf of what it's like working with like any other LGA vs. Brisbane City Council is absolutely mindblowing. Imagine public servants basically competent at their job. Actual funding and resources. Human IP and organisational memory. Processes.

For all it's faults, there is absolutely an economy of scale and BCC highlights that having one local government for a major city absolutely works and still allows for local issues to be heard and dealt with.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I know nothing about Brisbane or LGAs as I’m a useless Canberra person. How is it the LNP has the BCC locked down when I thought Brisbane was all ALP/Greens otherwise for state/Federal electorates?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
In short, it’s a land of contrasts.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Hehehehe... turgid

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

The Lord Bude posted:

Ah I see. It must be all the cold weather making them that way. I find People from Sydney and Melbourne tend to have a bit of a superiority complex to them. My Aunt in Sydney is constantly talking Brisbane down, but then you go to Sydney, and you drive around on local roads in such an appalling state of repair that they wouldn’t look out of place in Nigeria, in between trips on private for profit roads and tunnels. I spent $115 in tolls on a recent road trip I did (hunter valley and Sydney) and I was in Sydney Literally from mid Sunday to Mid wednesday.

coming up on a decade living in Brisbane after a long time in Sydney and just the biggest lol at pretending the roads here aren't absolute trash in huge swathes of the city

Hell, I live fifteen minutes from the centre of town and half our streets have no gutters and just randomly have sections that are one lane country lanes

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Blamestorm posted:

I know nothing about Brisbane or LGAs as I’m a useless Canberra person. How is it the LNP has the BCC locked down when I thought Brisbane was all ALP/Greens otherwise for state/Federal electorates?

bcc lnp have had at least the basic competence not to wildly gently caress up and are bland managerial types instead of focusing on hard-right socially conservative policies and trying to privatise everything. labor also just hasn't really tried at a council election in forever - they put all their resources into state elections and anyone with any real ambition goes to state parliament too. optional preferential voting also disadvantages the left by splitting the labor/greens vote a bit.

most of brisbane is labor/greens federally now but not all - there's still bonner and half of petrie, and ryan and brisbane were long-held by the lnp until last year's election.

the bcc election in march might really shake up the lnp dominance though. there's a whole lot of wards where the greens should be competitive now and if labor continue their lack of effort it's not impossible the greens become the second biggest party.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Lord Bude posted:

I’ve never seen anything like what I saw in Sydney. Maybe as a rare exception, but in sydney poo poo local roads were the norm. Driving around Chatswood, Naremburn and the surrounds where my Aunt lives was an eye opener. Half the roads where made from what looked like a patchwork quilt of concrete blocks instead of bitumen.

Last time I was up in Brisbane the roads were a confusing utter mess worse than Sydney but I certainly wont be denying local roads east of Homebush have some absolute shockers.

Now be as it may with various parochial and bias iopinion outside of that...

quote:

very tangibly the best run large city in the country.

I dont think I can argue against that based on CBD area. Cycling in Brisbane CBD beat Sydney CBD hands down until the light rail and pandemic changed where and how you can cycle

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

I went back to Hobart in perhaps the first time in a decade and the number of Ford Ranger sized cars clogging the place was loving crazy. You already have tiny congested streets with tiny cramped parking spaces and here you have half the population driving these oversized cars. What an absolute poo poo show it was driving around.

Although I had forgotten how beautiful the city was with the mountain and the river.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Ten to twenty years ago Melbourne seemed flat out the easiest city in Australia to live in - not as expensive as Sydney, great culture and food, relatively good transport. I was staggered when I was in the Brisbane CBD how much it had changed over the past ten years (for the better) and it does feel like Melbourne has been crossing some kind of tipping point in terms of congestion and cost. I was planning to move back there sometime next few years but I have been rethinking.

Am I nuts or had Melbourne just gotten plain worse? To keep it vaguely auspol related, what do we see as the trajectories for our three big cities over the next decade?

Sydney seems irreparably have/have nots now and just seems like a broken nightmare unless you are super rich. Is Melbourne trending this way too? (Or there already - without the harbour and beaches)

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

SecretOfSteel posted:

I went back to Hobart in perhaps the first time in a decade and the number of Ford Ranger sized cars clogging the place was loving crazy. You already have tiny congested streets with tiny cramped parking spaces and here you have half the population driving these oversized cars. What an absolute poo poo show it was driving around.

Although I had forgotten how beautiful the city was with the mountain and the river.

While there are a lot of em I also feel like I see the most EVs on the road when I visit Hobart.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Blamestorm posted:

Ten to twenty years ago Melbourne seemed flat out the easiest city in Australia to live in - not as expensive as Sydney, great culture and food, relatively good transport. I was staggered when I was in the Brisbane CBD how much it had changed over the past ten years (for the better) and it does feel like Melbourne has been crossing some kind of tipping point in terms of congestion and cost. I was planning to move back there sometime next few years but I have been rethinking.

Am I nuts or had Melbourne just gotten plain worse? To keep it vaguely auspol related, what do we see as the trajectories for our three big cities over the next decade?

Sydney seems irreparably have/have nots now and just seems like a broken nightmare unless you are super rich. Is Melbourne trending this way too? (Or there already - without the harbour and beaches)

Melbourne rapidly deindustrialised into phoney urban renewal, got the most liveable city disease and put huge amounts of power in the planning minister's hands which lead to a lot of wildcat development.

The quality of new development is generally very low and poorly urban planned. The wastes of the Docklands redevelopment was the template for much of what was to come after.

Also complete lack of interest/oversight in development on the fringes which became sprawling and poorly serviced.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 11, 2023

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I've been on this forum for so long people have started saying Brisbane is indeed Strong

Shannon Fentiman to run for Queensland Labor leadership

The Queensland health minister, Shannon Fentiman, is set to announce a run for the Labor leadership.

Fentiman’s candidacy potentially splits the Labor left vote with the frontrunner, deputy premier Steven Miles.

The treasurer, Cameron Dick, from the right faction, is also understood to be still talking to colleagues and considering a run.

A 3 way spill nearly official.

Anidav fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 11, 2023

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

SecretOfSteel posted:

Hobart is indeed a beautiful city. I loved the wrought iron and olde timey colonial architecture.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've never been to Brisbane except the bit around the convention centre. The drive from the airport is nice enough I guess.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Fentiman? well thats just too close to fentanyl

we cant be having that

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

freebooter posted:

I reckon quality of live has taken a nosedive in both our big cities over the past 10 years or so. I don't regret moving to Melbourne but it's hard not to look back at friends and family my age in Perth and not feel jealous of how comparatively easy it is for them to buy a house, how short their commutes are etc. (Alternate explanation is that I'm just getting old.)

I have a several of friends who quite like/liked living in Melbourne and Sydney and the defining characteristic of all of them was a lifestyle whereby they lived in the inner parts of the city and didn’t drive. In the case of Sydney on a train line, in the case of Melbourne within the area covered by trams.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Blamestorm posted:

The upcoming election has a decent chance of seeing a bunch of greens get elected, and even an outside chance of a Green Mayor, but the tldr up till now is that there isn’t a huge amount of room for partisan culture war poo poo in local government; and they have a track record of actual sensible competent management of stuff, so there’s never been an impetus to sweep things clean.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Lord Bude posted:

I have a several of friends who quite like/liked living in Melbourne and Sydney and the defining characteristic of all of them was a lifestyle whereby they lived in the inner parts of the city and didn’t drive. In the case of Sydney on a train line, in the case of Melbourne within the area covered by trams.

Yeah I'm in inner city Melbourne and within a short walk from my house there's several tram lines, several bus routes and a train station and my travel pass works on all of them. The bus route that goes past my house doesn't run on Sundays which is slightly annoying but there's several nearby that do.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Fentiman? well thats just too close to fentanyl

we cant be having that

Fentiman was just a mild QLD mannered cop, minding his business beating a poor person (of colour) when tragedy struck! A truck carrying Fentanyl spilling a barrel containing 3mL of the deadly substance on the road 1.2km away! Instantly overcome by the fumes, Fentiman fell into a coma, and awoke with strange new powers...

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

hooman posted:

Fentiman was just a mild QLD mannered cop, minding his business beating a poor person (of colour) when tragedy struck! A truck carrying Fentanyl spilling a barrel containing 3mL of the deadly substance on the road 1.2km away! Instantly overcome by the fumes, Fentiman fell into a coma, and awoke with strange new powers...

Extremely durable sleep

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Blamestorm posted:

This is an ongoing symptom of the increasing divide between rich and poor across the entire nation. It just sticks out more in Sydney ('cause Sydney sucks).

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

is the idea behind splitting up the capital city LGAs that smaller councils are easier to get captured by private development interests, and/or less clout to fight back state stuff?

lih
May 15, 2013

it's more a result of the capital city lgas often dating back to the 19th century, with only limited amalgamations taking place in states other than queensland since then because those are always politically difficult so the states rarely want to bother. brisbane being a larger lga that covers most of the metro area dates back to 1924 too, it's all just inertia and that queensland made the right decision a century ago and none of the other states did.

lih fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 11, 2023

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Blamestorm posted:

Sydney is just an unaffordable mess for living in it.

On the other hand a lot of the infra issues have been fixed in the last decade and there's a bunch of others nearing completion or inbuild that will fix quite a few glaring problems of public transport. You might even dare say a lot of Sydney's PT and planning is actually pretty drat good now and even matches / surpasses Europe especially when it comes to the Metro and the associated urban planning. Thank christ Minns hasn't made the bonehead mistakes of Carr and Wran so far and decided to keep the ball rolling - Much of what he's announced was already in process but he's managed to repackage it so it sounds like Labor came up with it (They didnt, it was all in design up to a decade ago, but frankly I'm willing to let that pass as Labor hasn't cancelled anything)

Cycling has improved greatly in the last decade apart from some notable bonehead stupidity (big gently caress you to Bicycle NSW for having a hand in those ones) and Sydney itself is perfectly fine to get around on a bike, more so after the pandemic introduced "temp" bike lanes that.... just have not gone away. Also the main west route for cycling via Lilyfield Rd is about to repoen which will make a noticable difference.

The proposed third CBD of Bradfield is looking like it will have a lot of infra from day one which is going to be a surprising change.

The downside of all this new infra is that they can still gently caress it up and there's no excusing the shitfest that is Rozelle Interchange and they really should have pushed expanding/building the Metro and light rail. And there cant be enough cycling infra. And there should be rebates for e-bikes because Sydney being hilly means it can be daunting for new cyclists BUT also the perfect place for an e-Bike.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
kerry stokes is going to pay for brs costs to avoid handing over their internal correspondence.

there must be something they REALLY REALLY REALLY dont want anyone to know

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i wish minns would throw the central coast a bone, i hate having to ride trains older than me

the new trains went from being rolled out late this year to early next year to now late next year

they've been approved since 2021 :negative:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

i wish minns would throw the central coast a bone, i hate having to ride trains older than me

the new trains went from being rolled out late this year to early next year to now late next year

they've been approved since 2021 :negative:

The main issue is that the new trains are fully capable of one crew operation with the guard position changed to being a customer service staff like in Europe. Main train union doesnt want that to happen so they are being re-programmed to allow for the guard's door to remain open when the train is approaching/leaving stations.

The new trains are not a safety issue, the old and falling apart V-Sets we have to put up with in the meantime are.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

lih posted:

it's more a result of the capital city lgas often dating back to the 19th century, with only limited amalgamations taking place in states other than queensland since then because those are always politically difficult so the states rarely want to bother. brisbane being a larger lga that covers most of the metro area dates back to 1924 too, it's all just inertia and that queensland made the right decision a century ago and none of the other states did.

Having one giant council for us in Brisbane is great for some things and absolute dogshit for others, especially if you don't live in an lnp area. While they've got tonnes of money to do big projects it also leads to a massive focus on the centre of the city and the outer areas get laughable levels of some services. Coming from Sydney, having smaller council areas meant that outer areas had a higher chance of actually getting any money spent on them and although there was no decent city planning going on you could at least be reasonably certain of getting things like sidewalks, finished roads and the like.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The main issue is that the new trains are fully capable of one crew operation with the guard position changed to being a customer service staff like in Europe. Main train union doesnt want that to happen so they are being re-programmed to allow for the guard's door to remain open when the train is approaching/leaving stations.

The new trains are not a safety issue, the old and falling apart V-Sets we have to put up with in the meantime are.

yeah i saw it said there was still testing going on, you'd think nowadays that that could just be sorted out with an OTA update to the train software instead of im guessing having to reprogram every train manually

i really hate the v sets, i can get a h set/oscar if i get the early train of a morning but i dont think i have ever seen one go north of an afternoon

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

i really hate the v sets

I aint got nothing else up my way and agreed, I really hate them as well esp how hosed they are for bike commuting. The new D-Sets have got some really neat purpose built bike areas I cant wait to be able to use

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
its great going past the d sets at the tuggerah train yard and the one thats currently sat at gosford, all of them doing nothing

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

its great going past the d sets at the tuggerah train yard and the one thats currently sat at gosford, all of them doing nothing

they take them out for maintenance rides without passengers in the middle of the night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

iajanus posted:

Having one giant council for us in Brisbane is great for some things and absolute dogshit for others, especially if you don't live in an lnp area. While they've got tonnes of money to do big projects it also leads to a massive focus on the centre of the city and the outer areas get laughable levels of some services. Coming from Sydney, having smaller council areas meant that outer areas had a higher chance of actually getting any money spent on them and although there was no decent city planning going on you could at least be reasonably certain of getting things like sidewalks, finished roads and the like.

i think this is more just labor not giving a poo poo ever than anything else, because if they actually tried then the lnp might actually feel some pressure to deliver rather than just coasting on mediocrity.